PDA

View Full Version : The NBA - Where preferential treatment happens

Shade
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
XKsS-3j9sfg

http://i27.tinypic.com/iqzhw6.jpg

KG pushes a ref.

Marvin Williams and Kendrick Perkins come off the bench during the altercation.

Stern was IN ATTENDANCE.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3374218

NO SUSPENSIONS.

Now, do I think Williams or Perkins should be suspended? No. But they did step onto the court, and going by the precedent set, and reinforced last year (Amare, Diaw), how can you not suspend them?

And how can Stern justify NOT suspending KG?

Any player or coach guilty of intentional physical contact with an official shall automatically be suspended without pay for one game. A fine and/or longer period of suspension will result if circumstances so dictate.

The NBA shouldn't be able to make up and change rules on the fly. An investigation needs to be done.

travmil
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
I saw this on ESPN news. What a load of crap. After the Pacers got the book thrown at them, and even establishing a playoff precedent last year, to let them off the hook with nothing is a slap in the face. This absolutely ruins what little credibility Stern had left.

count55
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
I would think that all of them suspended. Last year, during the Phoenix debacle I had argued that I wished the league was as doggedly consistent on other rulings as they had been (to that point) on the "leaving the bench" suspension. I'm disappointed that they are not doing the same here.

SycamoreKen
04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
KG is a wuss. He was crying about that little shove. Duncan got suspended for shoving a ref in the course of tha game and got suspended. How can he not get one for shoving a ref out of the way to go after a player?Since the guys only tepped on the court ala Duncan and Bowen last year i doubt they get a game. It's not like they went half way down the court. Plus, the league can't afford the Celtics not making the finals.

Major Cold
04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
I really think that Perkins made more of attempt than Marvin. Marvin sorta looked out and drifted. Perkins made an effort.

KG pushing the ref? I don't know.

SycamoreKen
04-30-2008, 12:07 PM
And, why did Cassell not get thrown out period for instigating further after the thing settled down? Johnson was not even near a Celtic until Sam jumped in.

And yes, KG pushed the ref aside to go back after Pach-whatever his name is.
speeaking of flops, I love the way KG fell back like he got shot when P-man got in his face.

Trader Joe
04-30-2008, 12:49 PM
KG is the biggest fake in this league. He is the new Alonzo.

Unclebuck
04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
They did not leave the bench vicinity - nothing like mare and iaw last season - not even close.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on the KG - ref thing.

Moses
04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
It's ridiculous. I personally didn't want them to be suspended, but how can they not do that after the precedent they set with the Pacers in 04 and the Suns last year?

duke dynamite
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
It just goes to show you that Stern will "protect" all that is "good" in this league.

Fool
04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Everyone would have watched a Pheonix finals no matter who they played. It's ridiculous to think Stern wanted the Spurs (who are notoriously poor at getting ratings) to advance rather than the Suns.

I'm fine with the claim that Stern isn't consistent or that he screws up plenty but you theorists are ridiculous.

ThA HoyA
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Celtics' Walker Suspended for 1 Game

Walker was ejected following his second technical Thursday night after a hard foul on O'Neal with just over four minutes to go. During the confrontation, Walker grabbed referee Tom Washington by the arm in an attempt to move him out of the way. O'Neal shoved Walker in the chest and grabbed his jersey

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27041-2005Apr30.html

thats all that needs to be said...and yes this was in the playoffs..... those celtics announcers sounded sooooo scared in the video clip

Jonathan
04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Jalen Rose caught himself and came back. He got suspended because the Pacers had a good chance to end the Jordan ERA.
If Garnett gets suspended does this end the Celtic's Magic Season?

KG should be suspended. No way he could argue he had no idea that was a ref. The ref did initiate the contact (trying to restrain him) but rules should be rules for everybody.

Unclebuck
04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Jalen Rose caught himself and came back. He got suspended because the Pacers had a good chance to end the Jordan ERA.

OK - you don't think running to the scorers table is different? OK

idioteque
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
It's ridiculous. I personally didn't want them to be suspended, but how can they not do that after the precedent they set with the Pacers in 04 and the Suns last year?

I strongly agree.

Behavior by both the players and office-level officials in the NBA is why I've been watching less basketball and more and more MLB and NFL over the last five years or so. I still love my Pacers because of all the great memories I have from them as a kid, but if they ever moved cities or the franchise dismanteled, I'd say to hell with the NBA, their star structure, and their crappy contract policy altogether.

And to hell with you, David Stern. You basically destroyed one of the best franchises in sports in the 1990's and refuse to at least utilize that precedent on other teams.

And Garnett is a chump. My prediction right here, right now, is that he will never win an NBA title.

SoupIsGood
04-30-2008, 02:43 PM
KG is the biggest fake in this league.

Yep.

I wonder if he's punched out any teammates recently.

NuffSaid
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
They did not leave the bench vicinity - nothing like mare and iaw last season - not even close.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on the KG - ref thing.
It's about fair and equal treatment under the "law" which is the NBA rules, not picking and choosing which player/team gets penalize just because you dislike one player/team over another or you just don't feel like dispensing punishment today.

The player(s) coming off the bench I'd be willing to let slide because they never left the bench area. However, if you recall a few years back when Ron Artest merely took a step onto the court and then returned to the bench of his own accord, did he get any leeway? I rest my case!

KG should have received a 1-game suspension for his "intentional physical contact" with the ref. I could excuse it if he didn't know who had grabbed him, but he did! It was the same ref who initially pulled him from the frey and held onto him throughout the ordeal until KG shoved him aside. No, it wasn't a hard shove, but there certainly was some anger behind it.

And as has already been pointed out, the Commis was in attendance and yet nothing. How he could just sit back and do nothing when precedence has clearly been established is beyond me.

AesopRockOn
04-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Can we get some Witnesses in here?

madison
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
The NBA wants a Lakers - Celtic finals, one way or the other. if Garnett had ended up in Indy in a summer 2007 trade for JO and then made the same mistake in blue and gold, he would have been suspended for one game. Stern's no friend of justice. We might as well get over it.

AesopRockOn
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
The NBA wants a Lakers - Celtic finals, one way or the other. if Garnett had ended up in Indy in a summer 2007 trade for JO and then made the same mistake in blue and gold, he would have been suspended for one game. Stern's no friend of justice. We might as well get over it.

Don't mean we can't ***** about it. :-p

Robertmto
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
shade if u watched the game closely, u would have seen that the ref was holdin kg back and thats just a damn good picture for ur type of argument. in all actuality kg did nothing to the ref

GO!!!!!
04-30-2008, 11:19 PM
isen't Stern due for retierment, hasen't he been in charge since like 1984 ??

Basketball Fan
04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
http://members.cox.net/enigmatics3/pics/hypocrisy3.jpg

:laugh:

idioteque
04-30-2008, 11:47 PM
shade if u watched the game closely, u would have seen that the ref was holdin kg back and thats just a damn good picture for ur type of argument. in all actuality kg did nothing to the ref

Watch it again. At about the 15 second mark Garnett obviously pushes away the ref.

MyFavMartin
05-01-2008, 01:08 AM
The ref actually initiates the contact. I don't have a problem with KG getting upset... It appears to me as though KG was fouled, it wasn't called, which makes him upset, and then Pachulia hangs on his shoulder and then shortly after stoppage of play gets in his face as well as initiates contact with the non-violent, minor head butt.

Anything beyond a technical or two and it's nit-picking. A little bit of emotion and passion is a good thing, especially for the playoffs. Like Uncle Reg said the other night, let me play against your best players.... and this is playoff basketball.

You want to discuss conspiracy though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tgN5DGHWXM

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0303/1344753.html

pacers31tc
05-01-2008, 01:09 AM
This is ridiculous...

I feel cheated.

Mourning
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Ehmm.. this brings back memories of suspensions our team received for EXACTLY the samething as Williams and Perkins apparantly did. Conspiracy? No. Double standards? How could you see it any other way?

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Jonathan
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
OK - you don't think running to the scorers table is different? OK

I am going back ten years, but he did not run to the table he stepped on the court, corrected himself, came back and was suspended. The Bulls blew us out the next game & Hoiberg got a lot of minutes. This is a ten year old debate and I am not blaming the officials but Jalen Rose's suspension was ridiculous.

Hicks
05-01-2008, 11:03 AM
As I recall in '98 Rose ran to the scorers table, then ran back.

It was in '04 that Artest ran onto the court, then ran back.

Naptown_Seth
05-01-2008, 12:35 PM
And it's the Ron version that I would point to as the strongest version of injustice hidden behind "letter of the law". The guy caught himself and came right back, didn't get near anyone, didn't have to be pulled back. In fact I'd see the argument that Ron should have been commended for "getting it" with that rule, that it showed that the rule was working.

Instead of recognizing that fact Stern fell back on "out of my hands, words have been written on paper".

It's that attitude that has people ripping on Stern when he lets other things slide. Ron stayed in the bench area, but feet on floor = game suspended.

grace
05-01-2008, 03:24 PM
isen't Stern due for retierment, hasen't he been in charge since like 1984 ??

Yes, he's been around that long and no he's not going to retire. It would take a major coo to overthrow him and I don't see that happening anytime soon. He must have major blackmail stuff on everyone in the league (or is that Stephon Marbury, I get those two confused.)

This is ridiculous...

I feel cheated.

Get used to it.

idioteque
05-02-2008, 12:55 PM
The ref actually initiates the contact.

And KG finishes the contact by pushing the ref away. The ref has the right to break up the players, but KG doesn't have the right to push him away.

Jonathan
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Darius Songalia suspended for game six?

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10809852

They should have suspeded Heywood if Songalia is getting suspended.

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Darius Songalia suspended for game six?

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10809852

They should have suspeded Heywood if Songalia is getting suspended.

Does anyone have video of this incident?

Kstat
05-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Heywood was "suspended" for the 2nd half of game 2.

Kstat
05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
3p-HsSfehsA

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm not great lover of LBJ (he gets away with way too much), but that was a cheap shot by Songaila. Definitely deserving of a suspension, IMO.

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Btw, is it just me, or does the playoff atmosphere seem to be a bit chippier than usual this season? Lots of incidents going on so far. Looks like some new rivalries may be budding.

Mourning
05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
That's called a punch? Seems more like someone trying to get his hands loose again in a little irritated fashion. I thought what happenned between the Celtics and Hawks was more serious and deserving of a suspension both while looking a jurisprudence and what actually happenned.

count55
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Btw, is it just me, or does the playoff atmosphere seem to be a bit chippier than usual this season? Lots of incidents going on so far. Looks like some new rivalries may be budding.

Isn't this like the third year in a row that Washington has played Cleveland in the first round? It's the second year in a row for Utah-Houston. We already know about the Phoenix-SA history. That's how this stuff gets wired up.

Jonathan
05-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not great lover of LBJ (he gets away with way too much), but that was a cheap shot by Songaila. Definitely deserving of a suspension, IMO.

That is not worthy of a suspension. IMO!
James is a lot quicker than Darius. LJ blows by him and they get tangled up. Foul is called (Fine) but Darius never clinches his fist, squars up and punches him. It is was not as a bad as the Elbow Lebron threw on Blatche. This series has had a lot of trash talk, hard fouls, and they wait to game six to suspend somebody. Terrible!

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM
That is not worthy of a suspension. IMO!
James is a lot quicker than Darius. LJ blows by him and they get tangled up. Foul is called (Fine) but Darius never clinches his fist, squars up and punches him. It is was not as a bad as the Elbow Lebron threw on Blatche. This series has had a lot of trash talk, hard fouls, and they wait to game six to suspend somebody. Terrible!

It looked like a closed-fist jab to me.

I do agree on the inconsistencies in punishments, though. In fact, that's what this whole thread is about. ;)

Jonathan
05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
If Darius would have squard up and thrown a right hand after the initial contact. Then, Yes Fine Suspend HIM. But that is a forearm push off under the chin. If he did not hit Lebron near his face he would never been suspended. Garnett should have been suspended if Darius is suspended. Garnett just did his push off lower on ZAZA' body no where near his face. Darius Songalia does not sell many Jersey's Though.

AesopRockOn
05-02-2008, 03:18 PM
This some bull**** but everyone already knows that. The Wizards should have a very legitimate complaint that Ilgauskas should be suspended for his retaliation (which was a much harder hit for those of you who haven't been hit in the face before). It's with 33 or 32 seconds left on that Lebron dunk: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3376078&n8pe6c=2.

Hicks
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I read about this first, and I was totally in Songalia's corner from the way it was described. Now that I see the video, it looks to me like he back-hands James on his own accord.

OnlyPacersLeft
05-02-2008, 05:56 PM
but i'll be damned if someone pops the nba's golden child they get suspended! see ya songailia!

rock747
05-05-2008, 12:24 AM
The NBA's inconsistency is very troubling to the dedicated fan... the NBA really IS more entertainment than sport now it seems..

duke dynamite
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I thought there was only one Harlem Globetrotters...

Robertmto
05-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Darius' hit was not worthy of a suspension, but LBJ flopped good enuff that Stern hit the speed dial