PDA

View Full Version : “They're going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win”

MagicRat
06-10-2004, 05:21 PM
You Pistons fans better mind your manners if you win.....or be prepared to call and apologize to Jimmy.........

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/0406/10/pistons-180037.htm

WXYZ pulls Kimmel's show

Comedian's lame fire joke draws ire of Channel 7, fans.

By Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- It all started with ABC late-night talk show host and comedian Jimmy Kimmel making a not-so-funny joke about Detroit on Tuesday's Game 2 halftime show of the NBA Finals.

One wonders if Kimmel is laughing now, since his show was temporarily pulled off the air in Metro Detroit on Wednesday evening.

Kimmel's show did not air in its customary midnight slot on Detroit's local ABC affiliate WXYZ (Channel 7). The removal could be part of the station's formal protest against the comedian. Late-night attempts to reach management at WXYZ were unsuccessful.

In place of Kimmel's show, the station ran an episode of the "Wayne Brady Show", and a crawl across the bottom of the screen saying Kimmel would not be seen. The lifting of Kimmel's show capped off a day that saw Metro Detroiters and Pistons fans light up abc.com's Internet board, the network's Los Angeles offices and local talk-radio shows with anger at Kimmel and his remark.

So what did Kimmel say to ignite this chain reaction?

“They're going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win,” Kimmel said during halftime of Game 2, using his customary snarky tone.

ABC broadcaster and Ann Arbor resident Mike Tirico objected immediately, saying, “Hey, hey, hey, be careful. That's my home state.”

Kimmel looked a bit stunned at Tirico's objections, then backtracked a bit by saying analyst Tom Tolbert's eye-popping plaid suit should instead be burned.

Grace Gilchrist, WXYZ's general manager and vice president, just happened to be in Los Angeles on Wednesday for an affiliates meeting. Andrea Parquet-Taylor, Channel 7's news director, said Gilchrist personally expressed her outrage at Kimmel's comments to ABC's brass.

Parquet-Taylor hinted that Kimmel was in for some punitive action by her station.

“We are pretty livid about the entire situation,” Parquet-Taylor said. “Grace gave them an earful. We think that there is a lot of discussion about how Jimmy Kimmel has jeopardized his right to have clearance in this community. Totally out of line. We have got probably one of the strongest audience bases in the country for him.

“An apology is not going to cut it at all. We're not going to accept that from him. He owes this community much more.”

Kimmel issued a written statement Wednesday afternoon to address the furor. He refused requests to interview him personally.

“What I said about Pistons fans during halftime last night was a joke, nothing more,” Kimmel wrote. “If it offended anyone, I am sorry.

“Clearly, over the past 10 years, we in L.A. have taken a commanding lead in post-game riots. If the Lakers win, I plan to overturn my own car.”

WDFN 1130 mid-morning host Sean Baligian fielded an hour of calls Wednesday, fueled by people outraged at Kimmel.

“It was unreal. Man, did that statement ever touch a nerve,” Baligian said. “People are mad. They're offended. I have never received such a quick reaction.”

Callers to Baligian's show were mad that Kimmel slammed Detroit without cause.

“Caller after caller, and people who were e-mailing me, were mad because what Kimmel said is simply untrue,” Baligian said. “It's not true. Detroit does not burn when teams win. It's a lie, and people are mad that somebody would say something so terrible about Detroit on national TV.

“Jimmy Kimmel is a funny cat, he doesn't need to go somewhere as lame as making a lie up about Detroit. And he wasn't even funny on top of it.”

Big business

Kimmel's not-too-bright statements went out to a big audience, as Game 2 proved to be another ratings blockbuster for ABC.

It was the No. 1 show on Tuesday, drawing a 12.3 rating and a 30 share. That rating is 68 percent higher than last year's Game 2 between the Nets and Spurs.

Detroit also did well in the ratings, with 37.6 rating and a 53 share -- meaning that 53 percent of all the TV sets turned on were watching the Pistons.

Los Angelenos might have lost a few people to chilling on the beach, posting a lower 29.7 rating and a 44 share.

Shade
06-10-2004, 05:26 PM
I watched that as he was on there. He even admitted he had nothing to do other than plug his show.

Jimmy Kimmel is a no-talent idiot. A famous one, but an idiot nonetheless, in the same vein as Tom Green. :puke:

Hicks
06-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Pretty sensitive people. People've made fun of LA for rioting, but they don't pull TV shows for making fun of it. :shrug:

Zesty
06-10-2004, 05:30 PM
“Clearly, over the past 10 years, we in L.A. have taken a commanding lead in post-game riots. If the Lakers win, I plan to overturn my own car.”

C'mon, that's pretty funny. I like Kimmel and I think people are making a big deal out of nothing here.

ChicagoJ
06-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Based on the idiots we saw in Conseco Fieldhouse last series, I just assumed he wasn't joking.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm pretty sure the jerk that was yelling at my wife after game #2 would help start the fire.

And the @$$holes that were chanting "Your Last Home Game" would form a human chain that would prevent the fire department from getting through.

I don't see what the big deal is. I guess if the truth hurts, call the radio and whine.

:unimpressed:

Ultimate Frisbee
06-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Based on the idiots we saw in Conseco Fieldhouse last series, I just assumed he wasn't joking.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm pretty sure the jerk that was yelling at my wife after game #2 would help start the fire.

And the @$$holes that were chanting "Your Last Home Game" would form a human chain that would prevent the fire department from getting through.

I don't see what the big deal is. I guess if the truth hurts, call the radio and whine.

Detroit burned the city in 1984 after they won the World Series...

SycamoreKen
06-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Another example of people being over sensitive. Maybe he wouldn't have said what he did if some idiots in Detroit didn't go burning cars after every recent championship there. Now, if the Spurs had been in the finals and he had said that about SA, then people could complain. 2 titles = 0 burned anything.

ChicagoJ
06-10-2004, 06:39 PM

Detroit burned the city in 1984 after they won the World Series...

:blush: This is what I get for opening my mouth. But when was The Finals called the 'World Series' - oh you're talking about baseball no wonder I didn't know anything about this. :rolleyes:

Arcadian
06-10-2004, 06:43 PM
If there is a riot will all of those people call and apologize to Kimmel and will an apology be enough?

Hoop
06-10-2004, 08:10 PM
:idea: I'm going to start watching the Jimmy Kimmel show for sure now. :devil:

Kstat
06-10-2004, 08:25 PM
First of all, Detroit has won 5 championships in the last 20 years following 1984. They have burned NOTHING.

The city of detroit has a somewhat unfair image, and like it or not, its a super-sensitive city because of all the people telling them what bad people they are.

I could just as easily call Indiana a state of gun-runners, toothless rednecks, racists, homeless bums and thats not even including Gary, but you people wouldn't like that, now would you :unimpressed: I believe the KKK was HUGE in Indiana recently, I guess there's no statute of limitations on stereotypes, is there? So how would you feel about Kimmel putting on a white sheet in one of his skits with an IU logo on it? I guess as Jay said, "If the truth hurts you can call and complain," right?

Kimmel was an idiot for what he said, considering his BIGGEST AUDIENCE at that time was in Detroit. Frankly I don't give a damn what ABC does to that show. I refuse to be held accountable for what the last generation did when I was 2 years old. We've had 5 championsip parades since that, and its been nothing but class. Its such a lame bit, and its a cheap shot to the people that live in Detroit now.

Shade
06-10-2004, 08:36 PM
The city of detroit has a somewhat unfair image, and like it or not, its a super-sensitive city because of all the people telling them what bad people they are.

Maybe they could help shake that image if the fans didn't act like rude jackasses.

Kstat
06-10-2004, 08:39 PM

Maybe they could help shake that image if the fans didn't act like rude jackasses.

Difference between rude and criminal. Every city has rude people.

Shade
06-10-2004, 08:45 PM

Difference between rude and criminal. Every city has rude people.

Most Pistons fans have been exceptionally rude.

Kegboy
06-10-2004, 09:27 PM
So how would you feel about Kimmel putting on a white sheet in one of his skits with an IU logo on it?

I'd say that's hilarious, but then, I'm a Purdue fan. :devil:

Last time I checked, Mike Wilbon's never been suspended for repeatedly calling Detroit "Beirut" on PTI. And I'm not saying he compares the two, he is known for just saying "Beirut" in place of "Detroit" and going from there. They commented on PTI today that he better watch his back.

The fact of the matter is, people wouldn't create such a stink if there wasn't some truth to it. And Detroit, as well as Ann Arbor and Lansing for that matter, are known for this sort of thing.

Kstat
06-10-2004, 09:34 PM
The fact of the matter is, people wouldn't create such a stink if there wasn't some truth to it. And Detroit, as well as Ann Arbor and Lansing for that matter, are known for this sort of thing.

Ann Arbor was rating the top city in the UNITED STATES in quality of living.....oh but what, the're known for this right?" :unimpressed:

Suaveness
06-10-2004, 09:41 PM

Ann Arbor was rating the top city in the UNITED STATES in quality of living.....oh but what, the're known for this right?" :unimpressed:

For what it is worth, I really like Ann Arbor...it's nice there.

Kegboy
06-10-2004, 09:51 PM

Yes, because everyone pays attention to those surveys. They're known for U of M, which has had its riots just like MSU, I'm sorry to say (most of my family are alums.) And of course, everyone knows that Mike Tirico lives in Ann Arbor (yes, I actually knew that before this, the geek that I am.)

Btw, since we're on the subject, the funniest thing I've ever seen was the "riots" in West Lafayette when the Purdue women won the NCAA's. God, that was embarrasing, considering I guarantee none of them had ever been to a women's game in their lives. Idiots.

TheSauceMaster
06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
awe the poor pistons fans can't take a joke :unimpressed:

Eindar
06-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I could just as easily call Indiana a state of gun-runners, toothless rednecks, racists, homeless bums and thats not even including Gary, but you people wouldn't like that, now would you :unimpressed: I believe the KKK was HUGE in Indiana recently, I guess there's no statute of limitations on stereotypes, is there? So how would you feel about Kimmel putting on a white sheet in one of his skits with an IU logo on it? I guess as Jay said, "If the truth hurts you can call and complain," right?

That's the point. We HAVE been called all those things, from racists to hicks, to corn-fed yokels. In the New York vs. Pacers rivalry days, the New York news (and the national media, I might add) labeled the series "Hicks vs. Knicks".

The difference is we don't go around crying about it like a little girl with a skinned knee. For being a city full of ********, you sure have thin skin and a skewed notion of sensibilities.

The Kimmel bit was not only funny, but was in fact very likely to come true if the Pistons win the title.

Kstat
06-10-2004, 10:33 PM

That's the point. We HAVE been called all those things, from racists to hicks, to corn-fed yokels. In the New York vs. Pacers rivalry days, the New York news (and the national media, I might add) labeled the series "Hicks vs. Knicks".

The difference is we don't go around crying about it like a little girl with a skinned knee. For being a city full of ********, you sure have thin skin and a skewed notion of sensibilities.

The Kimmel bit was not only funny, but was in fact very likely to come true if the Pistons win the title.

You mean like Detroit in 1989? How about 1990? Perhaps 1997, 1998 or 2002 there were some riots I didn't know about. Or perhaps you're just spouting off about somthing you know NOTHING about. Wouldn't surprise me....

"Hicks" is hardly offensive........... :unimpressed: comparing that to this is just as ignorant.

Stryder
06-10-2004, 10:38 PM
I find it funny that so many people in this country think that we have the freedom to NOT be offended.

Big *****in' deal.

People need to get over themselves and be less damn sensitive.

As for an opinion on the subject, all I can go on is personal preference having lived in both Detroit and Indianapolis.

Bball
06-10-2004, 11:48 PM
First of all, Detroit has won 5 championships in the last 20 years following 1984. They have burned NOTHING.

Kimmel was an idiot for what he said, considering his BIGGEST AUDIENCE at that time was in Detroit. Frankly I don't give a damn what ABC does to that show. I refuse to be held accountable for what the last generation did when I was 2 years old. We've had 5 championsip parades since that, and its been nothing but class. Its such a lame bit, and its a cheap shot to the people that live in Detroit now.

That's all well and good except when Detroit wins this series there will be rioting. I think you can count on both of those things.

-Bball

sweabs
06-11-2004, 12:12 AM
awe the poor pistons fans can't take a joke :unimpressed:

THANK YOU.

Wow - that was nothing...citizens of Detroit need to calm down about it.

I can't tell you how many times I'm watching any American sitcom, comedian, late night show, TV show in general THAT MAKES FUN OF CANADIANS AS A JOKE.

That is what the people need to remember...it is a joke. I'm sure a lot of you have seen television shows that stereotype Canadians as these "hockey fanatical, donut eating, live in igloos, winter 24/7, curling, uneducated lumberjacks" - when it is nothing like that obviously. But we realize they are JOKES.

One show that sticks out in my mind is The Simpsons. 2 quick examples off the top of my head:

1) The Simpsons move to a new town for Homer's new job...Bart is placed in the remedial class where he is met by a Canadian who says "I'm from Canada eh? People say I'm slow eh?".
2) The Simpsons take a trip to Toronto. Bart and Milhouse are trying out for our national basketball team and Bart throws up a brick and one of the Canadians says something among the lines of "Wow - that almost went in! You can be our new centre eh?" As Bart replies "You see Milhouse? It's just that easy to make the Canadian Olympic Basketball Team."

These are just 2 real quick examples off the top of my head because I find them pretty damn funny.

THESE ARE JOKES. THESE PEOPLE MAKE A LIVING OFF OF COMEDY...go to a comedy club and you will see a lot of jokes are based on stereotypes.

Detroit needs to chill. :cool:

sweabs
06-11-2004, 12:54 AM
its amazing how sensitive people are - i cant believe people got upset about that remark. amazing.

Yeah no kidding.

I was watching the Detroit station I get here, and their newscast was practically crying about it. The women were like "Ahhh - fine then we don't like him anyway! We aren't going to watch his show - we can do without him!"

Please - it was nothing. People today... :mad:

Fool
06-11-2004, 01:37 AM

Thats right, you just cry because opposing team's fans come into your own arena and drowned you out.

Why is anybody here trying to add their two sense on this? You just got done crying because people didn't like how much a hick ignorant Larry Bird was. Stay out of what you don't know or face up to the truth about yourself while you criticize everyone else. Maybe if just one of your fans had any balls at all you wouldn't have had to watch a hundred or so Piston fans rub your loss in your face. Oh, but thats right, what were all the thousands of you supposed to do? Stick up for yourselves? Thats all we did here. Someone bagged on our city and we responded instead of coming onto a message board and whinning. And look what happened, we got results. The guy who made the comments got pulled off the air.

Why do you even care? Kimmel's show is crap. I would assume that all you "everyone but Indiana is rude" people wouldn't even dignify Kimmel's show with your viewership. So I say again, WHAT DO YOU CARE?

Hicks
06-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Fool, not everyone agrees that what Larry said was awful or wrong.

Eindar
06-11-2004, 01:46 AM

You mean like Detroit in 1989? How about 1990? Perhaps 1997, 1998 or 2002 there were some riots I didn't know about. Or perhaps you're just spouting off about somthing you know NOTHING about. Wouldn't surprise me....

"Hicks" is hardly offensive........... :unimpressed: comparing that to this is just as ignorant.

So if it never happens on the wonderful, golden-paved streets of Michigan, then why even worry about it? Because the truth is, Michigan has a reputation for bad behavior, and also for setting cars on fire (NCAA champs).

It's really a matter of psychology that now tells me that in fact, there will be riots in Detroit if the Pistons win.

The same sort of joke could be made here in Indiana, because we're ravenous about basketball, and we've never won an NBA championship. However, if Jimmy Kimmel says, "man, Indianapolis is going to burn to the ground if the Pacers win the title" I'd laugh, and I would sarcastically say to the T.V., "You bet your ***, Jimmy. I've got my gallon can of gas ready to go down to Market St.!" The reason I can joke about it is because I don't think it would happen, or at least, not very likely. The same mental device that allows me to joke about it is the same thing that makes it such a taboo subject for people from Detroit. They know that the citizens of Detroit can and probably will riot if the Pistons win a championship, so it hits close to home, and they get upset. Anger isn't bred from honesty unless that honesty is met with embarassment or humiliation on the other end. That's why people from Detroit are upset. Because they know he's right.

As to the other, you should look up the definition of the word 'Hick' in the dictionary...wait, I'll do it for you

hick

adj 1: (informal) rural and uncouth; "hick ideas" 2: awkwardly simple and provincial; "bumpkinly country boys"; "rustic farmers"; "a hick town"; "the nightlife of Montmartre awed the unsophisticated tourists" [syn] n : not very intelligent or interested in culture [syn]

Ya, so being called ignorant, stupid, and backwards is far better than being called violent. :unimpressed:

Hoop
06-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Ya, so being called ignorant, stupid, and backwards is far better than being called violent. :unimpressed:

Who are you calling violent? Damn you, I'll kick your ***, kill you and then set you on fire. Don't ever call me violent again MFer. :devil: :laugh:

I was just joking, in case anyone was offended. :D

Bball
06-11-2004, 02:00 AM

So if it never happens on the wonderful, golden-paved streets of Michigan, then why even worry about it? Because the truth is, Michigan has a reputation for bad behavior, and also for setting cars on fire (NCAA champs).

It's really a matter of psychology that now tells me that in fact, there will be riots in Detroit if the Pistons win.

The same sort of joke could be made here in Indiana, because we're ravenous about basketball, and we've never won an NBA championship. However, if Jimmy Kimmel says, "man, Indianapolis is going to burn to the ground if the Pacers win the title" I'd laugh, and I would sarcastically say to the T.V., "You bet your ***, Jimmy. I've got my gallon can of gas ready to go down to Market St.!" The reason I can joke about it is because I don't think it would happen, or at least, not very likely. The same mental device that allows me to joke about it is the same thing that makes it such a taboo subject for people from Detroit. They know that the citizens of Detroit can and probably will riot if the Pistons win a championship, so it hits close to home, and they get upset. Anger isn't bred from honesty unless that honesty is met with embarassment or humiliation on the other end. That's why people from Detroit are upset. Because they know he's right.

As to the other, you should look up the definition of the word 'Hick' in the dictionary...wait, I'll do it for you

hick

adj 1: (informal) rural and uncouth; "hick ideas" 2: awkwardly simple and provincial; "bumpkinly country boys"; "rustic farmers"; "a hick town"; "the nightlife of Montmartre awed the unsophisticated tourists" [syn] n : not very intelligent or interested in culture [syn]

I pretty much agree with you Eindar but I am worried you are going to give Hicks a complex! :P

-Bball

Eindar
06-11-2004, 02:56 AM

hick

I pretty much agree with you Eindar but I am worried you are going to give Hicks a complex! :P

-Bball

That had crossed my mind, but I thought the risk was worth the reward, much like the Dale Davis - JO trade....

Unfortunately, also like the Antonio Davis - Bender trade....

Hicks
06-11-2004, 03:47 AM
:cry:

:D

geetee
06-11-2004, 04:19 AM
Kimmel probably did Detroit a favor. After hearing what he said, the rowdy fans of Detroit might just step up and try to prove him wrong. :angel:

BillS
06-11-2004, 08:46 AM
See, the reason that Detroit did what they did after the World Series way back then is because they were practicing for Halloween.

Everyone knows that June is too early to burn the city down. Sheesh.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 09:17 AM
It was a joke - plain and simple.

Comedians tell them all the time, and a lot of times they involve stereotypes.

So, Detroit needs to quit crying and take it like the "tough" people we keep hearing about from Fool.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Maybe if just one of your fans had any balls at all you wouldn't have had to watch a hundred or so Piston fans rub your loss in your face. Oh, but thats right, what were all the thousands of you supposed to do? Stick up for yourselves? Thats all we did here. Someone bagged on our city and we responded instead of coming onto a message board and whinning. And look what happened, we got results. The guy who made the comments got pulled off the air.

And I suppose spitting on one of the all-time great players is a way of sticking up for your team too?
Wow - the Pistons fans continue to amaze me :unimpressed:

Fool
06-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Spitting? I'm not catching the reference here.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Spitting? I'm not catching the reference here.

Fan on courtside spitting on Karl Malone and then initiating contact with him :rolleyes:

Fool
06-11-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry, I assumed the comment was about something I had refered to. Thats clearly inapropriate behavior. Karl Malone gets little to no respect around here (Detroit) after what he did to Zeke and what he has continued to do to other players (all smaller than him).

sweabs
06-11-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm sorry, I assumed the comment was about something I had refered to. Thats clearly inapropriate behavior. Karl Malone gets little to no respect around here (Detroit) after what he did to Zeke and what he has continued to do to other players (all smaller than him).

Well at least you acknowledge that it was inappropriate.
But then citizens of Detroit wonder why they get jokes thrown at them like what Kimmel said :rolleyes: - key word JOKE.

Fool
06-11-2004, 10:10 AM
key word JOKE.

Yeah, I've seen you say this a great many times. As for your other statements ... plenty of other cities have worse fans than Detroit (battery throwers, fans who beat up refs or umps, fans who brawl and kill each other) but their fans get made fun of not their city.

I understand its a joke, but its a joke we (Detroiters) hear all the time. So sometimes when we hear it on a national scale we get upset. Say what you will about getting over it, we would gladly if the world would as well.

Thats really the last I have to say on this subject.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 10:13 AM
key word JOKE.

Yeah, I've seen you say this a great many times. As for your other statements ... plenty of other cities have worse fans than Detroit (battery throwers, fans who beat up refs or umps, fans who brawl and kill each other) but their fans get made fun of not their city.

I understand its a joke, but its a joke we (Detroiters) hear all the time. So sometimes when we hear it on a national scale we get upset. Say what you will about getting over it, we would gladly if the world would as well.

Thats really the last I have to say on this subject.

Wow - well if the Detroit citizens think that is bad...tell them they wouldn't make it being a Canadian citizen or they'd be crying 24/7!

sc
06-11-2004, 10:26 AM
It is good to see racism is alive and well in the America.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 10:40 AM

Racism :confused:

ChicagoJ
06-11-2004, 10:53 AM

Yeah, but first you've (collectively) got to take some responsibility. It isn't the world's fault that, because of your history, that you're extra-sensitive to this joke. First, you've got to prove that you can take a joke. Second, when 2000 people show up in someone else's arena and misbehave, as one example, the rest of the world isn't going to feel sorry for you when you are the butt of someone's joke.

As long as your people keep promoting this stereotype, the comments and jokes will continue. Just like we have to endure the racial stereotypes everytime 'one of our own' makes ill-advised comments, or puts on a hood and marches to the county courthouse. But a major difference is that many of us will 'rebuke' or 'condemn' our fellow Hoosiers when they embarass us. Look back at how many of the Detroit trolls that were on here during the ECF condoned or tried to justify the thuggish behavior demonstrated by all the Detroit people that make the trip to Indianapolis. Remember, the consensus was that what happened to us was our fault for being polite.

Generally, we Hoosiers have collectively laughed at the whole Knicks v. Hicks thing, for example. There's no denying that agriculture and rural life are central to Indiana's national reputation, even if that is only a small portion of today's Indiana. (Just like there is no denying that violence and thuggery are an important part of Detroit's history, reputation, culture - perhaps not as important as the automobile or all your strip clubs on Eight Mile, but important nonetheless.)

But we collectively have learned to laugh at 'Hicks' jokes. During those battles with the Knicks, people drove thier old tractors to MSA. During occasional timeouts, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" and square dance music would be played over the PA system. You want to prove you've got a sense of humor? Play "Burning Down the House" during a timeount near the end of game #5.

When you can prove that you (collectively) are mature enough to take a joke, then the world will move on to somebody else. Everybody likes an easy target, and you keep making yourselves an easy, unsympathetic target.

grace
06-11-2004, 12:17 PM
See, the reason that Detroit did what they did after the World Series way back then is because they were practicing for Halloween.

Everyone knows that June is too early to burn the city down. Sheesh.

So that's why they didn't riot during the blackout last year.

Hicks
06-11-2004, 12:28 PM

Racism :confused:

I'll second that :confused: Unless Detroit is 100% one race, don't know where you're going with this. And actually even if they were, that wouldn't necissarily make it racist either, he said the city, not a specific ethnicity.

Hicks
06-11-2004, 12:31 PM

Yeah, but first you've (collectively) got to take some responsibility. It isn't the world's fault that, because of your history, that you're extra-sensitive to this joke. First, you've got to prove that you can take a joke. Second, when 2000 people show up in someone else's arena and misbehave, as one example, the rest of the world isn't going to feel sorry for you when you are the butt of someone's joke.

As long as your people keep promoting this stereotype, the comments and jokes will continue. Just like we have to endure the racial stereotypes everytime 'one of our own' makes ill-advised comments, or puts on a hood and marches to the county courthouse. But a major difference is that many of us will 'rebuke' or 'condemn' our fellow Hoosiers when they embarass us. Look back at how many of the Detroit trolls that were on here during the ECF condoned or tried to justify the thuggish behavior demonstrated by all the Detroit people that make the trip to Indianapolis. Remember, the consensus was that what happened to us was our fault for being polite.

Generally, we Hoosiers have collectively laughed at the whole Knicks v. Hicks thing, for example. There's no denying that agriculture and rural life are central to Indiana's national reputation, even if that is only a small portion of today's Indiana. (Just like there is no denying that violence and thuggery are an important part of Detroit's history, reputation, culture - perhaps not as important as the automobile or all your strip clubs on Eight Mile, but important nonetheless.)

But we collectively have learned to laugh at 'Hicks' jokes. During those battles with the Knicks, people drove thier old tractors to MSA. During occasional timeouts, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" and square dance music would be played over the PA system. You want to prove you've got a sense of humor? Play "Burning Down the House" during a timeount near the end of game #5.

When you can prove that you (collectively) are mature enough to take a joke, then the world will move on to somebody else. Everybody likes an easy target, and you keep making yourselves an easy, unsympathetic target.

Wow. Very well said Jay.

Stryder
06-11-2004, 12:51 PM

Racism? Where in this thread?

What a joke.

Fool
06-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Wow. Very well said Jay.

I thought I was done but I wanted to respond.

Look, this is one time where you happened to also hear the joke and we actually responded, which you saw too. There are tens to hundreds of other times where the joke is made and those who hear it do just cast it off. Secondly, I have no problem with the reaction as those of "us" (Detroiters) who did react, did so in the right way. They didn't go out and threaten Kimmel or something, they made their calls of protest and got results. The fact is, a late show hack did it in the middle of an event where a lot of Detroiters were pumped and anticipating a tense and exciting second half and so they didn't take it well (not to mention they were probably being driven mad by the clear stint of the telecast).

As for collectively showing that one can take a joke, I don't know if you can actually do such a thing. But I guess it can be done because you've declaired that the great state of Indiana has done it. Great, maybe you can hold a seminar for the rest of us. Consider this your pat on the back.

"But we collectively have learned to laugh at 'Hicks' jokes. During those battles with the Knicks, people drove thier old tractors to MSA. During occasional timeouts, "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" and square dance music would be played over the PA system. You want to prove you've got a sense of humor? Play "Burning Down the House" during a timeount near the end of game #5."

Thats not learning to laugh at the jokes, thats embracing the things that the jokes are about. You don't have people ride around the stadium at half time in white sheets because you don't want to embrace that part of the joke (as you shouldn't), just as we don't tear up the Palace to embrace what the jokes are about us.

And as far as how you don't cry about the jokes being made about you. Of course you do, there just isn't a national story about it this week.

"Second, when 2000 people show up in someone else's arena and misbehave," As REM said, "Everybody cries".

MarionDeputy
06-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Pretty sensitive people. People've made fun of LA for rioting, but they don't pull TV shows for making fun of it. :shrug:

I was born in Detroit, although I moved at a fairly young age, Kstat correct me if i'm wrong here. But I think the issue that Detroiters relate the remarks to were the race riots back in the late 60s early 70s not the fact of winning a championship. The city did burn then, and a lot of innocent people both black and white were killed, injured and had their homes burned. It still is a very sensitive subject for those who still live there, my parents told me of stories where they could see flames, and smell the smoke only blocks from where they lived at the time. There was actually an HBO special on recently, when the Tigers won the world series back then it really helped race relations and brought the city together. I think the one thing that Detroiters take pride is in support of their pro-teams - I for one have never scene a more rabid fan base in any city.

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 02:07 PM
http://www.gfsnet.org/msweb/sixties/roits_in_detriot.htm

http://www.ghgcorp.com/hollaway/civil/civil47.htm

MarionDeputy
06-11-2004, 02:16 PM
http://www.gfsnet.org/msweb/sixties/roits_in_detriot.htm

http://www.ghgcorp.com/hollaway/civil/civil47.htm

Thanks for the link, I don't know for a fact but I have heard it was the worst riot ever in the US. If you ever go to Detroit and ask someone black or white, who lived there about it you will see how sensitive they are about it.

Stryder
06-11-2004, 02:21 PM
In the end, if you cannot take a joke, then you need to die.

There ya go.

:devil: :dance: :pepper: :finger: :bs: :censor:

Bball
06-11-2004, 03:02 PM
i heard that 200 pistons fans went to the lakers hotel the night before the game and honked their horns and made noise all night trying to keep them up so they wouldn't get any sleep - now that rocks!

I'm surprised they didn't burn it down! :P
;)

J/K

Bball :D

TheSauceMaster
06-11-2004, 03:09 PM
i heard that 200 pistons fans went to the lakers hotel the night before the game and honked their horns and made noise all night trying to keep them up so they wouldn't get any sleep - now that rocks!

Police made them leave and closed down the Street , and they were actually acrossed the street at a Parking garage , police had them cleared out by 11 pm , so I don't think that hurt there sleep

Fool
06-11-2004, 03:35 PM

I'm surprised they didn't burn it down! :P
;)

J/K

Bball :D

See, now THATS a good joke!

On the L.A. radio station 1150am (which I listen to through the internet) Kobe said that he hadn't heard them but that Shaq told him they had disturbed him. I'm assuming that means that he heard them and not that they woke him up or really caused him a problem.

sc
06-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Detroit is +92% African American.
The Metro-Detroit is one of the most segragrated areas in the US.

Why is it racist, well everything appears fine when hiding behind white priviledge. No one mentions the riots of the Bulls/Lakers/Dodgers/Denver/ETC. Only Detroit, why is that. Is it becuase the City of Detroit to many is known only as a crime infested black mecca. Becuase shameful that is what many people refer to it.

No said **** I hope LA doesn't win becuase they might burn the city again. Or please no more Bulls championship becuase we can not afford to replace the 139 police cars.

It is simple. It is easy to pick on the minority and that is what was done here.

According to Jimmy only Detroit can burn becuase it is black and only blacks do such stupid things.

Hicks
06-11-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't buy it. I never once thought about race during this thread until you brought it up. And I doubt Kimmel did either.

sweabs
06-11-2004, 04:50 PM

You may be right - but could you show me where you got that from?

Bball
06-11-2004, 05:00 PM

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2003/cb03ff01.html

85-Percentage of Gary, Ind., residents who say they are African-American. Among cities with 100,000 or more residents, Gary edges out Detroit (83 percent) in this category. http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2001/cb01cn176.html

That info is a little old but would seem in line with what sc is saying.

-Bball

sweabs
06-11-2004, 05:30 PM

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2003/cb03ff01.html

85-Percentage of Gary, Ind., residents who say they are African-American. Among cities with 100,000 or more residents, Gary edges out Detroit (83 percent) in this category. http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2001/cb01cn176.html

That info is a little old but would seem in line with what sc is saying.

-Bball

Thanks - I had no idea. But realistically, this has nothing to do with race.