PDA

View Full Version : History of the site

rock747
05-21-2008, 02:09 AM
Whats the history of this site in relation to the indystar board? I have not been a big message board person until the last few years, but have heard posters mention the Star board here and pacersdigest there. People here talk about the Star days... was there a big split or what?

Hicks
05-21-2008, 09:40 AM
The split occurred in August of 2003, yes. A lot of the "main" users from the Star in those days migrated to here.

Vince Neil
05-21-2008, 12:19 PM
The split occurred in August of 2003, yes. A lot of the "main" users from the Star in those days migrated to here.

Why was there a "split"?

SycamoreKen
05-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Pretty much came down to a lack of supervision and monitoring at STAR, if memory serves correct. Plus, they killed the Random Thoughts thread.

Twes
05-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I think most people came over here for the topless waitress night and it just expanded from there.

:cool:

DisplacedKnick
05-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Pretty much came down to a lack of supervision and monitoring at STAR, if memory serves correct. Plus, they killed the Random Thoughts thread.

Yup - 20,000 posts or so, thousands of pearls of wisdom, and recountings of special moments like PFFL and his dog . . .

Doug
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
recountings of special moments like PFFL and his dog . . .

Thanks. Years of therapy had finally erased that from my mind.

DisplacedKnick
05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks. Years of therapy had finally erased that from my mind.

I wake up nights screaming like the kid in The Shining

Except instead of redrum, I'm shouting, blacklab blacklab blacklab

Scary

Twes
05-21-2008, 02:33 PM
SHouldn't that be

balkcalb! balkcalb!

DisplacedKnick
05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
SHouldn't that be

balkcalb! balkcalb!

Nah - I'm not one of those reflective dreamers.

Twes
05-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I always thought you were a forward thinking psychotic dyslexic

DisplacedKnick
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I always thought you were a forward thinking psychotic dyslexic

scler thengu sfertsad methup?

Twes
05-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Who just had a stroke.

:eek:

RWB
05-22-2008, 12:26 PM

I remember Spicoli and I didn't have a home for a while until Hicks came to the rescue. I started posting on the Star site around 97/98 and for that loyalty got booted/banned for good after Spicoli and I had enough with a Celtic troll on the board. Apparently we hurt their feelings and yet did not post a single profanity in our posts.

Ah the good ole days when Spic and I made one hell of a tag team against the invaders. :buddies:

Twes
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I must have been drinking too much.

I don't remember playing the Celtics.

:D

Shade
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
The rift began when some members started getting banned without explanation (like yours truly). The removal of the Random Thoughts thread (again, without explanation) was the final straw for many others.

JayRedd
05-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Spic and I made one hell of a tag team

That's what she said.

Big Smooth
05-24-2008, 12:06 AM
The rift began when some members started getting banned without explanation (like yours truly). The removal of the Random Thoughts thread (again, without explanation) was the final straw for many others.

You got banned because you were a really, really bad person. :p

The Star board used to be great for the Pacers then most of the good posters moved here. I have no use for the Star board now. It's dead to me. :(

Hicks
05-24-2008, 12:18 AM
That's what she said.

We have a thread for this.....

indygeezer
05-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Threads disappeared, as did posters,. there were rumors of certain posters being hidden mods who were reporting to the Gestapo, Rules seemed to change daily and about that time Hicks said "I can do it myself, Harumph!"

And so he did. But this was no place for the faint of heart at first. All heck broke loose with absolutely no control. Anything and everything was being said with NO mod control. I went back to the Star (so did a few others) because of the lunatics running the asylum here. Then Hicks stepped in and set some boundries and the site was placed under control and has been since.

If you haven't looked at the new Star board you should. They are under something called Pluck...and it has really killed the board. Fewer and fewer posts all the time. There are still those who stay thru sheer loyalty and I for one respect them for that loyalty...but the new Pluck really does stink. If it was the wish of the IS to slow down posting they certainly attained their goal.

Twes
05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Threads disappeared, as did posters,. there were rumors of certain posters being hidden mods who were reporting to the Gestapo, Rules seemed to change daily and about that time Hicks said "I can do it myself, Harumph!"

And so he did. But this was no place for the faint of heart at first. All heck broke loose with absolutely no control. Anything and everything was being said with NO mod control. I went back to the Star (so did a few others) because of the lunatics running the asylum here. Then Hicks stepped in and set some boundries and the site was placed under control and has been since.

If you haven't looked at the new Star board you should. They are under something called Pluck...and it has really killed the board. Fewer and fewer posts all the time. There are still those who stay thru sheer loyalty and I for one respect them for that loyalty...but the new Pluck really does stink. If it was the wish of the IS to slow down posting they certainly attained their goal.

You didn't enjoy the early drunken Doge City days of this board Geezer?

:devil: It did get a little crazy if I remember right.