PDA

View Full Version : David Morway is the new Pacers GM

Hicks
05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks to Cherokee for posting this in another thread!

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52379/20080507/david_morway_named_gm_of_the_pacers/

Press Release -
The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday that David Morway has been promoted to General Manager of the team.

Morway, who has been with the Pacers 10 years, has been serving as Senior Vice President/Basketball Operations for the team, overseeing the day-to-day operation and administration of the Basketball Division. As General Manager, he will retain his current duties and will assume additional responsibilities of overseeing salary cap issues as well as assisting Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird with all personnel decisions.

“I’m very happy to have David by my side,” said Bird. “This newly-expanded role maximizes David’s skills and experience and I’m confident we have the knowledge and resources to get the Pacers to the level we expect, our owners expect and our fans expect.”

Added Morway, “This is a great opportunity and a dream come true for myself and my family. I’ve enjoyed working with Larry for the last five years and I’m looking forward to continuing this relationship. Having been with the franchise for 10 years I know what the expectations are and what the Pacers mean to the city and the state. I can promise that we will work diligently to help fulfill those expectations. I’m excited about the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead for us.”

-------------------------------

Fine by me. It'd seem wrong to not at least offer it to him. I know he's the reason we got the trade exception/exemption for Peja (now what we DID with it.....).

SoupIsGood
05-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I like this.

:)

duke dynamite
05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
LB now had a Padawan.

idioteque
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
So explain me who gets dibs on decisionmaking..it goes Simon, Bird, Morway, correct?

Hicks
05-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I think Bird's supposed to lead the decison making, but Simon will be involved and can veto, while Morway will probably do most of the paperwork and phone calls.

madison
05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.

Hicks
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same. Don't expect anything other than an overpaid team staffed with below average talent. We haven't been competitive for a divisional title in several years, aren't competitive with the current roster and won't be competitive in the future as long as the current management group is making the decisions. This announcement means nothing.

In other news, everyone dies one day.

rock747
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I wonder how much this really means? Bird really still has the ultimate control.

QuickRelease
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM

I disagree. The Pacers are getting their house in order. Until that was done, the disarray would have continued here.

rexnom
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Thank God. This is what should have been done five years ago.

Isaac
05-07-2008, 06:07 PM

We've been in the playoffs 17 times in the last 20 years with two sub-par years in a row. I don't get where you think this is a flawed franchise. Up untill these last two seasons we were the second most consistent team in recent history behind San Antonio.

Will Galen
05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
We've been in the playoffs 17 times in the last 20 years with two sub-par years in a row. I don't get where you think this is a flawed franchise. Up untill these last two seasons we were the second most consistent team in recent history behind San Antonio.

He's got, 'What have you done for me lately syndrome.'

Roaming Gnome
05-07-2008, 06:20 PM
He's got, 'What have you done for me lately syndrome.'

I couldn't agree more. By some of the talk around the forum the last year or so, It would sound like the Pacers have the same long term track record of the Clippers or Hawks.

Lord Helmet
05-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I couldn't agree more. By some of the talk around the forum the last year or so, It would sound like the Pacers have the same long term track record of the Clippers or Hawks.
Please excuse me.

We're DOOMED.

OK, I'm done.

Kegboy
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM

You can say that again.

CableKC
05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I disagree.......unless Morway received a significantly huge pay increase that equals the cost to hire a totally new GM....it looks like he'll be doing what he used to do...while doing the GM work as well.

The way I look at it....the Pacers got a new GM by doing it the old-fashioned way.....by being cheapskates when finding a GM....they hired from within.......gave more work for Morway to do ( his new GM duties ) on top of whatever he was doing before.....and in the process....saved a boatload of $$$ that would have added to the Operating Cost of the Franchise.

d_c
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I wonder how much this really means? Bird really still has the ultimate control.

All it really means is that David Morway got a pay raise.

Kegboy
05-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Btw, I call dibs on the following:

- "If it's a good move, it's Morway; if it's bad, it's Larry."

-"Larry has final say, so it's ultimately his fault."

- "Larry gave Morway the job, so he's as much to blame, if not more so."

:devil:

Arcadian
05-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Does this mean Morway is the adult Boomer now?

I think it is just a title change. In fact I believe that when Simon announced the new responsibility list he mention Morway would take care of the legal and contract aspects.

Anthem
05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
You can say that again.
Agree. But I'm not sure why we need Larry Bird. We have an active owner and a GM... what's Larry's job again?

Wasn't our problem that we had too many cooks?

JayRedd
05-07-2008, 07:27 PM

d_c
05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I disagree.......unless Morway received a significantly huge pay increase that equals the cost to hire a totally new GM....it looks like he'll be doing what he used to do...while doing the GM work as well.

The way I look at it....the Pacers got a new GM by doing it the old-fashioned way.....by being cheapskates when finding a GM....they hired from within.......gave more work for Morway to do ( his new GM duties ) on top of whatever he was doing before.....and in the process....saved a boatload of $$$ that would have added to the Operating Cost of the Franchise.

Yep.

That's basically it. The Warriors did a somewhat similar thing. Mullin has long been VP of BBall operations or whatever you want to call it. Basically he's what Bird is.

Rod Higgins was GM (or what Morway is as of today). Then during last summer, Higgins took off to Charlotte to work for his good buddy MJ.

What do the Warriors do? They don't hire anyone in the summer initially. Then in August, they promote Pete D’Alessandro from Director of Basketball Ops to Assistant GM. And make note of the word "Assistant". That word in the title probably saves the owner some money. As far as titles go, the Warriors don't even have a "full" GM.

So Morway probably does a few new things on top of what he's already been doing and gets a pay raise for it. And it probably saves the Simons some $ from having to hire a totally new GM on top of still having Morway. Like you said, hiring/promoting from within saves $.

Anthem
05-07-2008, 08:14 PM
So Morway probably does a few new things on top of what he's already been doing and gets a pay raise for it. And it probably saves the Simons some $ from having to hire a totally new GM on top of still having Morway. Like you said, hiring/promoting from within saves $.
Why hire at all? Am I the only one stuck on this?

NuffSaid
05-07-2008, 08:15 PM
So explain me who gets dibs on decisionmaking..it goes Simon, Bird, Morway, correct?

I think Bird's supposed to lead the decison making, but Simon will be involved and can veto, while Morway will probably do most of the paperwork and phone calls.
What? :confused:

I thought the whole purpose for Herb Simon taking over Donnie Walsh's old job was so that Herb would be more involved with Pacers basketball operations and policies and be the ultimate decision maker. Moreover, wasn't one of the primary reasons behind Walsh leaving was to clarify Bird's role as the "go-to-guy" concerning all things basketball as they relate to the Pacers? I mean, what's the point of promoting Morway to GM if essentially Bird is the "GM", i.e., Pres. of Basketball Operations (PBO). Can somebody - anybody - explain to be what's the difference between these two titles - PBO -vs- GM - within the Pacers' organization? Because I just don't get it...:confused:

Nope. I'm just as confused as you are, my friend.

I can understand the cost savings measure by hiring from within, but if Morway will continuing to perform essentially the same duties as he did before his so-called "promotion", why not merely change his job description, give him a slight pay increase and leave it at that? From my perspective which apparently is shared by a few others, this move makes no sense. By most poster's account, Morway will basically be Bird's errand boy/consultant, but that's only an internal perspective. Externally, GM and PBO could be construed as the same thing which would once again lend itself to the same level of confusion other team GM's had when Walsh was here, i.e., do I talk to Bird about this or Walsh? Only now it's "do I talk to Bird or Morway".

Edit: This link to the updated press release (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/080507_morway_gm.html) clarifies things alittle. Basically, Morway will be Bird's "legal beagle". He'll review player contracts to ensure they're on the up-and-up, i.e, ensure they're in the Pacers' best interest and that they don't "over-extend" the team so that they won't have any repeats of "bloated" contracts that make it difficult to move players when they want (that's my read of his revised duties anyway). Now, Morway's promotion makes more sense.

Arcadian
05-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Because there are things aside from speaking proper English Larry cannot do.

Speed
05-07-2008, 08:23 PM

You can say that again.

Putnam
05-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Promoting from within a flawed franchise means more of the same.

Promoting Grant over Halleck's and McClellan's flawed systems transformed the Union Army in 1863.

Promoting Hal Yeaggy to run his old dad's bar changed the Slippery Noodle from a little-know lunch pub to one of the city's best downtown venues.

Jimmy Irsay has brought an NFL championship to Indianapolis -- which his father never did.

I'm sure there are many instance where internal promotion worked out well.

Let's give Morway a chance.

Smoothdave1
05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Here's basically a summary of the Pacers management and the roles:

-- Herb Simon -- ultimate call on player moves, trades, contracts, draft picks, etc.

-- Jim Morris -- Runs the day to day operations of Pacers, Fever and Fieldhouse. Will be used for drumming up corporate support, marketing and public relations for Pacers Ent.

-- Larry Bird -- basketball talent evaluator, Pacers official who is most prominent and manages player decisions

-- David Morway -- handles contracts, negotiations, provides input on basketball decisions, etc.

grace
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Why hire at all?

Because they were afraid he'd go with Walsh to NY.

Anthem
05-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Because there are things aside from speaking proper English Larry cannot do.
Then what good is he? He has a terrible eye for talent, nobody in the league wants to talk to him, he can't handle the nuts and bolts of day-to-day operation, and he's unable to handle the business end?

EDIT: I'm happy we kept Morway... I think grace is right that we did this to keep him. But would we be any worse off with Bird out entirely?

Arcadian
05-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree. I don't see the point of hiring a guy who can't do many of the aspects of the job when he isn't exceptional another part of the job. Kind of like having 2 place kickers when the guy kicking field goals has a 30 yard range.

idioteque
05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
But would we be any worse off with Bird out entirely?

Not at all. I am hoping that this makes Bird the real adult Boomer and he just signs off on the decisions that Morway makes. I think Morway is most likely a much better communicator and negotiator than Bird. Yes, that means I think Bird can't speak properly and isn't really that smart.

Major Cold
05-07-2008, 10:57 PM
The dude is good. He was considered for the Cavs job in 05 and many thought would take the same position with Donnie.

Seems like people just want to moan without knowing who he really is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080404

BlueNGold
05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Then what good is he? He has a terrible eye for talent, nobody in the league wants to talk to him, he can't handle the nuts and bolts of day-to-day operation, and he's unable to handle the business end?

EDIT: I'm happy we kept Morway... I think grace is right that we did this to keep him. But would we be any worse off with Bird out entirely?

I suspect Bird is just another Zeke when it comes to making the right basketball decisions. There have been numerous statements from the Legend over the last several years that have not only been poorly articulated but poorly thought out.

I know many are not big Walsh fans here, but it scares me that Bird is going up against the likes of Donnie. :eek:

SoupIsGood
05-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying. I think Morway will eventually replace Bird in responsiblities, if not title.

Kegboy
05-07-2008, 11:51 PM

You're preaching to the choir. But I'll take what I can get.

As for why we do this, yes, keeping him in the stable is part of it. But the GM tag seems like a big old signpost to the rest of the league that says, "Yes, it's alright to call him if you aren't comfortable with Larry."

grace
05-07-2008, 11:54 PM

First of all I'm thinking of putting that "grace is right" thing in my sig. Secondly I don't think the Pacers would be any worse off, but then I think Larry has the intelligence of a cantaloupe.

tdubb03
05-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Looks to me as though Morway is going to be Bird's voice by proxy.

wintermute
05-08-2008, 12:16 AM
if we really must have another gm in addition to bird, i had hoped we'd bring in fresh blood from the outside.

giving morway the gm title is interesting too though - one, the simons think highly enough of morway to want to retain him, and two, this move positions him as bird's potential successor.

anthem's question is very much to the point. what the heck does bird do? other than scouting and making pr appearances, bird doesn't seem to be very involved. a hands off gm if you will.

Isaac
05-08-2008, 01:47 AM
This move pretty clearly indicates that the Simon's don't trust Bird one bit. They had some quote earlier in the offseason that really made me realize they don't trust Bird, and I expected something like this to happen.

Now I'm thinking that Mel is only keeping Bird around as the face of the Pacers in a sense. I think Larry probably doesn't even really know what his job is here. I think he's just here to bring a sense of Indiana basketball tradition back to the Pacers.

I could care less who's pulling the strings if we start to improve as a basketball team. I was willing to give Larry a clean slate because we don't really know what he has or hasn't done. Now we still won't. Sarunas is the only guy I think we can for sure attribute to Larry.

Hicks
05-08-2008, 01:59 AM
What does Donnie do in New York? I mean he's trying to hire a GM, so......?

rexnom
05-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Would it make everyone feel better if we called Bird the GM and Morway assistant GM?

Kraft
05-08-2008, 03:13 AM
I think the biggest problem with this whole thing is that it simply continues to confuse the average fan about who's in charge.

We all know Bird has the first and last say. He should be the fall guy in our minds. But when Morway comes out with some announcement because Bird's out of town, it just murks up the whole bit.

Speed
05-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Is Morway going to be working the phone for trades or is he a consultant that let's Bird know if trades work within the cap?

Morway really knows what he is doing or at least how to finesse the system.

He gets credit for the Peja move which was genius in ideation, although it didn't work out personell wise.

That move acutally may be a sad microcosm of what you get. Morway makes this awesome savvy move to get a trade exception for Peja. Bird turns it into a lost 1st round pick and Al Harrington....

What I hope is that Morway gets on the phone with these other GMs and does the dance.

NOT Bird who sounds impatient, bothered, and rigid. Then Bird can sit in the ivory tower and put his stamp on it or not, then it can go to Simon for final approval. If it works this way, I suppose it works.

I do not want Bird on the phone with Donnie or Colangelo trying to work out a deal.

I want Bird to say to Morway, see what the asking price is for Jarret Jack or Lowry and get back to me with whats on the table.

I mean, I'll echo what many are saying, I wish I could be paid 5 million a year to make other people do my job, too, but at some point the company may wonder what I actually do.

Speed
05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Would it make everyone feel better if we called Bird the GM and Morway assistant GM?

I'm not sure thats the case though, at least not in a traditional way. I think Bird is the inbetween decider and talent evaluator. He's like a 5 million a year head of scouting with some juice, from what I can tell.

For what its worth, I was for Morway getting the job all along. I think he understands the NBA and the business end of it.

wintermute
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
What does Donnie do in New York? I mean he's trying to hire a GM, so......?

well, i'm not a fan of having too many layers of management. i think a chief executive who's too far removed from day to day operations will not have the right sense of what's going on in his own organization. maybe it frees him up to concentrate more on the external world (other teams, prospects, etc) but still i feel that the executive's priority should be his own people.

with a guy like donnie walsh or jerry west, they've sort of earned the privilege to cut back on certain duties and just concentrate on doing what they're best at. it's still not an ideal situation (imo), but those guys are experienced enough to deal with it. health might also be a necessary consideration.

i understand that larry is trying to set up a similar sort of situation to when he was coach before, where he's surrounded by capable people like morway and he just needs to make executive decisions. maybe it will all work out. but i worry about having too many chiefs.

but you see, we had already have that situation. morway was already taking care of day to day operations. the additional responsibility that came with his gm title is the salary cap situation, but we already knew that morway had input there.

so why the gm title? just to keep another team from pirating him? maybe. but intentionally or not, it also sends the signal that morway is capable of running the team.

Naptown_Seth
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree, and as I asked in the Tins thread which has this blurb about Morway at the bottom, what exactly is Bird doing?

Final say - Simon has said this is now his role
Financial working of deals and contracts, cap maintenance - Morway
Player evaluation, day to day scouting - scouts, and maybe GM, per the report that the Pacers were looking for a GM to relieve Bird of some of these duties.

I mean didn't several of us even wonder back then if Morway was staying based on this GM seach story? There was a bit of "what's left to be done if someone is taking on that role".

Larry needing to be freed from scouting, etc to do true GM work I get, but then needing a GM to do the financial GM work and having the owner stepping in as the final say leaves very little working room for LB.

Of course BFA does pay well.

Naptown_Seth
05-08-2008, 10:20 AM
The dude is good. He was considered for the Cavs job in 05 and many thought would take the same position with Donnie.

Seems like people just want to moan without knowing who he really is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080404
What? Are people moaning about Morway? I think nearly everyone did a :dance:on Morway getting this role officially. I think everyone is comfortable with every aspect of TPTB right now except Larry. That's the little toe that many people question the need for, just as Anthem did.

But the GM tag seems like a big old signpost to the rest of the league that says, "Yes, it's alright to call him if you aren't comfortable with Larry."
You say this as though it were a bad thing. ;)

Major Cold
05-08-2008, 10:24 AM

This

Please excuse me.

We're DOOMED.

OK, I'm done.

That

And Anthem...

Maybe I am being negative towards negativity.

Hicks
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Helmet is joking.

Since86
05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
My God, I think at this time TPTB could come out and announce that the sky is blue and this forum would rip them apart for not calling it perrywinkle.

grace
05-08-2008, 01:41 PM
My God, I think at this time TPTB could come out and announce that the sky is blue and this forum would rip them apart for not calling it perrywinkle.

Well, it is the off season. What else would you expect? We all can't be counters.

QuickRelease
05-08-2008, 02:28 PM

Why do you feel Larry is a terrbile talent evaluator? I disagree with that statement, simply because I don't think he's been at the sole helm long enough for it to be a fair assessment. Runi and James White are both relatively minor transactions, and hardly enough to deem someone a horrible talent evaluator. If that claim is made in light of the Golden State trade, I don't think that's fair either. JAX had worn out his welcome, and Al did not fit with JO. And Al is so inconsistent, I wasn't too sad to see him go anyway. I think Larry evaluates talent just fine. My favorite example is when everyone thought Larry was maneuvering to get Luke Jackson (who's been a real bust), when his real target was Ben Gordon (who's turned out just fine). Danny Granger is widely seen to have been a no-brainer pick, but I don't believe a "poor talent evaluator" recognizes "no-brainers." The Pacers have been one of the better drafting teams. Lorbek and Stanko are 2nd round European projects, so we'll see how they pan out. But 2nd round picks are more of a crap shoot than anything.

NuffSaid
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Why do you feel Larry is a terrbile talent evaluator? I disagree with that statement, simply because I don't think he's been at the sole helm long enough for it to be a fair assessment. Runi and James White are both relatively minor transactions, and hardly enough to deem someone a horrible talent evaluator.
I think Runi was brought in to help foster a winning attitude more than anything else. It backfired because he wasn't seeing significant playing time. Still, I believe that had he come here under JOB vice RC, he would have seen alot more playing time because of his ability to push the tempo.

Runi because a Pacer one season too soon. :(

Major Cold
05-08-2008, 05:47 PM
We need girls to be counters. Soften the Canadians up.

JayRedd
05-08-2008, 07:17 PM
We all can't be counters.

If you'd stop ignoring half of us you could.

grace
05-08-2008, 07:43 PM
If you'd stop ignoring half of us you could.

My brother would never speak to me again if I became a counter. It's all about family harmony.

Anthem
05-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Why do you feel Larry is a terrbile talent evaluator?
Well, let's see...

Runi and James White are both relatively minor transactions
James White? The guy we gave up three draft picks for and then cut? The guy Bird said he would have been happy to draft at #17?

And Runi... don't get me started on Runi. Touted as the MJ of Europe, and he's a downgrade from Travis Diener. The one good thing about the GS trade was getting rid of him.

My favorite example is when everyone thought Larry was maneuvering to get Luke Jackson (who's been a real bust), when his real target was Ben Gordon (who's turned out just fine).
Luke broke his back, which kind of excuses the bust thing a little. Ben Gordon is a tweener one-way prima donna. Plus he's greedy and thinks too highly of himself. No thanks to either one.

Lorbek and Stanko are 2nd round European projects, so we'll see how they pan out. But 2nd round picks are more of a crap shoot than anything.
There were plenty of guys available in the Lorbek draft that people on here were crying for. And Stanko? Seriously? If we didn't think he'd be any good, we shouldn't have traded to get that pick.

Plus we're talking about a guy who thinks that Kareem Rush is "one of the best shooters in the league" and who thinks Diener (Mr. 31.8%) is a shooter like Mark Price.

Or the fact that he goes out and gets three small forwards and says they're the core of the team... despite the fact that it's difficult to play three small forwards at a time.

Other than drafting Granger, who I contend was a no-brainer, what's one talent call he's made that you've been impressed with?

Anthem
05-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I think Runi was brought in to help foster a winning attitude more than anything else. It backfired because he wasn't good enough to get on the court.
Fixed.

Still, I believe that had he come here under JOB vice RC, he would have seen alot more playing time because of his ability to push the tempo.
Yeah, too bad he couldn't have played on a team that pushed the tempo, shot the three, and didn't care about defense. Somebody like the Donnie Nelson's Golden State Wa... oh wait.

There's a reason he's not in the league this year. It's because he's not good enough. He got his shot and failed.

Anthem
05-08-2008, 11:26 PM
That

And Anthem...
Then you didn't read my post. I'm not complaining about Morway. Like I said, I'm glad he's here.

Anthem
05-08-2008, 11:28 PM
As for why we do this, yes, keeping him in the stable is part of it. But the GM tag seems like a big old signpost to the rest of the league that says, "Yes, it's alright to call him if you aren't comfortable with Larry."
Actually... that's a really good point.

And a really savvy move by the Simons.

A little hope just entered my soul.

Naptown_Seth
05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
We need girls to be counters. Soften the Canadians up.
I thought that's what the liquored up moose were for.
"How you doing, eh?" *

Anthem just went on a Nap-like 4 post in a row rant. Beautiful. :happydanc

* Most Offensive 2009

madison
05-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Anthem gets my vote. Larry Bird does not have an especially keen eye for basketball talent. You would think so -- Donnie thought so when he hired him -- but sadly, it didn't turn out that way. I'm convinced that the Harrington trade, Runi hire, etc. White-at-17 screwups were partially if not entirely attributable to Bird. When Donnie had undisputed control, there were many brilliant personnel moves and few mishaps. When Bird arrived, there were as series of one 'alpha sierras' (aww sh-ts). As long as Larry's in-charge of personnel decisions, this team will not improve to the point of competing for an EC title. That's why a title change for an in-house legal beagle doesn't means beans.

Naptown_Seth
06-06-2008, 11:32 AM
"It's tough to answer questions on trades, but in this particular case I will say that the rumor is completely false," Morway added.
So with the blog and this track down of the CLE rumor it sure looks like Morway is becoming the go-to guy for what's up with the Pacers and their strategy.

Boomer For Adults is seeming more true than ever and I for one hope that's the case.