PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown

Twes
05-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I saw Jordon interviewed before the Kentucky Derby and when asked who the favorite was he said, "Well Larry Brown suggested Big Brown but I don't know if that was just because of the name."

I only watch the 3 races a year. I don't bet but do think it would be interesting to see a triple crown winner.

SycamoreKen
05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Lance Berkman has a shot at it, but it will be tough. It's been 31 years since someone has won the triple crown.

Twes
05-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Lance Berkman has a shot at it, but it will be tough. It's been 31 years since someone has won the triple crown.

That horse has looked strong for the first two races.

I remember the Belmont being a very different track though isn't it.

DisplacedKnick
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Mile-and-a-half is the tough thing.

Even tougher is 3 races in 5 weeks. Horse don't do that any more than boxers do. But Big Brown has been pulling away with gas in the tank in each of the first two plus the Belmont typically has far fewer entries. Unless he absolutely hates the track (and maybe even then) this should be his.

Then we can start debating if he's a great horse, or a good horse with weak competition.

Twes
05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
How do his times compare with the greats?

Man o war, secretariet, Mr Ed.

I guess I could look that up.

Twes
05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
http://www.wmur.com/horseracing/16328504/detail.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05122008/sports/frankel__brown_simply_the_best_110437.htm

I imagine horse racing is so prone to conditions and the field that comparing "times" is deceiving.

DisplacedKnick
05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Secretariat is, hands-down the best race horse we've seen, at least for 80 years.

That horse was a freak.

For the record, Big Brown won the derby in 2:01.8

Secretariat won it in 1:59.4

Preakness doesn't count because Big Brown breezed the final eighth. Of course in the Belmont Secretariat breezed the final half mile, still won by 31 lengths and still set the race record (fastest half mile ever run anywhere) - by some unbelieveable amount like 4 seconds.

Freak horse - too bad he never amounted to much as a stud.

Twes
05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Secretariat is, hands-down the best race horse we've seen, at least for 80 years.

That horse was a freak.

Preakness doesn't count because Big Brown breezed the final eighth. Of course in the Belmont Secretariat breezed the final half mile, still won by 31 lengths and still set the race record (fastest half mile ever run anywhere) - by some unbelieveable amount like 4 seconds.

I'm trying to rank the times in excel but the format is broken

Twes
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM

That horse was a freak.

It looks like Secretariat 1973 1:59.4, Spend a buck 1985 1:59.4 and Monarchos 2001 1:59.6 are the only 3 horses to run the Derby under 2 minutes.

Twes
05-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I wonder how the steroids in the Secretariat era compare to the steroids of today.

Twes
05-20-2008, 10:57 AM
One of these days the horse is going to look into the camera after a hard fought race and say... " I just hate it for the boys back at the stable who put those pioneer seeds in me all year. That new horse Spicoli got loose in turn 3 and from there all we could see was S#%&."

Twes
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.horsehats.com/ManOWar.html

Another great horse