PDA

View Full Version : Ran into Mike Dunleavy today.......

Smoothdave1
05-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Just a cool story that I thought I would share with my fellow PD'ers:

I took my car in this morning to a local dealership here in Indianapolis to have it serviced. To kill some time, I started walking around the dealership looking at various vehicles. While surfing the net at a computer terminal on the showroof floor, I looked over and who do I see? Mike Dunleavy and his beautiful fiancee looking at vehicles.

I was a little hesitant to say anything at first as I hate to bother well known figures when I see them out on their own time. However, Mike and his fiancee were very friendly and accomodating. I spoke to Mike for a few minutes and his fiancee was kind enough to take a picture of us using my cell phone. Mike did mention a few things:

-- Said he was happy that it was finally nice and sunny in Indy and not raining, haha
-- Said he liked Indy and would be here for a good part of the summer, although I did ask if he would be back in NYC to work out like he did last summer, and he mentioned he would be returning for a while this summer
-- I was joking around with him and mentioned "The Mike Dunleavy song" on youtube and he said that was all Foster's doing, haha
-- I congratulated both he and his fiancee as they are getting married this summer and his fiancee seemed pretty excited about that

Definitely made my day as he was just super friendly and nice. I've seen other Pacer players and NBA players out and Mike carried himself like he was an average guy and was very down to earth. It just gave me another reason to cheer for Mike and the Pacers. Thanks, Mike!!!!

Trader Joe
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
What kind of car was he looking at? Need to know whether or not Mike has good taste.

Cobol Sam
05-16-2008, 08:01 PM
The Mike Dunleavy song on youtube?

AesopRockOn
05-16-2008, 08:02 PM
NOKsr4L9lh0

C'mon, I just had to do it.

Smoothdave1
05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Mike was looking at various SUV's. Yes, they were nice, but certainly not extravagant and something you would see in any residential suburban neighborhood.

Here's a link for the Dunleavy song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvphTqMvGWo

Trader Joe
05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
NOKsr4L9lh0

C'mon, I just had to do it.

What a showboating thug.

Robertmto
05-16-2008, 11:35 PM
and Mike carried himself like he was an average guy and was very down to earth.

He plays like an average guy too :devil:

Shade
05-16-2008, 11:48 PM
He plays like an average guy too :devil:

I'm sorry, I think you're looking for the Jared Jeffries thread down the hall. :devil:

Robertmto
05-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry, I think you're looking for the Jared Jeffries thread down the hall. :devil:

Iron Man sucked :devil:

Shade
05-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Iron Man sucked :devil:

Go suck a speedbag. :devil:

Robertmto
05-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Go suck a speedbag. :devil:

I'm bombarding X-Site Tomoro :devil:

Shade
05-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm bombarding X-Site Tomoro :devil:

Go for it. I'll help you burn it down. :devil:

Will Galen
05-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks for posting this Dave!

cramerica
05-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Very cool story.

duke dynamite
05-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Mike is one of the easiest to talk to. Probably one of the best pro athletes to hold a friendly conversation with. He has went out of his way to connect with his new fans this past season.

I wish there were more players like him when it comes to that.

N8R
05-17-2008, 06:16 AM
That is cool. I always enjoy hearing stories like that. The most famous person I met was Fred Penner...That Right THE Fred Penner.

Indianapolis_girly
05-17-2008, 01:40 PM
good story Dave!
I haven`t really been lucky enough to meet one of the guys outside of autograph signings and games.
that's pretty cool.

mike is a pretty nice guy.
we were in the tunnel the last game when the guys came out and highfived everyone, and mike was the only one that thanked every fan one by one for supporting them this season.
it really got my mom's attention, which is kinda hard considering her eyes are always on JO. lol.

Smoothdave1
05-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Glad you all enjoyed the story. It definitely made my day yesterday and I was pleased to find out that Mike was an even better person off the court.

The one thing that really struck me about Dunleavy, although we spoke briefly, was that he seemed very comfortable with the Pacers and being in Indy. I said something along the lines of "I'm glad you're here, Mike". He responded with a "Thanks, I'm really glad to be here too". Now granted, just about every player would say this, but I think it speaks volumes that Dunleavy is still in Indy when the season ended about a month ago. Most players take off a few days after the season ends and return back in September or October. I think that with Dunleavy's breakout season and the support he has received in Indy (unlike Golden State), he has grown to really like and embrace Indy. I don't know if I can say all of the players on the Pacers actually want to be here.

madison
05-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Excellent reporting, SmoothDave. Thanks for sharing this contact with PD.

Bball
05-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Glad you all enjoyed the story. It definitely made my day yesterday and I was pleased to find out that Mike was an even better person off the court.

The one thing that really struck me about Dunleavy, although we spoke briefly, was that he seemed very comfortable with the Pacers and being in Indy. I said something along the lines of "I'm glad you're here, Mike". He responded with a "Thanks, I'm really glad to be here too". Now granted, just about every player would say this, but I think it speaks volumes that Dunleavy is still in Indy when the season ended about a month ago. Most players take off a few days after the season ends and return back in September or October. I think that with Dunleavy's breakout season and the support he has received in Indy (unlike Golden State), he has grown to really like and embrace Indy. I don't know if I can say all of the players on the Pacers actually want to be here.

It's always good to hear of people that understand without the fans they wouldn't have a career. Not only that, but as you correctly point out, it's nice that he's still in Indy. I'll take that farther... since it appears he's planning on spending money in Indy and keeping at least some of his paycheck local rather than out of the county or state, that is also being a good citizen. It also doesn't hurt reconnecting with fans and corporate types when players 'spread the (monetary) love' by shopping locally.

Or IOW... It's much better to spend some of the money they've made from the Indy Pacers at a local car dealer or home theater installer rather than with a criminal defense attorney. ;)

GO!!!!!
05-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Nice post, thanks for sharing it...

duke dynamite
05-19-2008, 02:12 AM
Close to a couple games twards the end of the season Mike asked my friend and I if we started working on the Jeff Foster rap for him...

I told him we would start on it after my classes were over.

I'm ready to get to work.

RandyWrinkles
05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
That is cool. I always enjoy hearing stories like that. The most famous person I met was Fred Penner...That Right THE Fred Penner.

Lol thats awesome. I love his version of "The Cat Came Back".