PDA

View Full Version : IU: Thomas, Bassett, Ellis gone, too

Jonathan
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080502/SPORTS0601/80502056

Good for Crean

Jonathan
05-02-2008, 02:52 PM
BLOOMINGTON ? One day after Eli Holman told Tom Crean of his intentions to transfer, the IU basketball coach announced today that junior DeAndre Thomas has been dismissed from the team and will not have his scholarship renewed.

Crean also announced that Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis, who were dismissed a few days before Crean was hired, will not be reinstated. According to a release by the university, Bassett failed "to comply with University and Athletic Department guidelines.?? No reason was given why Ellis will not be reinstated.

?Before you build a team, you need to develop a family,?? Crean said in a statement from the university today. ?We will go through the learning process, feel some growing pains and experience some bumps in the road along the way. We need the Hoosier Nation to rally around this program as we go through these stages.??

With today?s announcements, Indiana now has just three scholarship players returning from last year?s team ? Kyle Taber, Brandon McGee and Jordan Crawford. The Hoosiers also have four players signed to play in the class of 2008, and two walk-ons.

?Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this university and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,?? Crean said. ?We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history.??

Shade
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Next year's really gonna sting.

Like, Northwestern/Penn State-level sting.

Kraft
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Better now than later, I'd guess, for the Hoosiers.

Jordan Crawford, Brandon McGee, this is your team. Bet they didn't expect that one year ago.

D-BONE
05-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Good riddance!

kester99
05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
'Sting' is right. Please let this program get past all this drama, and back on some kind of normal track.

I guess we get to see what Crean is made of for sure this year. Pull it together, coach.

Robertmto
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I wonder whee these guys will transfer too?

Kegboy
05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Next year's really gonna sting.

Like, Northwestern/Penn State-level sting.

You never know, you might have a Nell Fortner year.

Of course, I don't see a Stephanie White or Ukari Figgs on your roster. You got any track-and-field champs that can fill in for a year?

pwee31
05-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Apparently you can add Brandon McGee to this list

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/may/22/22indiana/

Indiana dismisses forward McGee
By Randy Beard (Contact)
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Forward Brandon McGee became the latest casualty of Tom Crean’s reconstruction project at Indiana University on Thursday.
The 6-foot-7 McGee, a reserve who played in 17 games as a freshman, was informed by the IU basketball coach that his scholarship would not be renewed because of academic and team guideline violations. He averaged one rebound and 1.5 points.
“Our coaching and support staff tried to make this work out, but we felt that there were some basic standard operating procedures that were not being met,” said Crean.
The IU head coach said his staff worked with McGee to help him meet expectations, and also sought assistance from McGee’s family and Crane High School coach Anthony Longstreet.
“But in the end it just was not possible to continue in the current direction,” said Crean.
McGee’s departure means there are now just two returning scholarship players on the IU roster — guard Jordan Crawford and forward Kyle Taber of Evanvsille. Walk-on guard Brett Finkelmeier also is expected to be back.
Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan, who was in Evansville on Thursday, said that the changes Crean has made in the program, including the dismissals, have been “difficult but necessary.”
Making an appearance at Eagle Valley for a scholarship golf tournament run by the Greater Evansville Chapter of the IU Alumni Association, Greenspan said, “He’s obviously made a lot of changes as far as the roster. Those have been well documented. But he’s also worked hard to reach out to (high school) coaches in the state and fill the roster with players who will be fun to watch and accepting of our guidelines as student-athletes.”
In all, five players have been dismissed from the program since early April, and freshman guard Eric Gordon also declared for the NBA Draft.
Crean has added six recruits who will be eligible to play for the Hoosiers next season, including 7-foot center Tijan Jobe from Olney Central College.

Major Cold
05-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Well if he gets rid of Crawford then he goes too far. Crawford is a good kid.

Robertmto
05-24-2008, 01:31 PM
F:censored:in Tom Crean, why not just cut the whole damn team.

Trader Joe
05-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh yeah cause Brandon McGee is such a huge loss. Give me a break.

Shade
05-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Has any team ever gone winless in a season before?

Trader Joe
05-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Has any team ever gone winless in a season before?

You can't even be serious can you? We have a top 30 recruiting class coming in even with all of this going on. Plus we may be adding another four star power forward that was let out of his LOI by Arizona. Brandon McGee was not going to add any wins to this team. He couldn't even crack the rotation this year on a team desparate for a power forward to put next to DJ.

Shade
05-25-2008, 04:07 PM
You can't even be serious can you? We have a top 30 recruiting class coming in even with all of this going on. Plus we may be adding another four star power forward that was let out of his LOI by Arizona. Brandon McGee was not going to add any wins to this team. He couldn't even crack the rotation this year on a team desparate for a power forward to put next to DJ.

I'm obviously exaggerating, but I really don't see next season's team cracking .500 as it currently stands.

I have no problem with Crean cleaning house, btw...all of these players obviously had issues. I'm just bracing myself for a painful transition process.

Trader Joe
05-25-2008, 04:13 PM
This team will win 18 games or more.

Big Smooth
05-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Well if he gets rid of Crawford then he goes too far. Crawford is a good kid.

I don't think Crawford is going to give Crean a reason to kick him off the team. He is a good kid, I agree.

Robertmto
05-25-2008, 06:09 PM

God I hope so.

Trader Joe
05-25-2008, 06:19 PM
If Crawford was going to be gone it would have happened with McGee IMO. I think the only hold up on McGee was making sure all of his grades were correct, usually that term is used when describing whether someone will be eligible in this case its whether or not McGee was actually that dumb. IIRC, McGee wan't exactly the brightest bulb on the tree when he was being recruited.

Crawford's mom meanwhile is on record saying the she really likes CTC.

avoidingtheclowns
05-26-2008, 01:09 AM
You can't even be serious can you? We have a top 30 recruiting class coming in even with all of this going on.

according to who? rivals has us WAY outside the top 30 (we're currently 5th in the Big Ten). we have all 3-star recruits. i find it hard to believe we're gonna crack anyone's top-30 list. crean gets an A for effort though.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=810562

Plus we may be adding another four star power forward that was let out of his LOI by Arizona. Brandon McGee was not going to add any wins to this team. He couldn't even crack the rotation this year on a team desparate for a power forward to put next to DJ.unfortunately i think negedu is gonna choose memphis over IU. but i think crean is doing a fine job with what little he had. it is unusual to get rid of so many players as a new coach but i think it speaks more to the ****ty condition sampson or sampson's departure left the team in. cean has done what he feels has been necessary. i'm sure he'd prefer having more than just three players returning. so i guess instead of being pissed off with crean, be pissed off at sampson for putting crean in this position.

my hope is that we have a season like kentucky did last year -- i expect the first part to be quite rough but by the end of the season we make some significant improvements despite the obvious lack of talent we have on the team. maybe if we're lucky and if we're not banned we find a way to sneak into the tourney.

Shade
05-26-2008, 01:22 AM

I don't think the NCAA will allow IU to schedule 40 games next season.

Trader Joe
05-26-2008, 04:28 AM
ESPN had us in the top 30. I know its not the best source, but its something and I'll take it.

I think everyone forgets how bad the Big Ten is and just how important it will be that we don't get thrown into turmoil midseason. We'll be better than Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa, and Michigan just by showing up to the court. Then I think we can be comparable to Minnesota and Illinois. I remind all of you that no one and I mean no one would have thought Purdue would be anywhere near as good as they were this year. Coaching in college basketball does mean something and I believe Crean will be able to win us a few games we have no business winning.