PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni to coach Knicks

Shade
05-10-2008, 02:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3389987

Mike D'Antoni has accepted an offer to coach the New York Knicks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nyk), according to a media reports.

The former Phoenix Suns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=pho) coach, who was also sought by the Chicago Bulls (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=chi), has accepted a four-year, $24 million deal to take over the Knicks, according to reports by Sports Illustrated and The Boston Globe, both citing a league source.

The Knicks did not immediately confirm that D'Antoni is New York-bound.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith had previously reported that the Knicks had outlined a four-year, $24 million offer for D'Antoni.

D'Antoni had two years and nearly $9 million remaining on his contract with the Suns, whom he led to two Western Conference finals. The Suns were eliminated in the first round of the NBA playoffs this season after trading Shawn Marion (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3332) for Shaquille O'Neal (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=847).
The two-team chase for D'Antoni intensified when he talked to the Bulls in a late-evening conference call with team officials on Friday. And the Chicago Tribune reported that Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who owns a home in the Phoenix area, planned to meet face-to-face over the weekend with D'Antoni.

D'Antoni has a 267-172 career coaching record with the Suns and Denver Nuggets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=den). The Suns reached won at least 54 games in four of his five seasons and reached the Western Conference finals twice. He has a 26-25 record in the playoffs.

He's leaving Phoenix to coach the Knicks? Seriously?

Kegboy
05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
$$$

And Mark Jackson's quest to get an HC job without paying his dues continues.

JayRedd
05-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Come on Mike D'Antoni...you're better than that.

Meanwhile, DK is doing cartwheels.

If Jamal, Nate and Q all stick around/stay healthy, they could all flourish under Viper.

pwee31
05-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Don't see Randoplh and Curry sticking around. MAYBE one, but definitely not both

grace
05-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Sure it's a lot of money, but I'm not sure there's any amount of money that's worth going through that kind of hell.

Donnie must be some kind of salesman.

Young
05-10-2008, 03:56 PM
This is a very interesting hire to me.

I thought that when Donnie took over he would go for Mark Jackson or someone like him with no head coaching experience. Donnie has already came out and said it will take a few years to rebuild so to me it would make sense to go with someone like Mark Jackson who people would have less expectations, at least at this point in time.

But now with D'Antoni he has won in the West. He is a proven winner. People are going to expect the Ws to be rolling in. New York does have the talent and the East is weak so maybe they can put it all together. But I don't see them winning the East unless they make some major changes.

d_c
05-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Sure it's a lot of money, but I'm not sure there's any amount of money that's worth going through that kind of hell.

Donnie must be some kind of salesman.

The bottom line is that Walsh and D'Antoni is far, far better than Isiah and a bunch of YesMen.

Sure, they may not be much of anything in the next year or two, but now they have some competent people running the show to go along with their financial resources.

They'll be back to being good in a couple years, and maybe sooner than people think.

DisplacedKnick
05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Come on Mike D'Antoni...you're better than that.

Meanwhile, DK is doing cartwheels.

If Jamaal, Nate and Q all stick around/stay healthy, they could all flourish under Viper.

David Lee too. And maybe Jared Jeffries can rejuvenate his career. I'd put Q about on a par with JO when it comes to injuries though.

We'll see - we aren't winning anything next year anyway but we have (hopefully) a top-5 pick this year and should get a 10-12 next year (I believe that pick's still protected until 2010). Donnie has a lot of work to do, starting with picking up a PG.

NapTonius Monk
05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
David Lee too. And maybe Jared Jeffries can rejuvenate his career. I'd put Q about on a par with JO when it comes to injuries though.

We'll see - we aren't winning anything next year anyway but we have (hopefully) a top-5 pick this year and should get a 10-12 next year (I believe that pick's still protected until 2010). Donnie has a lot of work to do, starting with picking up a PG.

Don't get carried away babyyyy!!!!!!

Hicks
05-10-2008, 09:34 PM
From Isiah and..... Isiah to Walsh and D'Antoni. Pretty nice summer so far.

JayRedd
05-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Um, well, actually pretty nice little Saturday. We're, uh, gonna hire a former Coach of the Year, reunite him with Quentin Richardson...maybe push Isiah even further out the door...stuff like that. Maybe trade Stephon's expiring contract...I don't know...I don't know if we'll have time.

DisplacedKnick
05-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm waiting for '09-10. I figure we'll be dealing Marbury one way or another - either deal him near the deadline or (assuming he shows he's worth more than the MLE) in an S&T next summer.

That guarantees us a 50-win season. I'm looking forward to it.

Hicks
05-11-2008, 12:25 AM
I thought this was a good read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DAntoni-Knicks-080510

Will Galen
05-11-2008, 01:24 AM
I thought this was a good read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DAntoni-Knicks-080510

I read that earlier and thought about posting it. My comment was going to be Donnie Walsh with the Knicks is going to be better than Jerry West was with the Lakers.

If they get a point guard they will make the playoffs easily next season.

Robertmto
05-11-2008, 02:01 AM
And maybe Jared Jeffries can rejuvenate his career.

Give him back :hmm:

N8R
05-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Here is another article from Yahoo Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ag2GsTwNYs9Nt7ezypK8m7O8vLYF?slug=aw-dantonijoinsknicks051108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Gives the not so good side of it all. I kind of think I am on the fence with this one.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
What DW has done IMO is pretty much admitted that the core of the team needs to be scrapped. Now I may be wrong - there are all these stories floating around about D'Antoni winning with a different style in Europe - but that's the way I see it.

And I'm glad he didn't decide to go with someone with zero coaching experience, especially trying to turn a steaming pile of misfits into a team. If Jackson really wants to coach he should quit broadcasting and be an AC somewhere.

DisplacedKnick
05-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Don't get carried away babyyyy!!!!!!

LOL - I can dream can't I? I figure Jeffries is long, athletic and doesn't have a real go-to move on offense - he should do better with an open-floor style game.

grace
05-11-2008, 01:32 PM
If Jackson really wants to coach he should quit broadcasting and be an AC somewhere.

The problem is he doesn't think he should have to do it. Since Reggie said the Knicks job was his to lose maybe know he'll change his mind about paying his dues.

d_c
05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
What DW has done IMO is pretty much admitted that the core of the team needs to be scrapped. Now I may be wrong - there are all these stories floating around about D'Antoni winning with a different style in Europe - but that's the way I see it.

And I'm glad he didn't decide to go with someone with zero coaching experience, especially trying to turn a steaming pile of misfits into a team. If Jackson really wants to coach he should quit broadcasting and be an AC somewhere.

I think what Donnie Walsh did was pretty simple:

He hired the best coach on the open market.

After all the B.S. and over analysis by everyone of whether this is a good fit, D'Antoni was the best qualified, most desirable and most accomplished coach on the market. With the help of their financial resources, Walsh was able to make a quick offer to D'Antoni that he couldn't refuse.

rexnom
05-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, Donnie is doing just fine. If D'Antoni doesn't work out then he'll get another top flight coach in four years. No reason to believe he won't though. LeBron will be there soon.

Roaming Gnome
05-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I think what Donnie Walsh did was pretty simple:

He hired the best coach on the open market.

After all the B.S. and over analysis by everyone of whether this is a good fit, D'Antoni was the best qualified, most desirable and most accomplished coach on the market. With the help of their financial resources, Walsh was able to make a quick offer to D'Antoni that he couldn't refuse.

yep, that pretty much is it in a nut shell. Donnie is in a market where he is not hamstrung by cash or a lack of destination desirability. So, as rexnom pointed out, if D'Antoni doesn't work out, he will be able to just go out and be able to hire the next top flight coach available.

Trader Joe
05-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Uh, who's gonna play point guard in this system? Nate? J-Craw? I don't see it. They have to take Bayless or Mayo now and hope they can learn the system IMO.

d_c
05-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Uh, who's gonna play point guard in this system? Nate? J-Craw? I don't see it. They have to take Bayless or Mayo now and hope they can learn the system IMO.

Hiring D'Antoni fixes their coaching problem, not their PG problem.

The Knicks were going to have a problem with their PG situation regardless of who they hired as the coach. It's certainly a possibility they take Mayo/Bayless because they might be the best available players anyways.

Trader Joe
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
That's sort of my point though. D'Antoni is not gonna be able to help the Knicks til they get a better point guard.

yanksalex
05-11-2008, 09:19 PM
A familiar face in the picture attached to Harvey Araton's column about this in today's Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sports/basketball/11araton.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

JayRedd
05-11-2008, 09:24 PM
That's sort of my point though. D'Antoni is not gonna be able to help the Knicks til they get a better point guard.

Neither is God.

They might not get a ton better in terms of W-L (although, how could they not?) or becoming an instant contender. But this at least will make them exciting to watch again for those paying ridiculous ticket prices in MSG.

And I guarantee those folks would much rather watch the Knicks lose 120-112 and have a little fun than the nonsense they've been witnessing for the past three years.

Hicks
05-11-2008, 09:53 PM
You don't not hire a good head coach because you have other problems. It's like saying "why should the Pacers improve their wing defense, their PG will still suck!" Yes, it will, but you don't neglect your ancillary needs while the primary remains in a state of disrepair.

Eindar
05-11-2008, 10:12 PM

I'd say David Stern is working on this as we speak. Jumping from 5 to 2 isn't nearly as hard to rig as jumping to #1 to take Patrick Ewing. :)

Anthem
05-11-2008, 10:31 PM
That would have been true of anyone he'd hired.

Trader Joe
05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
That would have been true of anyone he'd hired.

Maybe, but other coaches would have put more of an emphasis on defense. For the record, I like the hire for the long term, but I think the Knicks will be just as bad if not worse next year.

avoidingtheclowns
05-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Maybe, but other coaches would have put more of an emphasis on defense. For the record, I like the hire for the long term, but I think the Knicks will be just as bad if not worse next year.

i think they think this too. anything better than worst team in the league will probably be a surprise. d'antoni didn't take this job expecting to take eddy curry and jerome james to the finals -- he took this job for three years from now AND the nice scratch he is getting to soothe the painful two years. if d'antoni was concerned about immediate success he'd go to chicago.

Unclebuck
05-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I am extremely surprised that Walsh picked D'Antoni - makes no sense to me

PacerGuy
05-12-2008, 09:21 AM

As am I in that D'Antoni picked NY over Chi.

Look @ the rosters: Talent, ages, styles, cap.... Chi has many young assets, shorter contracts, & a roster who can play his style TODAY, w/ only some small tweaking needed. NY is light yrs away from playing as he did in PHX. Beyond Crawford, Lee, & N.Robinson (& maybe a healthy Q), NY lacks the players to run that style. Starbury could, but I don't see him in a NY uniform n/y (buyout, traded, or released).

D'Antoni should be in Chi, & A.Johnson (or M.Jackson) should be in NY. Avery is the better option IMO, but NY would have been a good fit for M.Jack, & NY fans would have given him (& Donnie) more time then they likely will now. Carlistle is a good fit w/ Dallas IMO. Who knows who ends up in PHX, but is sounds more like a 1st timer, & likely one w/ PHX ties (E.Johnson?).

rexnom
05-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Did you read the article which said he wanted to bring D'Antoni to the Pacers to head up the offense during the Isiah years? Apparently Donnie's been a fan for a while.

MyFavMartin
05-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Sam Jackson was discussing on Mike and Mike this am that D'Antoni and Chicago had mutual interest, but that Chicago waited too long to pull the trigger and were hesistant since they had Skiles at $5 mil per and knew tthey'd have to pay similar.

Wouldn't think that Chicago would be strapped for money. Maybe they were trying to low ball MD'A knowing the situation is better than NY? Should have gave the chance to Chicago to match on a counter-offer.

DisplacedKnick
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
As am I in that D'Antoni picked NY over Chi.

Look @ the rosters: Talent, ages, styles, cap.... Chi has many young assets, shorter contracts, & a roster who can play his style TODAY, w/ only some small tweaking needed. NY is light yrs away from playing as he did in PHX. Beyond Crawford, Lee, & N.Robinson (& maybe a healthy Q), NY lacks the players to run that style. Starbury could, but I don't see him in a NY uniform n/y (buyout, traded, or released).

Marbury can't run uptempo - or he never has anyway.

But we don't have the players to run any style. A slow, half-court offense only works if you have players who can defend. We don't. An uptempo offense only works if you have players who can run. We don't.

We need to be very clear - we haven't sucked because of Isiah the coach (though he may not have helped). We've sucked because of Isiah the GM.

DW sat down with D'Antoni and went through every player on the roster - sort of a cull/keep discussion. We can all guess which player fit in which camp and most of us won't be off by more than 1 or 2. I can't think MA walked out of that meeting thinking we'd be competitive in less than 2 yearsand more likely 3. And if Little Jimmy can keep his shorts from getting in a bunch we'll be OK.

PR07
05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
I think people are putting too much emphasis on the Knicks players that they currently have. They'll be able to overhaul that roster in 2 seasons and find the players that fit D'Antoni's system.

People say they don't have the PG to run that system? Hello! They have a Top 5 pick in the draft: Derrick Rose (their "Nash"), Jerryd Bayless (their Barbosa).

Rookie PG
JCrawford (assumed to be a good fit)
QRich (was on the D'Antoni Suns before)
David Lee (assumed to be a good fit)
Jermaine O'Neal (trade Marbury for him)

This team doesn't look that bad.

Manguera
05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I think people are putting too much emphasis on the Knicks players that they currently have. They'll be able to overhaul that roster in 2 seasons and find the players that fit D'Antoni's system.

People say they don't have the PG to run that system? Hello! They have a Top 5 pick in the draft: Derrick Rose (their "Nash"), Jerryd Bayless (their Barbosa).

Rookie PG
JCrawford (assumed to be a good fit)
QRich (was on the D'Antoni Suns before)
David Lee (assumed to be a good fit)
Jermaine O'Neal (trade Marbury for him)

This team doesn't look that bad.

Agreed. And not to mention that they will go hard after Lebron in 2010. This was a hire for the future and the rebuilding will start next month.

Naptown_Seth
05-15-2008, 01:17 PM
You get to pick the next coach, it's either JOB or D'Antoni. You want to play a fan-friendly up-tempo style.

So IMO that's Donnie 1, Larry 0. I realize Mike D wasn't there last year, but whatever the factors, somehow DW has a better version of a fan friendly coaching style and he's only been on the job a few months.

Can the Knicks play that style? Who cares, could the Pacers play JOB's style?

Both teams have tough spots to get out of but I don't think I'm way off base expecting DW to get the Knicks in better shape in the next 3 years.

I'm going suicide watch if the Knicks are winning more than the Pacers in 2 years and the Mavs are hitting the Finals with Rick.