PDA

View Full Version : Conan O'Brien's Successor Found

duke dynamite
05-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Jimmy Fallon will be in O'Brien's chair

Inks deal with NBC for 'Late Night'

By Nellie Andreeva and Kimberly Nordyke
April 24, 2008, 04:07 PM
<TABLE class=news_col cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>
UPDATED 6:16 p.m PT April 24, 2008

After months of speculation, Jimmy Fallon has sealed a deal to succeed "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien on NBC in 2009, sources said.

O'Brien, whose show airs at 12:35 a.m., is moving into the 11:35 p.m. slot next year after "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno's retirement, which was announced in 2004.

NBC is expected to make the announcement May 12 during its upfront event in New York.

The deal gives Fallon and "Late Night" executive producer Lorne Michaels enough time to assemble a team and prepare for Fallon's takeover after O'Brien's departure, expected in January.

It is not clear whether "Late Night" with Fallon will stay at Studio 6A at New York's 30 Rock, but it is probable as O'Brien will be moving to the new "Tonight Show" home at Universal Studios' Stage One.

NBC declined comment Thursday.

Fallon's new gig as "Late Night" host stems from a development deal he inked with NBC in early 2007.

The move further cements NBC's late-night transition that also is making Leno a highly sought-after free agent, with ABC and Fox reportedly already circling the top-rated late-night host. Meanwhile, NBC Universal is trying to keep him in the company fold with a new show.

For the second time, "Saturday Night Live" chief Michaels -- whose company Broadway Video co-produces "Late Night" with Universal Media Studios -- has gone with an "SNL" alum to front the late-night talker. In 1993, Michaels tapped former "SNL" writer O'Brien as the inaugural host.

Fallon has more onscreen experience, having co-starred on "SNL" and co-hosted its "Weekend Update" segment. He also toplined several features, including the comedies "Fever Pitch" and "Taxi."

Additionally, Fallon, repped by CAA and Management 360, served as a guest host for CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman" in 2003.
<!--endclickprintinclude-->

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i893a6fe1c07f68041bf50672f9efbc66

I've always like Jimmy. I guess now he has a legitimate reason to look into the camera and laugh.

N8R
05-13-2008, 03:40 AM
That will be interesting. I just want to see more of Conan

rexnom
05-13-2008, 04:10 AM
Kind of a high profile hire. Impressive.

duke dynamite
05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Well, the cool thing is that Conan will be on earlier. Then I will be more inclined to watch.

Major Cold
05-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I like Kimmel better than O'Brien lately.

travmil
05-13-2008, 03:39 PM
The only reservation I have is the suck factor attached to 99% of Fallon's non SNL work. I hope he doesn't kill the show.

Stigmata
05-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I think it's going to be rather unwatchable. I don't know how long I can watch Jimmy Fallon giggle his way through his show every weeknight.

Hicks
05-13-2008, 07:16 PM
He was really awkward last night just being interviewed by Conan. The reason being he was admittedly very nervous. I think it'll start bad, but as he calms down it will get better.

pwee31
05-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Jimmy fallon is terrible... that is all

ilive4sports
05-14-2008, 12:29 AM
This won't be good IMO. Conan is hilarious and they are replacing him with Jimmy Fallon? The star in the worst era of SNL? I dont think he is the type of guy for late night tv.

I guess it could be worse, they could have given it to Carson Daily.

JayRedd
05-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow. What an stunningly horrible idea.

duke dynamite
05-14-2008, 12:55 AM
This won't be good IMO. Conan is hilarious and they are replacing him with Jimmy Fallon? The star in the worst era of SNL? I dont think he is the type of guy for late night tv.

I guess it could be worse, they could have given it to Carson Daily.
It's not like they are getting rid of Conan. He is taking Leno's spot. Same Conan, different time.

Hicks
05-14-2008, 01:34 AM
There's a worse era of SNL than the current era?

Hicks
05-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Wow. What an stunningly horrible idea.

Not that I'm a big Jimmy Fallon fan or anything, but wouldn't most people be saying the same thing if it was some obscure writer from SNL? Like...... Conan O'Brien circa 1993?

duke dynamite
05-14-2008, 01:47 AM
I had a comment today about how Jimmy was only good with Tina Fey with him.

He was basically referring to Weekend Update.

I really like Tina Fey as a writer. I like 30 Rock and some of the old Fallon skits on SNL.

Fever Pitch is one of my favorite movies, for one he is my Red Sox counterpart since all my stuff is Pacers, yada yada yada.

I really think if Jimmy gets some of Conan's writers he will do just fine.

Can't wait.

JayRedd
05-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Taxi. Fever Pitch. I've heard enough.

Lord Helmet
05-14-2008, 01:51 AM
I don't think he'll be too bad.

I'm more worried about how toned down they will make Conan be for The Tonight Show.....

idioteque
05-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Jimmy Fallon is just boring.

Brian
05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I hate jimmy fallon,he was a major douche when he hosted the mtv awards.He was acting like a little girl when guns n roses performed.

LoneGranger33
05-14-2008, 08:35 PM
The torment continues...

ajbry
05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Fever Pitch is one of my favorite movies

Why?!?

Second line.

Doddage
05-15-2008, 02:21 AM
They should have just slid Carson Daly to Conan's spot and given Fallon Carson's current gig. Would have made more sense that way, as it's kind of hasty to give Fallon that spot without any sort of late-night show experience.

Hicks
05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I can't stand Carson Daly, so I'm happy he's not getting it.

duke dynamite
05-16-2008, 05:03 AM
Why?!?

Second line.
Why not?

I have a thing for baseball movies.

Doddage
05-16-2008, 05:33 AM
I can't stand Carson Daly, so I'm happy he's not getting it.
He's actually not that bad, you just have to get that "late-90s MTV" image out of your head to appreciate him.

clownskull
05-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Jimmy fallon is terrible... that is all

I would agree but, fallon is worse than that...... can't stand him - never could.

avoidingtheclowns
05-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Late Night With Jimmy
Brian Braiker
NEWSWEEK
Updated: 1:44 PM ET May 17, 2008

Last Week NBC Announced—as if we didn't know already—that Jimmy Fallon will succeed Conan O'Brien as host of "Late Night" when O'Brien kicks Jay Leno out of "The Tonight Show" next year. Fallon spoke to Brian Braiker:

Do you prefer Conan with the beard or without?
I liked Beardo Conan.

Are you tapping him for help?
Completely. I'm going to stalk him. Just sit in the crowd for as many shows as I can.

Are you prepared for a backlash?
I know I'm going to get hit. You can't please everybody and you shouldn't try to. There's people on the Internet who don't like Gandhi.

Who's your favorite latenight host?
Jack Paar, Jack Benny. I'm taking notes from everyone I can. I didn't realize how much I like Steve Allen. Letterman got a lot from him. He would lay in a bowl and have them make a banana split with him in the bowl; Letterman had the suit with all the Alka-Seltzer on it and jumped into the water.

Will you still do movies?
I don't want to do movies anymore, to be honest. I want to be able to have a life as well, but I don't think I will. I was talking to somebody and he said, "If you're really good at this job, you do it till you die." It's kind of like the pope: that last pope, it was like "Weekend at Bernie's."

You're back doing stand-up now.
It's not funny yet. I'm working on material and it's really hard. Right now I've got half an hour and I've got two songs. Each song is 10 minutes each. I really have 10 minutes of stand-up. Pretty sad. But it's fun to see the club owners I haven't seen in 10 years.

You're a newlywed. How's married life?
It's a cool thing. I'm wearing a ring now. I'm into jewelry. I'm gonna get into medallions. Eventually I'm, like, the Liberace of comedy.

Any kids on the horizon?
I was thinking of naming my kid Doctor if I have one. Doctor Fallon. Then whatever he does, he's set.

If I ever write a book, I'm going to call it "New York Times Best Seller."
Or "Oprah's Book of the Month." We should trademark that.

Tracy Morgan said it bugged him and other "Saturday Night Live" members when you broke character and laughed midsketch. Was there tension at all on the set?
No, I don't remember that at all. I don't think he really meant that. There was no tension at all. I was in really good years. I had good people around me: Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Molly Shannon. They were all really nice people.

NEWSWEEK Q&A (http://www.newsweek.com/id/137531)

avoidingtheclowns
05-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Will you still do movies?
I don't want to do movies anymore, to be honest.

believe me when i say this jimmy, we're all fine with that. really.