PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: Mayo violated NCAA rules

Ownagedood
05-11-2008, 10:59 PM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=806668

Why are the kids so dumb these days.. haha, Im younger then him.. but still. STUPID.

-If you don't wanna read it, in short, Mayo received thousands of dollars worth of cash the last couple years from promoters..

Young
05-11-2008, 11:07 PM
So it seems that USC had nothing to do with this then? I watched the story on espn.com. It sounds like Billy Duffy's agency indirectly paid to have OJ be one of their clients.

Now I can not say I can sit here and blame OJ. If I was the one paying for my cell phone bill and someone said hey i'll pay for it you think I would object? Would I object to a nice flat screen tv? Hell no. One of my favorite quotes is "I can resist everything except temptation" and it's easy to say what people should do. But hey it is different when you really are in a position to screw up.

I don't think this makes OJ a bad person. Just stupid and normal because he accepted these things. It just looks bad and shows a lack of good judgement. In the end I do not see this affecting where he gets picked. He is still one of the top prospects avaliable.

For the record I would perfere the Pacers stay away from OJ because they can not afford any more off the court screw ups but hey OJ will be gone by the time the Pacers pick anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Cactus Jax
05-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Color me shocked. If you look at the whole story, its obvious USC had to be doing a little something extra.

JayRedd
05-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Why are the kids so dumb these days.. haha, Im younger then him.. but still. STUPID.

-If you don't wanna read it, in short, Mayo received thousands of dollars worth of cash the last couple years from promoters..

If he got thousands of dollars it sounds pretty smart to me.

Shade
05-11-2008, 11:48 PM
And this is the kind of thing that has had a lot of us wanting to stay clear of Mayo. He's a prima donna with a sense of entitlement and is not above breaking the rules to get what he wants.

SycamoreKen
05-12-2008, 12:09 AM
This is why these guys should have been allowed to go directly to the NBA. If USC did know about it they sold out for nothing. If they didn't know then they get messed over because of the NBA's unwillingness to control themselves.

AesopRockOn
05-12-2008, 12:10 AM
And this is the kind of thing that has had a lot of us wanting to stay clear of Mayo. He's a prima donna with a sense of entitlement and is not above breaking the rules to get what he wants.

:laugh:

MyFavMartin
05-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Seems that the friend was the filter who the money was going to and the OJ was lucky to get 15% of the original amount. Don't these guys realize that these sleaze bags want to be their friends for a reason?

Yes, stupid.

Not sure USC did anything wrong, but when they look the other way and factor in the Reggie Bush reports, makes one wonder.

I'd like to see this company and its affiliates and this friend be banned from being players agents and representatives.

jeffg-body
05-12-2008, 12:21 AM
This is the downside to not letting kids go straight to the NBA, even though I am in favor of the rule. Kids have little patience and are easy targets for people to take advantage of.

Shade
05-12-2008, 12:39 AM

The proof is in the pudding.

rexnom
05-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Yes, he's also an *******. Really selfish and not the kind of guy you want on your team. These are the teams that should especially avoid him: Golden State, Portland, Sacramento, Charlotte, Chicago, New Jersey, Miami, New York, Seattle, Milwaukee, LAC, Minnesota and Memphis. Again, if you are one of these 13 teams, avoid this guy like the plague. PASS the OJ...HOLD the Mayo! Leave him to some stupid, unlucky team at the bottom of the lottery, where he belongs.

Just in case a Simon reads this: as a Pacer fan, I am A-OK with Mayo.

Robertmto
05-12-2008, 02:12 AM
The proof is in the pudding.

just ask DeShaun Holdman

Tom White
05-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't think this makes OJ a bad person. Just stupid and normal because he accepted these things.

I'm not picking on you, rommie, but your phrasing points something out.

When breaking the rules gets to be considered "normal", you're in trouble. Not just with the NCAA, but with life in general for people who do these things.

Speed
05-12-2008, 10:05 AM
It was an interesting piece, I almost felt sorry for Mayo watching it. I'm not sure why, I guess its that he's a kid that has been exploited in a way. Surrounded by guys who want something from him. His Mom was in a weird position, because she wanted what was best for him.

The illegal piece is the guy set up a fake not for profit organization with a convited felon and got a credit card under the fake charity. This was after the agency cut him off. He then, supposedly, bought hotel rooms and clothes for Mayo with this credit card. I'm pretty sure this is Fraud in a big way and could have deep legal ramifications.

The other thing I question, is whats to keep a one year college player from doing this EVERY TIME. There's no penalty for Mayo. USC and Tim Floyd could get sanctions, they crooked guys could get in big trouble. Mayo walks and so will every other one year college player and leaves the college holding the bag.

I guess you could say USC should have known, but I wish there was something that happens to the player, even though I found mysef feeling sorry for Mayo a bit.

MyFavMartin
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I know how I was at 15-18 and so I can't blame the kid for not knowing everything that was going on and being a little naive. After one gets hooked, it'd be difficult to back out without getting into a heap load of trouble and losing eligibility. (Or at that age, the fear of such...)

Still, USC knew that this connection was bad and had been punished previously for having contact to two other USC basketball players.

Naptown_Seth
05-12-2008, 11:03 AM
You know after defending Mayo's apparent character and the misrepresentation of him as a bad seed, I was disappointed and interested enough to watch the OTL report on Sunday.

At first I thought "boy, they've got him, this looks bad", but then something happened. Following their "brilliant" work unconvering Tejada's real age (thank god) and ambushing him with it, E60/OTL pulled another one in my opinion.

Where is the SECOND SOURCE? I mean as the show went on I kept expecting the Johnson blurbs to cut to that next phase of investigation where they INDEPENDENTLY acquired records of various transactions directly linked to the parties named. That second witness was always just around the next commercial.

But it never came to be. What you ended up with was one guy, who by his own admission had a sour ending in the Mayo camp, handing over evidence and saying "I know because I saw it". This included saying that this handler was a runner for athletes/agents (plural) and he knew because he saw it. "Who did you see" they asked. "I saw him do it with Mayo".

Still waiting on the other athletes to make that plural legit.

And then to top it off they pulled the ambush trick again and caught Mayo not at court giving testimony but at an unrelated press conference and expected him to respond to this single source accusation.

Look, I'm NOT SAYING IT'S FALSE. I am saying that these are journalists and I'd like to think they could put together a better case than this. Right now they don't have one single thing that I could see other than what Johnson gave them.

This just in, I have the phone records that show that Mal, Peck and Shade conspired to bring EJ to IU and ultimately to the Pacers. What, you won't take my word for it and the receipts out of my pocket? I admit that we aren't as close now, but that's because Peck keeps misrepresenting me. ;)

The case as presented sounds compelling and damning. So why does it seem like ESPN didn't bring one thing to the table other than what they were handed in the first place?

And then they even mention the NUMEROUS reports of Mayo's high character that have been going around from sources specifically looking into his past for problems (ie, pro scouts and "researchers"). Odd that they all missed this glaring black spot despite one apparently all-too-vocal inside source available for interviews. Add to this the Pac-10 and NCAA which also apparently looked into violation accusations. Let's not forget that Mayo was "busted" for taking those 2 NBA tix and had to pay back the $460 value (to charity). If they could spot that how could they miss all this other stuff?

The story is odd. One source, no one else knows anything about it, and yet it does ring true.

He's a prima donna with a sense of entitlement and is not above breaking the rules to get what he wants.
The only thing is that if you believe this single source then you have to also believe him when he says the extent of actual violations was kept hidden from Mayo because he was paranoid about screwing up his future. The suggestion was that if he sniffed real violation risks he would have walked away from the deal. His interest in this guy by his (Mayo's) own comments was that this was the one guy in his life that was NOT A YES MAN. He wanted criticism and straight talk.

So if true it SEEMS like Mayo thought he was playing the game, but within the NCAA limits and workarounds.

I do know that his mom seemed legit and didn't like this guy in her son's life (that interview was from a few months ago IIRC). So it's not like he doesn't have positive voices in his life.

Naptown_Seth
05-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Just in case a Simon reads this: as a Pacer fan, I am A-OK with Mayo.
Read it? Who do you think told Johnson to say all this just before the draft? ;) :D

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 11:19 AM

The bottom line is Mayo shows a pattern of making poor decisions off the basketball court. It has moved from being a possibility that he is a poor decision maker to it being a sure thing. Maybe he grows out of it, maybe not, but to me Mayo screams immaturity and as Shade said a sense of entitlement. He also seems like the typical player who is going to demand several trades during his career and generally hold his franchise's locker room hostage (in a figurative sense of course). I don't think Mayo's a criminal or anything, just more of a Stephon Marbury.

NapTonius Monk
05-12-2008, 11:41 AM
It was an interesting piece, I almost felt sorry for Mayo watching it. I'm not sure why, I guess its that he's a kid that has been exploited in a way. Surrounded by guys who want something from him. His Mom was in a weird position, because she wanted what was best for him.

The illegal piece is the guy set up a fake not for profit organization with a convited felon and got a credit card under the fake charity. This was after the agency cut him off. He then, supposedly, bought hotel rooms and clothes for Mayo with this credit card. I'm pretty sure this is Fraud in a big way and could have deep legal ramifications.

The other thing I question, is whats to keep a one year college player from doing this EVERY TIME. There's no penalty for Mayo. USC and Tim Floyd could get sanctions, they crooked guys could get in big trouble. Mayo walks and so will every other one year college player and leaves the college holding the bag.

I guess you could say USC should have known, but I wish there was something that happens to the player, even though I found mysef feeling sorry for Mayo a bit.

CHARACTER. It is the keeping element for those who possess it. Being offered the wrong way doesn't obligate someone to walk therein!

:kegboypreachit:

Moses
05-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I think tons of college athletes accept money..just a lot never get caught. I'd still take Mayo pretty easily if he ever fell for some reason.

Naptown_Seth
05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Again, does anyone have anything to say regarding the single source? I mean now other news outlets are reporting this story, but it's still the same ESPN OTL story that as far as I can tell relies 100% on one guy's testimony.

Kegboy
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Again, does anyone have anything to say regarding the single source? I mean now other news outlets are reporting this story, but it's still the same ESPN OTL story that as far as I can tell relies 100% on one guy's testimony.

I saw a little bit of the show in passing. Don't they have documentation (receipts and such)?

Naptown_Seth
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I saw a little bit of the show in passing. Don't they have documentation (receipts and such)?
That's just it. I think everything they have comes from Johnson's own hands. Now I do think that this guy was using the fake credit card, but Mayo isn't being tied to knowledge of that. At worst Mayo knew that because of who he was that outside people like to pass money into his circle of friends, and that the ultimate source was an agent that he was fine to sign with anyway.

But I thought they were going to show a true connection from another source and I don't think they really did. It's a story with tons of fury but it's not that deep. We know he faked the credit card cause Johnson has the receipt or told us about it. No FEDs on that case, at least nothing to report as of now. No NCAA findings, no Pac-10 findings, nothing they dug up at all.

I mean $200 ATM receipts and a receipt for a big screen TV? I have those. Now all I have to do is say they were passed on to Derrick Rose and we have a story. This just in, I also bought a copy of GTA IV for Rose too. He's dirty to the core.

I'm saying it very well might be true, but damn, dig a little yourself first. Johnson could have handed this story to anyone as they presented it, unless I misunderstood it. I'd like to see a couple of other sources rather than just Johnson and the paperwork he gave them or pointed them too. And doubly so considering that Mayo has been and is being investigated in general with nothing but praise so far, per ESPN's own admission.

Oh, and this also isn't a "paid to go to USC" story anyway, at least at Mayo's end. This is Mayo thinking he was seeing "loans" or "incentives" to sign with an agent down the line. Now maybe this handler wanted him to go to USC and used the agent angle to get money to direct Mayo there, but at this point it's far more a violation of rules meant to protect the players from vultures like this, not a violation where the player himself was pulling a fast one.

Slick Pinkham
05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure why, I guess its that he's a kid that has been exploited in a way.

Mayo and/or friends, family, and hangers-on have been promoting the guy since he was a 6th grader. Yes, they set up his web site when he was about 12. The kid has an enormous ego but I guess how could it be otherwise if everyone tells him everyday that he is great.

I think though that as an 18+ year old he is man enough to be in charge of this and we can't blame others for pulling the puppet strings.

Right now they don't have one single thing that I could see other than what Johnson gave them.

I agree that ESPN fell short. It should be easy to verify if this college student has a huge plasma TV, tons of other expensive gadgets, a huge apartment or house, and a large bank account all out of whack with income for him and his parents/guardians.

I would also think that if a guy has tons of expensive stuff, word would get around to the coaches. Just whispers, you know, that guys are spending a lot of time at his upscale place playing video games on his 50-inch plasmas. Rumors go around all the time on college campuses, and unfortunately the coaches need to keep an ear open and track down ones that are true, and as soon as possible.

Speed
05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
That's just it. I think everything they have comes from Johnson's own hands. Now I do think that this guy was using the fake credit card, but Mayo isn't being tied to knowledge of that. At worst Mayo knew that because of who he was that outside people like to pass money into his circle of friends, and that the ultimate source was an agent that he was fine to sign with anyway.

But I thought they were going to show a true connection from another source and I don't think they really did. It's a story with tons of fury but it's not that deep. We know he faked the credit card cause Johnson has the receipt or told us about it. No FEDs on that case, at least nothing to report as of now. No NCAA findings, no Pac-10 findings, nothing they dug up at all.

I mean $200 ATM receipts and a receipt for a big screen TV? I have those. Now all I have to do is say they were passed on to Derrick Rose and we have a story. This just in, I also bought a copy of GTA IV for Rose too. He's dirty to the core.

I'm saying it very well might be true, but damn, dig a little yourself first. Johnson could have handed this story to anyone as they presented it, unless I misunderstood it. I'd like to see a couple of other sources rather than just Johnson and the paperwork he gave them or pointed them too. And doubly so considering that Mayo has been and is being investigated in general with nothing but praise so far, per ESPN's own admission.

Oh, and this also isn't a "paid to go to USC" story anyway, at least at Mayo's end. This is Mayo thinking he was seeing "loans" or "incentives" to sign with an agent down the line. Now maybe this handler wanted him to go to USC and used the agent angle to get money to direct Mayo there, but at this point it's far more a violation of rules meant to protect the players from vultures like this, not a violation where the player himself was pulling a fast one.

I can't agree with you more.

I watched it Sunday morning, in it's entirety and kept thinking the same thing. This is some guy in an entourage who got ousted. Where's the rest.

To echo your thoughts, this may be a huge deal and all true, but it was a bunch of this guy being disgruntled and not much substance, at all.

Then I think its irresponsible for ESPN to run it on its ticker all day and then on sports center and continue to propagate the story on the website as a massive multimedia machine based on this one OTL story.

It seems like they are creating news, that's not right.

The whole process is shady, no doubt, sneaker companies running camps, runners for agents, flat screen TVs in dorms, fake siclke cell charities. I hate the summer leagues and the touch it and shoot/not organized basketball way its ran. I hate ranking 8th graders nationally.

I'm not saying the whole process doesn't stink to high heaven, but this whole thing seemed to at worst have an agenda, at best be really poorly done tabloid journalism.

Major Cold
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
ESPN??? shady reporting??

No way.

It will be investigated on all fronts thanks to ESPN. And if more surfaces then ESPN will keep on doing this. If nothing comes about then ESPN will continue creating the news.

AesopRockOn
05-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Some of y'all sound like you're straight out of a Stephen King book. If you're above getting a free flat screen and getting your bills paid, you must be blessed.

And talking about character! How about this dude, having been in OJ's circle and one of his good friends, turning on him to cash in on his own fifteen. The only mistake in judgment (assuming Shaq and other players got rich in college;)) by Mayo is getting cool with this fool, who shows the opposite of pride, loyalty, and respect.

Seth is right about the lack of credibility and I honestly think there's a huge point to make that the kid's name is OJ. People will flock to this **** because it's another consequence-less scandal. ESPN has become so horrible since they picked up the NBA.

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
It doesn't matter how many people break the rule, they are still the rules.

If you get caught underage drinking at IU you can't say well 90% of the people at IU who are under 21 drink.

If you get caught speeding on I-465 you can't say well everyone else was speeding.

So Mayo can't say well everyone else is being paid off why not me? He is still breaking the rules and he still must be held accountable for his actions.

Major Cold
05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
People speed on 465?

DisplacedKnick
05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm not too worried about this saying much, if anything, about Mayo's character.

He was offered a chunk of money, starting when he was 15 and took it?

I'm shocked!

Lots of 18-year-olds are immature. Good chance he grows out of it. There's a chance he doesn't. I'd be more concerned with how he approaches workouts and the draft camp (assuming he goes) than him grabbing some money he shouldn't have at that age. I sure wouldn't let that fact - by itself - impact where I might pick him. Not much anyway.

And that's assuming the story is true.

Anthem
05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
How dare he! Hopefully his stock drops as a punishment for this heinous behavior. If justice is served, he'd drop entirely out of the top 10.

Who has #11?

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm surprised how lax some of you are about this rule. From a business or employer perspective its a bit of a red flag for a potential employee to break the rules to make a little extra coin.

Anthem
05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm surprised how lax some of you are about this rule.
I'm not lax. I think Stern should force him out of the top 10.

d_c
05-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised how lax some of you are about this rule. From a business or employer perspective its a bit of a red flag for a potential employee to break the rules to make a little extra coin.

I guarantee you that his future employer who invests a Top 5 pick on him and guarantees him him a multi-million $ contract isn't going to gave a damn about it.

NBA teams might give some pause to the thought of taking a guy like Mayo if he breaks laws, but they won't even blink once if he breaks NCAA rules. They don't care about the NCAA and their rules. Why would they? Those rules don't affect how the NBA operates.

AesopRockOn
05-12-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm not a cop, I'm a fan. And if a player of his caliber slipped (and he won't unless Anthem is a prophet) to the Pacers, it would be absolutely insane to consider him unpickable.

We can only hope he becomes friends with Deshawn Stevenson and they make a Lil-Wayne diss song. :nod:

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I guarantee you that his future employer who invests a Top 5 pick on him and guarantees him him a multi-million $ contract isn't going to gave a damn about it.

NBA teams might give some pause to the thought of taking a guy like Mayo if he breaks laws, but they won't even blink once if he breaks NCAA rules. They don't care about the NCAA and their rules. Why would they? Those rules don't affect how the NBA operates.

Maybe part of the NBA's problem is that they don't care if their players respect the rules.

OJ Mayo screams Stephon Marbury or Steve Francis to me. Just SCREAMS it.

d_c
05-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe part of the NBA's problem is that they don't care if their players respect the rules.

OJ Mayo screams Stephon Marbury or Steve Francis to me. Just SCREAMS it.

Same could be said for the NFL. The amount of gifts/money/incentives Reggie Bush received totally blow what Mayo received out of the water. Not even close.

The NFL and the Saints don't seem to care much. Neither do companies like Adidas, Subway and many others who sponsor Bush.

BTW, the NCAA may not like Bush getting paid like that, but they still like making money off of him. Bush was on the cover for EA Sports NCAA Football 2007 (which requires NCAA endorsement). And that was well after the reports of the alleged violations. Maybe the reason nobody respects NCAA rules is because they know they're a joke.

FWIW, neither Marbury or Francis has been in trouble with the law or the NCAA.

Anthem
05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Maybe the reason nobody respects NCAA rules is because they know they're a joke.
:ding:

Trader Joe
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Thats true. I'm just saying from a personality standpoint, Mayo kind of reminds me of them.

Who knows. Mayo will be one of the many interesting story lines in this upcoming draft.

Naptown_Seth
05-13-2008, 11:29 AM
People speed on 465?
There's a speed limit on 465?

I certainly don't defend the activity itself, I'm only saying to ESPN that I'd like to stop driving every answer back to Johnson. How do we know...Johnson told us. We got evidence...that Johnson gave us.

If Johnson is legit then certainly he's done the right thing and kept a good record. I'm not faulting his testimony. I'm faulting the people that are supposed to use that as a starting point, not an end point.

As for "everyone is doing it", I agree it's no excuse. However to me the crime is not nearly by Mayo as much as it is the handler and the agency.

1) This was PRE-NCAA, so the NCAA rules weren't even in play at the start.

2) Should an agency be seeking to secretly sign a high school player, especially without parental permission?

3) Should a handler be allowed to make an 80-90% commission on such a black market transaction, does that truly benefit Mayo?

4) What does Mayo have to do with the handler being cut off by the agency for spending so much (on himself) and having to then commit fraud to keep the money rolling in?

See the thing is that Mayo wasn't paid by boosters to go to USC and he didn't come close to seeing most of the cash being directed at him. What you have is one scumbag who took advantage of Mayo and the situation and an agency that shouldn't be allowed to represent athletes at this point.

Sure Mayo knew being a star was getting him special treatment, but that is true for ALL star athletes. All, not most. The kinds of stuff he saw doesn't even seem like an extreme case. In fact it's rather conservative as the story has been told up to this point.

but this whole thing seemed to at worst have an agenda,
With the 11th pick Larry Bird takes...
That's one slick hick. ;)

"It ain't right for them kind of people to be doing all the stuff they've been doing with that kid, but you didn't hear that from me."

tdubb03
05-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Mike and Mike (ESPN morning show for those who don't know) was discussing the Mayo situation, and amateur basketball in general. Specifically AAU and how these grown men even come into contact with these kids when they're not even 16 in some cases. So they talk to some guy from scout.com about it, no new info to anyone who pays attention. Then immediately after this discussion, they have LeBron James on for an interview. Who better to ask about this situation than the most hyped high school athlete of my generation, the one driving a hummer to high school? Not one question, not even a hint. I just had to post it somewhere.

Naptown_Seth
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3408165

Mayo confronted Guillory, the shady guy that was basically stealing money from the agent and then got the fake credit card pretending to be a charity. Kicked him to the curb face to face, the guy is now nowhere to be found.

Mayo also dropped the agent. So basically the people that tried to use him and buy him off just got shut down. And Mayo has his mom involved with the process now.

Honestly this story is playing out like Johnson presented it. He suggested that Mayo had all along questioned Guillory about the legitmacy of the money he was getting, that they weren't breaking NCAA rules.

Keep in mind that the transactions weren't paying him off to go to USC. They were pre-paying him to sign with that agent. And Guillory kept a HUGE MAJORITY of the money, Mayo saw very little, perhaps as little as a small part time job over the span of this dealing. $30K for 3-5 years, and some of that spread among friends. Perhaps Mayo even thought they were staying below an NCAA safe dollar amount.

So Johnson probably tried to make this clear to Mayo (my guess), gets pushed out by Guillory who is covering his own butt (and blatently doing stuff he knows is both wrong and illegal) and decides to blow the whistle. The fallout matches this story.

It's not that I love Mayo, I'm neutral on him. This is just another one of those times when I've felt like the image of the story was a 1-dimensional over-the-top caracature of the situation. Mayo manning up and confronting Guillory himself actually impresses me.

His stock is back up, and I think had it not been someone was going to get one of those "doh, why did we pass on him" moments in a few years.

Of course he still has to show that he can maintain a steady FG%, but that's not a character flaw...well, maybe in Indiana. ;)