PDA

View Full Version : World Champions

Willbo
06-11-2004, 03:30 AM
Ok, I know i'm gonna cop some for this but hey... thats half the fun right?

As an aside from all the pacers offseason banter I was just wondering if the continual reference to the winner of the NBA finals as the world champion irked anyother interntaional posters as it does me...

Ok so its a small qualm and while I respect that this is a U.S. league and you can call the champion what you will I just find it a bit presumptuous to refer to them as the world champion. especially when the U.S. didnt even win the last world champs

That said, I recognise that the winning team would almost undoubtedly defeat anyother team in the world and most probablly any other national team (actually I'd have to think about that) but that fact is unproven.

SOrry to gripe, at heart I am a bball fan and that is why I have followed the NBA for the last 10+ years (being the best league in the world) however it is just that this point has been on my goat for awhile now.

Maybe you guys could enlighten me....?

skyfire
06-11-2004, 04:05 AM
As an international fan, i'm not particularly phased by them calling them the world champions. The united states as a country talks itself up so much, i'd almost be suprised if they didn't call them the world champs.

I know they used to (they still might just havn't heard anything about it for a while) have the McDonalds Championships where all the winning teams from the national competitions played each other and the NBA champs always won it all.

geetee
06-11-2004, 04:47 AM
I agree that the winners are not necessarily the "World Champions", and if I was from outside the US, I would would probably share your sentiment.

However, you have to forgive the US. Not so long ago you could accurately call the winners of US baseball or basketball the world champions, because it was the only organized gig like it in the world that attracted the best players from all over the world (kind of like American football now). Furthermore, no one doubted that they could of played anywhere outside the US and still win easily.

The "World Champion" title has continued to hang on because of that beginning.

Essentially, these games were originated in the US... and so we exercise our right to name our winners, "World Champions". We would not do this with racing, soccer, hockey or table tennis.

However, now that there is formidable competition in many of our sports, maybe the title should be reserved for a different occasion. :champions:

able
06-11-2004, 05:47 AM
History of Basketball (http://probasketball.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nba.com%2Fhistor y%2Fthegame_index.html)

Revisionist seems to become a favorite passtime in the US

:D

ABADays
06-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Sass I just paid attention to your sig. If it was the best day of your life how come you don't remember if you were 15 or 16? :D

Harddrive7
06-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Sass I just paid attention to your sig. If it was the best day of your life how come you don't remember if you were 15 or 16? :D

:laugh: Yeah :rotflmao:

BillS
06-11-2004, 08:31 AM
History of Basketball (http://probasketball.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nba.com%2Fhistor y%2Fthegame_index.html)

Revisionist seems to become a favorite passtime in the US

So call it North America instead of US and it's still covered. It'd be great to have an international competition like the World Cup, but since FIBA rules are different from NBA rules it still wouldn't be a "unified" championship.

The NBA championship is, in fact, the "World" championship of NBA-rules basketball. How can anyone dispute that?

Many believe that baseball's World Series is called that because the original sponsor was the New York World newspaper. Not True (http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp)

able
06-11-2004, 08:55 AM
One day, (and that day may never come <chuckle>) someone will explain to me, how one can be "world" champion of the "national" basketball association.

as a hint: world != nation

BillS
06-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Doesn't say which nation, does it? There, I've run rings around you logically. :borg:

bulletproof
06-11-2004, 09:16 AM
It's kinda like Miss Universe. If I were a beautiful female creature from another planet, I might take exception to that, too. :D

BillS
06-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Seriously, the thought just struck me - even though the players aren't representing their countries directly, the argument could be made that the NBA represents the best players in the world - especially considering that more and more international players are coming to the game.

Therefore, it could be argued that the NBA champions do represent the world in a certain sense.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Seriously, the thought just struck me - even though the players aren't representing their countries directly, the argument could be made that the NBA represents the best players in the world - especially considering that more and more international players are coming to the game.

Therefore, it could be argued that the NBA champions do represent the world in a certain sense.

That is what I believe...

bulletproof
06-11-2004, 09:36 AM

And the universe! :D :unimpressed:

Hicks
06-11-2004, 12:19 PM
If the world wants to arrange it so there's a tourney including other countries' best bball teams against whoever wins the NBA title, bring'em on. We'll win.

In fact, for years I've thought that the USA might have more continued success at the Olympics if we just send the latest NBA Champion to represent, because that guarantees chemistry among the players and the staff, they know their plays inside and out, they work well together, and should have all the tools necissary to win any game.

Think if the Pistons win this year. I guarantee with their defense the world wouldn't know what hit'em.

BillS
06-11-2004, 12:44 PM
In fact, for years I've thought that the USA might have more continued success at the Olympics if we just send the latest NBA Champion to represent, because that guarantees chemistry among the players and the staff, they know their plays inside and out, they work well together, and should have all the tools necissary to win any game.

FIBA rules differences from team rules would invalidate some of the gains.

NBA champion with major international players would be extremely handicapped.

Not a bad idea but too many holes in it.

Ultimate Frisbee
06-11-2004, 01:34 PM
THIS POST is ridiculus. The NBA has the best players in the WORLD and thats a fact. If the NBA tried and had their best players sent they would win every game by minimum 70+ points.

don't be ignorant. Though we may have more talent/experience, I think that the rest of the world's teams could be coached to play us very toughly... just think about the 1980 USA hockey team!

SkipperZ
06-11-2004, 05:07 PM
I dont see what the problem is since the best players in the world play in the NBA anyways.

If I were an international basketball fan, what I might be upset about is the NBA taking all the good players out of whatever international league I followed.