PDA

View Full Version : Nets might lose Kittles in expansion draft

Unclebuck
06-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Deadline is today to turn the list in, but when do we find out who the Pacers left unprotected. Do teams have to tell that they left them unprotected

p://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/17381.htm

June 11, 2004 -- AUBURN HILLS The Nets yesterday submitted their list of protected players for the upcoming expansion draft. Those exposed were believed to be Kerry Kittles, Alonzo Mourning, Tamar Slay and either Lucious Harris or Rodney Rogers.
And while Kittles is the most attractive name, Slay may hold the most appeal to the expansionist Charlotte Bobcats.

"They can always draft a high-priced guy and then work a deal," explained Nets CEO Rod Thorn, who declined to identify which players the Nets left open. "There will be a lot of high priced guys available, some of them attractive to a team under the cap."

The Bobcats have made it known that they will broker deals throughout the league, but for their own purposes they are looking at young, inexpensive, energy players. Slay certainly fits that mold.

Some of the Nets' protected players were obvious to figure: Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins, Aaron Williams, Zoran Planinic and Brian Scalabrine were locks.

Should the Nets lose Kittles in the draft, which is set for June 22-23 if the Finals go seven games, the team would be forced into a trade or free agency mode. The gamble with Kittles is because of his $10 million salary. That likely will scare off Charlotte. But even if the Nets lose Kittles, it would be $10 million off their payroll.

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 09:24 AM
For 10 million dollars , I would leave him exposed too

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Not sure when the deadline was to turn the list in, but when do we find out who the Pacers left unprotected. Do teams have to tell that they left them unprotected

The lists are not made public. The only way we find out anything is if they leak. The same as with contracts and how much players are paid.

As for Kettles, Charlotte won't take him for themselves that's for sure. If they can get a trading partner that's different. Still, Kittles has a ten million dollar contract so Charlotte would still have to absorb the ten million somehow even in trade. That means the other team would have to trade back three or four small contracts. The question is who is going to give Charlotte 3 or 4 players for Kittles?

Unclebuck
06-11-2004, 09:38 AM
I was trying to ask if the teams have to tell the players they are left unprotected. Do the Pacers for example have to tell Reggie that yes he is unprotected?

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 09:58 AM
I was trying to ask if the teams have to tell the players they are left unprotected. Do the Pacers for example have to tell Reggie that yes he is unprotected?

I don't think so. If I remember right from the last draft some players are shocked when they are left unprotected and selected. I read in the New York Times today where Isiah was calling his unprotected players and telling them. I don't remember if he was doing it as a courtesy or not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/11/sports/basketball/11draft.html
Isiah Thomas picked up the phone yesterday and called five Knicks. He needed all his charm and charisma to convince them that they were still important players despite what he was about to tell them.

Thomas told the players - whom a Knicks official said included Allan Houston, Shandon Anderson and Penny Hardaway - they were being left unprotected in the expansion draft later this month.

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Has anyone yet released or leaked out what the Pacers situation is?

Unclebuck
06-11-2004, 10:11 AM
If I were Dw or LB, I would tell the players prior to leaving them unprotected. seems like the best way to approach it to me

Suaveness
06-11-2004, 10:12 AM
If I were Dw or LB, I would tell the players prior to leaving them unprotected. seems like the best way to approach it to me

It tells the players you still have respect for them.

Zesty
06-11-2004, 11:01 AM
As for Kettles, Charlotte won't take him for themselves that's for sure. If they can get a trading partner that's different. Still, Kittles has a ten million dollar contract so Charlotte would still have to absorb the ten million somehow even in trade.

I was under the impression that in a scenario like this, Charlotte could take back players at 75% of contract value, so if they took Kittles and traded him, they could take back $7.5 million in salary. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 12:18 PM
As for Kettles, Charlotte won't take him for themselves that's for sure. If they can get a trading partner that's different. Still, Kittles has a ten million dollar contract so Charlotte would still have to absorb the ten million somehow even in trade.

I was under the impression that in a scenario like this, Charlotte could take back players at 75% of contract value, so if they took Kittles and traded him, they could take back $7.5 million in salary. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've read a whole heaping bunch on the expansion draft and I've never heard or read that before.

I went to the Bobcats Official web site and that's not among the rules.
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/draft_central_expansion_rules_summary.html

SUMMARY OF EXPANSION DRAFT RULES

A. Player Selection

The Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft will take place on June 22 (if the NBA Finals extend to seven games, it will be June 23), prior to the 2004 NBA Draft on June 24.

The Bobcats will select a minimum of 14 players who are under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.

The Bobcats may select no more than one player from each team.

The Bobcats can only select players that are left unprotected by an NBA team.

Each of the 29 NBA teams may protect a maximum of eight players on its roster who are under contract or are restricted free agents at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season.

Each of the 29 NBA teams will designate the players on its roster who are eligible for selection by the Bobcats.

Each of the 29 NBA teams must designate at least one player on its roster to be eligible for selection by the Bobcats, even if the team does not have eight players under contract or as restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.

Any player under contract selected by the Bobcats will immediately be placed on the Bobcats roster.

Any eligible restricted free agent selected by the Bobcats shall immediately become an unrestricted free agent.

Unrestricted free agents are not eligible to be protected nor are they eligible to be selected by the Bobcats.
B. Pre-Expansion Draft Trades
Teams will be permitted to enter into pre-Expansion Draft trades in which Charlotte agrees to select or not select certain unprotected players.
C. Salary Cap
Charlotte will be permitted to select players in the Expansion Draft without regard to the Salary Cap.

Charlotte will have a Salary Cap in its first season equal to 66% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league and a Salary Cap in its second season equal to 75% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league.

Charlotte will be permitted to sign any restricted free agent it selects in the Expansion Draft using the same “Bird,” “Early Bird” or “Non-Bird” Exception that the player’s prior team would have had.

Compensation paid to a selected player under a contract protected for lack of skill will be excluded from Charlotte’s Team Salary if the player’s contract is terminated (via the waiver procedure) prior to the start of the 2004-05 season.

A team with a Team Salary above the Salary Cap will receive a Trade Exception to replace a player (other than a restricted free agent) selected from its unprotected list.
D. Post-Expansion Draft Transactions
A team will not be permitted to reacquire a player that it loses in the Expansion Draft prior to the expiration of one year from the date of the Expansion Draft, unless the player is waived and not claimed by any other team.

blanket
06-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Utah is a team that would do well to work out a draft and trade deal or two with the Bobcats, since they are well under the cap, have only a few players signed so far for next year, and are not likely to attract many quality players via free agency.

ChicagoJ
06-11-2004, 12:30 PM

Flip that around... the team acquiring Kittles would take on $10 in salary, while giving up $7.5. A team can only increase its payroll via a trade like that (outisde of the 15% + 100k exception) if it is under the cap.

And if a team is under the cap, why wouldn't they just trade directly with New Jersey?

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 01:34 PM
I know the NBA isn't give out the list but they seem to be leaking them all over the net like wild fire , havent seen a pacers one yet though. I would think Donnie or Larry would call the guys that will be left unprotected and if I remember right don't the list have to be in by Friday or Saturday ? ( yes I realize today is friday)

Jose Slaughter
06-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Utah is a team that would do well to work out a draft and trade deal or two with the Bobcats, since they are well under the cap, have only a few players signed so far for next year, and are not likely to attract many quality players via free agency.

They have 3 first round picks too (14, 16 & 21). They could offer a pick for Kittles I guess.

Only problem with that is they are pretty set in the backcourt.