Shade
05-06-2008, 06:26 PM
http://www.wftv.com/news/16168335/detail.html?1

:wtf: Seriously? What the **** is wrong with people? :crazy:

Anthem
05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.wftv.com/news/16168335/detail.html?1

:wtf: Seriously? What the **** is wrong with people? :crazy:
I have a very hard time believing that's why they let him go. This is all his say-so... it's a lot more likely that he got fired for some other reason and this is what he told the news.

"Wizardry?" Seriously?

Hicks
05-06-2008, 06:50 PM
That's such a hit-and-run job by that news affiliate. Way to elaborate or seek out facts. "Reporting" indeed.

ajbry
05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Having grown up about 30 minutes away from there, I'm not surprised in the least.

JayRedd
05-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Did they burn him?

Arcadian
05-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I've seen subs fired for making a PE class sit on the blacktop in 90 degree weather then offering to a girl in a skirt to let her know if he sees her twat, having the special ed girls sit in his lap, being a recognizable prostitute from the area, canceling the lesson plans to show the same video on back to back days...

In most of these cases the subs I'm sure felt they were let go for minor reasons.

Major Cold
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Who called it wizardly? Prolly the sub saying that is what was the problem. In reality it was not following the lesson plans.

SpADeD
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Unfortunately I live one county over, and it is pretty the stuff that goes on in the school system is ridiculous over here.

Hicks
05-06-2008, 09:00 PM
ajbry and SpADeD, can you elaborate?

ajbry
05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
It's central Florida - AKA farmers, Baptists, conservatives, and those who still fly the Confederate flag. A lot of stuff is unaccepted down there and that's the way most of them like it. Morality is a top priority and school is a significant tool in instilling that in kids' brains. In my school district, substitute teachers were held to the same standards as the full-time teachers, so if anything that could be seen as misguided or inflammatory to their beliefs was taught - regardless of the person - it would be a big deal.

Anthem
05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Morality is a top priority and school is a significant tool in instilling that in kids' brains.
Horrors.

In my school district, substitute teachers were held to the same standards as the full-time teachers
The humanity.

I still refuse to believe that the dude was fired for "wizardry."

Hicks
05-06-2008, 11:48 PM
What I don't get is why is it even suggested he's fired for "wizardy" if in fact he was fired for not following the lesson plans? Why not just say "he was fired because he did not follow the lesson plans" ? Why bring up "wizardry" at all?

That's what makes me think something screwy is going on. Otherwise, he just sounds like he's not that good of a sub.

Trader Joe
05-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Just sounds like he made the word wizardry up to me.

Anthem
05-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Just sounds like he made the word wizardry up to me.
Agreed.

Ok, let's pretend that I'm the very picture of intolerant evil: a southern, conservative, baptist, farmer who owns a southern flag (scared yet?). Let's also say that I'm an administrator at a school and don't like one of my substitute teachers. Why fire him for "wizardry" when I can just fire him for being a bad sub? I have friends that subbed... I don't think any of them were under the impression that there's a lifetime employment guarantee.

On the other hand, let's pretend that I'm a sub for a school. I'm not great and I can't be bothered to teach what I'm supposed to. I get fired for sucking at my job. Am I going to tell people it's because I suck, or because The Man was out to get me for my nonconformism?

kester99
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
He saw the teaching gig going away, and grabbed his moment in the spotlight to advertise his new magic act...appearing at a mall mezzanine near you soon...pretty quick on his feet really.

Eindar
05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
I was once called in for a parent-teacher conference here in Indy while in 8th grade for "teaching 2nd graders to cast spells".

True story.

So, yeah, I buy it.

Doug
05-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Werdna was unavailable for comment...

PacerPete
05-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm certain this falls into the category of not taking what the media feeds you at face value.

My wife and I, with decades of computer skills and experience, have NEVER seen a media produced computer story that was the facts, the whole facts, and nothing but the facts. Once we understood this, we realized there had to be many many other subjects that the media just cannot get right.

The media's MO is to simplify and exaggerate. Just take note of the other stories on that website -- many Nancy Grace types.

Slick Pinkham
05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Did they burn him?

They couldn't catch him after he turned himself into a newt.

;)

Anthem
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm certain this falls into the category of not taking what the media feeds you at face value.

My wife and I, with decades of computer skills and experience, have NEVER seen a media produced computer story that was the facts, the whole facts, and nothing but the facts. Once we understood this, we realized there had to be many many other subjects that the media just cannot get right.

The media's MO is to simplify and exaggerate. Just take note of the other stories on that website -- many Nancy Grace types.
Yeah. I read a great post by Seth Godin today... he said that the media doesn't have a pro-Obama bias or a pro-Hillary bias... it has a pro-drama bias. Their job is to sell drama..

MyFavMartin
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
It wasn't his wizardry that got him fired.

It was the fact he was doing it in a bikini. :D

JayRedd
05-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I think maybe, just maybe, a few of you guys are overvaluing the journalistic standards of the headline writers at "wftv.com."

Generally, you don't just ask the guy who got fired why he got fired and then print that in the headline and pretend it's what actually happened.

This conversation:

Reporter: "So why did you get fired?"
Fired guy: "Cause my boss is a douchebag"

Should not lead to this headline:

Area Man Fired Because Boss Is Douchebag

MyFavMartin
05-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I think maybe, just maybe, a few of you guys are overvaluing the journalistic standards of the headline writers at "wftv.com."

Generally, you don't just ask the guy who got fired why he got fired and then print that in the headline and pretend it's what actually happened.

This conversation:

Reporter: "So why did you get fired?"
Fired guy: "Cause my boss is a douchebag"

Should not lead to this headline:

Area Man Fired Because Boss Is Douchebag

Good point Douchebag.