PDA

View Full Version : From Chicago Trib

indygeezer
06-11-2004, 01:21 AM
Chicago and Indiana still talking...
(Chicagosports.com...but ya gotta register)
High-profile drill slated for Berto

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

June 10, 2004, 11:11 PM CDT

The NBA predraft camp ends Friday at Moody Bible Institute, but the Bulls' real work will take place next Tuesday. That's when a high-profile draft workout will take place at the Berto Center. The workout is getting more high profile by the day.

Minnesota forward Kris Humphries has been added to a list that includes Nevada swingman Kirk Snyder, Stanford forward Josh Childress, Wisconsin guard Devin Harris and Connecticut guard Ben Gordon.

It's also possible Arizona guard Andre Iguodala and Duke forward Luol Deng could attend, and it's likely the session will be divided into one for guards and one for forwards.

The Bulls are intrigued by Deng, but would prefer to see him work out against other top prospects. That hasn't been arranged yet. Deng, Iguodala and Childress are the names most mentioned as potential choices if the Bulls keep their third pick in the June 24 NBA draft.

Talk at the predraft camp persists that the Bulls and Pacers are entertaining trade possibilities for Al Harrington, whose salary closely resembles Scottie Pippen's. The Bulls don't appear willing to include their No. 3 pick in the talks for now.

Last year John Paxson was an extremely popular general manager because he held the No. 7 pick and two decent point guards in Jay Williams and Jamal Crawford. This year, plenty of teams near the top of the draft are willing to trade down, which could limit Paxson's options.

Familiar face

Former Bulls general manager Jerry Krause visited Moody on Thursday to "see some old friends." Krause just returned from Tampa, where he participated in the New York Yankees' amateur draft. In an odd coincidence, the Yankees' first pick in the first round was No. 23. Apparently Krause never will be able to distance himself from Michael Jordan.

Layups

In between morning and evening sessions at the predraft camp, the Bulls staged a workout for two highly-touted international prospects. Latvian forward Andris Biedrins and Russian forward Viktor Khryapa don't make much sense for the Bulls—Biedrins is only 18—but such is the nature of today's draft. Biedrins has a decent post game. …

Eddy Curry has been coming to Moody Bible to work with Bulls coaches in between predraft camp sessions. … Eddie Robinson has begun off-season workouts at the Berto Center. …

Slovenian point guard Beno Udrih, Iowa State center Jackson Vroman, Washington guard Nate Robinson and DePaul forward Andre Brown have had strong camps thus far. …

The Bulls turned in their protected list for the expansion pool to stock Charlotte. As expected, Curry, Crawford, Tyson Chandler, Kirk Hinrich, Linton Johnson, Jannero Pargo, Chris Jefferies and Paul Shirley were protected..

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 03:29 AM
The Bulls turned in their protected list for the expansion pool to stock Charlotte. As expected, Curry, Crawford, Tyson Chandler, Kirk Hinrich, Linton Johnson, Jannero Pargo, Chris Jefferies and Paul Shirley were protected.

Let's see. Take out the free agents and that leaves unprotected . . .

Antonio Davis ----- $12,000,000
Eddie Robinson ---- $ 6,767,540
Jerome Williams --- $ 5,600,000
Scottie Pippen ----- $ 5,408,700 I was right on him being unprotected!
Marcus Fizer ------- $4,915,905

Leaving Pippen unprotected is interesting from the Pacer's point of view. It shows the Bulls are not interested in doing a Pippen and #3 for Al.

Of course we could make a dear with Charlotte for Pippen, but why would we want to?

I'm not shocked at Frizer being unprotected either. the Chicago Sun Times said this a few weeks ago.

"Bulls forward Marcus Fizer, who will become an unrestricted free agent July1, underwent surgery Tuesday in Birmingham, Ala., to repair ligament damage in his right knee. Fizer suffered the injury in the Bulls' season finale at Indiana. ''I intend to be healthy in time to be in somebody's camp in October,'' Fizer said Wednesday. The injury dashes the Bulls' hopes of including Fizer in a sign-and-trade. He likely will be left unprotected for the expansion draft."

Frizer is a scorer and he's young. If Charlotte takes anyone from the Bulls to keep for themselves it will be him. I think they might do so too!

Why? He's unrestricted, that means if they take him he's becomes a free agent and can sign with any team but the Bulls. That means Charlotte could invite him to camp and pass on him if they don't like him.

The kicker though is they could sign him and go over the cap. Say their cap is the projected $30 million. Then they could sign 14 guys for $29,999,999. Then they could sign him too! Money aside that make Frizer a free player.

I think they will pick him!

(edit) Unless someone else leaves a better restricted free agent unprotected.

Will Galen
06-11-2004, 04:01 AM
I now have a question, since the Bulls have turned in their protected list, what happens if Frizer now opts out of his contract? Would the Bull's have to name someone in his place?

I don't see that happening though. It would be a dumb move on Frizer's part. Frizer will get paid if Charlotte selects him. If he would opt out and then no one want him he wouldn't.

indygeezer
06-11-2004, 06:52 AM
It doesn't matter what he decides. Chicago's only interest is in protecting 8 not making sure they leave 7 unprotected.

I guess I need to pay more attention to Chicago...who are some of these people?? Paul Shirley???? Duh.

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Too bad Kerry Kittles Makes so Much , NJ is not going to protect him.