PDA

View Full Version : Somebody explain how this is "racial harassment"

Anthem
05-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Can't believe this happened at IUPUI.

http://nuvo.net/images/articles/022708/letter112507.pdf

The Affirmative Action Office has completed its investigation of Ms. [removed]’s allegation that you racially harassed her by repeatedly reading the book, Notre Dame vs. the Klan: How the Fighting Irish Defeated the Ku Klux Klan by Todd Tucker in the presence of Black employees. In conducting this investigation, we interviewed you, [removed], and other employees with information relevant to the mailer.

Upon review of this matter, we conclude that your conduct constitutes racial harassment in that you demonstrated disdain and insensitivity to your co-workers who repeatedly requested that you refrain from reading the book which has such an inflammatory and offensive topic in their presence. You contend that you weren’t aware of the offensive nature of the topic and were reading the book about the KKK to better understand discrimination. However you used extremely poor judgment by insisting on openly reading the book related to a historically and racially abhorrent subject in the presence of your Black co-workers.

Seriously? Reading a book about defeating the KKK is a racist gesture? Reading the book in public isn't allowed and "can lead to serious consequences?" Here comes thoughtcrime.

That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. Does anyone know this affirmative action officer (read PDF for her name)? Is she on crack?

idioteque
05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm not claiming to speak for Hicks or any of the other admins, but this is probably a topic best suited for UnPD. We could use the members, news has been a bit slow lately and it would be a great topic that we could discuss over there.

(Sorry in advance to any mods if this post is somehow inappropriate, if it is, please delete.)

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
IUPUI has become an extremely PC place. Any kind of perceived borderline behavior will be heavily frowned upon. They're slowly losing touch with reality around there.

If I were the accused in this case, I would file a lawsuit against IUPUI.

DisplacedKnick
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Not sure how the topic is either insensitive or inflammatory - does IUPUI not realize that the Klan was vehemently anti-Catholic?

Twes
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
I think they were against foot basins too.

indygeezer
05-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Not sure how the topic is either insensitive or inflammatory - does IUPUI not realize that the Klan was vehemently anti-Catholic?

Please, I would prefer not to know that I am not loved by all.

Twes
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
You wonder why the Belltones don't work...

Sand!

Hicks
05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I am in agreement with dc:

http://pignash.proboards67.com/index.c.cgi