PDA

View Full Version : Appaling gestures...

Kstat
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/eureca323/fishfancopy.jpg

Nice way to make fun of a guy whose daughter is suffering from eye cancer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/eureca323/fishfancopy.jpg

jeffg-body
05-15-2008, 03:01 PM
I have to agree there. what a douchebag fans can be.

Shade
05-15-2008, 03:04 PM
This thread is taking a humongous leap into the realm of assumption.

tdubb03
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM

Agreed. It's a split second in time, his hand could be there for any reason. We need video.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 03:08 PM

Find me any other reason why he'd be looking directly at Fisher while doing that and I'll be happy to hear it.

People don't randomly cover the side of their faces like that. If he had something in his eye, he wouldn't be doing that, nor would he be looking straight at Fisher.

Moses
05-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Find me any other reason why he'd be looking directly at Fisher while doing that and I'll be happy to hear it.

People don't randomly cover the side of their faces like that. If he had something in his eye, he wouldn't be doing that, nor would he be looking straight at Fisher.
I agree but only because these are the same fans that boo'd Fisher in his return to Salt Lake City when he left the Jazz on very good terms. This is why I always root against the Jazz.

Unclebuck
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I find it completely inappropriate to yell at any players, whether they are on either team. Sure oif you want to boo the other team, make noise when they shoot free throws. But anytime anyone yells at an individual player - it makes me mad, especially when their 8 year old son is sitting next to them

SoupIsGood
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Wait, are we looking at his shirt? I'm confused.

Edit: Oops! I get it.

... it sure doesn't look good. Is he maybe adjusting his hat?

Speed
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM

I think you're probably right, but I'll play devils advocate.

Where else would he be looking, but Fisher.

Maybe he had something in his eye, maybe he was yelling so loud a blood vessel broke in his eye, maybe his contact was dry and he was rubbing it, maybe he had an eye headache, maybe he was checking an unseen eyechart.

I mean I get what it looks like and some of stuff that goes on, I for sure think its possible, but it can be explained away.

tdubb03
05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Wait, are we looking at his shirt? I'm confused.

Fisher's daughter got a rare form of eye cancer, which is why he left Utah. He requested a trade or release so he could go to NY/LA/somewhere with facilities to treat it.

count55
05-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Yup...this is why whenever I watch any sporting event where I'm not specifically cheering for one team or the other, I pretty regularly end up cheering for the road team.

That being said, I still hate the Lakers and want the Jazz to win...it's OK, though, if that jackass gets hit by a passing bus.

Will Galen
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Yup...this is why whenever I watch any sporting event where I'm not specifically cheering for one team or the other, I pretty regularly end up cheering for the road team.

That being said, I still hate the Lakers and want the Jazz to win...it's OK, though, if that jackass gets hit by a passing bus.

Ah . . . that statement is worse than what that fan was doing!

Ragnar
05-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Several of the people seem to have oh god he is killing us looks on their faces. Some people have hands covering their mouths like they are witnessing a tragedy. In that context to me it looks like a hand on the face because the game is going bad.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Several of the people seem to have oh god he is killing us looks on their faces. Some people have hands covering their mouths like they are witnessing a tragedy. In that context to me it looks like a hand on the face because the game is going bad.

Not once in my life have I seen someone making that sort of a gesture during a game.

hand covering forehead? Sure.

hand covering both eyes? Sure.

hand covering mouth? Sure.

But the one time I see someone covering ONE EYE with the flat of his hand, he just HAPPENS to be doing it at a guy whose daughter has eye cancer, as a fan of the team the guy just left?

Sorry, too much of a coincidence for me.

d_c
05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Article on the subject

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/22893-Utah-Jazz-The-Most-Disgusting-Fans-In-The-History-of-Sports

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0030/9791/38701985_article.jpg

Speed
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Does anyone have the Reggie at the Garden picture, I'd bet there's someone in the crowd doing that. You know the one.

It'd be like a Where's Waldo.

Even if not, I love that picture. :)

Major Cold
05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Have you guys watched a LA-Utah game. The crowd boos Fisher everytime. Don't be naive. Utah has the worst fans in the world imo.

LoneGranger33
05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Do you have some sort of vendetta against Utah fans? He could very easily be wiping sweat off his forehead.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Do you have some sort of vendetta against Utah fans? He could very easily be wiping sweat off his forehead.

Except his forehead is covered by a cap...

you know, most people tend to lift off their caps when they wipe off sweat....

LoneGranger33
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
What you just said makes little to no sense. A baseball cap does not cover one's forehead. Indeed, it rarely goes past a person's hairline. It's science. It is irrefutable.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
a cap doesn't touch your forehead? What the hell?

Indianapolis_girly
05-15-2008, 04:10 PM
tsk tsk tsk, those utah jazz fans.
classless. I hate their fans.
I also don`t like the bells they ring in that arena. Has anyone noticed that?
they ring bells in that place at the weirdest times.

but, yeah, if this is what it looks like, that`s just really pathetic.

JayRedd
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
If he's doing what kstat thinks he's doing then, yeah, it's horrible.

On a much better note:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/cgoldens/2.jpg

ajbry
05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
tsk tsk tsk, those utah jazz fans.
classless. I hate their fans.

Amen to that. There's always something going on in their crowd. Last year it was racial slurs and this year it's even more pathetic.

I'd go on about the entire state of Utah and the teachings of the Mormon religion but I don't think we want to go there in this thread.

LoneGranger33
05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
a cap doesn't touch your forehead? What the hell?

It's possible, even probable, that he is doing what you say, but please read what I write before you formulate a response.

I don't think it is right to single out the Jazz fans for doing stupid ****. Every team - probably not the Raptors - has its own group of classless fans. Some of them do completely inappropriate **** like this, some drive over a crowd of opposing fans, and others throw cups of beer at the players, but all sports franchises have them.

ajbry
05-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Jazz fans have a well-known reputation for being vile and disgusting and these incidents are becoming far too frequent to just dismiss them as a few bad apples. Everyone knows it's a pattern at this point.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 04:19 PM
I never singled out Utah fans. I singled out THAT fan.

LoneGranger33
05-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I never singled out you. I was responding to the whole thread in that second line.

Ajbry, I think people are more inclined to look for it amongst Utah fans - for reasons that you may have already touched upon. On a unrelated note, it's good to see you posting with some frequency again.

ajbry
05-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks, it's the end of the semester and it's the playoffs so PD is back on my radar finally.

I don't doubt that many Jazz fans are respectable human beings and most of them don't wish anything malicious towards opposing players and their families. However, over the past two years - in the playoffs alone - there has been a disturbing trend that a lot of people are starting to see.

Indianapolis_girly
05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Amen to that. There's always something going on in their crowd. Last year it was racial slurs and this year it's even more pathetic.

I'd go on about the entire state of Utah and the teachings of the Mormon religion but I don't think we want to go there in this thread.
Darn right. They don`t care what team you`re on or what player you are, they will boo the living crap out of you. I`ve noticed that they boo when guys get hurt and are laying on the court for a while. Most fans would get kinda quiet then clap when the person got up. Not in Utah, they`ll boo the guy the whole time he`s on the ground and when he gets back up too.

Sollozzo
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I never singled out Utah fans. I singled out THAT fan.

I'll single them out.

Utah fans were total dicks for booing Fisher earlier in the season. Enough of them did it at that game for one to draw the assumption that they were classless, at least in respect to that issue.

I mean, the guy flew in from New York, while his daughter was battling a life-threating disease, just to play for your team. Booing him goes beyond having no class.

I would be appalled at Pacer fans if they did that.

d_c
05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Darn right. They don`t care what team you`re on or what player you are, they will boo the living crap out of you. I`ve noticed that they boo when guys get hurt and are laying on the court for a while. Most fans would get kinda quiet then clap when the person got up. Not in Utah, they`ll boo the guy the whole time he`s on the ground and when he gets back up too.

Also recall that Jazz fans threw stuff onto the floor after Game 4 of last year's WCFs after they were unhappy with the officiating. The only saving grace was that it was after the game had ended.

Still, that's far worse than any type of offensive chants they have.

And the media pretty much let them skate on this. If that had been Detroit (or Indy) where fans threw stuff on the floor, that would've been magnified.

I have great respect for the Utah Jazz organization. One of the best run franchises in the league for 20+ years now, but some of their fans stoop to embarssingly low levels.

Hicks
05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Inconclusive. I can see it, especially given that many Jazz fans choose to boo Derek Fisher at all. But I'm not convinced, either.

Indianapolis_girly
05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Also recall that Jazz fans through stuff onto the floor after Game 4 of last year's WCFs after they were unhappy with the officiating. The only saving grace was that it was after the game had ended.

Still, that's far worse than any type of offensive chants they have.

And the media pretty much let them skate on this. If that had been Detroit (or Indy) where fans through stuff on the floor, that would've been magnified.

I have great respect for the Utah Jazz organization. One of the best run franchises in the league for 20+ years now, but some of their fans stoop to embarssingly low levels.
Yeah, I agree on everything you said.
They`re a good team, with a great history, but their fans are just so annoying.

Shade
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Probably the same reason some people are covering their mouths and making other gestures at the same time while looking at Fisher?

People don't randomly cover the side of their faces like that.

I do it all the time when watching the Pacers play. :(

What you're claiming is surely possible, but there are plenty of other things it could be that are just as likely.

With all that said, most Jazz fans appear to be jackasses. Booing Fisher is completely uncalled for.

ajbry
05-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Also recall that Jazz fans threw stuff onto the floor after Game 4 of last year's WCFs after they were unhappy with the officiating. The only saving grace was that it was after the game had ended.

And something you and I are familiar with from the previous round...

http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2007/06/20/20070619175106.jpeg

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46046/20070511/utah_fan_directs_racial_slur_at_jackson/

"Well, we're not hearing racial slurs, we're not hearing people wishing for me to go to jail," Jackson said. "That's the difference for me. I'm loved here in Oakland. I'm John Gotti in Utah."

"That was something new," Richardson said. "It shocked all of us. We weren't expecting that. I mean, (Jazz fans) were trying to get into our heads any way they can, but I couldn't believe anybody would stoop that low. It's nonsense."

Will Galen
05-15-2008, 05:10 PM
I agree with Kstat on this one. The fan is covering his eye while yelling too. If your yelling at someone your gestures and movements lend support. You don't yell and rub your face at the same time.

Edit; Read DC's post 15 link.

AesopRockOn
05-15-2008, 05:24 PM
This isn't all though. Several fans who attended the game have said that some Jazz fans were chanting "cancer" over and over again when Fisher would touch the ball or shoot free throws.

This is from the "article" that dc posted (it's bleacher report so you never know). But if it's true even for a few individuals, it's a low point. Even lower than the Boy Scouts being allowed to discriminate against gays and atheists (well almost). Jazz fans need to :chillpill.

Indianapolis_girly
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
This is from the "article" that dc posted (it's bleacher report so you never know). But if it's true even for a few individuals, it's a low point. Even lower than the Boy Scouts being allowed to discriminate against gays and atheists (well almost). Jazz fans need to :chillpill.
wow, if that whole chanting "cancer" thing is true, then I don`t think they can stoop any lower than that. That`s really sad. Treat others the way you would want to be treated people, that's the "golden rule".

Shade
05-15-2008, 07:51 PM

That's absolutely despicable. If I were Fisher I'd hunt down and beat the living crap out of each and every person who did that.

Sadly, this is no huge shock coming from Utah. Bunch of close-minded, self-righteous people there.

SoupIsGood
05-15-2008, 07:52 PM
They were actually chanting 'cancer'? That's sick.

LoneGranger33
05-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Maybe they were chanting 'can't score'?

Just kiddin'.

tdubb03
05-15-2008, 08:00 PM
If that cancer chant is true, Stern really should do something. Jerry Sloan, Larry Miller, the PA announcer, someone.

Will Galen
05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
That's absolutely despicable. If I were Fisher I'd hunt down and beat the living crap out of each and every person who did that.

Sadly, this is no huge shock coming from Utah. Bunch of close-minded, self-righteous people there.

How would that help? You let people know loud and clear you think their actions are despicable. That might shame them into changing. All violence does is lead to more problems and violence.

LoneGranger33
05-15-2008, 08:05 PM
But as long as Derek fights them there instead of here, we're all ok.

Trader Joe
05-15-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm not so sure thats what he is doing. I could very easily see someone slapping their face like that in a split instant. I'd wager I've done it a time or two. We all have different mannerisms. I'll admit it doesn't look good, but I can't imagine that this guy would be that classless, but who knows.

Trader Joe
05-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Ok a cancer chant? Seriously???? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

idioteque
05-15-2008, 11:11 PM
I guess what that guy is doing could really mean anything. However, we're talking about Utah fans here, who are the most classless fans in the league. Where there's smoke, there's fire. If a mass murderer is walking down the street with red stuff all over his clothes, I'm going to assume it's blood rather than an encounter with a particularly messy cheeseburger. Their fans have done too much to assume anything good or positive will ever come from them.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 11:50 PM
OK, the spurs fans tonight blew this guy away.

Shade
05-15-2008, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't go quite that far. Verbally attacking a guy's family, especially one who is seriously ill, is worse IMO.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't go quite that far. Verbally attacking a guy's family, especially one who is seriously ill, is worse IMO.

if it was a whole crowd of Jazz fans doing it, I'd agree.

SycamoreKen
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I missed it. What did they do?

Hicks
05-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Not even close. Mocking a child's cancer in front of her daddy is far worse than cheering a grown man's injury.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Not even close. Mocking a child's cancer in front of her daddy is far worse than cheering a grown man's injury.

1 guy vs 15,000.

AGain, if it was a crowd of jazz fans it would have been far worse, obviously.

Hicks
05-15-2008, 11:56 PM
1 guy vs 15,000.

Doesn't matter, that's not how it works. If I find 100,000 to cheer over a dude's hang nail it's not worse because more people joined in.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure.

100,000 people celebrating a hang nail is pretty damn disturbing.

SycamoreKen
05-15-2008, 11:58 PM
I doubt they were all cheering West's bad back. Just the drunk ones. Oh wait it's SA they were probably all drunk.

Kstat
05-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I doubt they were all cheering West's bad back. Just the drunk ones. Oh wait it's SA they were probably all drunk.

I'm sure it was his 0 points and 5 fouls in 14 minutes...that usually gets you a standing O.

Sollozzo
05-16-2008, 06:24 AM
1 guy vs 15,000.

AGain, if it was a crowd of jazz fans it would have been far worse, obviously.

IIRC, enough Jazz fans booed Fisher earlier in the season to where you can put them ahead of the Spurs.

But the chanting of a players name who has taken a player out, the only thing he's done all series (year), is pretty bad.

Speed
05-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Not to belittle the potential situation, but that article is written by some kid.

He quotes a 17 year old and a 20 years old fan.

At one point the 20 year old goes something like "in all my years of watching sports..."

Really in all of your years.

Naptown_Seth
05-16-2008, 09:20 AM
baseball cap does not cover

doesn't touch your forehead
KStat making a move for most argumentative by applying a generous lack of subtlety awareness.

but all sports franchises have them.
But if we can get Redd out of the picture Pacers fans will be in the clear. Well, also distract OPL on game days and keep the Canadians stuck at the border on Labatts smuggling charges.

And whatever happened to smack based on a guy's GAME. Get a brain and go after something you know will also bother him. You think a guy doesn't know a bad night or a running problem he has. Cripes, goad the guy into showing you up and make him do stuff he stinks at. Like run endless "can't go left" taunts at Fred Jones till he forces the issue. I like to taunt players that someone else on the team is freezing them out/hogging the ball personally, especially when it's true (Paul Pierce in Bos/Ind series a few years ago), get them to forces their own game and look for shots outside the system. I don't mean get on a sleeping giant, I mean get on stuff that's likely to help the team.

It bugs them because guys will yap at the crowd about their game, probably a lot more than dealing with some personal crap that they just start to chalk up as bad taste and low class. A few years ago you could get Ricky Davis taking 22 shots at a 25% rate and still glaring at you after all 6 makes. :)

sweabs
05-16-2008, 09:56 AM
and keep the Canadians stuck at the border on Labatts smuggling charges.
You'd like that, eh? Enjoy the watered down stuff you guys call beer.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to the individual in the original picture to conclude that he was making a classless gesture directed towards Fisher. It is one picture taken within a split second of time. We are assuming that the only reason he has his hand on his face like that is to mock Fisher about his daughter's eye cancer.

Come on...there are so many other potential explanations. I don't even think the man in question is looking at the play at hand. He (along with several other surrounding fans) are clearly looking somewhere else at something that has caught their attention. Nevertheless, we cannot conclude that this guy is classless based on this picture.

N8R
05-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with that statement.

Also that pic by JayRedd made ma laugh pretty hard.

Trader Joe
05-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Not to belittle the potential situation, but that article is written by some kid.

He quotes a 17 year old and a 20 years old fan.

At one point the 20 year old goes something like "in all my years of watching sports..."

Really in all of your years.

Yeah because young people obviously don't know anything about sports...:rolleyes:

Major Cold
05-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I agree with that statement.

Also that pic by JayRedd made ma laugh pretty hard.

I a still laughing at it.

JayRedd
05-16-2008, 12:35 PM
SI did a pretty good look into how horrible college crowds are a few months ago. To me, it's even worse at that level since they are chastising 18-year-old kids to the point that a guy like Chris Lofton won't even tell people he has cancer because he knows he will get mocked for it when they go to Gainsville or Athens.

This is the story.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/02/26/abusive.fans0303/index.html

And this is a list of some of the worst incidents from the past. I've quoted a few of the most heinous.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/02/26/pattern.of.abuse0303/index.html

• In February 1988, Arizona senior guard Steve Kerr was cruelly reminded of the murder of his father -- Malcolm H. Kerr, the president of the American University of Beirut -- by terrorists in Lebanon four years earlier. In a game against archrival Arizona State, in Tempe, Kerr was taunted by Sun Devils fans, who yelled "PLO, PLO." (The Palestine Liberation Organization was never linked to the assassination.)

• Fifteen months after Maryland forward Herman Veal was accused of sexual misconduct toward another Maryland student, Duke's Cameron Crazies wouldn't let him forget it -- even though formal charges were never filed against him. In a January 1984 game between the Terps and Blue Devils, Duke fans greeted Veal by throwing panties and condoms into the air when he was introduced, then yelled obscenities throughout the game.

• When Oregon visited Arizona in February 2006, several months had passed since Ducks coach Ernie Kent had denied rumors that he had had an extramarital affair. Yet whenever Kent's son Jordan, a guard on the Oregon team, went to the free throw line, the Zona Zoo fan section chanted, "Who's your mistress?"

And here a photo gallery of some fans in action (counters, notice #13)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0802/campus.fan.abuse/content.1.html

On a much better note, however, in looking for this story through Google I may have found the best thread ever (NSFW, although you can't actually see any of her naughty parts). Is it too late to submit this for Thread of the Year, Hicks? Post #9 is amazing.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=71817

Putnam
05-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I may have found the best thread ever (maybe NSFW, though there's no nudity).

The young woman who fills up about 80% of the frame is what I would call nude. But maybe you missed her. She's right there in the middle of the frame, hiding behind the ipod Nano.

And, yes, "I wish it was a shuffle" is a great comment.

LoneGranger33
05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I remember a douche bag at my school had a sign that said "The Trail of Tears begins here" when we played FSU - the Seminoles - in football. Though historically accurate (the Seminoles were the only ones to put up fierce resistance to relocation), his bad karma guaranteed a loss for the Eagles.

Naptown_Seth
05-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Brought to you by PD's Most Offensive Poster of 08-09...

From now on I'm calling the Delta Center the Cracker Barrel. Copyright that sucker.

"What about your song 'Kill Whitey'?"

"People got that all wrong, we wasn't talkin bout all white people, we were talking about one white person: Whitey Delucca. He was our former manager that stole a bunch of money from us".

I'm betting at least Redd's with me on that one, maybe only Redd in fact.

Trader Joe
05-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I've seen first hand at IU. The guy who thinks he is hot **** because he is trying to start an IU student section once commented on the facebook group for the student section that he was appalled by the F*** you ref chants during the UConn game. However this same fool had suggested the chant Starvin' Marvin be used against Hasheem Thabeet. I promptly called him out on it and said he was a hypocrite and the dude never responded. People like this rarely ever fight back when they are called out on the carpet about their actions. They are no different than bullies tough until someone stands up to them.

LoneGranger33
05-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Sounds like a messed up "This is Spinal Tap" kind of quote.

But the Cracker Barrel is great.

Putnam
05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
http://th110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/gc_musicartist/th_46_8FearOfAblackHat.jpg

Oh, so close, LG

Trader Joe
05-16-2008, 02:27 PM
And their fans can be called the Stormin' Mormons.

JayRedd
05-16-2008, 02:47 PM
...not to be confused with the Enormous Mormon, Shawn Bradley.

tora tora
05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Somebody post that "JO is a crybaby" picture, I love it.

Trader Joe
05-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Marisa Miller. Oh the things I would do to that girl.

Naptown_Seth
05-17-2008, 01:03 AM
http://th110.photobucket.com/albums/n120/gc_musicartist/th_46_8FearOfAblackHat.jpg

Oh, so close, LG
Also called Spinal Rap, so amazingly close LG...unless that was the inside gag on your part.

Now imagine Jackson showing off his house to NBA.tv and they come to his "bunker" where he displays some "Wily Coyote s***" right here. ;)

duke dynamite
05-17-2008, 02:06 AM
On both the main image and the enlargement, why does his hand look blurry?

This photo looks manipulated IMO.

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-17-2008, 04:58 AM

Well even if it is fake, which I doubt, Jazz fans are still the worst fans in the NBA. There's a line that you don't cross as a fan, shouting things or making gestures, and the Jazz fans know no such line. From the racial slurs directed at the Warriors last year..to telling Cap'n Jack to go to jail...to chanting cancer. Nothing made me happier last night than to see the Lakers close it out in Utah and Derek Fisher be an intricate part of it.

idioteque
05-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Yep, I found myself rooting for D Fish and the Lakers as well last night. The Lakers are actually a lot more likable with Kobe/Gasol/Fisher/Turiaf/Odom than they ever were with Kobe/Shaq/Malone and all that crap. I actually kinda like them now.

Indianapolis_girly
05-17-2008, 01:31 PM
yeah, I was a Lakers fan last night.
other nights I`m a Hornets fan.
the Hornets are my fav playoff team.

Shade
05-17-2008, 01:48 PM
yeah, I was a Lakers fan last night.
other nights I`m a Hornets fan.
the Hornets are my fav playoff team.

I still can't root for the Lakers. I can only envision myself rooting for them against the Pistons, really.

:hornets: FTW!

ajbry
05-17-2008, 03:35 PM

So they manipulated his entire arm, the sleeve of his shirt, and his hat in order to fit the hand over the eye?

Nah.

And Jazz fans threw ***** towards the Lakers bench last night, must be another aberration that doesn't indicate any sort of pattern or anything, right?

JayRedd
05-17-2008, 03:56 PM
If it's Lakers/Pistons, I'll have to regrettably root for LA.

And, the photo does look fake.

Shade
05-17-2008, 04:14 PM
If it's Lakers/Pistons, I'll have to regrettably root for LA.

Same here. And that makes me feel all kinds of dirty. :puke:

Big Smooth
05-17-2008, 04:20 PM
So they manipulated his entire arm, the sleeve of his shirt, and his hat in order to fit the hand over the eye?

Nah.

And Jazz fans threw ***** towards the Lakers bench last night, must be another aberration that doesn't indicate any sort of pattern or anything, right?

The photo does look fake. It doesn't mean Jazz fans aren't still obnoxious, it justs means this particular photo is doctored.

carpediem024
05-17-2008, 04:52 PM

It's real and Jazz Fans are annoying, disrespectful, and classless. They even threatened Fish.

Shade
05-17-2008, 04:57 PM
It's real and Jazz Fans are annoying, disrespectful, and classless. They even threatened Fish.

How so?

ajbry
05-17-2008, 05:02 PM
The photo is not manipulated... It's very obvious.

Big Smooth
05-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Not as obvious to some people as others. It looks questionable to some of us.

duke dynamite
05-17-2008, 11:52 PM

I never said it WAS fake. Just that it LOOKS fake.

Yes, it could be real. In both scenarios it could be someone with a shallow sense of respect out of blind "fandom" for the Jazz could have done that.

I've been working closely with photos for a few years now and there is no way that a camera with that good of range would blur out just his hand and nothing else.

The question is how exactly did the photographer get right on the shot of that guy while Fisher was at the line? If I were someone taking photos at a free-throw attempt, I would try and get a tighter shot, than a wide one.

Also, where is the source of this photo? I noticed it was links from a Photobucket account, so I really don't know where the originating webpage for the photo is.

That would really help in this debate. Where did you find it, dude?

EDIT: By the way, the file naming conventions for that photo is what Photoshop defaults the names of .JPEG files when saved from .PSD files.

"fishfancopy.jpg" I know there had to be some editing to get the zoom in, but seriously look at the image, the ref is moving fast and is a little blurred, but I'm sure the hand at the face was either already there or not going as fast.

Look at the other hands in the image and notice that there is not as much blur. Also, it seems like his head is crooked, this image will sell it better if his head wasn't cocked to the side. Hence there would be blur on his head.

On the other hand (no pun intended), some people are doing a lot with their hands. Hmm...

Hicks
05-18-2008, 12:05 AM
I just zoomed in 500% in photoshop, and I think it looks fake.

See for yourself, but I see what looks might be two fingers (pinky and ring finger) curling near the side of his mouth, which would suggest in reality his hand was down there, in a loose fist.

Not to mention from his wrist up the quality goes from bad to worse, or that the hand looks horrible in general.

You can see more clarity of specific fingers of the hand BEHIND (read: further away) the guy in question than you can on him.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/fakefishphoto.jpg

ajbry
05-18-2008, 12:20 AM
I never said it WAS fake. Just that it LOOKS fake.

Yes, it could be real. In both scenarios it could be someone with a shallow sense of respect out of blind "fandom" for the Jazz could have done that.

I've been working closely with photos for a few years now and there is no way that a camera with that good of range would blur out just his hand and nothing else.

The question is how exactly did the photographer get right on the shot of that guy while Fisher was at the line? If I were someone taking photos at a free-throw attempt, I would try and get a tighter shot, than a wide one.

Also, where is the source of this photo? I noticed it was links from a Photobucket account, so I really don't know where the originating webpage for the photo is.

That would really help in this debate. Where did you find it, dude?

EDIT: By the way, the file naming conventions for that photo is what Photoshop defaults the names of .JPEG files when saved from .PSD files.

"fishfancopy.jpg" I know there had to be some editing to get the zoom in, but seriously look at the image, the ref is moving fast and is a little blurred, but I'm sure the hand at the face was either already there or not going as fast.

Look at the other hands in the image and notice that there is not as much blur. Also, it seems like his head is crooked, this image will sell it better if his head wasn't cocked to the side. Hence there would be blur on his head.

On the other hand (no pun intended), some people are doing a lot with their hands. Hmm...

I ask you to look the upper left arm of Fisher. Clearly in motion and clearly the same quality of the hand in question - likely moving as well as the fan yells and tries to draw attention to himself as he pulls his hand directly over his eye. And my main reason for certifying it's authenticity, without a doubt, is the overall posture of the fan. If it were doctored, how does his shirt position and angle of his arm match up perfectly and look completely real?

Of course it has copy in the filename, the dude edited the photo to include the "Classless" caption and the zoomed in spotlight of this particular fan...

Regarding the 500% zoom that Hicks just posted, the quality overall is so atrocious it's simply circumstantial evidence to point out the flaws in the hand. If we're to judge it based on that zoom, this dude obviously has some noticeable yet normal colored moles on his face and his hat has a couple little holes along the brim. And how is the hat perfectly positioned so that his hand has full, uninhibited access to make such a motion?

Trader Joe
05-18-2008, 12:50 AM
I submit that the guy was giving Fisher the finger and that the gesture was blurred out thus creating the apparent allusion that he was covering his eye. The guy IMO was still being an *******, but at least he wasn't mocking Fisher's daughter.

duke dynamite
05-18-2008, 01:14 AM
I ask you to look the upper left arm of Fisher. Clearly in motion and clearly the same quality of the hand in question - likely moving as well as the fan yells and tries to draw attention to himself as he pulls his hand directly over his eye. And my main reason for certifying it's authenticity, without a doubt, is the overall posture of the fan. If it were doctored, how does his shirt position and angle of his arm match up perfectly and look completely real?

Of course it has copy in the filename, the dude edited the photo to include the "Classless" caption and the zoomed in spotlight of this particular fan...

Regarding the 500% zoom that Hicks just posted, the quality overall is so atrocious it's simply circumstantial evidence to point out the flaws in the hand. If we're to judge it based on that zoom, this dude obviously has some noticeable yet normal colored moles on his face and his hat has a couple little holes along the brim. And how is the hat perfectly positioned so that his hand has full, uninhibited access to make such a motion?

I think in the real photo, he was creating a amplifier with his hand, like to yell. Which made the postition of the arm easier to not have to do anything with, also explaining the shirt.

You guys know what I mean?

heywoode
05-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Crimeny!!!...You photo analysis people must freelance for the CIA! Only kidding; if I cared about this argument, I would be doing the same thing...

IMO, the brim of the hat looks a little unnatural with too many black pixels running along it, like it was edited a little too...I can kinda see the thought that there are remnants of a couple of fingers right by his mouth, making it at least possible that the guy was cupping his hand to make his voice louder...Of course, he could've been shouting "CANCER!" or something else totally classless...

The people who think it could be fake are pointing out plausible observations, like other objects in the frame being blurry, etc...What we need to be looking for are other objects the same distance away as his hand and see if those are blurry also. If they are, it lends credence to an authentic photo; if not, the opposite becomes more plausible.

Utah fans suck. No question. Not gonna argue with that. There are plenty of classless people in every crowd, but Utah seems to have a greater number than most places in the NBA....

Not to take a stab at KStat, but Detroit isn't known for having warm and fuzzy fans either...and I'm not saying that because of being a Pacer fan....I will say the worst example is how scary it got during the brawl. Watching it live, it seemed entirely possible that several hundred people could rush the court at any moment, and someone could die. Seriously. In retrospect, I can't believe it didn't get any more serious than it did. The fans running with glee in the stands to shower the exiting Pacers players/staff with anything they could get ahold of was indicative. I may be biased, but I can't in my wildest dreams ever imagine that happening in Indy, even at a UFC or WWE fight night...

Oh, and yes, tons of Utah fans are totally classless.

ajbry
05-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I think in the real photo, he was creating a amplifier with his hand, like to yell. Which made the postition of the arm easier to not have to do anything with, also explaining the shirt.

You guys know what I mean?

His wrist is at his mouth, however. Put your arm in the same position and create the amplifier - your hand goes way too far up that way and wouldn't be an amplifier at all.

ajbry
05-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I submit that the guy was giving Fisher the finger and that the gesture was blurred out thus creating the apparent allusion that he was covering his eye. The guy IMO was still being an *******, but at least he wasn't mocking Fisher's daughter.

I've never seen someone throw the bird so close to their face. Usually you extend and bring it far away from your body, as much as possible.

I'm saying this to all the conspiracy theorists - when you describe what this fan is possibly doing - try it yourself and see how unnatural it looks. It's pretty simple this way.

duke dynamite
05-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I've never seen someone throw the bird so close to their face. Usually you extend and bring it far away from your body, as much as possible.

I'm saying this to all the conspiracy theorists - when you describe what this fan is possibly doing - try it yourself and see how unnatural it looks. It's pretty simple this way.
...and all I've been doing is analyzing the photo.

ajbry
05-18-2008, 12:46 PM
...and all I've been doing is analyzing the photo.

And...? Elaborate please, I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

JayRedd
05-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I really don't care either way, but I thought he was maybe yawning and rubbing his eye with his index knuckle. Sorta like one of these jobs: http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/966/55054416.JPG

The thing that makes it look possibly fake to be is that it looks like the blur tool was used from the back of his palm into the person's shirt behind him. The line separating those two elements has disappeared completely in a way that shouldn't happen even at that zoom level.

Or not.

ajbry
05-18-2008, 03:29 PM
You can tell by his facial expression that he wasn't just yawning. And if he was in fact rubbing his eye with his index knuckle his wrist would have to be at least a couple inches higher, otherwise he'd be rubbing his cheek and looking like even more of an idiot.

duke dynamite
05-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I love this thread.

heywoode
05-19-2008, 12:17 AM
All I know is I hope ajbry goes to work in a local Prosecutor's Office as an investigator...You are one tenacious dude!

That statement was meant to be a compliment, not a dogdown...