PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas

Shade
05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
No, this is not a "we should trade for Agent Zero!" thread. Quite the opposite, actually.

Do you think the Wizards should re-sign Arenas?

Personally, I think they should let him walk if the only option is to give him the max. He seems to be on the verge of becoming injury-prone, and there is reasonable debate as to whether the Wizards could be better without him. I could see him quickly becoming Washington's own personal JO.

Regardless, I think they need a new coach. I've been saying that for two years now.

Major Cold
05-06-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree. They should sign and trade him for a PG or picks. I could see the Cats wanting him if Felton is not going to work.

LG33
05-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I too am a bit frightened by Arenas' injury troubles, but how could you argue that they need a new coach after the way Eddie Jordan weathered the storm this season? If anyone needs a new coach...

Shade
05-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Jordan is not the kind of coach that will ever have great post-season success, IMO. So if Washington wants to get to the next level, they need to bring in a next-level coach.

And, yes, we need a new coach as well. Again. :sigh:

idioteque
05-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Giving Arenas the max would not be smart for the Wizards. He is on the verge of becoming injury prone as Shade said, in fact is arguable that he passed that verge after his status during the past two seasons. Honestly I don't think the Wizards should resign him unless there is conclusive medical evidence that he will be okay that none of us know about or if it is at a reasonable price. He could also become a decent bargain for them.

Hicks
05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
They should probably trade him.

avoidingtheclowns
05-06-2008, 12:04 PM
will they? yes
should they? eh...

MTO is going to **** a brick about this topic...

if you're only concerned about dollars and jersey sales it is a no-brainer that you re-sign him. dude is beloved here in DC. he is a walking dollar sign and having him on your team guarentees fans in the seats and jerseys on their backs.

if you're more concerned with winning a championship -- i kinda think you've got to S&T this offseason A) because of injury concerns and B) because i think gilbert is similar to starbury in the way that a gilbert-led team is always going to disappoint in the playoffs. but, S&T for what is the question... and i'm not sure, but they couldn't just let him walk.

right now, wizards management has pledged (privately) to re-sign both jamison and arenas. business-wise it is an easy and logical move. but championship-wise i sincerely doubt it.

oh and about eddie jordan, his playbook could be the reason people want him canned...

The Eddie Jordan Offense (http://whitepresident.blogspot.com/2008/04/eddie-jordan-offense.html)

I discovered a document labeled WIZARDS OFFENSIVE PLAYBOOK. Uh my scanner broke, yeah that's the ticket, so I just typed it out...

Have 2 guys bring the ball up the court. Have them make at least 3 passes before crossing the timeline. Make sure at least one of these passes is either close to a back court violation, or just an overall sloppy pass.

Run a 3 man weave type drill, looking for some back door cuts and kill most of the shot clock. It worked in High school and for a non-powerhouse basketball college (Princeton). Im sure the Wizards are as smart as Princeton players.

Call a play for a specific player. If that player is not open, hold the ball until he gets open. Only look at that player, do not even think about passing it to someone else. After holding the ball for 10 seconds, just force the pass. After all, we have to run the play.

If the other team is on a run... CONTINUED (http://whitepresident.blogspot.com/2008/04/eddie-jordan-offense.html)

http://whitepresident.blogspot.com/2008/04/eddie-jordan-offense.html

Infinite MAN_force
05-06-2008, 04:04 PM
they should trade him for a pure PG who plays strong defense. They have plenty of guys who can put up points.

dohman
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I would love to gilbert on this team. Danny, Mike, Gilbert would be a great team to watch.

mildlysane
05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I would love to gilbert on this team. Danny, Mike, Gilbert would be a great team to watch.
Me Too....He would look real nice in a suit sitting next to JO and Tinsley.

Moses
05-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Me Too....He would look real nice in a suit sitting next to JO and Tinsley.
We should also consider giving the Suns a call about Grant Hill.

Robertmto
05-07-2008, 01:32 AM
He had a bad year, he never should have played after he hurt his knee again. I see him bouncing back to exactly what he was.

I don't buy into the "team plays better without him" thing. If anybody thought this would be the exact same/better team after playing without him for 60 games they were kidding themselves. It was an entirely different offense.

Deshawn initiated the offense 70% of the time down the court (which explains his career year) and then Gil came back and tried to do the same thing, thats not gonna work. When Gil returned the offense looked out of sync because it WAS!

Gil was trying to be Gil again, and Deshawn was trying to be Gil like he did all year, that means there are only 3 cutters, and as everybody knows EJ runs the Princeton offense which is all about cuts, and quick passes. How can a team do that when two people are looking to do the exact same thing? It's not gonna happen.

It's not that the team plays better without Gil, its that the team never had the time to prepare to play WITH Gil. AFter this offseason I expect us to be right back at the high level of play we were last year.

duke dynamite
05-07-2008, 02:21 AM
I agree with most that Arenas will be healthy enough again to play at or close to the level he was before the injury.

There are many professional athletes who have gone through a serious injury and had missed the majority of a season, so I would put Gilbert in this category.

Unclebuck
05-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I think they should trade him.

MyFavMartin
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
That team needs a better head coach and an upgrade at C, but they have an extremely talented core and I would be very happy to see what they could do with a season at full strength. Arenas is the type of player that creates mismatches and forces double teams. Keep him.

Plus, he's the one that sells tickets.

Not bad for a second rounder, eh?

PR07
05-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I wish they'd trade him to Indiana.