PDA

View Full Version : Montieth gone?

Speed
05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Just read Wells' insider article and it says Montieth left the Star April 25th.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

I missed this, I guess, I heard the tail end of something about this on JMV last week, I think.

Sorry if there was a thread on here already. Not necessarily a Pacer issue, but he did cover for awhile and still did some pieces on them.

Does anyone know the details?

You can move this thread if I'm the only one who cares or who missed it.

Thanks.

MyFavMartin
05-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I really liked Montieth's articles and I'm going to miss him.

Wonder where he went?

Kegboy
05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
And yet, Monteith's bio is still next to the blog.

Anybody else reminded of The Wire?

"He left six months ago."

"Then someone should really turn off his voicemail."

PacerGuy
05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
From what I heard, it was the STAR that did not keep Montieth, not him leaving. Yet another good columinst leaving, & less & less choices for us to read. The STAR (esp. w/ sports) is becoming a very "Non-Personal/ Non-Local" oriented rag that is about to lose my subscription!
Mark did not sound as if he had another gig lined up yet (from what I heard from him on JMV), but would be (atleast for now) remaining in the area.

Naptown_Seth
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Well they'd already "demoted" him it seemed. He responded to my email about it and was positive in his response, but it did seem like he was being forced out for whatever reason.

I sure don't get it, I don't get why Mike had to come in and take over what Mark was already better at doing.

BobbyMac
05-09-2008, 03:03 PM
I would much rather have Mark than Mike.

Bball
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I sure don't get it, I don't get why Mike had to come in and take over what Mark was already better at doing.

Could it be that Mark forgot it was the Indy Star writing his check and not PS&E?

Los Angeles
05-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Well they'd already "demoted" him it seemed. He responded to my email about it and was positive in his response, but it did seem like he was being forced out for whatever reason.

While Mark clearly loved the pacers, it colored his judgment to the point that he buried more than one negative story "for the sake of the team".

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do think the team would have been better off with harder journalism. With Artest's insane behavior exposed early enough, he could have done a lot less damage to this franchise. Instead, he was given season after season of extra leash and hung himself - and the pacers with him.

Mark was so enamored with the team (and his access to the team) that he committed the worst crime in journalism: he buried a big story to protect his informants.

Roaming Gnome
05-09-2008, 07:57 PM
The thing that I will miss most about Mark Montieth was how well his beat reports were written. Often times I feel that Mike Wells tries to push an angle or opinion so much and so hard that his writing comes across as poorly written.

idioteque
05-09-2008, 08:55 PM
It's said that the state of the Pacers just seems to have passed Mark by. Back in the good old days, his upbeat reports were very appropriate as the team was very good both off and on the court most of the time. Yet he kept this upbeat feel when the media did have somewhat of a responsbility to address serious issues with the team.

Has anyone else noticed that things have just kept going to **** even worse since Mike Wells showed up? The guy is just plain bad luck it seems!

Arcadian
05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Wells likes to gossip like a girl.

Kegboy
05-10-2008, 09:19 AM
RIP :montieth:

:cry:

Unclebuck
05-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Mark is a much better writer than Mike Wells.

SycamoreKen
05-12-2008, 08:23 AM
I have no real insite since I don't read the Star, but it may have come down to $. Things are tight in the newspaper buisness, or so the local rag says every time they change things, so it may have been a money saving move.

grace
05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
If they want to save money they should get rid of that piece of :censored: :kravitz:

Naptown_Seth
05-12-2008, 12:09 PM
The thing that I will miss most about Mark Montieth was how well his beat reports were written. Often times I feel that Mike Wells tries to push an angle or opinion so much and so hard that his writing comes across as poorly written.
And what Arcadian added too. Mark wrote a great article, that's the key to me. He was way more traditional in his writing than Bob or Mike are, much closer to Dan Dunkin (and I think better than him too).

Do you know how many Colts stories were buried, how many 80s or 90s Pacers stories were buried? Of course you don't, and it doesn't matter either. In fact sometimes the "story" that gets buried is done so because a journalist with integrity and an ear for a real story realizes that what he has in front of him is a short-term gossip incident not germaine to the main picture.

Sometimes it's not PR, it's just a refusal to mud sling and gossip. Unfortunately just like some posters think we now tolerate criminal behavior, I'm certain that plenty of people do tolerate horribly low standards in journalism.

Just look at the other new guy in town and his great Harrington story or the inside contact he reported on with the IU players being booted off the team.

Will Galen
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Years ago when I was working, and before I retired to Florida, I would buy an Indianapolis Star in the morning and then on my lunch hour I would buy an Indianapolis News.

With the advent of the Internet I was a member of the Stars Pacer forum for several years. It used to be the best Pacers site on the net, now it's not even much worth mentioning.

My Star bookmark used to be first, now it's Pacer's Digest, Pacers.com, ESPN, RealGM, NBA.com, and last came the Star. The Star is pass tense because with Montieth gone I have no reason to go there, so I removed it.