PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle interviews for Knicks job and Derrick Coleman needs a new heart (not a joke)

Unclebuck
05-02-2008, 08:13 AM
While Coleman was playing many suggested that Coleman needed some heart, well looks like he really does need a new heart.

And a bunch of coaching news. Wonder if Walsh was not impressed with Mark Jackson in his interview. Seems like he is looking elsewhere

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/05022008/sports/derrick_needs_new_heart_109042.htm

DERRICK NEEDS NEW HEART
By PETER VECSEY

May 2, 2008 -- SOME information is better left unlearned. Yet I wouldn't be doing my job justice if I didn't report that Derrick Coleman, 41 come June 21, is in urgent need of a heart transplant. Details are scarce, but the few collected are scary.
Toward the end of Coleman's 10-year NBA career, he was diagnosed as suffering from arrhythmia. The disorder was treated with medication and it stopped his heart from skipping a beat and alleviated his shortness of breath, etc.

For whatever reason, Coleman's condition severely worsened lately, hospitalizing one of the toughest hombres in league history. Only a couple of his closest friends - Charles Oakley and Ricky Mahorn - have been able to see him.

Born and raised in Detroit, Coleman returned to his roots soon after retiring after the 1999-2000 season and invested important money in businesses that have helped revive his old neighborhood.

Many believe the multitalented 6-10, 270-pound lefty had the goods to become the most dominant forward of all-time. While his numbers (18.5 points and 10.0 rebounds) are notable, they fell far short of that towering projection. Like that really matters now.

A Rick Carlisle confidant reveals Donnie Walsh interviewed him Wednesday for the Knicks coaching job. That's a shock. A year ago at this time, the former Pacers' CEO collaborated with Larry Bird on Carlisle's Indiana firing. Whereas Mark Jackson remains the conspicuous leader, apparently Walsh intends to play the field before reaching a decision.

That same source discloses Mavericks' owner Mark Cuban wasted no time in calling Carlisle regarding replacing Avery Johnson on Dallas' sidelines. President of basketball operation Donn Nelson, whose claim to fame is "discovering" Dirk Nowitzki, was given first crack at the job but demurely declined, I'm informed.

(Rick Pitino was salivating at the prospects of drafting Dirk at No. 10 when the Bucks beat him to it a pick before, then traded him for Tractor Traylor June 24, 1998. The stunningly good news was that Paul Pierce plummeted from a probable top-three choice to the Celtics.)

What does it say when your team's top executive isn't interested? Let's take some crazy guesses: Expectations are impossible; assets have been depleted; largest payroll in the league; and thus little flexibility to make moves.

None of the above is the least bit likely to discourage Carlisle from accepting Cuban's offer should it be made.

Sources say Jeff Van Gundy also has been contacted, which makes no sense whatsoever since Cuban is said to be in the hunt for someone who'll unchain the offense to take advantage of Jason Skidd's transition aptitude; the Mavs are locked into Skidd for another year on paper at $21,372,000 million and perhaps an additional one on Cuban's word.

Should Mike D'Antoni and the Suns soon part company, his name will be added to Cuban's short list that ultimately may include Pitino. I've been told he'd consider leaving Louisville for a third NBA chance, but the team would have to be in relatively good roster shape.

I don't know; the thought of coaching Erick Damper (11M/$12M/$13M) for the next three seasons might be a turn-off. It's not as if he can be traded. I doubt Cuban could package Dampier with Microsoft and get a good deal.

This just in: Josh Howard graciously offered to throw Avery a going-away pot party.

So, what about Distorted Illustrated's report immediately following the Bone Spurs' 4-1 playoff eviction of the Suns that D'Antoni was out as coach? The magazine may not be off by much, 72 hours at the most.

Clearly, philosophical differences exist between D'Antoni and superiors. Owner Robert Sarver and team president Steve Kerr are unhappy with their coach's defensive preparation and unwillingness to hold players accountable.

A Phoenix hall monitor divulges a meeting between D'Antoni and Kerr is scheduled for this morning. Here today, gone later today. Should no agreement be reached on radically improving those two areas, the Suns will be on the prowl for a new coach by early afternoon.

John Wetzel remains just a phone call away

A viable solution for Cuban and Sarver, I submit, is to become this generation's John Y. Brown/Harry Mangurian-Irv Levin; you know, swap franchises. One could be sent to Buffalo, the other to San Diego.

After watching Chris Paul-verizer run a clinic on Kidd, column contributor Alex McNeil reports he overheard Joumana remark to a friend, "And I thought I had it rough."

So, Kevin Durant was named top rookie over Al Horford. If all it took was putting up big numbers for a bad team, then look no further than Isiah Thomas' Three L's - legal fees, luxury taxes and lame signings.

Reports out of Denver maintain Carmelo Anthony was above the legal blood-alcohol limit when arrested in mid-April. As part of his plea deal, 'Melo has consented to appear in the NBA's new playoff promo: "Win . . . or get driven home."

I'm already tired of Larry Brown's drone.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com

rexnom
05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
I can't believe we fired Rick. I am sorry. Obviously we're the only team in the NBA that doesn't want him. This is ridiculous. God. I've been really holding back this past year because I don't think Obie is bad, but I'm just getting way too frustrated with all these teams wanting Carlisle right now.

efx
05-02-2008, 08:55 AM
I hope things work out for Derrick. Always liked him as a player.

indygeezer
05-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Cuban wants a coach that will take the chains off the offense so he's talking to Rick Carlisle???:hmm: Somehow I musta woke up in a parallel universe this morning.

NapTonius Monk
05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I can't believe we fired Rick. I am sorry. Obviously we're the only team in the NBA that doesn't want him. This is ridiculous. God. I've been really holding back this past year because I don't think Obie is bad, but I'm just getting way too frustrated with all these teams wanting Carlisle right now.

It was time.

rexnom
05-02-2008, 09:36 AM
It was time.
Really? I don't remember who it was that was making this argument, maybe Seth, but it was a good one:

Who was getting sick of Rick?
Danny? Travis? Mike? Jeff?
or was it...
JO? Tinsley? Marquis? All those Pacers fans that were going to come back in droves this seasons with a more "uptempo" style?

Why was it time?

Major Cold
05-02-2008, 09:57 AM
I hope he finds a heart. Also when I think of Coleman I think of Keith Smart hitting that jumper to win the title. That open jumper would not have gone in if it weren't for an illegal screen used on Coleman. But who makes that call at that time.

:bavetta:

count55
05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I hope he finds a heart. Also when I think of Coleman I think of Keith Smart hitting that jumper to win the title. That open jumper would not have gone in if it weren't for an illegal screen used on Coleman. But who makes that call at that time.

Nonsense. Coleman was guarding Thomas in the post...Smart fed Thomas, and Coleman was set up behind him, then Thomas kicked it back out to Smart, who lost Triche and nailed the shot. Watch this replay, and you'll see that Thomas was in the post, not setting a screen on Coleman, and, more to the point, Coleman makes no effort to get to Smart to defend the shot.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dgkmikdVM8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dgkmikdVM8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

DisplacedKnick
05-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Syracuse hits their FT's down the stretch that game and anything Keith Smart or any other IU player does doesn't matter.

count55
05-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Syracuse hits their FT's down the stretch that game and anything Keith Smart or any other IU player does doesn't matter.

Yeah, that too.

Naptown_Seth
05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Back off mister, I already got "riding Rick's jock" covered. You can be my 2nd in command though. ;)

(actually it's always great to be reminded that you aren't totally alone)

Yes, the "3 year window" would require players to be under that coach for 3 years in the first place. Pretty sure that if Dun and Troy were tuning out Rick it was simply because they were a'holes (meaning IF they did then they were...I say they didn't tune out).

The list of guys that could have been getting sick of Rick due to playing for years under him were basically Tins, JO, Jeff and maybe Granger. Tins still stinks so who cares, JO was hurt then and hurt now, and Jeff and Danny busted it for both Rick and JOB.

So there is a MASSIVE logic error in going with "tuning him out". It doesn't match the reality. The reality was the results this year. Remove JO half the time or have him play hurt, leave Tins out hurt/pouting and go with the post-trade roster and you have a lot of losing.

What if the truth is that given the SAME ROSTER that Rick will always get more wins out of them? Then why dump him to fix a broken roster? This is why the JAZZ DIDN'T DUMP SLOAN when he missed the playoffs for 1 year (just like Rick).

Remember when the Nets listened to their whiney PG and dumped their COY candidate coach? Let's revisit the Nets and Scott now. Scott, COY WINNER, one of the top teams in the league. Nets dumped Kidd and are floundering.

COY (or top condideration) might be the kiss of death lately, but it shouldn't be. It's not like Scott, Rick or Nate McMillan haven't done it again with the next team too. Other consistant top vote getters are guys like Pop and Sloan. Look at the Grizz after Hubie retired again.

PAID PROFESSIONAL sports writer and he writes this...

So, what about Distorted Illustrated's report immediately following the Bone Spurs' 4-1 playoff eviction
Wow. TMZ called Peter, they'd like you to come in for a second interview. Fingers crossed for you buddy, you can do it.

And as Geezer points out, didn't each of us (even Rick lovers) see our jaws drop that Rick is interviewing but Van Gundy would be crazy because Cuban wants to open it up? Personally I'm a big JVG fan, it just happens to be for the same reasons I like Rick as a coach.

I think either coach would be willing to run as much as the talent he has would let him. Both coach to the team's strengths, though they each respect defense and protection of possessions most of all. I mean Rick made a sincere effort to run with guys like Rawle, Jack and Tins while putting JO in the high post. It sucked, which is exactly why it made sense for him to agree with JO's game 8 rant saying just that.

I think both JVG and Rick would be willing to let Kidd track meet on turnovers as long as he could be assured of having at least 1-2 other guys with him each time (ala the Nets jailbreak on above-the-FT-line TOs a few years ago). Can Kidd do that still and will the Mavs have the 2-3 other players on court with him at all times to match? Hard to know right now.

One thing with Rick, he did win with Stack previously in Detroit.

jmoney2584
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
And in other news Isiah Thomas needs a brain and the NBA officials need the c-c-c-c-courage to make the right calls in games. Too bad the Wizard of Stern isn't fielding any calls these days....

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM

If Rick was so highly sought-after, why was he not coaching anyone last season?

Rick had done all he could here. His time was done. Past done, actually. We should have let him go a season earlier.

With that said, I don't believe JOB is the answer either. I didn't think so when we hired him, and I still don't believe so for the same reasons.

Mourning
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Rick had to go, unfortunately as I really liked him, but the thing most clear after last season was that the team just wasn't responding anymore.

IF Cuban hires Carlisle ... then does anybody else view the chances of a Pacers-Mav's deal getting more realistic? JO did well when he played for Rick as he was the focal point of our offense. Having Dirk and JO might be very interesting to Cuban if he thinks he can keep JO healthy and at the sametime unload Dampier and his ungodly contract to us. At the the sametime the Mav's would have a huge expiring sooner then with Dampier.
Dampier has been with the Pacers, so he knows the organization a bit and well he is big and a center.
Offcourse, the Mav's would have to add something which would make it way more remotely interesting for us.

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:18 PM

It's been 21 years. You need to learn to let it go. ;)

If it makes you feel any better, IU hasn't won jack**** since. :(

Since86
05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Back off mister, I already got "riding Rick's jock" covered. You can be my 2nd in command though. ;)

(actually it's always great to be reminded that you aren't totally alone)

Ouch!! I consider myself a permant resident on the Rick bandwagon. I guess I'm just not appreciated.

If Rick was so highly sought-after, why was he not coaching anyone last season?

Rick had done all he could here. His time was done. Past done, actually. We should have let him go a season earlier.

With that said, I don't believe JOB is the answer either. I didn't think so when we hired him, and I still don't believe so for the same reasons.

Maybe because he was getting paid by the Pacers already?

His time was done with the players that were here yes. But now all those players are gone, or are atleast they know they will be gone soon enough, so now we've gotten rid of those players and are in a worse position on the bench.

Wow, what a great message.

"We dumped a coach to appease players that aren't here, or will be leaving soon. We have hired a new coach that runs a philosophy that doesn't work in the playoffs, and is too complex on the defensive end so the players give up easy buckets. We will try to be entertaining on the court, but promise to keep popping up in other sections of the paper, most noteably in the police blotter.

Signed TPTB"

DisplacedKnick
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
It's been 21 years. You need to learn to let it go. ;)

If it makes you feel any better, IU hasn't won jack**** since. :(

Took a while but I let it go about 4 years ago.

We shouldn't have beat KY in the mid 90's but we sure should have won in '87 - but my fear of that being our best shot ever didn't pan out.

Shade
05-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Took a while but I let it go about 4 years ago.

We shouldn't have beat KY in the mid 90's but we sure should have won in '87 - but my fear of that being our best shot ever didn't pan out.

I'm still not over the travesty that was IU/Duke 1992. It still boils my blood to see that crock of **** to this day.

Slick Pinkham
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Coleman denies he needs a transplant:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3378594

NuffSaid
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Cuban wants a coach that will take the chains off the offense so he's talking to Rick Carlisle???:hmm: Somehow I musta woke up in a parallel universe this morning.
I think he's looking for a coach who can be more creative with the offense while also strengthening defensive schemes. I think that as long as this veteran group of players return - Jason Terry, Jason Kidd, Jerry Stackhouse, Dirk Nowinski and Josh Howard - he should be able to turn things around real fast with this team.

To be fair, I liked Avery Johnson and though he did a marvelous job w/the Mavs, but for whatever reason he wasn't able to move them far in the post-season often enough. Of course, I don't know how much one can do with a 7 foot PF who plays more like a SG. :o Not saying it's Dirk's fault, but the Mavs seem to be in much the same situation as the Pacers are in w/JO in trying to answer the question, "How to get the most (i.e., "take over the game dominance") out of their multi-million dollar "franchise" player particularly during the post-season.

Dirk, much like T-Mac, seems to fade away in the post-season and I'm not quiet sure why. Surely their game isn't that limited. Could it be that defenses read them better as the post-season goes on or the offense just isn't creative enough?

avoidingtheclowns
05-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Ouch!! I consider myself a permant resident on the Rick bandwagon. I guess I'm just not appreciated.

ditto.

Maybe because he was getting paid by the Pacers already?

His time was done with the players that were here yes. But now all those players are gone, or are atleast they know they will be gone soon enough, so now we've gotten rid of those players and are in a worse position on the bench.

Wow, what a great message.

"We dumped a coach to appease players that aren't here, or will be leaving soon. We have hired a new coach that runs a philosophy that doesn't work in the playoffs, and is too complex on the defensive end so the players give up easy buckets. We will try to be entertaining on the court, but promise to keep popping up in other sections of the paper, most noteably in the police blotter.

Signed TPTB"

well rick just wrapped up the most troubled four years a coach could probably have (at least on the court/lockerroom) i can imagine he wasn't all that interested in coaching immediately either.

PAID PROFESSIONAL sports writer and he writes this...

Wow. TMZ called Peter, they'd like you to come in for a second interview. Fingers crossed for you buddy, you can do it.

and buzz bissinger says that only bloggers are glib...
http://deadspin.com/386063/closing-out-this-bissinger-business

Since86
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Yes, the year is 1999 and Larry Bird is your head coach.

I was much younger then than I am today, but I remember one hell of an offense constructed by Rick. (Which was put in place after the Brawl when Reggie came back into form.) Rick designs his playbook around his players. We had players that couldn't run, needed structure, and who's best scoring option liked to shoot turn around jumpers. I've never found fault in Rick for going with the most logical offense. I would have liked to see a different one, but that would have required different players, something that I've been all for, for quite some time.

kester99
05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Cuban wants a coach that will take the chains off the offense so he's talking to Rick Carlisle???...

That's the first thing that really jumped out at me. Rick's a good coach, but his style is what it is.