PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the 8th player the Pacer's protect?

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 10:24 AM
It's pretty much agreed on here who seven of the players are that Indiana will protect from the expansion draft.

1]JO
2]Ron
3]Al
4]Tins
5]Foster
6]Bender
7]Fred Jones

It's that eighth player that most of us disagree on. We also mostly agree that Croshere and Pollard will not be protected. Since K. Anderson and J. Brewer are free agents they can't be selected or protected. I simply don't know about JJ. Bruno on Pacers.com said he was a free agent. The Star indicated he wasn't.

That leaves the eighth player to be protected from among this list.

Reggie
Brezac
Johnson
JJ

Unclebuck
06-11-2004, 10:39 AM
it has to be between Reggie and AJ.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 10:40 AM
I voted Reggie.

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 10:40 AM
It is going to be Reggie. I don't know how you can think otherwise. Loyalty.

bulletproof
06-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Maybe a better question would be, "Who is the 8th player that should be protected?"

Fool
06-11-2004, 12:01 PM
See I would think Reggie wouldn't need to be protected. Would Charlotte really take Miller?

Slick Pinkham
06-11-2004, 12:07 PM
See I would think Reggie wouldn't need to be protected. Would Charlotte really take Miller?

There is absolutely ZERO chance of them taking Reggie for themselves, and almost ZERO chance they would take him for trade value, and almost ZERO chance that he would do anything other than retire if selected.

For these 3 reasons I think it is absolutely stupid to consider protecting him. Yes, I remember Byron Scott. But he was younger and cheaper.

Hicks
06-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Should be AJ, will be Reggie, which is why I voted for Reggie.

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 12:14 PM

There is absolutely ZERO chance of them taking Reggie for themselves, and almost ZERO chance they would take him for trade value, and almost ZERO chance that he would do anything other than retire if selected.

For these 3 reasons I think it is absolutely stupid to consider protecting him. Yes, I remember Byron Scott. But he was younger and cheaper.

I agree with every word you wrote! What's more I think Reggie's contract is guaranteed. If so, that's means if Charlotte takes him and he retires then they are stuck with paying the $12 million remaining on his contract!

What's more if it's guaranteed, Walsh and Reggie did it that way on purpose so that Charlotte would not be tempted to take him. In other words Reggie knows he's not going to be protected!

indygeezer
06-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Can you imagine what it will do to the P's if AJ is left unprotected and tthen claimed? We've said we needed a SG and a 5, but all of a sudden we'd have a need for a BU 1. (No it wouldn't be KA)

Doug
06-11-2004, 12:58 PM
What's more if it's guaranteed, Walsh and Reggie did it that way on purpose so that Charlotte would not be tempted to take him. In other words Reggie knows he's not going to be protected!

That makes sense to me. I voted Reggie, but if Walsh and Reggie talked about that when he signed the contract, then I can see that scenario.

Trace
06-11-2004, 01:12 PM
I think it will be AJ. He seems entrenched as the backup PG and Carlisle seems to have faith in him. Why would Charlotte take Reggie? Too much money, too little production. Most likely, he would just retire, rather than leave the Pacers and play another season for a struggling expansion team.

I could see them protecting Reggie out of respect or something, but it doesn't make alot of sense.

indygeezer
06-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Some names are beginning to surface out of the Pacer's office. I'm hearing the PacerMan and Will Galen were left unprotected. WIll I can see as being to old to be of any value...not sure about Pacerman.

Reggie4Three
06-11-2004, 01:26 PM
If Charlotte takes Reggie and he retires, does his salary count against their cap?

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 01:30 PM
If Charlotte takes Reggie and he retires, does his salary count against their cap?

I believe so.

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 01:48 PM

No. They can take 29 players if they want but the only ones that will count against the cap will be the ones that make the season opening roster. Of course they would still have to pay all 29.

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 02:00 PM
I think it will be AJ. He seems entrenched as the backup PG and Carlisle seems to have faith in him. Why would Charlotte take Reggie? Too much money, too little production. Most likely, he would just retire, rather than leave the Pacers and play another season for a struggling expansion team.

I could see them protecting Reggie out of respect or something, but it doesn't make alot of sense.

AJ is a restricted free agent. If Charlotte takes him he becomes a free agent and can sign with any team, the only exception being the Pacer's. He couldn't play for the Pacer's for a year unless he was passed on waivers by the other 29 teams.

Being a restricted free agent AJ can opt out of his contract and then resign with anyone including the Pacer's. Hence, if the Pacer's are afraid of losing him they can just tell him to opt out and they will resign him. Give him a bit more money or another year on his contract to do so. That way the Pacers could protect someone else.

If AJ opts out in the next few days we know that's what the Pacer's are probably doing. If he doesn't opt out then the Pacer's either don't care if he is taken or they think Charlotte will take someone else. That would mean that JJ or Brezac is not on the protected list.

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 02:03 PM
If AJ opts out that would help the pacers , just like blount is doing for the Celtics

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Some names are beginning to surface out of the Pacer's office. I'm hearing the PacerMan and Will Galen were left unprotected. WIll I can see as being to old to be of any value...not sure about Pacerman.

Will is retired! I have it on good authority that he sits on the beach a lot and watch's the girls in the skimpy bikini's . . . to wise to be of any value though.

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 02:10 PM

No. They can take 29 players if they want but the only ones that will count against the cap will be the ones that make the season opening roster. Of course they would still have to pay all 29.

So they pay all 29, but only the ones that make the roster count against the cap? So they would pay reg, but he wouldn't count against the cap.

beast23
06-11-2004, 02:36 PM

AJ is a restricted free agent. If Charlotte takes him he becomes a free agent and can sign with any team, the only exception being the Pacer's. He couldn't play for the Pacer's for a year unless he was passed on waivers by the other 29 teams.

Being a restricted free agent AJ can opt out of his contract and then resign with anyone including the Pacer's. Hence, if the Pacer's are afraid of losing him they can just tell him to opt out and they will resign him. Give him a bit more money or another year on his contract to do so. That way the Pacers could protect someone else.

If AJ opts out in the next few days we know that's what the Pacer's are probably doing. If he doesn't opt out then the Pacer's either don't care if he is taken or they think Charlotte will take someone else. That would mean that JJ or Brezac is not on the protected list.

NO! AJ would not become a restricted free agent. He has a contract with the Pacers that has a "player option" included.

If he opts out, he becomes a free agent, free and clear to negotiate with any team in the league. The Pacers would have no exclusive rights in matching whatever offers AJ would receive from another team to automatically retain him.

Therefore, if AJ opts out and becomes a free agent, he CANNOT be selected by the Bobcats in the upcoming dispersal draft. However the Bobcats can, if they choose, negotiate with AJ like any one of the other 29 teams.

If AJ really wants to stay with the Pacers, a casual conversation with Donnie or Larry would reveal that this is the best option to help the Pacers. He could opt out and be re-signed for no less than the minimum, but would probably be signed to the smaller exception, which I believe is like $1.5 - $1.6M. I think that constitutes a decent boost in his salary. A win-win for both parties.

SkipperZ
06-11-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry but exactly what the helll do you guys see in Primoz Brezec?

Just wondering cuz I havent seen anything myself.

Cactus Jax
06-11-2004, 05:29 PM
What about Austin Croshere? He's got a fairly good contract, can shoot the ball from long range, hustles all the time, plus look at what he did against the Lakers in 2000, and in game 4 vs Detroit...oh wait... :D :unimpressed:

Alabama-Redneck
06-11-2004, 05:39 PM

To say that Will has no value is not true. Will makes a very good "bad example" :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :D :cool:

Tom White
06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
No. They can take 29 players if they want...

Actually they can take no more, or fewer than 14 players.

Kegboy
06-12-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm sorry but exactly what the helll do you guys see in Primoz Brezec?

Just wondering cuz I havent seen anything myself.

Unless you went to preseason or practices how have you seen him play?
I saw a young big body outplaying Foster (IMO), with a nice touch, who MAY have the scoring ability to take some heat off Jermaine in the future.

Agreed. Primoz really opened the eyes of people who saw him in the preseason. If it wasn't for a very expensive dead weight on our roster (read: Scot Pollard), we would have seen him a fair amount during the season.

When PB's name came up as the focus of trade rumors in Dallas, I knew that he's seen as a commodity in the league. People can talk about AJ all they want, but I'm convinced that if given the opportunity, Charlotte's stealing our Peanut Butter. :cry:

SycamoreKen
06-12-2004, 12:34 AM
No. They can take 29 players if they want...

Actually they can take no more, or fewer than 14 players.

They have to take at least 14, but there is no minimum up to 29. Here are the rules:

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/draft_central_expansion_rules_summary.html