PDA

View Full Version : Rumors: Can Mavs Land O'Neal?

indyblue47
05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8580

Rumors: Can Mavs Land O'Neal?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 5/7/08 3:30 PM ET

Every player has a defining moment. It's the moment when the cosmic tumblers converge in just the right way and a little light clicks on. For Jermaine O'Neal that moment came on November 19th, 2004. It was the night of the infamous brawl in Detroit.

It wasn't the brawl, exactly, that jolted Jermaine into a new state of awareness. It was going home and explaining the fight and his ensuing suspension to his young daughter . . .and then sitting at home game after game as his teammates fought on without him.

That same season (2004-05) marked the last time O'Neal was actually healthy enough to play every night. Aside from the suspension, O'Neal appeared in 44 of the 47 games he was eligible for, averaging a career-high 24.3 points and 8.9 rebounds per contest. Since then he has struggled to stay healthy or come close to averaging those same numbers, but Jermaine O'Neal is still a player with something to prove.

Pacing the sidelines and trying to make sense out of an insane situation from a coaching perspective that night in Detroit was Rick Carlisle. Carlisle, who built a championship team in Detroit and then watched as his abrupt successor got the ring - a ring that involved beating Carlisle's Pacers in a six-game second round playoff match-up.

Now the word is that Carlisle will be taking over the Dallas Mavericks, and perhaps it's time for two people who were intertwined in a bad situation to find redemption together.

Jermaine O'Neal will be dealt this summer. Count on it. The Pacers offered him around last summer, then again at the trade deadline, and they will most certainly be actively engaged in talks this summer. Mike Dunleavy's emergence has made O'Neal expendable, and the Mavericks have exactly the piece the Pacers desire.

Josh Howard will also be dealt this summer. For all of his promise as an All-Star forward, his public discussion of his marijuana use has made him an undesirable in Dallas. This is not the first time an O'Neal-for-Howard swap has been brought up and it won't be the last. This time, however, when the Pacers call the Mavericks should listen.

O'Neal represents everything that's missing in Dallas. He's a low post scoring threat who also rebounds and blocks shots. He's a force to be reckoned with in the paint - something the Mavs have been missing ever since Roy Tarpley was suspended from the NBA for drug use. O'Neal says he will be healthy next season for the first time in several years, and given a head coach who thoroughly understands his game and a point guard who can set him up brilliantly (Jason Kidd), perhaps O'Neal, Carlisle, and the Mavericks can do something special together.

The window is rapidly closing in Dallas; some say it has already slammed shut. The emergence of the Hornets in the Southwest Division has put the Mavs - and even the Spurs - in the rearview mirror and fading fast. If the Mavs are going to get a ring during the Nowitzki era, it will have to be soon. Bringing in Jermaine O'Neal would be a big first step in getting back on the championship course.

Ballerzfan
05-08-2008, 09:14 AM
With Howards recent statements, I just don't see him being one of the pieces the Pacers would want in a JO trade. Maybe if a 3rd team was involved and Howard went there, but definitely not in a team for team swap. Although.... maybe it would give Harrison a new BFF who could help him control his temper......LOL.

Phildog
05-08-2008, 09:21 AM
It's unfortunate Howard did what he did, because it may very well have been a possibility---we woudl be the most wing happy team in the league then, as if we weren't already.

Either way, I don't see it going down with Howard's comments and our suppossed new directions.

sweabs
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I have always felt that Josh Howard's game is overrated. I think that the one noticiable difference that sets him apart from some of our other forwards is his ability to drive to the rim. However, I am confident that Danny will continue to develop in this area - and truthfully, I don't see much need for him on our team. Especially if we're planning on keeping Shawne Williams and developing him.

Major Cold
05-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I really don't see Dallas shipping him out. Terry, yes. But why would they trade Howard?

dohman
05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I really don't see Dallas shipping him out. Terry, yes. But why would they trade Howard?

why would they trade a up and coming PG who loves Dallas and was playing great for a aging pg who is 3/4 of what he was 2 seasons ago.

Because they want to win now and they have a crazy idea that old vets can get them there.

If Cuban thinks something will work he will do it. Then if it doesnt work he will buy his way out of the situation. The man has enough money to do what he wants when he wants and his only passion in life is sports.

Why not make the trade if you could afford to. They need a true low post presence that can score and rebound. Could you imagine how deadly JO would be when not a single team could double team him. HELL put it this way they would even leave him OPEN to double dirk. JO could easily be back at his 25ppg there.

I also agree that Howard's numbers are overrated. They are inflated because of what I just said. He plays with a superstar who demands double teams. I still wouldn't mind him here because he is a hell of a player.

Naptown_Seth
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Mike Dunleavy's emergence has made O'Neal expendable
obviously

Major Cold
05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
JO will never reach 25 ppg. Especially on a team that already has one. Plus when JO did average 25ppg who else could score on this team?
Dirk>>>>>>>>>>Jack
Terry>Aging Miller
Stackhouse>>>>Fred Jones

Rajah Brown
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Maybe I'm just dense, but what does Dunleavy's 'emergence' have
to do with J.O. expendability or lack thereof ?

Major Cold
05-08-2008, 10:31 AM

It means we now have a frontcourt player who can block shots and rebound....Oh wait no we don't.

Scoring? Post Scoring? :confused:

Kegboy
05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
JO has made JO expendable.

That said, I certainly don't "count on" us trading JO. Especially considering he plays for LA now.

Naptown_Seth
05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Thus my sarcastic response. WTF knows, I guess scoring load maybe?

And you know now that Howard has really taken off the Magic no longer need J. Nelson.

Young
05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I just don't see how a deal would work out.

Count Kidd and Dirk out of the deal.

To match Jermaine's salary you are looking at a combination of Dampier, Terry, and Howard. No way do the Pacers want the contracts of Dampier or Terry and they can't add another swingman.

Hicks
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
If they offer Dampier and Howard, meh. If they offer Terry and Howard, I'd do it. If you can PR Spin Tinsley you can PR spin Howard's comments.

naptownmenace
05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
This is not a good fit at all. I'm still leaning towards the Pacers keeping JO at least until the trade deadline next year. When healthy he fills a huge defensive need for us.

Naptown_Seth
05-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Terry and Howard certainly help the backcourt and split that salary up. I'd listen to that, especially if bigs are slotting at #11 anyway.

Makes the pennies on the dollar for Tinsley more acceptable.

Speed
05-08-2008, 12:03 PM
obviously

Exactly, I read this 3 times and wondered what it means. What does Dun have to do with JO?

Do we consider Howard a shooting guard, a good perimeter defender, can he shoot the 3, score or create in the clutch, how old is he? He's a fit if he is those things, plus he can get reacquainted with Marquis and he can show him around town.

esabyrn333
05-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I love how every time a team gets a guy linked to the Pacers all of the sudden we are gonna trade with them. I don't want squat from Dallas I say keep JO.

The guy took the year off to get healthy and we are gonna ship him out for someone elses trash. Now I see why they guy always was rushing back from injury. Take the time to get truely healthy and everyone gets pissed and wants to ship him out for peanuts.

I say keep him unless you can get true quality for the guy that is not another PR nightmare. Just Imagine what the guy is going to be worth next offseason. With that huge expiring contract.

Speed
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I love how every time a team gets a guy linked to the Pacers all of the sudden we are gonna trade with them. I don't want squat from Dallas I say keep JO.

Ya, but Larry and him aren't buddies and they are trying to find guys to fit a mediocre at best coaches system. :rolleyes:

Bball
05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
That same season (2004-05) marked the last time O'Neal was actually healthy enough to play every night. Aside from the suspension, O'Neal appeared in 44 of the 47 games he was eligible for, averaging a career-high 24.3 points and 8.9 rebounds per contest. Since then he has struggled to stay healthy or come close to averaging those same numbers, but Jermaine O'Neal is still a player with something to prove.

Didn't JO miss a significant amount of games due to a shoulder injury that season (suffered against the Nuggets IIRC)?

I don't think the writer is taking into account that JO's original suspension was reduced (was it 35 games to 15?). JO was eligible for more than 47 games.

-Bball

Will Galen
05-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Well's writes better articles than this guy.

PaceBalls
05-08-2008, 01:20 PM
"Carlisle, who built a championship team in Detroit and then watched as his abrupt successor got the ring - a ring that involved beating Carlisle's Pacers in a six-game second round playoff match-up."

bzzzzt..
Wrong, they beat the pacers in 6 games in the ECF.

What a horrible article... if I had wrote this crap for a junior high jounalist class I would recieve a D+

Sollozzo
05-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Didn't JO miss a significant amount of games due to a shoulder injury that season (suffered against the Nuggets IIRC)?

I don't think the writer is taking into account that JO's original suspension was reduced (was it 35 games to 15?). JO was eligible for more than 47 games.

-Bball

You're right, JO was hurt against Denver and was eligible for far more than 47 games.

He played 44 total games that season, being suspended for 15. That means, by my count, that he still missed 23 games due to injury.

Those are normal JO numbers.

Major Cold
05-08-2008, 01:28 PM
:shhh: don't tell Dallas...

NuffSaid
05-08-2008, 01:29 PM

The guy took the year off to get healthy and we are gonna ship him out for someone elses trash. Now I see why they guy always was rushing back from injury. Take the time to get truely healthy and everyone gets pissed and wants to ship him out for peanuts.

I say keep him unless you can get true quality for the guy that is not another PR nightmare. Just Imagine what the guy is going to be worth next offseason. With that huge expiring contract.
I was waiting for somebody to stand up on this issue and show some support for JO! THANK YOU, esabyrn333!!

The injuries that cost JO significant playing time weren't minor knicks and dings, ala, Tinsley, i.e., sinus infection which I can sympathize with or a mere twisted ankle thought JO has had his share of those. The three seasons where he missed significant playing time involved three major injuries:

04 Mar - 17 Apr 2005, Right shoulder injury - 22 games

27Jan - 01 Apr 2006, Groin injury - 26 games

19 Jan - 31 Mar 2008, Left knee injury - 33 straignt games*

(* JO's knee injury actually flared up on 9 February 2007. He would be in and out of the lineup throughout the rest of the '06-07 season and then had surgery to repair his torn meniscus only to bruise it while attempting to return too soon from surgery. This miscue would eventually force him to sit out 33 straight games as indicated above. See this link for details on JO's injury history (http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/basketball/player.cgi?0278) since 01 Nov 2004 before the Brawl.)

I'm no doctor nor an I a physical theropist, but I seriously doubt JO's major injuries were the result of his body breaking down. Look at his injury history!!

Minor injuries include:

Sprained ankle - 3 games

Pneumonia - 3 games

Pulled Hamstring - 3 games

Foot injury - 2 games

The rest were major injuries; no way can you adequately condition your body for those types of injuries!

Now, here's the flipside...

It's true that between the 2000-2001 season and the 2003-2004 season, JO rarely had a summer off. For three years he played during the NBA's regular seaon (and post-season) and over each summer he participated in some form of U.S. sponsored basketball event (which ultimately led him qualifying for the USA Men's basketball Olympic team in 2003 (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/oneal_usa_030902.html) which he had to drop out of due to a knee injury (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2004/06/03/wallace040603.html) even then). So, one could use the "wear and tear" argument and there probably been some validity to it. After all, JO was genuinely "injury-free" since coming to the Pacers up until the 2004-2005 season. But when you look at his injuries since then, other than the occasional sprained ankle or pulled hammy there's nothing there that signifies to me his injuries were the result of poor conditioning. IMO, of all his major injuries, the torn meniscus is the only one that could be directly attritubuted to sports related "wear and tear". All others I view as happenstance, i.e., he took a hard/flarant foul or something tore or ruptured that couldn't be seen through routine medical screening. Even the most fit athlets (football players or pro runners) have pulled a groin or a hammy. Thus, I don't see where there could have been anything JO or his physical trainer could have done to prevent those such injuries including the torn meniscus.

My vote remains to retain him and until he shows himself unworthy, JO will continue to have my support.

Major Cold
05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
If you don't believe that JO is injury prone then can I sell you some diamonds.

grace
05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
JO and Rick got along so well here I'm sure they'd love to work together again. (Yes, that was laced with sarcasm.)

d_c
05-08-2008, 01:41 PM
This isn't a rumor. It's a question posed by the writer and I would have to say the answer is NO.

Both teams are over the cap and salaries would need to match, which means Dallas would be forking over a lot of undesirable salary to the Pacers in the form of Dampier and Terry.

Not happening.

MyFavMartin
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
This isn't a rumor. It's a question posed by the writer and I would have to say the answer is NO.

Both teams are over the cap and salaries would need to match, which means Dallas would be forking over a lot of undesirable salary to the Pacers in the form of Dampier and Terry.

Not happening.

Yes and they don't have any first rounders to trade til 2012. So, yes, no trade with Dallas unless a 3rd team gets involved and takes Dallas' substandard players and sends us what we want and need.

Trader Joe
05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
So I see him explain why Dallas does the trade, but I never see him explain why we do the trade?

MyFavMartin
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Teams that I could see taking on RJeff:

Utah - trades AK

Dallas - Why? Cause Stackhouse is stupid.

LA Clippers - Maggette Insurance - Becomes a FA this summer or next. RJ moves to SG and Thornton moves into the 3 spot.

Milwaukee- Simmons health issues

Sacramento - Artest, similar to Maggette, can walk soon

d_c
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
So I see him explain why Dallas does the trade, but I never see him explain why we do the trade?

NBA reporting is all about fluff pieces and this is a good example. They want to report what's compelling 1st and objectivity comes a distant 2nd.

In this case, O'neal possibly going to Dallas to push them over the hump sounds compelling. People like hearing that. They like reading this stuff.

What people don't really care to read about is the objective stuff. Things like salaries matching, expiring contracts, whether or not a team (like the Pacers) wants to take back long term contracts coming back the other way, BYC, the luxury tax, etc......you know, the stuff that actually matters.

That stuff is what really matters but it bores most readers so they'd rather not write about it.

JayRedd
05-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Maybe I'm just dense, but what does Dunleavy's 'emergence' have to do with J.O. expendability or lack thereof ?

Absolutely nothing, as others have said.

It just goes to show how little this writer knows about our team.

We (A) would not want Howard given that our two best players are SFs, (B) would not want Howard for PR reasons, and (C) couldn't make the salaries work without taking back a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible contract.

Not feasible. Not happening.

CableKC
05-08-2008, 02:40 PM
The apparent emergance of Dunleavy has only reduced the need to have so many SFs in the rotation. If anything, Shawne and ( to a far lesser degree ) Granger could be considered expendable.

The only part of JONeal's game that Dunleavy's emergance has made expendable is the need to heavily rely on JONeal to be a consistent 1st/2nd Scoring option.......Dunleavy isn't going to replace the rebounding and defense that JONeal provides....when and if he is healthy.

This article looks more like one of those suggestions from writers to move their "bad apples" for "one of our better trading assets that we have that has low trade value. I have no idea why we would want to continue adding SFs to our lineup. If we didn't have Granger...much less Dunleavy or Shawne....then I can see making a move for Josh Howard make sense.

But looking at the Mavs lineup....ignoring that I have no clue how we would get rid of Tinsley......the only players that I would want from their lineup that remotely makes any sense for what we are trying to do is to make a trade involving JONeal and Jason Terry. He's expensive....but he's the perfect quick combo-guard that I think that JO'B loves to play.

Question though.....I am assuming that Howard is a SF....but Hoopshype lists him as a SG....is that even accurate? I don't get the sense that he would be quick enough to guard smaller and quicker SGs.

PR07
05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I was under the impression that Josh Howard is more of a 2 than 3, and that he played a lot of 3 just because Jason Terry would play a lot of 2.

d_c
05-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I was under the impression that Josh Howard is more of a 2 than 3, and that he played a lot of 3 just because Jason Terry would play a lot of 2.

Howard is a 3 and that's what he's spent his career as. He doesn't really have the lateral quickness to defend the best 2s, which Mavs fans have noted.

CableKC
05-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Is Dampier's contract pretty much considered an Expiring Contract after the 2009-2010 season if the $13mil that he is owed in 2010-2011 is "partially unguaranteed"?

Can Dampier's contract somehow come off the books after the 2009-2010 season?

OakMoses
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Howard is a 3 and that's what he's spent his career as. He doesn't really have the lateral quickness to defend the best 2s, which Mavs fans have noted.

While I agree with the above, Howard is a better fit at the 2 than either Dun or Granger.

d_c
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Is Dampier's contract pretty much considered an Expiring Contract after the 2009-2010 season if the $13mil that he is owed in 2010-2011 is "partially unguaranteed"?

No. Partially unguaranteed means the same thing as partially guaranteed.

If $7M of that is unguranteed, then $6M is guaranteed. I don't know the exact numbers.

croz24
05-08-2008, 04:05 PM
dallas would be a HORRIBLE trade partner for us...

Erik
05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
O'Neal represents everything that's missing in Dallas. He's a low post scoring threat who also rebounds and blocks shots. He's a force to be reckoned with in the paint - something the Mavs have been missing
We can feel their pain.
O'Neal says he will be healthy next season for the first time in several years:devil:

Evan_The_Dude
05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I suggested J.O. to Dallas months ago with a few of the same players mentioned here involved. Of course, my proposed deal wouldn't help us as much now as it would have then because they no longer have Devin Harris. I say they made a mistake by getting Kidd instead of taking a chance on a post presence in O'Neal.

http://http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=36820

PacerGuy
05-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Move Howard to Portland for their pick, Jack, & Filler. They need a SF, & Howard can fill that role for them. We get a pick & a PG.

rexnom
05-08-2008, 07:32 PM
LOOOOVE this article. I just hope GMs have the same perception about JO.

BlueNGold
05-08-2008, 08:06 PM
[quote=UncleWTF;715243
What a horrible article... if I had wrote this crap for a junior high jounalist class I would recieve a D+[/quote]

Wells is boring and perhaps below average, but this guy makes him look great. Almost everything in the article is wrong...one of the worst articles I have seen.

Nothing about Dunleavy replaces what JO brings to the table. JO brings great defense and shotblocking. Otherwise, he is quite average on one leg. Whatever offense he brings can be done just as efficiently by nearly anyone on the team. Mike brings efficient offense and perimeter shooting. There is almost nothing about their games that are similar.

Also, the idea we might acquire another SF with a muddied public image is the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. Howard is a good player, but Granger is in the same vicinity. They both should be playing SF. I fail to see the reason to have 7 SF's, 3 or 4 starter quality on the team...and where half the payroll is going to that position. I rarely if ever use the term, but this is just stupid.

Will Galen
05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Move Howard to Portland for their pick, Jack, & Filler. They need a SF, & Howard can fill that role for them. We get a pick & a PG.

Portland isn't wanting pot users. Probably less so than the Pacers since they've turned their team around, and wouldn't want their young guys contaminated.

PacerGuy
05-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Portland isn't wanting pot users. Probably less so than the Pacers since they've turned their team around, and wouldn't want their young guys contaminated.

That, or....
They might feel their core is strong enough that the sum of the whole can help change/ influence the individual in Howard. If they felt his skill set was the missing piece, & what they had to give up to get him was low, they would (IMO) do a deal for him.

Oneal07
05-08-2008, 11:29 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8580

Rumors: Can Mavs Land O'Neal?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 5/7/08 3:30 PM ET

Every player has a defining moment. It's the moment when the cosmic tumblers converge in just the right way and a little light clicks on. For Jermaine O'Neal that moment came on November 19th, 2004. It was the night of the infamous brawl in Detroit.

It wasn't the brawl, exactly, that jolted Jermaine into a new state of awareness. It was going home and explaining the fight and his ensuing suspension to his young daughter . . .and then sitting at home game after game as his teammates fought on without him.

Pacing the sidelines and trying to make sense out of an insane situation from a coaching perspective that night in Detroit was Rick Carlisle. Carlisle, who built a championship team in Detroit and then watched as his abrupt successor got the ring - a ring that involved beating Carlisle's Pacers in a six-game second round playoff match-up.

Now the word is that Carlisle will be taking over the Dallas Mavericks, and perhaps it's time for two people who were intertwined in a bad situation to find redemption together.

Jermaine O'Neal will be dealt this summer. Count on it. The Pacers offered him around last summer, then again at the trade deadline, and they will most certainly be actively engaged in talks this summer. Mike Dunleavy's emergence has made O'Neal expendable, and the Mavericks have exactly the piece the Pacers desire.

Two different players, two different positions, I just don't believe this statement is true at all. Maybe if they were talking about Harrison then I'd beg to differ.

And to get a guy like Josh Howard, your still gonna need a big man who can play inside.

tdubb03
05-09-2008, 04:31 AM
So we disagree with the article stating Dunleavy makes JO expendable right?

aero
05-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Dirk or bust...

Kegboy
05-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Conrad has lost his flippin' mind:

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=570008145

It would make more sense, in fact, for the Mavs to offer Dampier and Terry, which actually might constitute a more tempting package for the Pacers.

Remaining Salaries, according to Hoopshype:

JO - 21.3, 23.0
Dampier - 9.5, 10.1, 13.0
Terry - 9.0, 9.8, 10.6, 11.4

:puke: :puke: :puke:

Anthem
05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, kill me if we take Terry back.

I really don't think Dallas is an option.

OakMoses
05-09-2008, 10:08 AM

After having been raised in the suburbs of Indianapolis and going to college in the suburbs of Portland, I can tell you that they are two very different fanbases. I don't see Oregonians being nearly as upset about bringing in a guy who admits to smoking pot, as long as he's basically a good guy. Randolph and Wallace were run out of town because they weren't "good guys".

Also, Portland doesn't have the attendance issues that Indy does, so they're in much better position to take a risk on a guy like Howard.

Speed
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Conrad has lost his flippin' mind:

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=570008145

Remaining Salaries, according to Hoopshype:

JO - 21.3, 23.0
Dampier - 9.5, 10.1, 13.0
Terry - 9.0, 9.8, 10.6, 11.4

:puke: :puke: :puke:

They will be or are 33 and 31 this year too. Dampier will be 35 in the last year of that contract and Terry 34. What a great icon!! :puke::puke::puke::puke:

Major Cold
05-09-2008, 10:49 AM
If we trade to get anyone on Dallas I would not be happy.

What teams have a chance to make a splash next year, and willing to give up an expiring and pick/prospect?

Kegboy
05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
If we trade to get anyone on Dallas I would not be happy.

What teams have a chance to make a splash next year, and willing to give up an expiring and pick/prospect?

Cleveland - Wally $13, Snow $7
Denver - AI $21
Clippers - Brand $16, Maggette $8
Lakers - Odom $14
Miami - Marion $17
New York - Marbury $21
Portland - LaFrentz $12

Not saying any would be interested, but these are expirings that caught my eye.

Major Cold
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Cleveland-no prospects or picks
Denver-no AI please
Clippers- Maggette and pick with filler?
Lakers-Bynum/Gasol=no need for JO
Miami- Would the heat do it?
NYK-:deadhorse:
Portland: no need for him with Oden/Aldridge/Frye/Pryzy

Speed
05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Denver - AI $21
Clippers - Brand $16, Maggette $8
Lakers - Odom $14
Miami - Marion $17
New York - Marbury $21
Portland - LaFrentz $12

Not saying any would be interested, but these are expirings that caught my eye.

Good list!!!

It would be interesting to get a contract year Marbury as long as you KNOW you aren't going to keep him. Just a thought, I can think of about half a dozen arguments why it'd never happen, but its May.

Portland would have no reason for JO.

Miami would kinda make sense to match JO up with D Wade. Marion played PF basically at Phoenix and could in Obies system.

Clippers, your injury prone players for ours, maybe.

Denver, this actually makes sense for Denver, but I'm not sure AI would even show up.

Odom is better/healthier than JO at this point, so is Pau.

------
I pick this one:

Wally and Snow and a first round pick I think you'd have a done deal. I think Mike Brown would do it and I think it would really make a difference for them.

I don't think it's too much to give for Cleveland and I think its enough to get at this point, if you trade him now.

Snow can mentor Westbrook who is picked at 11 and be a lockeroom veteran prescence, Wally can shoot the 3 every time he touches it, which is apparently the offense.

(Most importantly, Cleveland has the 19th pick this year, right in that CDR, Robin Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, Mario Chalmers range, I'd even look at DJ White there, it would be early, but if he turns into Carl Landry)

Naptown_Seth
05-09-2008, 12:37 PM
The only thing with taking White there or any player that does turn out to be good is that you still overpaid.

Get that pick, trade down to where White will still be on the board, get him plus whatever you got for the trade down. Doesn't change his chance to pull a Landry.

There is only 1 risk there and that's that another team has him at a high value, will take him for sure and will have zero interest in dealing for him, even for what you got with the higher #19 pick.

grace
05-09-2008, 12:43 PM

That one might acutally get me to go to a game.