PDA

View Full Version : How many PFs in the draft is Ike better than?

Anthem
05-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I only ask because I'm wondering how low we'd have to go before a team would trade us Ike for their pick. He's not a great defender, obviously, but he's a good kid who works hard and has an A+ post game. Could we get a mid-teens pick for him? Or has his value dropped through the floor?

Anthem
05-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Besides Beasley and Love, PFs in the draft are:

Darrell Arthur
Jason Thompson
Nikola Pekovic
Nathan Jawai

I know nothing about these guys, so your thoughts are welcome. Also, if there's a first-rounder PF that I don't have here, add them.

tdubb03
05-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Perhaps the Grizzlies or Sonics would have interest in him in return for one of their 20 something picks?

Trader Joe
05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
DJ White is a fringe first round pick in some mocks. How do you think he compares to Ike? I'm not a big Ike fan, so I probably shouldn't chime in.

dohman
05-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Wasn't IKE a #7 pick? I wouldnt give up on him just yet. He has shown flashes and just needs to work on his team d in the summer.

Trader Joe
05-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Not just his team D, he's a horrible decision maker and even when he makes the right decision he's a horrible passer. His ballhandling is questionable, his one on one D is below average when you factor in his height. The only place Ike is above average is in the post and even then he struggles to finish at times.

Hicks
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Wasn't IKE a #7 pick? I wouldnt give up on him just yet. He has shown flashes and just needs to work on his team d in the summer.

He was drafted at #9.

tdubb03
05-16-2008, 12:04 AM
DJ White is a fringe first round pick in some mocks. How do you think he compares to Ike? I'm not a big Ike fan, so I probably shouldn't chime in.

I'm not an Ike fan at all really. If Memphis or Seattle would give us one of their later picks and whatever bag of chips for us to cut to make the deal work, I think Seattle is 24 and Memphis 28, something like that, for Ike and we got DJ I'd love it.

d_c
05-16-2008, 12:19 AM

He was the #9 pick.

So he just needs to work on his team D this summer? It's that easy? Every player in the league should come back next season a better team defender, then.

What do you expect him to do? Learn high level NBA team defense during summer pickup games?

He could go to summer league, but I wouldn't exactly call that league a very high level of play. It's disjointed and discombobulated most of the time. You have very inexperienced/young guys to begin with playing with each other for the first time to go along with refs who have no idea how to call a game.

Learning team defense in that kind of environment is pretty tough. If he can't learn it within the context of an NBA season playing alongside NBA players with NBA coaching, I justs don't see him doing it all by himself during the summer.

avoidingtheclowns
05-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Richard Hendrix is also a PF in this draft fringe 1st. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Richard-Hendrix-229/

skyfire
05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Besides Beasley and Love, PFs in the draft are:

Nathan Jawai

I know nothing about these guys, so your thoughts are welcome. Also, if there's a first-rounder PF that I don't have here, add them.

Jawai is an Aussie, having spent the last season playing in the NBL (Australian and New Zealand league). He put up 18 and 10 in his rookie season.

nbadraft.net has him at 6'10 275-280, so he is pretty well built. His offensive game is relatively raw but shows definite potential. Very physical inside player, could be David Harrison without the crazy if he keeps improving.

Not sure if he would suit OB's system but he would be an intriguing pick if he fell to us in the 2nd round. He was projected as a mid 2nd rounder, but seems to have moved up to late 1st round on some mocks.

Better or worse than Ike? He has the size to be a PF/C whereas Ike is on the short side for a PF. Not nearly the refined offensive game that Ike has but there is potential there.

nbadraft.net's player comparison is Charles Oakley. If he turns out to be half the player that Oak was I think a Jawai/Bogut front line for the Australian team should be very interesting down the track.

blanket
05-16-2008, 01:45 AM
if we trade Ike for a late first round pick, why would we have to then use the pick on another PF? I could see us draft a PF at 11, then draft a guard or center with the second pick just as easily.

dohman
05-16-2008, 01:50 AM
He was the #9 pick.

So he just needs to work on his team D this summer? It's that easy? Every player in the league should come back next season a better team defender, then.

What do you expect him to do? Learn high level NBA team defense during summer pickup games?

He could go to summer league, but I wouldn't exactly call that league a very high level of play. It's disjointed and discombobulated most of the time. You have very inexperienced/young guys to begin with playing with each other for the first time to go along with refs who have no idea how to call a game.

Learning team defense in that kind of environment is pretty tough. If he can't learn it within the context of an NBA season playing alongside NBA players with NBA coaching, I justs don't see him doing it all by himself during the summer.

Sorry on the draft pick mistake. I was trying to remember and was 2 spots off.

Ike will be as good as he wants to be. We all know if you make a conscious effort and work very hard in the off season he can improve on his defense.

I am not drinking his koolaid because I agree he is very raw. I just think the coaching staff needs to put some time in him.

croz24
05-16-2008, 02:05 AM
i'd draft jason thompson before i'd even sniff at kevin love. problem with thompson is nobody knows where he's going to be drafted. i view him as a top 15 player in the draft, but he could go anywhere from late lottery, to late 1st, to even early 2nd. his ability is surely top 15 though...arthur has a top notch post game but his height and frame just might not be enough at the nba level. drafting an arthur would just be a lateral move compared to ike...

Speed
05-16-2008, 07:44 AM
I think you can get a 20 something pick for him in couple of situations. A team that doesn't like a player they have to commit to in those spots. A team that still thinks he will develop and is thin at PF.

I think, maybe, if you trade your second rounder and Ike, you could look to get into the high teens, maybe not. A team would do that if they think the player you get at the Pacers spot in the second round isn't much of a drop off, then you have Ike who falls off the books in a year, i think, and you only have a one year commitment to the 2nd round pick.

Maybe Seattle at 24 with their 2nd first round pick would be a target for a trade.

Trailblazers at 13 is someone else to think about, I think that pick would likely be moved for them. They don't need more young players, it seems, and I think they have too many players on the roster to boot.

PacerGuy
05-16-2008, 09:15 AM
If I had a chance to move Ike for a late teens/ early 20's, I targrt R.Hibbert!!!
Can't teach 7'3", & this gut was top 10 at the start of the year. Even in an up-tempo system, having a post presense (esp. late in games) is a Huge advantage!

Jonathan
05-16-2008, 09:23 AM
If we trade Ike for a later first round pick we would probably select either Mario Chalmers or DJ Augustine. I do not think the draft is the way for the Pacers and Larry Bird's philosphy of win now. Keep in mind we have the 11 & 41 picks in the draft.

Anthem another possible first round PF selection is
JJ Hickson out of North Carolina St
DJ White is alsow a possible first rounder as well (ie late)

Naptown_Seth
05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
How many PFs in the draft is Ike better than?
None of them?

:p

Can't teach 7'3", & this gut was top 10 at the start of the year.
WAS, the word is "was" and it's the fact that he was top 10 and isn't anymore that's a warning sign. I saw him play about 7-8 times and not only can you not teach 7'3", you apparently can't teach quickness and speed either.

I really like the kid, good to see him return to school, seems like a class act. I could say the same about Hicks, but I wouldn't draft him either.

Arthur is the only one I saw and I think he has the capability of being as effective as Harrison in the post but without the outbursts and overly physical play. I would put him in the game before Ike or Hulk at this point when I was looking to attack the low post more. Arthur goes before where you could trade to with Ike and I just don't see any other teams feeling like Ike is a better risk than Arthur at this point.

Personally I'd also take White over Ike, though White is more a Foster/Dale lite to me, a banger far more than a post attack. I realize in COLLEGE he scored, so did Dale and Jeff. But regardless I think White would impact the game overall more in his time than Ike has been able to (in a sum total postive way I mean).

Major Cold
05-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Speights if he stays in the draft is by far the best true 4 if we trade JO after BEasley.

DJ White might be better, or he might just be an injury prone Alan Henderson wanabe.

I think if we went small with the first pick, we would have to go big if we traded into this pick. But if we draft a Love, Jordan, or Speights? I can see us going after a Walker/Rush/CDR/Chalmers (not in that order mind you).

I wonder if we can trade next years 2nd rounder to Portland to retain Phx 2nd?

Speed
05-16-2008, 10:12 AM
I've seen Speights listed from 6th to low 20s. I wish I knew more about him, very interesting. I guess the guy gives great effort on both ends.

Anthem
05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't pick a PF with any pick we traded for Ike. The point would be to pick a mid/late guard like CDR or Rush.

Naptown_Seth
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't pick a PF with any pick we traded for Ike. The point would be to pick a mid/late guard like CDR or Rush.
Do not toy with my emotions.
:pray:

Speed
05-16-2008, 11:00 AM

Well, it seems and its early, one or both of those players will be there. I think it might be one of the most active drafts trading wise, ever. Everyone wants to shake things up, except whoever wins the title, it might seem. So I really do think its possible.

Trader Joe
05-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Hibbert sucks.

Second line.

d_c
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I've seen Speights listed from 6th to low 20s. I wish I knew more about him, very interesting. I guess the guy gives great effort on both ends.

He's really not much on the defensive end. And as someone else said, he's more Juwan Howard than he is Al Jefferson. He's more of a finesse player than his physique would suggest.

A decent enough prospect at #11 or lower.

CableKC
05-16-2008, 01:04 PM
if we trade Ike for a late first round pick, why would we have to then use the pick on another PF? I could see us draft a PF at 11, then draft a guard or center with the second pick just as easily.
If we were to do that, to me....that would mean that Ike isn't the type of PF that we need in our lineup. We would be trading one PF for another one that would likely fit in our lineup and what we are trying to do. Because I believe that JO'B wouldn't play Ike ( despite his comments about him ) because of his lack of defense, I would easily take Jason Thompson or even DJ White over Ike.

BlueNGold
05-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Sad story. I thought he would be a solid, productive player. It might be worth one more year, but Ike unfortunately has shown very little in terms of bball IQ. I am beginning to doubt now that he will ever amount to much...certainly no starting PF or C in the NBA.

I suspect someone might want him as a project for their #25-#30 pick...but that's becoming a stretch.

If we do pick-up a PF at #11, it would be wise to package Ike in a trade of some kind...maybe along with Quis...

eldubious
05-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Wasn't Ike almost traded to Houston for their 26th pick last year? Combine that with the fact that he hasn't shown any progress since his first year in the league. At best, the Pacers could get a late lst from a team with a glimmer of hope for him. Realistically, Foster will have more value and could bring back a mid-first to the Pacers.

Kegboy
05-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Me either.

Seriously, if we could get CDR or Rush for Ike, you just do it, plain and simple. (Why anyone would take it is beyond me, though.)

Anthem
05-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Seriously, if we could get CDR or Rush for Ike,
The #20 pick should get one of those two guys.

The thought was that if a team was going to pick a PF in the draft, at some point Ike becomes a more interesting commodity than the guys being picked. The question was how far down the line before that happens.