PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo anyone?

OnlyPacersLeft
05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
would you guys want carmelo on this team?
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52422/20080509/nuggets_will_listen_to_trade_offers_for_carmelo/
I think he would be an awesome fit but probably not a bigger impact then danny. Of course melos off court problems would be one of the reasons he probably would never be coming here but it's always interesting when stars are on the block.

d_c
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
He's not really on the block.

Denver is probably just putting this out as a message to tell him to shape up.

I mean really, what are they gonna do? Trade a 24 year all-star for less talented players and then build around a 32 year old Iverson and 34 year old Camby? They're not going to do that.

I'd be pretty surprised if he was playing on another team next year.

Mourning
05-09-2008, 09:19 PM
but probably not a bigger impact then danny

Are you kidding me? I REALLY, REALLY like Danny, but I don't have to think for a second about taking Carmelo if I got offered him or Danny.

mildlysane
05-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Naaah. I have a feeling Danny will be clutch in the playoffs. Melo....not so much.

grace
05-09-2008, 10:27 PM
No, :thankyou:

JayRedd
05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Further proving my theory that RealGM is a giant waste of everyone's time.

Horrible, horrible headline based off of nothing.

While the Nuggets have given no indication they will actively shop Anthony, the constant drama in the life of their 23-year-old forward has become the source of enough frustration within team headquarters that Denver would be willing to listen if somebody made a trade offer too good to refuse for Melo. The problem? In a league where stars such as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James dominate, it's difficult to come out ahead when trading a singular immense talent for any combination of players and draft picks.That apparently must be the paragraph they decided warranted a headline of "Nuggets Will Listen to Trade Offers for Carmelo."

Meanwhile, the writer, Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post (who I don't blame for misleading anyone) wrote "the Nuggets have given no indication they will actively shop Anthony" and "Denver would be willing to listen if somebody made a trade offer too good to refuse for Melo."

Or...essentially, the story is "Carmelo is just like any other really, really good player in this league in the sense that there is no possible way his team would ever trade him unless someone put a horse's head in their owners bed."

Also, there isn't a single quote in this whole piece and it's clearly an opinionated column and by no means meant to be a news article. Nor is anyone aside from the RealGM headline writers trying to pretend it is news.

Seriously, don't read RealGM...it's bad for your health.

Evan_The_Dude
05-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Even before the off court trouble I've just never been a Carmelo fan. But hey I'll embrace and find a way to overrate any player we get. [At least I'm honest]

Young
05-09-2008, 11:54 PM
I like Carmelo. He is an excellant player but I want to win in the playoffs. With him, you are putting your whole success on his shoulders. I'd rather keep Danny and build off of what we have to be honest.

andreialta
05-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Carmelo is the kind of guy that would bring back Basketball in Indiana.. sure theres gonna be haters but fans will be drawn to watch.

we don't really have the necessary players to trade for him skills and contract wise.

personally i think Melo's game is held back cause of Ai. and he hasnt proven anything in the play-offs unlike the likes of CP3, Dwill, LBJ, DH

and i agree with d_c that this is just a way for him to get motivated.

but then again, Melo is a troublemaker so hmmmh

sig
05-10-2008, 01:32 AM
I know Melo sure looked really good for team USA. I don't know why he hasn't totally broken out in Denver but he sure has the capability to score close to 30 a game and be efficient doing it.

aero
05-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Granger > Melo baggage

Mourning
05-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Naaah. I have a feeling Danny will be clutch in the playoffs. Melo....not so much.

What has Danny done in the play-offs so far? Melo has been pretty clutch in the regular season... I have no problem with seeying him develop clutchness during the play-offs...

idioteque
05-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Carmelo it just one of those guys who is really, really talented but you can't ever picture him in a winning equation.

Kegboy
05-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Carmelo it just one of those guys who is really, really talented but you can't ever picture him in a winning equation.

Yeah, cause he's certainly never won anything before.

:rolleyes:

mildlysane
05-10-2008, 12:27 PM
What has Danny done in the play-offs so far?

Hence the future tense of my post...;)

Robertmto
05-10-2008, 12:57 PM
is the granger/melo debate even debatable?

Will Galen
05-10-2008, 01:13 PM
is the granger/melo debate even debatable?

Not with the Simons. No way they would trade for Melo, thus there is no debate.

Sollozzo
05-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Wait a second, are there actually people who wouldn't trade Danny Granger for Carmelo Anthony?

Wow.

Kegboy
05-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Wait a second, are there actually people who wouldn't trade Danny Granger for Carmelo Anthony?

Wow.

There are people here who wouldn't trade Danny for LeBron. Seriously, I remember seeing someone post that.

JayRedd
05-10-2008, 03:19 PM

It's not like he he put Syracuse on his back and won an NCAA title as a freshman or anything. And it's not like he dropped 33 in a Final Four game or anything. What a loser.

Sollozzo
05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
There are people here who wouldn't trade Danny for LeBron. Seriously, I remember seeing someone post that.

That doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I like Danny a lot, but come on.

Danny for MJ in his prime would probably be a tough decision for some.

idioteque
05-10-2008, 04:13 PM
It's not like he he put Syracuse on his back and won an NCAA title as a freshman or anything. And it's not like he dropped 33 in a Final Four game or anything. What a loser.

Yeah, cause he's certainly never won anything before.

:rolleyes:

Way to cherry pick COLLEGE accomplishments when I'm talking about the NBA. What has Carmelo ever done in the postseason in the NBA, not college? What's next, should we build a core around Trajon Langdon and J.J. Reddick? Trajon Langdon just led a team to the Euroleague championship, does that mean he'll win in the NBA as well?

College sucess has no real bearing on the NBA. Carmelo has the talent (unlike the other guys I mentioned), but he has proven to be completely distracted in the pro game, he's more obsessed with getting DUI's and appearing in "stop snitchin" videos than he is with winning. I want no part of any player who is out boozing and driving right before the playoffs begin. He's no better than having Zach Randolph on your team in terms of character.

Sollozzo
05-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm a big Melo fan, but I gotta agree with DC that it's weak to use college successes as an argument that he'll succeed in the pros.

I mean, Pervis Ellison was a stud at Louisville and led them to the 1989 title, but he didn't exactly accomplish much in the NBA outside of being a journeyman for 10 or so years.

Now I don't think that Melo is a Pervis Ellison, I'm just saying that it's kind of weak to use college successes as reasoning that a guy will lead an NBA team far.

Kegboy
05-10-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm a big Melo fan, but I gotta agree with DC that it's weak to use college successes as an argument that he'll succeed in the pros.

I mean, Pervis Ellison was a stud at Louisville and led them to the 1989 title, but he didn't exactly accomplish much in the NBA outside of being a journeyman for 10 or so years.

Now I don't think that Melo is a Pervis Ellison, I'm just saying that it's kind of weak to use college successes as reasoning that a guy will lead an NBA team far.

I'll take single-handedly winning the NCAA's over scoring 37 to beat SA in OT to make the Finals.

:tongue:

grace
05-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I'll take single-handedly winning the NCAA's over scoring 37 to beat SA in OT to make the Finals.

Before anyone turns a nose up at a NCAA title remember Larry Bird said he'd gladly trade one of his NBA rings for a NCAA title.

SoupIsGood
05-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Before anyone turns a nose up at a NCAA title remember Larry Bird said he'd gladly trade one of his NBA rings for a NCAA title.

Larry Bird would also gladly trade a pile of junk (players that used to be on our team) for a more expensive pile of junk (players on our team now). :shrug:

Sollozzo
05-10-2008, 08:44 PM

LOL

Good one (seriously)

MyFavMartin
05-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Melo is a mismatch where he has the quickness to take fours outside and the size to take threes inside.

But then who does he guard on defense?

I'd pass. Especially when we're trying to get better character and after all his recent off-court crap - - - DUIs, special treatment from a cop, etc.

DgR
05-10-2008, 09:38 PM
While I do think Melo is overated- he doesn't do much more than shoot the ball- he's no leader, can't deffend and doesn't make anyone around him better- but preffering DG over him because of his "baggage" is absurd. I'd take him over Granger even if he was found playing with his grandmother's skeleton dressed as Hitler.

d_c
05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
While I do think Melo is overated- he doesn't do much more than shoot the ball- he's no leader, can't deffend and doesn't make anyone around him better- but preffering DG over him because of his "baggage" is absurd. I'd take him over Granger even if he was found playing with his grandmother's skeleton dressed as Hitler.

And FWIW, Carmelo rebounded the ball well this year (7.4 rpg) from the SF position and handed about as many assists as Dunleavy.

He's also shown to be the best or 2nd best player on Team USA whenever they play. And those are teams with a pretty fair amount of talent.

Carmelo isn't Lebron, but if you're Denver, what are you going to do? Trade him for lesser talented players and then keep tanking every season in hopes that you'll wind up with the next Lebron instead of the next Carmelo? You can't run a team like that.

Guy has some issues to work out, but he's only about to turn 24. That's a big difference than if he was about to turn 28 or 29. If Carmelo was at the same stage of maturity on and off the court at that age, then that's when you'd look to deal him.

JayRedd
05-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Carmelo rebounded the ball well this year (7.4 rpg) from the SF position

He also has averaged over 9 rpg in his last nine playoff games dating back to last season.

Sure, he shot poorly this post-season, but how much can you expect from a guy who's leading a team that ran into the Lakers and the Spurs in the first round the last two years? Did we really expect series wins in either case? It's a little unfair to criticize a guy cause he couldn't get past last years Champion and this year's title favorite.

Meanwhile, he did drop 30 and 8 in Game 1 last season to beat the Spurs in San Antonio. That show a little something, even if they did lose the next four.

And, yeah, it bears repeating that isn't even 24 yet.

Mourning
05-11-2008, 08:11 AM
He also has averaged over 9 rpg in his last nine playoff games dating back to last season.

Sure, he shot poorly this post-season, but how much can you expect from a guy who's leading a team that ran into the Lakers and the Spurs in the first round the last two years? Did we really expect series wins in either case? It's a little unfair to criticize a guy cause he couldn't get past last years Champion and this year's title favorite.

Meanwhile, he did drop 30 and 8 in Game 1 last season to beat the Spurs in San Antonio. That show a little something, even if they did lose the next four.

And, yeah, it bears repeating that isn't even 24 yet.

:ding:

DgR
05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm not criticizing Melo for not beating the Lakers or the Spurs in the PO- I'm criticizing him for being the supposed leader on one of the most talented rosters in the league and not taking them anywhere. I'm sorry, but a team boasting Melo, AI, Camby, Martin, JR smith shouldn't be fighting for a PO spot-not even in the tough western. I'm not saying that's entirely Anthony's fault but he's the team leader- besides, I still firmly believe in what I posted before: he's not making the players around him better, plays horrible defense and is no leader on the court. He's deffinitely rebounding better but is averaging 2 APG for the season- hardly spectacular. Dont get me wrong, I would love to have him- but he does have a lot to work on to become a true franchise player.

JayRedd
05-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Neither Kenyon nor JR Smith are particularly good. And as much as people wanna criticize Melo's attitude and demeanor, both those dudes are bigger knuckleheads than him.

Aside from Houston minus Yao, which of the other seven Playoff teams in the West should they have been better than in the Regular Season from a talent standpoint? They have no PG and their bench is a travesty. Aside from JR, Kleiza and Najera, everyone else on that roster is literally worthless.

Also, let's bear in mind that they only finished seven games behind 1st Place LA, four games behind Northwest Champion Utah and one game back of Dallas.

This wasn't a normal season.

They weren't the Sixers limping into a 7-seed here while 26 games back or anything. I mean, they won 50 games...something, by the way, the migthy Pacers have done exactly five times since our franchise arrived in the NBA. They hit a buzzsaw is all. They win just a few more games and they have a shot against Utah or Houston.

The Nuggets, and Melo, had a fine season.

Infinite MAN_force
05-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Honestly I do not have a granger man-crush... but I would not trade him for melo.

There is something about that dude I just don't like... I just don't think he has the "intangibles" to go with his obvious talent. I would not want him on my team.

Infinite MAN_force
05-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Neither Kenyon nor JR Smith are particularly good. And as much as people wanna criticize Melo's attitude and demeanor, both those dudes are bigger knuckleheads than him.

Aside from Houston minus Yao, which of the other seven Playoff teams in the West should they have been better than in the Regular Season from a talent standpoint? They have no PG and their bench is a travesty. Aside from JR, Kleiza and Najera, everyone else on that roster is literally worthless.

Also, let's bear in mind that they only finished seven games behind 1st Place LA, four games behind Northwest Champion Utah and one game back of Dallas.

This wasn't a normal season.

They weren't the Sixers limping into a 7-seed here while 26 games back or anything. I mean, they won 50 games...something, by the way, the migthy Pacers have done exactly five times since our franchise arrived in the NBA. They hit a buzzsaw is all. They win just a few more games and they have a shot against Utah or Houston.

The Nuggets, and Melo, had a fine season.

didn't this sixers have one of the best records in the NBA from the all-star break? Can you really call that kind of turn-around "limping in". They also beat Detroit on their homecourt and pushed them to six.

Denver just absolutley folded in the playoffs, the only team to do so. They represents to me everything I don't like about the NBA, players like AI and Melo just do not appeal to me at all.

BoomBaby31
05-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Wow.

How can you trade Jesus?

JayRedd
05-11-2008, 04:17 PM
didn't this sixers have one of the best records in the NBA from the all-star break? Can you really call that kind of turn-around "limping in". They also beat Detroit on their homecourt and pushed them to six.

They had a fantastic second half. And played admirably while overmatched against MoTown. But they finished under .500. That's not a good season.

Denver, meanwhile, finished 50-32. And even Kstat would admit that LA was both better and hungrier than Detroit on Day 1 of these Playoffs.

Look, I'm not even a huge Carmelo fan. I'm really not. But the dude averaged 27.6 ppg in his last eight games before the playoffs while shooting 58% from the floor. That ab-*******-surd for a perimeter player. No what else, he shot 57.9% from three during those final eight games as well.

In three straight games that Denver needed to win to ensure Golden State didn't backdoor them into the Playoffs, he dropped 47, 38 and 36. During those three games he shot 49/72, which is a ridiculous 68% from the floor.

And guess what? They lost two of those three games.

So seriously, what more is he supposed to do to make this team win ball games? More pep talks?

Despite the perception of talent Denver just -- for whatever reason -- is not an elite team. It's a shame we haven't gotten to see them with a better surrounding cast to really prove things, but it is starting to seem (despite my vocal optimism when it began) that maybe pairing Melo and AI does not make an elite team for whatever reason. They're rather good...just not a true contender.

But you can't put all the blame on Carmelo's shoulders for that. It's partly AI's fault as well.

And waaaaay more so, it's the fault of Kiki Vanderweghe, Mark Warkentein and Sam Kroenke.

Dece
05-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Carmelo is twice the player Danny is, and will continue to get better. I'd trade Danny and our first this year for Carmelo in a blink.

DgR
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I never said Melo couldn't shoot the ball, of course he can- better than most-that's why he's considered such a good player. but there are other areas in his game where he's lacking, and with all due respect to the mighty lakers- the Nuggets didn't look like anything in that series and the talent gap between them and the Lakers isn't as big as the difference in performance we saw over the course of that series. I think Denver's roster is better than Houston's and Dallas' and at least on par with Utah, New Orleans and LA. Melo is a very good player, Denver had a good season but they're both still underachieving. of course- the western conference is hectic and Melo is not the only guy to blame, but he's the face of their franchise. He's the guy all eyes turn to when something goes wrong.

Bottom line- they were 8th seed and blown away much too easily by the Lakers in the 1st round.

skyfire
05-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Melo is one of the best offensive players in the NBA, i'd trade for him, but if you do that you have to build a team around him to minimize his weaknesses. Trading for AI was really foolish. No team is going to win in the playoffs when their two best players are both liabilities on the defensive end of the floor.

Doddage
05-12-2008, 03:46 AM
If we were to pursue him, I'd offer anything but Granger and JO since we'd need the appropriate defensive talent around him. Dun and Tins (positions of need for them), and a couple 1st round picks would be my offer. They of course wouldn't take that since Dun wouldn't be a suitable upgrade as the centerpiece and wouldn't alleviate their defensive issues.

Rajah Brown
05-12-2008, 07:13 AM
The last thing the Pacers need is a $15mil per year SF who only
plays on one end of the court and doesn't make the players
around him better.

SycamoreKen
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't like Mello's baggage, but to saying one wouldn't trade Granger for him just does no make sense. I place the blame for Denver's lack of success squarely on the shoulders of George Karl and the front office. Outside of Camby, their bigs are injury prone and mediocre and even Camby is prone to knicks and bumps. As JR said their bench is weak as well. Take Mello and AI off that team and they are as bad as any lotto team.

As for karl, that team has no offensive rythem or game plan. When i watched them against the Spurs, they always played better when Mello was more involved and they moved the ball. Of course, when you only have to guard 2 guys on the offensive end consistantly it makes it harder for both all stars.