PDA

View Full Version : Can you say "Band Wagon" fan

Roaming Gnome
05-18-2008, 07:01 PM
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af9/Roaming_Gnome74/mark_asen.jpg

Mal and I were watching game 7 between the Celts and Cavs and to our horror seen this guy with his signs. I know that he does his sign schtick in Miami because of his restaurant on South Beach, but in Boston.....Come on.

Shade
05-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Disgusting.

rexnom
05-18-2008, 07:08 PM
These Boston fans are bandwagon fans in general. I don't see how Mike Bibby wasn't 100% right. They abandon the Celtics for the Pats and Sox when the going gets tough and then they cheer for a bunch of rent-a-players...I'm upset with this team.

S.R.E.C.A.P
05-18-2008, 07:20 PM
lmao at bandwagon fans :D

which team has the largest bandwagon fans in the nba ?

To me i think Celts and hornets

Sollozzo
05-18-2008, 07:26 PM
That is pretty irritating.

Sollozzo
05-18-2008, 07:28 PM
These Boston fans are bandwagon fans in general. I don't see how Mike Bibby wasn't 100% right. They abandon the Celtics for the Pats and Sox when the going gets tough and then they cheer for a bunch of rent-a-players...I'm upset with this team.

Agreed.

I know people harp on Indy being bandwagon, but Boston is just as bad, if not worse. I've made this point before, but the Pacers have actually *beat* Boston in average attendance a couple of times in recent memory, despite the fact that Boston has a larger arena and millions of more people in the area.

Boston should NEVER be beat by the Pacers in attendance since it has a larger arena, millions of more people, and a "classic" team with 16 championships.

They are bandwagon fans. They were dead throughout the mid late 90's and into this decade.

JayRedd
05-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Aside from New York, Detroit and maybe Chicago, all NBA fans are bandwagon fans.

Lord Helmet
05-18-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/attachment.php?attachmentid=290&stc=1&d=1211151254

Mal and I were watching game 7 between the Celts and Cavs and to our horror seen this guy with his signs. I know that he does his sign schtick in Miami because of his restaurant on South Beach, but in Boston.....Come on.
Yeah I saw that, I was going to make a thread about this, good thing you got a screen cap of it.

What a joke.

**** that guy. My Dad never liked him.......:laugh:

Swingman
05-18-2008, 07:39 PM
am I missing something? what's wrong with the sign other than it doesn't really say much of anything.

Putnam
05-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Aside from New York, Detroit and maybe Chicago, all NBA fans are bandwagon fans.

Even in New York and Chicago, don't you think that people have to wait years for a chance to buy season tickets or even game tickets, so they are apt to attend just because they finally got a chance to?

Roaming Gnome
05-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah I saw that, I was going to make a thread about this, good thing you got a screen cap of it.

What a joke.

**** that guy. My Dad never liked him.......:laugh:

Sounds like your the first to reallize that he is the "Pacers" sign guy and not just a typical band wagon fan.

Sollozzo
05-18-2008, 07:41 PM

I don't think they're as loyal as you think.

I would bet anything I had that demand for Knicks tickets has spiraled down by the tens and tens of thousands since the late 90's. But since the New York area has like 20 million people in it, they are always able to find 19,700 to fill an arena. Think about it: They have an arena that seats a thousand more than the Pacers, but they have 20 more million people to pull from than Indy does. If we had that population, we could fill that out too.

By percentage, that's about the equivalent of the Pacers having an arena that sat 1200 people. Think we would sell that out every game? I thinks so.

Same with Chicago.

And it wasn't that long ago that the Pistons were having trouble with attendance. In 2000-2001, they had a total of 607,323 fans, or a whopping 14,812 fans per game for 41 games. That's a putrid 67% capacity. The Pacers averaged 17,888 fans that year, despite dismantling a finals team. That's 3,000 more than Detroit that year, despite playing in a significantly smaller arena and market.

That's the year after Hill left, and the team was really bad. Coincidentally, the fans didn't come out to see the team play. Looks like they are just as fickle as Indiana or anywhere else.

http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/DetroitPistons/index.htm

Now of course they've been really good for 6 years and the fans have sold the place out consistently. People think that they have awesome fans, just like people thought we had awesome fans when our fans were so crazy for a 6 year span. But our fanbase dropped when the going got tough for us, and history shows that the Pistons will do the same.

Bottom line: Detroit didn't support that team when it was bad that year, and was having trouble the 2 years before that even when they were a playoff team.

So to correct your post, *all* NBA fanbases are bandwagon.

owl
05-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Way to go Adam. That's what I was thinking while I read about NY,Chicago, etc...

Kstat
05-18-2008, 07:48 PM
our attendance had less to to with record and more to do with the fact our franchise decided to become flaming teal and employ a bunch of anti-Piton softies.

Sollozzo
05-18-2008, 07:51 PM
our attendance had less to to with record and more to do with the fact our franchise decided to become flaming teal and employ a bunch of anti-Piton softies.

But still Kstat, it shows that your fans our just like ours or anyone elses. You weren't happy with the direction of the team, so you didn't go to the games. That's exactly what is happening here right now.

I'm not trying to pick on your team or city, but am just trying to show that you're like any other NBA fanbase.

I mean, we won 61 games in 03-04 but still couldn't sell the place out routinely because the fans clearly didn't like the players.

Slick Pinkham
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't like the Celtics even a little bit, but if anyone wants to pull up their attendence figures, even in crappy years like last year, I think that you would find that they have always had decent support. And that is with $35 parking and ticket prices near the top in the league.

Every team has their share of bandwagon fans, I guess.

I wish the Pacers had some more fans of any variety.

:shrug:

JayRedd
05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
I hear ya, Adam. And I may be mistaken with Detroit and Chicago even then.

But my experience in New York -- and this translates to the Yanks, Mets, Giants and Jets as well -- is that people rarely stop paying attention to the team for years at a time as I believe fans in other cities do. They continue to follow them and are just miserable about it.

There is of course some bandwagonness, regardless. But Knicks fans stay Knicks fans even through crap like Isiah. They may not buy jerseys and they certainly bad mouth them constantly, but they don't abandon the team or the sport like (I believe) you are seeing in Indy and you saw under Pitino in Boston. The Knick folk remain pretty involved and engaged in the day-to-day stuff going on with their team.

Honestly, it probably has as much -- if not more -- to do with media coverage as opposed to any true loyalty. There are four daily newspapers reporting every conceivable aspect of every team, plus individual networks dedicated to specific teams. Basically, you can't just bury your head in the sand even if you want to because you are simply inundated with coverage regardless of if they're winning titles or losing 80% of their games. You're forced to still follow your team and be miserable about it in the latter case. You might hate Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry with every fiber in your body, but you still know that Zach had a lot of double doubles last year and you know all about the on-going Stephon Marbury circus.

Boston is the same way with the Red Sox. And from what I hear (though have no experience with) similar things go on with other cities in other sports, such as the Skins in DC, Cubbies in Chicago and the Eagles in Philly.

But for some reason that mentality doesn't carry over to the Celtics in Boston despite the team's tradition. Why? I have no idea. Possibly because the city is fairly racist. And I wish I was kidding.

Big Smooth
05-18-2008, 08:26 PM
am I missing something? what's wrong with the sign other than it doesn't really say much of anything.

It's the guy holding the sign, not the sign itself. He's the same guy that used to come to a ton of Pacers home games with a hard hat Pacer helmet and all kinds of signs....the "sign guy" or whatever he is called.

Kegboy
05-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't get it. I thought once we got rid of Isiah this guy was a PFFL.

Darn, I sure do miss him.

:sarcasm:

Now, if only Larry and Scuzzy Cotton Candy Guy would follow his lead, maybe I'd go to games again.

Putnam
05-18-2008, 09:21 PM
The biggest sports venue in the world is in Indianapolis. It sells out every year, and it sells out long before anybody knows who is going to show up to play.

Fans of the Indy 500 may constitute the largest group of intensely loyal fans of any annual spectator sport in the world.

The Pacers don't get that sort of love, of course, for their 41 game home season.
But I think the 500 shows that people around here are pretty serious about supporting what they like.

Pacersfan46
05-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I saw that during the game, I was like WTF?

As soon as I saw him I knew he was the tard that used to come to all of our games with signs. Wow, just wow.

-- Steve --

Hicks
05-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Screw that guy.

Sollozzo
05-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know any info about the guy?

Sollozzo
05-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I hear ya, Adam. And I may be mistaken with Detroit and Chicago even then.

But my experience in New York -- and this translates to the Yanks, Mets, Giants and Jets as well -- is that people rarely stop paying attention to the team for years at a time as I believe fans in other cities do. They continue to follow them and are just miserable about it.

There is of course some bandwagonness, regardless. But Knicks fans stay Knicks fans even through crap like Isiah. They may not buy jerseys and they certainly bad mouth them constantly, but they don't abandon the team or the sport like (I believe) you are seeing in Indy and you saw under Pitino in Boston. The Knick folk remain pretty involved and engaged in the day-to-day stuff going on with their team.

Honestly, it probably has as much -- if not more -- to do with media coverage as opposed to any true loyalty. There are four daily newspapers reporting every conceivable aspect of every team, plus individual networks dedicated to specific teams. Basically, you can't just bury your head in the sand even if you want to because you are simply inundated with coverage regardless of if they're winning titles or losing 80% of their games. You're forced to still follow your team and be miserable about it in the latter case. You might hate Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry with every fiber in your body, but you still know that Zach had a lot of double doubles last year and you know all about the on-going Stephon Marbury circus.

Boston is the same way with the Red Sox. And from what I hear (though have no experience with) similar things go on with other cities in other sports, such as the Skins in DC, Cubbies in Chicago and the Eagles in Philly.

But for some reason that mentality doesn't carry over to the Celtics in Boston despite the team's tradition. Why? I have no idea. Possibly because the city is fairly racist. And I wish I was kidding.

That probably has something to do with it. The fact that those teams in New York have entire channels and several newspapers devoted to them means that they are constantly in people's faces. And like I said, it doesn't hurt that they have tens of millions in the area to support the teams.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the teams you listed above are teams that play in massive metropolitan areas.

PR07
05-19-2008, 12:29 AM
This guys such a fraud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sqv_sZXVbk

I respect his passion, but pick a team.

Peck
05-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Does anyone know any info about the guy?

That would be "the Flamingo man" from back in the 90's. I know his first name is Matt and that he owns/owned a chain of restraunts down in the Florida keys and was a close friend to Herb Simon.

This isn't the first time he has done this either btw. I have seen him at many differant sporting events doing the same thing. He is a media whore.

However in all fairness to the guy I will say this. From about 96 through 2004 I saw the guy at more home games than not and I am pretty confident that from 98 - 00 he was at every home game but a very few.

The guy actually would fly up from Florida to watch the team play. He always stuck with us until we would lose in the playoffs then he would follow differant teams then.

Not a popular guy by any means, but I think he is just an honest reflection of the fan base. His interest has waned drastically over the past three seasons to where I don't think he even attended any games this year.

Band wagon? Probably, but at the end of the day he did spend a lot and I mean a lot of money to follow the Pacers.

duke dynamite
05-19-2008, 02:03 AM
I don't get it. I thought this guy was known as "The Pacers Guy".

Awesome, now I can take that title. You never have to worry about me jumping ship.

CableKC
05-19-2008, 02:04 AM
It's unfortunate....but that's just the way things are....you know that sometime in the next decade, WHEN AND IF the Pacers turn things around....Bandwagoners will be crawling out of the woodwork.

Twes
05-19-2008, 08:29 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/attachment.php?attachmentid=290&stc=1&d=1211151254

I saw this yesterday as well... couldn't believe it.

I thought I remembered him splitting time between the Magic and Pacers years ago.

Have signs will travel I guess.

Unclebuck
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM

I saw him too and told the person I was watching the game, that guy is a trader and his signs are tired

Naptown_Seth
05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Matt, WTF are you doing?!?!

Very disappointing. And I saw him at one of the final Pacers games, maybe within the last 2 weeks of the season or so. It's not like he totally gave up on the team, at least relative to what most fans did when you also consider that he's normally in the West FLA area I think.

It would be different if Reggie had joined the team, or if he was there as a neutral person. I mean if you ever see me in the front row at a game like this it's due to my love of the game, not the teams. I wouldn't be rocking the green.

Now if he was Pacered up and had that sign in a "playoff action doesn't get better than this" mode it would be different.

Argh!

ps - I've sat next to him several times and he's pretty nice. He seems genuine at the games and it's not like he's carrying an advert for his restaurants which would be the true media whore thing to do.

Unclebuck
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I can't be too critical of the guy because my dream life would be to travel around the country going to every playoff game I could

avoidingtheclowns
05-19-2008, 12:36 PM
anyone ever consider that matt is just a scot pollard fanatic?

Trader Joe
05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I bet he's not allowed to bring the flamingos into the arenas anymore.

Oneal07
05-19-2008, 10:20 PM
/ Remembers the Flamingos lol

Sollozzo
05-20-2008, 12:28 AM
That would be "the Flamingo man" from back in the 90's. I know his first name is Matt and that he owns/owned a chain of restraunts down in the Florida keys and was a close friend to Herb Simon.

This isn't the first time he has done this either btw. I have seen him at many differant sporting events doing the same thing. He is a media whore.

However in all fairness to the guy I will say this. From about 96 through 2004 I saw the guy at more home games than not and I am pretty confident that from 98 - 00 he was at every home game but a very few.

The guy actually would fly up from Florida to watch the team play. He always stuck with us until we would lose in the playoffs then he would follow differant teams then.

Not a popular guy by any means, but I think he is just an honest reflection of the fan base. His interest has waned drastically over the past three seasons to where I don't think he even attended any games this year.

Band wagon? Probably, but at the end of the day he did spend a lot and I mean a lot of money to follow the Pacers.

So he has no personal connection to Indy?

granger33
05-20-2008, 02:06 AM
I could say the same about pacers.

if we have a turnaround like the celtics did this year..im sure Conseco would be sold out. going from the worst attendance in the league to the best.

People just show up when their team is winning..just like pacers.

Hicks
05-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Not everybody is like that.....

Peck
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM

Not to my knowledge.

Naptown_Seth
05-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Not to my knowledge.
Same here, though I never really got into it when speaking to him. I think the last time we mostly talked about one of his Ft. Myers restaurants since I get down there for spring training from time to time. Somewhere I have the card for the place but I didn't get to it the last time we were down there.

Actually I took some photos for the editor of Indy Men's magazine a few seasons ago while sitting next to them as they were doing an article on him at the time. Didn't use my shots, but I think they still did publish the story. Not sure if that can be found online or not, but I assume they'd get into how he became "Pacers Guy" and any connection to Indy he has.

Let's not forget that Jarrod gave up his seats. I'm assuming Matt's still keeping his and doesn't appear to scalp them off as far as I can tell. I think he just gives them to friends.

Maybe we can nominate Hibbert and his former stripper wife to be the new faces of the franchise. ;) :devil:

NuffSaid
05-20-2008, 04:14 PM
It's the guy holding the sign, not the sign itself. He's the same guy that used to come to a ton of Pacers home games with a hard hat Pacer helmet and all kinds of signs....the "sign guy" or whatever he is called.
I thought that was the same guy. You use to see him in the stands alot holding up all kinds of sign but particular "It's Miller Time" until Reggie retired. I think he got his start in Indy w/the Pacers and now is some kind of franchise unto himself much like the San Diego Chicken is now just, "the Chicken". :p

idioteque
05-20-2008, 04:16 PM

He is good friends with the Simon's.

lenin_fresh
05-21-2008, 02:48 AM
:hmm: So...is that a toupee?