PDA

View Full Version : Pacers pick up Grahamís option

ECKrueger
05-12-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/graham_option_080512.html

The Indiana Pacers announced Monday they have picked up the option on 6-6 forward Stephen Graham’s contract. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.
Graham, signed as a free agent in July of 2007, played in 22 games for the Pacers last season, averaging 4.0 points per game while shooting .586 from the floor and scoring a career-high 16 points at Toronto, Feb. 29.

“Stephen is an exceptional individual on and off the court,” said Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird. “He has a great work ethic and over the course of last season, we saw major improvement from last summer. If he continues to improve like that, he’ll play a major role for this team. He is exactly the type of player we want on our team.”

“I’d like to thank the Pacers organization for seeing my potential and giving me the opportunity to come back next year to show my intensity and professionalism,” said Graham, a three-year veteran. “I’m going to work extremely hard this summer. This is going to be a big year for me. I’m looking forward to getting better and expanding on what I can contribute to the Pacers.”

I, for one, am very happy.

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Meh.

Major Cold
05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Who wrote that article and :link:

Speed
05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Good, I like him, he seems to play hard and was always ready. Very good athlete and even though he's under height, he's strong like bull. Seems like a team first guy.

Major Cold
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
If he can become a lock down defender he might crack the rotation.

Jonathan
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
GREAT For Graham.
I like the signing. We get a player that knows O'B's system, no trouble, and does not put us over the luxury cap. I hope he works on his defense over the summer and becomes the NBA's most improved player next year.

Speed
05-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Does this impact if you resign Rush or Flip?

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
GREAT For Graham.
I like the signing. We get a player that knows O'B's system, no trouble, and does not put us over the luxury cap. I hope he works on his defense over the summer and becomes the NBA's most improved player next year.

How about Graham just works on actually becoming a consistent part of the rotation first? Hopefully Graham finds himself in street clothes more often than not otherwise this team isn't going anywhere.

Jonathan
05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Does this impact if you resign Rush or Flip?

No, it does not. The deciding factor is signing Rush & Flip would be the draft. Graham was not taking their minutes last year.

Robertmto
05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
There went wasted luxury taxable money

Doug
05-12-2008, 04:27 PM
This is exciting?
Fringe player gets extended?
Inconsequential

Kegboy
05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
:eyebrow2:

Stanko's Russian Diner 2: The Graham Option

Jonathan
05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
How about Graham just works on actually becoming a consistent part of the rotation first? Hopefully Graham finds himself in street clothes more often than not otherwise this team isn't going anywhere.

Why would you not hope for a player like Stephen Graham to become the most improved player in the NBA next year. Everybody puts a lot of stock into improve this team via the draft but I would love nothing more for Stephen Graham to become an everyday player for the Pacers. The guy is very exciting to watch. He puts points up in bunches but his defense lacks.

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Why would you not hope for a player like Stephen Graham to become the most improved player in the NBA next year. Everybody puts a lot of stock into improve this team via the draft but I would love nothing more for Stephen Graham to become an everyday player for the Pacers. The guy is very exciting to watch. He puts points up in bunches but his defense lacks.

I can HOPE that Danny Granger is gonna be first team all NBA next season still doesn't change the fact that there is about a 2% chance of that actually happening.

You want a guy that played in 22 games to suddenly play well enough to be the MIP of the NBA. Its a pipe dream.

Hicks
05-12-2008, 04:55 PM
I think it's wise to keep him. I could see him being a rotation player next season either by improving enough to warrant it in training camp, or by stepping up during an injury to another player and never giving the spot back up.

clownskull
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM
This is exciting?
Fringe player gets extended?
Inconsequential

ha ha !! this is pretty funny and totally true!
this guy isn't going to do much but be some kind of insurance in case everyone gets sick or injured which in the latter case is disturbingly likely.

Will Galen
05-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I like this! One for Larry!

See I can count.

idioteque
05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Graham is alright. He at least played with some emotion when he got in there. I don't see a better option at 10th man or whatever. I'd like to see him get some more minutes as a consistent rotational player and see what happens.

Graham Mernatsi
05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
:woohoo:

Lap of luxury, here I come!

:woohoo:

DgR
05-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Did Graham get any playing time this season when the game's outcome wasn't decided already? Not being sarcastic.

MyFavMartin
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I think it's wise to keep him. I could see him being a rotation player next season either by improving enough to warrant it in training camp, or by stepping up during an injury to another player and never giving the spot back up.

ditto.

i see him getting Rush's minutes after Kareem leaves for greener pastures... a place like cleveland...

FinPacers
05-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, at least Graham is going to set good example for everybory in the team by working hard and behaving decently. I am just questioning his talent level. Hopefully he is truely improving during the off-season.

NuffSaid
05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/graham_option_080512.html

I, for one, am very happy.
Mark me as fan #2 who's very happy to see this guy return. Graham got caught in a log-jam at the 2-Guard behind Dunleavy (who started at the 2-Guard and switched at JOB's discretion between the 2 and 3), Granger (who as the season went on began to play more at the 2 than the 3), Rush, and Daniels. You could even squeeze Shawne Williams in there, but I think he played more at the 3 than the 2. Now, anyone who thinks Graham's play was "inconsequential" just hasn't paid close enough attention to this guy's game.

Graham was very productive when given opportunities. He's a very efficient scorer, has a very good shooting touch, has a quick release and has shown he can score from pretty much anywhere on the court. Moreover, this guy has "ups"!! And he's fast!!! Trust me, you want this guy on this team. Picking up his option will impact Rush's future w/the Pacers and probably Daniels as well.

jeffg-body
05-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Good for Stephen Graham, he was one of the guys that should have played more this year and maybe he will get that opportunity next year if we can trade a wing player for a true PG.

SoupIsGood
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Best thing about this signing was the haiku.

NuffSaid
05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Did Graham get any playing time this season when the game's outcome wasn't decided already? Not being sarcastic.
C'mon, guy. Obviously, JOB put him in mostly during garbage time, but that doesn't mean he didn't deserve to be part of the regular rotation. I've kept my eye on this guy and he's better than most Pacer fans think.

When given sufficient playing time, Graham usually produces. Graham just got caught in the numbers crunch. There were just one too many "veteran" SG's ahead of him. JOB is a traditional coach who seldom will give considerable minutes to a non-veteran player. Graham just had to wait his turn and it looks like the wait may soon be over for him.

Sidenote: The game that should have opened most fan's eyes occurred on January 19th, Pacers/Kings, where Graham scored 15 pts in 18 minutes off the bench. The other was on February 29th against the Raptors where he and his twin brother both played. Stephen Graham scored 16 pts in 21 minutes that night. (It was fun to watch both brothers get to play that night.) Those who still doubt just wait and see...this guy will come through for the Pacers next year and surprise alot of people.

Anthem
05-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Graham got caught in a log-jam at the 2-Guard behind Dunleavy (who started at the 2-Guard and switched at JOB's discretion between the 2 and 3), Granger (who as the season went on began to play more at the 2 than the 3), Rush, and Daniels.
Really? I thought he played pretty much exclusively at 3. I know hypothetically those positions are identical under JOB, but it seems he usually played with a K.Rush-type player, not at the expense of one.

Anthem
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Really? I thought he played pretty much exclusively at 3. I know hypothetically those positions are identical under JOB, but it seems he usually played with a K.Rush-type player, not at the expense of one.
82games agrees with me.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07IND7B.HTM

NuffSaid
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Nope. Graham's listed as a Guard. I'm sure JOB has used him at the 3 on occassion, but he generally plays at the 2-Guard. If you review the play-by-play for the Jan. 19th and Feb. 29th games, for example, you'll notice that Graham substituted for Rush.

Speed
05-13-2008, 10:36 AM
I like him as a physical 2 guard defender in spurts. I love for him to come in and bump around some of these frail 2 guards in the league. Not cheap shot them mind you, but get under there skin. He's a really strong two, but a way to small 3 in my book.

I'd like to see him bully around Jamaal Crawford and the like (I know bad example) for 15-20 minutes a night and make those guys work a little.

I think he could serve that purpose and he's active on offense with a decent 3 point shot.

Again, at the very least he's a nice practice player who's a good guy and he appears hungry.

Naptown_Seth
05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Did anyone let JOB know about this? I'm pretty sure he doesn't know who Graham is and might not even know the story refers to the Indiana Pacers roster.

Not sure what SG has in him but I'd at least like to get a chance to see.

Infinite MAN_force
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM

He played in exactly two non-garbage time games where he played more than 15 minutes this year.

Jan 19 vs. SAC - 15 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal in 18 minutes.
L 104 - 110

Feb 29 @ TOR - 16 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal in 21 minutes.
W 122 - 111

He also shot 58% from the field and 50% from three for the year.

I have never not seen graham be productive when put on the floor. He goes strong to the hoop and is aggressive offensivly. I have not payed much attention to his D, but was under the impression that was his calling card.

I have been saying this since the middle of last year (since the toronto game that I was watching) Graham will be a productive rotation player very soon. This is the reason you can expect not to see Rush back, and when Marquis is gone he will probably step right into that role. The guy is a great spark off the bench.

NuffSaid
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Did anyone let JOB know about this? I'm pretty sure he doesn't know who Graham is and might not even know the story refers to the Indiana Pacers roster.
You are kidding, right?

I practically begged JOB every time I was able to get through to the Jim O'Brien Show to play Graham more. His rational for not going to Graham more was the logjam at the 2-Guard and Wing positions. If the Pacers don't resign Rush, I'd say that logjam has opened up. I'm all for a lineup that consists of:

C - Foster
PF - JO (@ 100%)
PG - Diener (or someone of starter caliber w/Diener as B/U)
SG - Granger
SF - Dunleavy

6/7/8th Men - Graham/Ike/Williams

I'd be happy with the above. That's 45-50 wins easy...as long as JO remains healthy and Ike can be far more productive than he was last year.

Since86
05-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd be happy with the above. That's 45-50 wins easy...as long as JO remains healthy and Ike can be far more productive than he was last year.

And what's your prediction if neither happens, because that's the reality that we live in.

Don't fool yourself.

Naptown_Seth
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Nuff - making sure this was clear, that was my sarcasm for the fact that when SG was a perfectly good option he kept him planted on the bench as if that was going to derail the season. The fact that he was hearing it on the JOB show only adds to the frustration.

BTW, I'm intersted in picking up Heather Graham's option if anyone has any insight into making that happen.

count55
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Gonna need cheap guys to fill out the roster...I like going with a guy we know that showed a little promise than taking a flyer on some other fringe guy.

Indianapolis_girly
05-13-2008, 04:46 PM
It really didn`t matter to me much whether he stayed or not.
He`s a pretty nice guy though.
Good character guy.
:)

Oneal07
05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I am so Happy. I want to see him get more playing time. He attacks the basket and plays hard when he's on the court. If his minutes are consistent, you'll notice he'll get better and better

madison
05-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Ho-Hum. This signing means nothing. He played sparingly in 22 games, people. The coach has almost no use for him. I hope they got him for what he's worth, maybe $40K/year. Seriously, he was signed so he could be part of a trade. He's not part of JOB's plan. 22 games says it all.

Hicks
05-13-2008, 07:12 PM
I think he'll get Rush's minutes (who won't be back). I think this could end up being an improvement*

*Slightly