PDA

View Full Version : Cops called to Crean-player meeting

Kaufman
05-01-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080501/SPORTS0601/80501050

Cops called to Crean-player meeting
By Terry Hutchens
Posted: May 1, 2008

A Indiana University basketball player Eli Holman went to IU basketball coach Tom Crean today seeking his release so he could transfer from the school. By the end of the meeting, however, Holman had become so agitated that the IU Police Department was called.

Crean said in a statement from the university that he saw Holman as presenting “a danger to himself.”

IUPD Captain Jerry Minger confirmed that his department was called to the lobby of Assembly Hall at 3:40 p.m. today. According to Minger, his department was called because “there was an agitated, angry black male who had thrown a potted plant of some kind.”

“He apparently hadn’t thrown it at anyone but he was upset and our officers arrived and talked with him,” Minger said. “Within about a minute, athletic director Rick Greenspan began talking to the subject and he calmed down, and they went into an office and spoke. They talked for about an hour, and there were no other problems after that.”

Minger said that no arrests were made because “it didn’t involve a threat and no one felt like there were any hazards or harm that was going to come from the subject.”

In a statement released by the IU athletic media relations department early tonight, Crean explained the situation:

“We met with Eli Holman this afternoon,” Crean said. “He had a good meeting with our assistant coaches earlier in the day. I felt like he still was not sure whether or not he wanted to be here which surprised me because everything we had seen from him had been very positive in terms of staying at Indiana and moving forward.

"I have no idea what made him change his mind and arrive at this point. He indicated that he would like to leave Indiana, although I was hopeful that we could work through this situation to come to an arrangement we both were comfortable with and to take some time to make a decision.

“The conversation was very cordial but unfortunately, it did not end that way. His behavior took me, along with the other people in the office, by surprise. We saw him as a danger to himself and wanted to take precautionary measures to help him. We felt bad for Eli and hopefully were able to help him.

“I do not anticipate Eli being back at Indiana. We will do our best to help him move forward and wish him well.”

not starting off well...

duke dynamite
05-01-2008, 08:19 PM
They are better off without Eli. I'm sure Crean tried to rationalize the situation and he got upset.

I really think Crean was the victim.

Trader Joe
05-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Holman's career is over. Three years out of organzied basketball and now the head coach at Indiana University thinks he is crazy.

heywoode
05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Crimeny....

I think it is pretty obvious that IU will be better off without that kid.

I hope he can get himself back on the road to success.