PDA

View Full Version : Brunner - Maybe it won't be so hard to deal, after all

Hicks
05-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Pacers.com
Conrad Brunner
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=580003616

If you listen closely, you can almost hear the plungers being primed.

When the season ended, there was quite a bit of consternation about two factors: 1) the Pacers' need for substantive roster change and, 2) the difficulty Larry Bird would face in making it happen.

Thanks to the events of the postseason, however, it appears the trade market could offer quite a bit more flexibility than previously anticipated. Several teams have been added to the once-slender list of those potentially heading into blowup mode, and more could be joining.

Phoenix The Suns have been built for speed but if Coach Mike D'Antoni is fired, an assumption that hasn't yet thappened, it could signal a change in philosophy that could precipitate a major move or two. It would seem silly to deal either Steve Nash or Amare Stoudemire, leaving Shaquille O'Neal as the biggest bargaining chip.

Dallas With the Jason Kidd trade not exactly delivering as hoped and Avery Johnson out -- and it looks like Rick Carlisle stepping in -- the Mavs are at a crossroads. They'll likely continue to build around Dirk Nowitzki but it looks like just about everybody else could be on the table. Don't expect the Pacers to inquire about Josh Howard but Erick Dampier could draw interest.

Denver Like the aforementioned pseudo-powers, the Nuggets have some major decisions to make. Will George Karl stay? Are Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson worth the trouble? Early buzz is Marcus Camby, Kenyon Martin and Nene comprise Denver's opening hand at the table.

Washington The Wizards could lose two of their big three with both Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison heading into free agency, so this could become sign-and-trade central.

Golden State The primary problem in dealing with the Warriors is their near-total state of flux due to free agency. Assuming Baron Davis opts out, they'll have six players under contract and just three of those (Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson and Andris Biedrins) are in the nucleus.

Chicago With a coaching change comes the likelihood of roster change and the Bulls are a bit of a mismatched bunch. Kirk Hinrich was untouchable a year ago but that likely has changed. Ben Gordon's name is constantly in the rumor mill, but a guy like Tyrus Thomas should be more intriguing to the Pacers, who are looking for length and athleticism in the frontcourt.

New Jersey It appears either Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson will be dealt. The Nets may have lost faith in Nenad Krstic after two seasons of injury problems. Devin Harris isn't going anywhere, which could mean Marcus Williams is available.

Charlotte Where Larry Brown goes, change is sure to follow, although it seems unlikely the core of Raymond Felton, Jason Richardson and Gerald Wallace would be altered. There is one caveat. Brown needs strong, disciplined point guard play and if he doesn't think he'll get it from Felton, the promising young talent could be made available.

New York Donnie Walsh will no doubt put his stamp on the Knicks with at least one major trade early in his tenure but, oddly, the most attractive commodity may be Stephon Marbury simply because he's entering the final year of his contract. The players most commonly sought are Jamal Crawford and David Lee but they also happen to be precisely the type of players Walsh likes to build with.

It's likely more teams will soon join the list. The Hawks may well gain the mindset that they're one player away after challenging the Celtics and could be tempted to part with young talent; Cleveland needs to the reach the conference finals to validate its roster, otherwise more changes are needed; Houston could be compelled to make a major move after falling in the first round once again; and don't rule San Antonio out of the mix should the aging Spurs lose to the Hornets.

Once the playoffs end, the games will really begin.

d_c
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
"Don't expect the Pacers to inquire about Josh Howard but Erick Dampier could draw interest."

LOL

Kegboy
05-05-2008, 08:20 PM
LOL

:wave:

Hi Bruno!

AesopRockOn
05-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Are the Wizards going to resign Jamison? If not, where would he go? And where would B Diddy go?

Kofi
05-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I find it ridiculous we wouldn't inquire about a very talented guy who's had no major on-court or off-court issues, just because he showed some honesty and admitted to smoking a little grass in the offseason.

If Howard had a reputation as a thug, I'd understand it. I've only heard good things about him, seems like a good guy, a good citizen, so what would be the harm in bringing him in? If he can get this team back into the playoffs, no one's gonna care what he does in the privacy of his own home in the offseason.

QuickRelease
05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I find it ridiculous we wouldn't inquire about a very talented guy who's had no major on-court or off-court issues, just because he showed some honesty and admitted to smoking a little grass in the offseason.

If Howard had a reputation as a thug, I'd understand it. I've only heard good things about him, seems like a good guy, a good citizen, so what would be the harm in bringing him in? If he can get this team back into the playoffs, no one's gonna care what he does in the privacy of his own home in the offseason.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7QPYKWFMCXMJ:www.musicremedy.com/webfiles/artists/RickJames/Rick_James-02-big.jpg (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.musicremedy.com/webfiles/artists/RickJames/Rick_James-02-big.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.musicremedy.com/r/Rick_James/videos/Taste-15145.html&h=126&w=127&sz=15&tbnid=7QPYKWFMCXMJ:&tbnh=126&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drick%2BJames%2Bphotos&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3) It isn't so much what Josh did, so much as when he chose to highlight the news. It was just another distraction at the worst possible time for Dallas.

Anthem
05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm looking at this the opposite way as Brunner. He's asking "who would we want from them?" but I'm asking myself "Who would take this player of ours?"

Rajah Brown
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Howard could be the next best thing to Mother Theresa when it comes
to his recreational habits and he'd still be of little use to the Pacers.
Another SF is all we need.

Will Galen
05-05-2008, 10:07 PM

The Pacers had a team that won 61 games and then poof it was gone because of player issues. They are still trying to get rid of players that have caused distractions so it's just common sense they wouldn't look at anyone that would be stupid enough to admit he breaks the law.

Kofi
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Howard could be the next best thing to Mother Theresa when it comes
to his recreational habits and he'd still be of little use to the Pacers.

Not if we send a SF (Dunleavy) to Dallas.

Kofi
05-05-2008, 10:15 PM
The Pacers had a team that won 61 games and then poof it was gone because of player issues. They are still trying to get rid of players that have caused distractions so it's just common sense they wouldn't look at anyone that would be stupid enough to admit he breaks the law.

And yet, in 5 years in the league, Howard's on-court and off-court record remains spotless.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKsr4L9lh0) is far worse than anything Howard has ever done. Not to mention O'Neal, Williams, Tinsley, and Harrison's issues.

Anthem
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Howard could be the next best thing to Mother Theresa when it comes to his recreational habits and he'd still be of little use to the Pacers.

Oy. He's a natural SG, playing out of position this year.

Kofi
05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Dunleavy and Williams to Dallas for Howard.

Shipping out the pot-head who hangs out with murderers more than events things out.

Anthem
05-05-2008, 10:19 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKsr4L9lh0) is far worse than anything Howard has ever done.
Heh. Classic. I never realized I could read his lips at one point.

t1hs0n
05-05-2008, 10:22 PM
And yet, in 5 years in the league, Howard's on-court and off-court record remains spotless.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKsr4L9lh0) is far worse than anything Howard has ever done. Not to mention O'Neal, Williams, Tinsley, and Harrison's issues.

I just have to say that this is far worse then the vid you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvphTqMvGWo&feature=related

Anthem
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM

Shipping out the pot-head who hangs out with murderers more than events things out.
That... makes sense, actually. A good deal for Dallas, and avoids the PR nightmare for Indy.

Anthem
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKsr4L9lh0) is far worse than anything Howard has ever done.

I just have to say that this is far worse then the vid you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvphTqMvGWo&feature=related
You guys know about the yt tags, right? You can embed Youtube Videos

{yt}NOKsr4L9lh0{/yt}

Hicks
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I think I should make it easier by just requiring you to paste the entire URL and not just the video code.

Hicks
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Test:

http://www.youtube.com/v/NOKsr4L9lh0

NOKsr4L9lh0

Doddage
05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Look at the successful players in the recent past, guys like Kobe and LeBron... they've had their share of off-court problems. If we have an opportunity to get a really quality player, we can't just dismiss them because of any little history they've had off the court. I mean, sure, we can avoid guys like Artest and Jackson, but not all players are like that.

The point is, you'll find that the really good players in the league generally have some sort of history behind them.

Hicks
05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, nevermind regarding the you tube tag. The original one is the best. Turns out the direct URL of a video won't work correctly if you try to set it up as an embed for a forum. You'd still have to go in and mess with it. It's actually easier to just copy/paste the little video code.

Oh well.

rock747
05-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Wow, never knew Dunleavy got that emotionally invested interesting..that video was hilarious

AesopRockOn
05-05-2008, 11:50 PM
That vid will just derail any thread. The best moment of his career.

The title of this thread is so close to a TWSS.

Pacersfan46
05-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Look at the successful players in the recent past, guys like Kobe and LeBron... they've had their share of off-court problems. If we have an opportunity to get a really quality player, we can't just dismiss them because of any little history they've had off the court. I mean, sure, we can avoid guys like Artest and Jackson, but not all players are like that.

The point is, you'll find that the really good players in the league generally have some sort of history behind them.

What off court problems has Lebron had? Did I miss something? The only thing I can think of is his Hummer when he was in high school, and them questioning how it got paid for.

-- Steve --

Hicks
05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
What off court problems has Lebron had? Did I miss something? The only thing I can think of is his Hummer when he was in high school, and them questioning how it got paid for.

-- Steve --

I think he was pulled over for speeding triple-digits some time recently, and then while trying to apologize simultaneously implied it wasn't a big deal. Which is half-true, but half-stupid.

Pacersfan46
05-06-2008, 12:20 AM
I think he was pulled over for speeding triple-digits some time recently, and then while trying to apologize simultaneously implied it wasn't a big deal. Which is half-true, but half-stupid.

Aaaahhh, that is kinda silly to say. However as someone who has my car on cruise control at 130 MPH during long trips across states ..... I can say I scoff at people really thinking it's a big deal.

However, people as a whole blow things out of proportion a lot of times.

Either way, I wouldn't really call that 'off court issues' to me. I just don't see it as big enough deal to really be concerned about.

-- Steve --

rexnom
05-06-2008, 01:22 AM
I think I should make it easier by just requiring you to paste the entire URL and not just the video code.
I still think that the easiest is the embed feature from youtube.
Voila:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOKsr4L9lh0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOKsr4L9lh0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hicks
05-06-2008, 02:09 AM
.... Which is what our {yt} tag is, minus the specific video code that the user has to provide. Same HTML.

rexnom
05-06-2008, 02:15 AM
.... Which is what our {yt} tag is, minus the specific video code that the user has to provide. Same HTML.
ahh...makes sense now...I just always used the embed because I could just c/p from youtube or hulu or whatever.

Mourning
05-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Pacers.com
Conrad Brunner
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=580003616 Don't expect the Pacers to inquire about Josh Howard but Erick Dampier could draw interest.

I really wouldn't be surprised by a move like that either. I'm not for it, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities that Dallas includes Terry as they without a doubt know we are desperate for a PG (though he's more like an undersized SG).

Having Dirk and JO might be very interesting to Cuban if he thinks he can keep JO healthy and at the sametime unload Dampier and his ungodly contract to us. At the the sametime the Mav's would have a huge expiring sooner then with Dampier.
Dampier has been with the Pacers, so he knows the organization a bit and well he is big and a center.
Offcourse, the Mav's would have to add something which would make it way more remotely interesting for us.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=711019

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Jose Slaughter
05-06-2008, 07:17 AM
but a guy like Tyrus Thomas should be more intriguing to the Pacers, who are looking for length and athleticism in the frontcourt.

Is this a hint for who we're looking for in the draft?

Tom White
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM

I'm not really for bringing in Howard because of the possible PR problems, but with that said, I did get a good chuckle out of your reasoning and wonder if you might be right about that.

MyFavMartin
05-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Bird and the Pacers are on record that they always like bigs... Just depends on whose available at #11 in regards to PG. Draft day may be pretty significant in regards to Pacer trades and roster changes. The Pacers though will do their homework on the top 15 candidates so they know which trade offers to make/accept.

Will Galen
05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I have a question. I know the draft is June the 26th. What I want to know is what date does JO have to opt out by? The 23rd?

I'm wondering if the Pacers can trade JO before the draft, which I think would still be on this years contract since the next years go into affect July 1st.

Nevermind, I looked it up. Options have to be exercised by July 1st.

Since86
05-06-2008, 01:24 PM
As far as Kobe and LeBron's off court troubles, it's Kobe and LeBron.

Fans are a little more forgiving with them two, who actually produce playoff wins and final appearances, rather than the crapfest we've had to watch for the past few seasons.

Ownagedood
05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I would love for us to draft a guy like McGee.. A bit of a project but could be a great player.

CableKC
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I would love for us to draft a guy like McGee.. A bit of a project but could be a great player.
A few years ago, when we were a perennial Playoff team....I have no problem gambling on a player....I didn't even mind drafting Shawne 2 seasons ago....cuz we were still in a position to make the Playoffs.

But now....with the 11th pick and the current State of the Pacers....I don't think that we are in a position to gamble on a project......we have to infuse the best NBA-Ready Talent that can make an impact on this team that can hit the ground running as soon as possible.

I would only gamble on the 2nd round pick ( assumng that there isn't a solid player like Weaver or White available ) or any other pick that we somehow acquire after the 11th pick.