PDA

View Full Version : Joakim Noah Arrested

Jared Jammer
05-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Bulls' Noah arrested for possession of marijuana (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/sports&id=6164660)

Sunday, May 25, 2008 | 1:04 PM

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Authorities in Gainesville have charged Chicago Bulls forward and former Florida star Joakim Noah with possession of marijuana and having an open container of alcohol.

Looks like we can take him out of any proposed trades with the Bulls.

Shade
05-25-2008, 05:32 PM
In other news, today is Sunday, the sky is blue, and I'm pissed off about something.

Looks like we can take him out of any proposed trades with the Bulls.

This is the best news I've heard in a looooong time.

tdubb03
05-25-2008, 05:50 PM
My biggest issue is figuring out what Noah is doing still going to cup parties.

Anthem
05-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Thug.

BlueNGold
05-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Not exactly shocking after hearing him open his mouth in an interview about a year ago.

So predictable...

Trader Joe
05-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Not exactly shocking after hearing him open his mouth in an interview about a year ago.

So predictable...

I still just attribute that to him being an idiot.

jeffg-body
05-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Was David Harrison there selling him the weed?

cgg
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
This is clearly karma for the lottery and they surely have inherited Pacer luck. The downfall of their franchise is imminent.

ajbry
05-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Noah looks - and acts - like a dude who's blazed 24/7.

Not surprised. Should put down the weed and work on his jumper...

Shade
05-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Noah looks - and acts - like a dude who's blazed 24/7.

Not surprised. Should put down the weed and work on his jumper...

If he wasn't toasted 24/7, he'd probably have no game at all.

Hoop
05-25-2008, 11:13 PM
There is only a few teams right now that the majority of the players would pass a drug test for weed. The 4 teams left in the playoffs, and I'd bet not all them would pass.

Wonder what would happen if a player that lives in California had a prescription for weed and challenged the NBA about it's use?

SycamoreKen
05-26-2008, 12:50 AM
I think if a player needed a perscription for weed he would have bigger problems than playing basketball. I completely disagree with your statement about usage. I think a majority of the players don't use it, just like society.

LoneGranger33
05-26-2008, 12:54 AM
A majority of the people who contributed to this post have experimented with marijuana.

Noah is stupid. Don't blame the weed though.

Shade
05-26-2008, 01:19 AM
A majority of the people who contributed to this post have experimented with marijuana.

Not me. I'm naturally in a constant state of confusion. :thumbsup:

Mourning
05-26-2008, 01:42 AM
If he wasn't toasted 24/7, he'd probably have no game at all.

ROFL! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

duke dynamite
05-26-2008, 02:01 AM
This is clearly karma for the lottery and they surely have inherited Pacer luck. The downfall of their franchise is imminent.
I thought this had already started when MJ retired (for the last time as a Bull)...

duke dynamite
05-26-2008, 02:02 AM
There is only a few teams right now that the majority of the players would pass a drug test for weed. The 4 teams left in the playoffs, and I'd bet not all them would pass.

Source?

...just curious.

Los Angeles
05-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Hoop,

It that were lifetime, I would agree with you.

But under current silly rules, I think the majority of players know the formula to follow regarding when to smoke/consume and when to lay off.

So, while I feel that greater than 40% of NBA players enjoy the benefits of marijuana at least annually, I think that most know how to skirt the rules in terms of when and when not to smoke it out.

Therefore, the majority of conference finalists would overwhelmingly test negative.

Trader Joe
05-26-2008, 04:13 AM
I know there is a statistic that shows the majority of teenagers has at least tried marijuana. I'd imagine that the stat stays pretty true as people grow older. In fact, I'd be willing to bet the majority of this country has at least tried it, if not used it multiple times. For the record, I don't and no I don't think it should be legalized either, but I also think believing that it is a small percentage or even a smallish percentage is kidding yourself.

Anthem
05-26-2008, 02:46 PM
I know there is a statistic that shows the majority of teenagers has at least tried marijuana.
:link:

In fact, I'd be willing to bet the majority of this country has at least tried it, if not used it multiple times.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

You think that over 150 million Americans have used pot?

:link:

Major Cold
05-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Why? Why is it that everytime that a NBA player is brought up, we have people who want to debate the use or legalization. Write your congressman and take it to UNPd.

Jonathan
05-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I do not care about Noah and his arrest
The Facts is this; kid is millionaire he will be given pretrial diversion and if he did not have over 30 grams of weed he will only be charged with open container.

Legalization of Weed is no the big deal, the issue here is as follows the court system is ran by the government the more money the better the treatment.

Kraft
05-26-2008, 04:05 PM
You think that over 150 million Americans have used pot?

First off, let me say this debate interests me little. But, for the sake of real numbers ... I stuck to government sites looking for a study of some sort. I'm sure there's other studies that have it lower. Does it matter? Either way, it's prevalent.

http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k6state/ageTabs.htm

Look at Table 2.

Did I read it correctly? $25+ million Americans in that year used marijuana, according to the estimate.

Another study: http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

Nearly 45 percent of high school seniors in 2005 had tried marijuana in their lifetimes? Maybe, maybe not. But there's some numbers.

Now move this to some other board in the nexus of nowhere.

Noah's just an idiot. That's what I really think about the subject. He could be a nice player, though.

Naptown_Seth
05-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I really hate you guys. A full freaking page and not one of you lazy chumps has made the REQUIRED adjustment. Ugh. LG33, I expect better from you especially. I'll assume Redd is on vacation right now. Here's my first draft...

"Potential future Pacer Noah caught in major drug sting, Mike Dunleavy not apparently involved."

Sheesh, it's like we've got to write these AP headline ourselves anymore. They're really letting me down.

Dece
05-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I would agree with the statement that the majority of Americans have at least tried it. I honestly have to struggle to think of people I know who haven't tried it, and I'm not even a user myself, I can only imagine it'd be harder to do if I was.

Trader Joe
05-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Yep, that was my point. Never said the majority of Americans used it consistently, but I'd be willing to bet the majority has at least tried it. Most surveys I've seen quote a number right around 40% which typically stretches somwhere between 85-90 million Americans, and I've taken enough of those surveys (they were required in my high school) to know that there is a large proportion of users who answer no to the question of use. Even if we say that 85-90 million Americans have tried it thats enough for me to find it downright silly when we criticize someone for using it. Especially when we have cigarettes legalized and the percentages of high school seniors who have tried cigarettes and high school seniors who have tried marijuana aren't all that different. (22% for cigarettes and 18% for marijuana, it gets even closer when you go down to tenth graders who have tried cigs and weed 14.5% of tenth graders claimed they have smoked cigarettes while 14.2% have smoked marijuana, again I doubt that number accurate, regardless its shocking when you consider one of them is available at your local gas station.)

grace
05-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Why? Why is it that everytime that a NBA player is brought up, we have people who want to debate the use or legalization. Write your congressman and take it to UNPd.

:ding:

Trader Joe
05-26-2008, 04:42 PM
BTW, I'm not really sure what this thread is supposed to be about if we aren't discussing the ramifications of him being arrested for possesion. It would seem to me discussing the scope and severity of marijuana use would be essential to the topic at hand. Its not like this was a thread about Noah doing charity work and someone said,"Hey, he looks blazed 24/7." and then someone replied "Well even if he was who cares..." etc. This was a thread about him being ARRESTED for possesion. Thus discussing marijuana use is applicable to the topic at hand. I'm not sure what else we would be talking about in here otherwise.

Hicks
05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
This thread needs to get back on track (that is, off the weed stats and legalization stuff), or it will be closed.

SycamoreKen
05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
All of the sites I saw had the use being at 1/3 of the adult population and less than 1/4 of the high school and under.

Oh yea, Noahs a dork.

I replied before I saw your message Hicks.

grace
05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh yea, Noahs a dork.

Much in the way Cabbage Patch Dolls are considered cute Noah is adorable in his own dorky kind of way.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/SportSyndicate/Sport%20Syndicate/Bulls/Joakim_Noah.jpg

That thud you heard was Shade slamming his head against his desk. :evillaugh

Trader Joe
05-26-2008, 07:56 PM
This thread needs to get back on track (that is, off the weed stats and legalization stuff), or it will be closed.

I'm not sure what else we would talk about on this topic then. Might as well not even have threads about players getting arrested then since it is technically a politics/news/legal issue and has nothing to do with basketball. Its not like I'm going to come into this thread and start talking about what I do or don't like about Noah's game.

Hicks
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll attempt to clarify: Talk away about Noah or NBA players smoking weed. But when it moves from that to the morality of weed, or the general populace using weed, then it has shifted from the NBA to the off-topic.

Is there a gray area there? Absolutely. Until stated otherwise, assume we Admins will play it "tight" when it comes to which side of the fence we feel discussions fall on.

Trader Joe
05-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Fair enough.

Anthem
05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure what else we would talk about on this topic then. Might as well not even have threads about players getting arrested then since it is technically a politics/news/legal issue and has nothing to do with basketball.
I imagine that if he was arrested for beating his wife, we could manage to discuss that without getting into the legality of domestic abuse. If he was arrested for dogfighting we could discuss that without worrying about the ethical issues.

Would it be a short thread? Sure. But it's not like we're getting paid by the page.

JayRedd
05-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Counters are.

Major Cold
05-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Fair enough.

To be honest I see them more fair than anything.

<<---wipes brown smudge

Shade
05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Much in the way Cabbage Patch Dolls are considered cute Noah is adorable in his own dorky kind of way.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/SportSyndicate/Sport%20Syndicate/Bulls/Joakim_Noah.jpg

That thud you heard was Shade slamming his head against his desk. :evillaugh

Ow. :headache:

Shade
05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Counters are.

Yup. I already transferred my 401K.

Slick Pinkham
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
He was also stopped and cited for driving with a suspended license and not wearing a seat belt, ON THE SAME DAY!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3415386

It's not stated if this was before or after the drinking/smoking, and that would seem to be important.

Hicks
05-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I wonder if the Bulls fans will now turn on him like some people turned on Shawne Williams prior to the "murder incident". :laugh: God that's so sad to type.

Speed
05-28-2008, 12:09 PM
I wish there was a way to get Noah and Verajeo. If you could put Foster on the court with them, I think many teams may just forfeit at that point.

And yes, that is a good-azz line up.

Naptown_Seth
05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I wonder if the Bulls fans will now turn on him like some people turned on Shawne Williams prior to the "murder incident". :laugh: God that's so sad to type.
Seriously, that would be a point here. Other players have incidents on par with the Pacers and it doesn't become something because it's just kicked aside and forgotten.

The Bulls aren't thugs because nothing happens, the Bulls aren't thugs because no one cares. They don't sum up "all" the incidents in order to shape that kind of opinion. Same with most of the other teams.

I mean the Portland guys weren't caught with A joint, I think Damon/Sheed were caught with pounds in the trunk IIRC (someone on the team was). They got their rep by going big time, not by adding up scuffles or problems with associates rather than themselves.

It's the brawl, that's why they started keeping a running score with the Pacers. Otherwise it would be forgotten. I mean right now Ron's had trouble in Sacto but it's still the Pacers, ie Dunleavy, Granger, JO, Murphy, Diener, Foster, etc that have the bad rep.

I know Shawne, Hulk, Tins and Quis have their things, but Hulk didn't get the Birdman ban, he got they "you're dumb" suspension. Quis got the "you were around" ding. Shawne got the "this bad guy knows you" ding. Tins got the "someone shot at me" ding.

I'm certain that Tins has helped these incidents pop up, seems likely that he's been active in these scrapes, but even still it's barely criminal behavior.

But if you extract Ak-47, murderer, drugs it sounds like Goodfellas. Only thing is John Gotti called and laughed at this boy scouts version of gangster. Knowing a bad dude or being attacked by a bad dude doesn't make you a bad dude, any more than if you replaced "bad" with "tough" or "smart" or "nice".

So Noah's thing will fade just like Harrison's thing is fading. If the local press doesn't beat the drum daily and scream blood murder the national press stops paying attention.

Major Cold
05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I wish there was a way to get Noah and Verajeo. If you could put Foster on the court with them, I think many teams may just forfeit at that point.

And yes, that is a good-azz line up.
Who would score? Who would play the wing?

Since86
05-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I know Shawne, Hulk, Tins and Quis have their things, but Hulk didn't get the Birdman ban, he got they "you're dumb" suspension. Quis got the "you were around" ding. Shawne got the "this bad guy knows you" ding. Tins got the "someone shot at me" ding.

I'm certain that Tins has helped these incidents pop up, seems likely that he's been active in these scrapes, but even still it's barely criminal behavior.

Man, are you over-simplifying things.

Tinsley just doesn't have the "someone shot at me" ding. He's got Club Rio, or Cloud 9, whatever ding along with it. Me not being able to keep straight who got in trouble where, without looking it up just proves my point.

When you have posters counting the days since the last negative PR piece, that's trouble.

If Tinsley just had the "someone shot at me" ding, without his other incident(s), or without other teammates getting in trouble, it would be looked at totally different.

But when Shawne gets busted for driving without a liscense, has pot in the car, misses his court date because he forgot or whatever lame *** excuse, then has someone arrested on a warrant from Tenn. for murder, found with pot, and large amount of cash, it's a lot more than "this bad guy knows you" ding. It's a pattern. How many times does he have to have dings, before he's not worth the trouble? Instead of wanting them to stop having dings all together, you're just going to preach about how each one isn't a big deal, because they're "hardly criminal?" The fact that they ARE criminal is a big enough deal. Don't have dings and we won't have this problem.

Each incident on their own isn't a big deal, that's what your over-simplifying. Two or three things on a team easy to overlook, nine or ten is a different subject matter all together.

I honestly can't believe you're trying to make this about the fanbase overreacting, or the press for harping on incidents. If they don't have dings then there is nothing to overreact to or for the press to write about. Be responsible, keep your nose clean, and you won't have any problems.

If you read a story about someone robbing a store and getting busted because they were caught on camera? Do you say they should have robbed a store without survellience? Hell no. You call them an idiot for even doing what they did. You don't blame the press for them writing the headline, you blame the retard who committed the act.

No one is to blame on the reputation that the players have, but the players themselves. Don't want to be known as someone who hangs out with people wanted for murder? Then don't hang out with people wanted for murder. It's common sense. Whether you like it or not, you are associated by those you keep company with, and the actions you perform in the public eye. Have your name in and out of the paper for something negative and people will think negatively of you. It doesn't matter how many thousands you donate, how many people you help, because that's not what gets read. You send a 1000 people to college for free, and kill just one person, and you will be identified as a killer. That's how the world works, like it or not.

Speed
05-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Who would score? Who would play the wing?

David Harrison & Kris Camen (who isn't crazy, but looks enough so), and the guy who yanked his nuts coming off the bench.

My teams on the floor.... I said my teams on the floor.

Crap, I almost forget RonRon at the Point!

Dr. Goldfoot
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
I think people make too big a deal about things that don't really matter. Is anybody really surprised that Noah smokes pot? Is anybody really surprised that professional jocks aren't the sharpest tools in the shed? Is anybody really surprised that there are a few bad apples on our local teams? I'm not and I don't expect that to change ever. Pro athletes will continue to make asses of themselves to varying degrees. None of the players involved in this discussion have done anything to warrant such detestation. These guys aren't Mike Vick, Caruth or Jayson Williams or to lesser degrees Strawberry, Steve Howe, The Birdman, Tarpley or Pete Rose. None of them have been banned from the league or put in jail, hell they haven't even been arrested to my knowledge. Have any of our troubled players spent time in jail? I'm moving on and see no reason to continue to cite past transgressions that never amounted to a hill of beans in the first place.

Not to mention, this guy was never even in a discussion to become a Pacer in the first place. These rambling morality based threads are whack!

Shade
05-28-2008, 02:37 PM
No wonder Joakim is such an idiot; from listening to his father, it sounds like it runs in the family.

Unclebuck
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
No wonder Joakim is such an idiot; from listening to his father, it sounds like it runs in the family.

My thoughts exactly

d_c
05-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Not to mention, this guy was never even in a discussion to become a Pacer in the first place. These rambling morality based threads are whack!

I agree with that. It's pretty overblown.

Shade
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I wonder how this story will be spun to include the Pacers.

Chicago Bulls forward Joakim Noah, who played against the Indianapolis Pacers four times last season...

grace
05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I wonder how this story will be spun to include the Pacers.

Chicago Bulls forward Joakim Noah, who is a favorite player of the Indianapolis Pacers' fan Shade...

:evillaugh

BillS
05-28-2008, 04:33 PM
"Indiana Pacers neighbor Chicago Bulls forward Joakim Noah..."

Hoop
05-29-2008, 03:05 AM
I think people make too big a deal about things that don't really matter. Is anybody really surprised that Noah smokes pot? Is anybody really surprised that professional jocks aren't the sharpest tools in the shed? Is anybody really surprised that there are a few bad apples on our local teams? I'm not and I don't expect that to change ever. Pro athletes will continue to make asses of themselves to varying degrees. None of the players involved in this discussion have done anything to warrant such detestation. These guys aren't Mike Vick, Caruth or Jayson Williams or to lesser degrees Strawberry, Steve Howe, The Birdman, Tarpley or Pete Rose. None of them have been banned from the league or put in jail, hell they haven't even been arrested to my knowledge. Have any of our troubled players spent time in jail? I'm moving on and see no reason to continue to cite past transgressions that never amounted to a hill of beans in the first place.

:cheers: