PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com- Avery Johnson out of Dallas

ThA HoyA
04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
The Dallas Mavericks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=dal) parted company with coach Avery Johnson on Wednesday, a day following the team's first-round exit from the NBA playoffs, ESPN.com has learned.
Speculation about Johnson's future with the franchise had been mounting for weeks, ever since Dallas struggled to reach the playoffs as the seventh seed following its midseason acquisition of point guard Jason Kidd (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2625) from New Jersey.
Johnson became Mavs coach during the 2004-05 season and walks away with a 194-70 record (.735) but only a 23-24 mark in the playoffs. Host New Orleans wrapped up a 4-1 series rout of Dallas with Tuesday night's 99-94 victory.
"This is tough for me," Johnson said after the game, not specifically responding to a question about his job security but struggling to contain his disappointment after the Mavs' second straight flameout in the first round.
NBA front-office offices sources told ESPN.com that both the Mavs and Johnson, feeling that a coaching change was inevitable, wanted to come to a resolution quickly so Dallas could begin interviewing candidates and Johnson could pursue another job.
Sources close to the situation have said that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban actually considered firing Johnson before the playoffs, specifically after Cuban and Johnson engaged in an emotional argument after a March 18 home loss to the Lakers.
Cuban refused to speak with reporters after Tuesday's loss -- Dallas' ninth playoff defeat in a row on the road since taking a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA Finals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

Kofi
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
I'd like to see Rick Carlisle get the Dallas job. He's a better coach than Avery, I think he could get them over the hump.

Young
04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Rick Carlise would be a good coach for Dallas.

I think the players personnel fits well with Rick. Actually I think he could coach about any team but especially that group of players.

Although I question if they have the defensive players capable of winning it all. You look at their starting five and they lack the defense you need to win.

Kstat
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
That was a lock. 2 first round defeats in a row, and neither of them close.

ThA HoyA
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
so do u guys think larry brown is kicking himself because better teams need coaches now lol... or will he all of sudden need a break from coaching and then go coach dallas or phx lol

Kstat
04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Roster quality has never, ever been high on Brown's priority list.

CableKC
04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Geez.....Coaches are dropping like flies. Whose next on the chopping block?

My guess is Sam Mitchell for the Raptors.

Good thing that Carlisle and JVG is still waiting on the sidelines for a Coaching gig. I'm sure that they have the pick of the litter when all the carnage ends.

NapTonius Monk
04-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Geez.....Coaches are dropping like flies. Whose next on the chopping block?

My guess is Sam Mitchell for the Raptors.

Good thing that Carlisle and JVG is still waiting on the sidelines for a Coaching gig. I'm sure that they have the pick of the litter when all the carnage ends.

JVG wouldn't be a bad coach for Phoenix. Now that D'Antonio is out, I'd imagine Sam Mitchell might be sent packing, and MD brought there. He has an athletic big in Bosh, Speed and shooting at the point (Ford, Calderon), Lights out 3 shooting (Kapono), along with Bargnani. I think that's a good fit for him.

Unclebuck
04-30-2008, 02:37 PM
The Mavs talent is way overrated

avoidingtheclowns
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
it makes sense for cuban to bring in carlisle.

the mavs are in a tough spot. you've got a rapidly aging kidd and stack for another year. you've got at least two more of dampier and four more for terry. i'm not sure who does you the favor of taking any of those contracts off your hands this summer --- so bring in a winning coach and a players coach like carlisle who maximizes a team's strengths and see if you can somehow salvage the next few years since you mortaged the future to get kidd.

spreedom
04-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I think the move is probably around a year late...

Young
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Could the Mavs roll the dice and go after Jermiane this summer?

Not for sure the Pacers would like what the Mavs would have to offer though.

idioteque
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Could the Mavs roll the dice and go after Jermiane this summer?

Not for sure the Pacers would like what the Mavs would have to offer though.

I doubt they do. I think one over the hill experiment has proven to be enough for that team.

dohman
04-30-2008, 03:53 PM
The Mavs talent is way overrated

great I finally get away from the slow down basketball on my favorite team and now the team I can actually watch in person and in HD I have to suffer threw it again lol.

Actually I like love rick as a coach. Does anyone wonder if we choose our new coach a year to early with all the wonderful names being on the market now?

NuffSaid
04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
great I finally get away from the slow down basketball on my favorite team and now the team I can actually watch in person and in HD I have to suffer threw it again lol.
In one respect I feel your pain. :p Seriously, I do like RC but it was time for a coaching change was necessary. The players just were not responding to him.

Actually I like love Rick as a coach. Does anyone wonder if we choose our new coach a year to early with all the wonderful names being on the market now?
Naw. JOB has done a fair decent job considering the injuries and other issues that made solidifying a starting 5 difficult throughout the season. Hopefully, next year will be better.

Shade
04-30-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised by this.

Roaming Gnome
04-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Does anyone wonder if we choose our new coach a year to early with all the wonderful names being on the market now?

Nah... We are still short on talent at a few positions and that is something a new coach isn't going to fix. Might as well stick with J. O'B until we have a talent infusion on the team. Anyway, I'm not that sold on D'Antoni or especially Avery Johnson.

AesopRockOn
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
The funny thing is: Avery won COTY in '06 and D'Antoni won it in '05. Guess that award gets old real quick.

idioteque
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM
The funny thing is: Avery won COTY in '06 and D'Antoni won it in '05. Guess that award gets old real quick.

Real, real quick. Sam Mitchell won it last year and there are a lot of rumors that he may be gone from Toronto.

Shade
04-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Real, real quick. Sam Mitchell won it last year and there are a lot of rumors that he may be gone from Toronto.

I warned y'all about Sam Mitchell. :nono:

CableKC
04-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Hmmm.....the curse of the COY award?

Byron Scott better update his resume next year....just in case. :laugh:

sweabs
04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
The Raptors had Media Day yesterday. I was listening to what Colangelo had to say with regards to Sam Mitchell, and he was legitimately upset with some of the reporters for speculating that Sam would be fired (calling them out). He was actually sticking up for Sam, and sounded as if he was behind hiim.

With that said, I'm sure that rumours will continue to fly considering some of the big names that are out there at this time. Especially if D'Antoni can be had (considering his ties to Colangelo).

Hicks
04-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Sucks for him, but not surprising. I'd be curious to see Rick take over that team.

madison
04-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Have the events of the day suggested that coaching is tough? Management (Cuban and Kerr) can't undo the ill-made trades so it blames the coaches and 'fires' them. Personally, I respect Rick C and hope he doesn't go to Dallas. Cuban would be very difficult to work for. If he goes anywhere, I'd rather see him in the East where his coaching philosophy fits better. How 'bout a return to Detroit? That's going to be another open position before the Finals as the Pistons won't be going there (again).