PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from seeing Iron Man...

Shade
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
And all I can say is:

Un

****ing

believable.

I don't feel that I'm exaggerating at all when I say it was every bit as good as Spider-Man 2 and X2.

Wow.

Watch it, then watch it again, lather, rinse, and repeat.

The casting was perfect. The special effects were perfect. The blend of action and comedy was perfect.

Amazing, amazing movie. I can't wait to see it many more times.

P.S. Stan Lee as Hugh Hefner made my day. :rotflmao:

LoneGranger33
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
BUT...
Was it better than Spiderman 3?

Before you answer...make sure to revisit this gem of a scene:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hrPY8APUgPE&feature=related

(still too lazy to embed)

Hicks
04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
How'd you manage to see it THREE days before release? I've heard of Thursday night showings, but Tuesday?

Shade
04-29-2008, 11:25 PM
How'd you manage to see it THREE days before release? I've heard of Thursday night showings, but Tuesday?

They had a sneak showing at the Circle Center theater. I won tickets at a comic show a couple weeks ago. They were giving away 100 tickets to people who signed up, and there weren't even 100 people there, so it was pretty much a sure thing.

bellisimo
04-30-2008, 04:13 AM
really? its already out here in theaters...I didn't have the chance to catch it yet...hopefully over the 4 day weekend I can check it out

Shade
05-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Just a friendly reminder to get your asses out there today and see this ****ing movie!

Hicks
05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I just got back from seeing it myself. I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Suaveness
05-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Just came back from seeing it. Great movie. Downey Jr and Paltrow really make this movie

Pig Nash
05-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I loved it!

It was really well cast. Bridges was really good. Downey Jr. was excellent.

His little thing he did with the earpieces was really creepy and good

Hicks
05-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Did anyone else stay until after the credits? I did only because a post on another forum talked about it.

Nice touch to have Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, and I believe there really is an Avengers movie coming soon so this is a NICE crossover/setup, but I have my doubts as to how that movie will work with so many heroes on the screen. Still, neat crossover.

Shade
05-03-2008, 01:44 AM
For whatever reason, that wasn't in the credits at the preview screening.

Oh well. Gives me a reason to see it again. :D

Hicks
05-03-2008, 11:35 AM
To clarify, it's not DURING the credits it's AFTER the credits.

Pig Nash
05-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Me and my girlfriend left before the credits ended because we had reservations. Damn!

Lord Helmet
05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
BUT...
Was it better than Spiderman 3?

Before you answer...make sure to revisit this gem of a scene:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hrPY8APUgPE&feature=related

(still too lazy to embed)
EVERYTHING IS BETTER THAN SPIDER-MAN 3.

Anyways back to good movie discussion:

Me and a friend saw it last night and it was really good, I agree with everything Shade has said about it.

I'm ready to see it again.

I give the movie a B+ but I may be inclined to give it an A after I see it again.

Great movie.

Only thing I had a problem with was the main villian seemed a little lame, but really it could have been much worse, but I loved how they didn't add in a cliche love story, they made sure to keep it simple. Loved that.

Shade
05-03-2008, 11:52 PM
To clarify, it's not DURING the credits it's AFTER the credits.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Either way, it wasn't there.

bellisimo
05-04-2008, 09:20 AM
for those that has missed the little footage after the credits...here you go:

QGgLZFdINpg&fmt

Unclebuck
05-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I saw it yesterday and it was really good, and I generally don't like these types of movies. In fact the only one I liked better was the most recent Batman.

Iron man was better than any of the 3 Spiderman movies. Yes even better than Spiderman 2.

Robert Downey Jr. was excellent, and the humor is maybe what I liked about it so much. I also really appreciated that it wasn't all action.

I'll make a prediction Iron Man will be my favorite movie this whole summer

Suaveness
05-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I saw it yesterday and it was really good, and I generally don't like these types of movies. In fact the only one I liked better was the most recent Batman.

Iron man was better than any of the 3 Spiderman movies. Yes even better than Spiderman 2.

Robert Downey Jr. was excellent, and the humor is maybe what I liked about it so much. I also really appreciated that it wasn't all action.

I'll make a prediction Iron Man will be my favorite movie this whole summer

You might have to change your mind once you see The Dark Knight....

But I did really enjoy this movie as well. Though I'd like to see it a 2nd time, I need to save my money for other movies coming out in coming weeks (Narnia/Mr. Jones)

rexnom
05-06-2008, 04:33 AM
Mandarin talk:
So...is Raza Mandarin? Not only was he playing with his ring but he was part of an organization called "the ten rings." Let's hear from TPTB:

"The real Iron Man fans know his big nemesis is the Mandarin," Tahir continued. "The way this is set up is that Raza is the only connection to the Mandarin that you have in the movie. Hopefully there will be more Iron Man movies and this film will be the groundwork for those. In this Iron Man movie, Mandarin is a faceless identity, we don't know who he is or where he is. Raza is his right hand man. Is he the conduit for Iron Man to find Mandarin and have a show down? Does Raza become the Mandarin? We don't know. They needed an element to tie everything to a larger story of Iron Man versus the Mandarin, yet they didn't want to give it all up in the first movie and have a massive showdown right now. They needed to stretch this into a trilogy -- hopefully."
SHH!: Can you talk about what villains we might be seeing in the second and third films?
Favreau: I think Mandarin for sure, I think War Machine for sure. I think you gotta go with War Machine, you gotta give Terrence more to do. He really had to be patient in this one, and he could have been Tony Stark, know what I mean? If we wanted to go against the grain of what was in the books. He characterizes that, and once you break him out of the role that he was relegated to in this one, I think he could go toe-to-toe with Robert, and it could be a cool buddy set-up. Then you need some big bad guys, and I think the bad guys are going to be tech-based for the most part, seeing what's worked about this film.

(In our exclusive interview, Favreau elaborated more on the Mandarin's role that's hinted at in the first movie: "We have the Ten Rings which is a tip of the hat to the Mandarin, which is the greater villain that is going to emerge; the guy who is the head of the bad guys is not somebody who is representing religious zealotry, but is instead really a warlord looking to conquer an empire.)Hmm...Raza did have a lot of talk about Genghis Khan and conquering Asia, kind of ambitious for a random terrorist. Oh, and who is a descendant of Genghis Khan? That's right. Mandarin. This is NOT a coincidence.

Btw, I loved the "I am Iron Man" ending. It was a great twist for all us Marvel junkies who expected Iron Man to be Stark's body guard alter ego. Also, it seems so much more in line with Stark's character. RDJ played it off perfectly, of course.

N8R
05-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Great movie. I want to see the sequels. Are they out in Japan yet?

Peck
05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
When I heard that RDJ was going to play Stark I was less than thrilled.

You see I like Spiderman and I like the X-Men but when you are getting into Avengers characters you are now striking near and dear to my heart and other than Cap, there is nobody more an Avenger than Iron Man.

However I was just blown away by his portrayal of Stark.

This is casting along the lines of Lord Of the Rings, where the actor so accurately plays the character that I can't imagine anyone else doing it even half as well.

That said, I really liked this movie. I don't want to say I loved it yet because I do want to see it again. But right now I think I am going to put this up there with Batman (89) and DareDevil as one of my favorite comic character movies.

But once I see it again I will determain how much I loved it.

rexnom
05-07-2008, 06:04 PM

You see I like Spiderman and I like the X-Men but when you are getting into Avengers characters you are now striking near and dear to my heart and other than Cap, there is nobody more an Avenger than Iron Man.

However I was just blown away by his portrayal of Stark.

This is casting along the lines of Lord Of the Rings, where the actor so accurately plays the character that I can't imagine anyone else doing it even half as well.

That said, I really liked this movie. I don't want to say I loved it yet because I do want to see it again. But right now I think I am going to put this up there with Batman (89) and DareDevil as one of my favorite comic character movies.

But once I see it again I will determain how much I loved it.
Please tell me you misspoke. Daredevil was awful.

Hicks
05-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Daredevil was OK.

bellisimo
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Daredevil was OK.

It was certainly no Electra :-p

Shade
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Daredevil and Electra were both okay. So was the first Hulk movie.

If we want to talk "awful," watch the original, unreleased Fantastic Four flick and then get back to me. :puke:

Peck
05-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Please tell me you misspoke. Daredevil was awful.

Not at all. I loved some of the things in Daredevil. Would I have preferred a differant actor to play Matt Murdock? Yes.

However I absolutely loved Colin Ferrell as Bullseye and Micheal Clark Duncan and Wilson Fisk.

Also it was much better the second and third time I watched it compared to the first time.

Of course I am a huge Daredevil fan so that does make a differance.

Los Angeles
05-07-2008, 10:58 PM
I can see how a Daredevil fan might like the movie - the makers did a good job of respecting the source material.

But in terms of judging it strictly as a movie, it wasn't very good. The story was crappy, the line delivery was over the top even for a superhero movie, the fight scenes were all wire, no fire. After I watched it, the first thought that popped into my head was the depression that I would never get those two hours of my life back. Yes, it was that bad.

But Fantastic Four was even worse. Totally fake, totally cheesy, totally awful.

EDIT - OH, I forgot to say that I just left Iron Man. I was thoroughly entertained. Not the best of the superhero genre, but in the honor roll.

EDIT EDIT - The best superhero movie in my opinion (other than the 1970's Superman) is Unbreakable. Love that movie, it has to be the best superhero origin story put on film. Just my two cents.

Shade
05-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Unbreakable was indeed a good flick.

Kegboy
05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I enjoy Daredevil. Sound is important to me, and it doesn't get much better.

Electra is really quite awful though. How you can have Jennifer Garner in that getup and still **** up that badly is just shocking ineptitude.

SycamoreKen
05-07-2008, 11:34 PM
The Captain America movie was pretty bad.

SycamoreKen
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM

The Avengers was my first Marvel comic, I love Iron Man and the Vision, before he got all emotional. I'm looking forward to the Avengers movie in the future. They are even making an Ant-man one. I wonder if it will be Pym or the guy that took over for him. Pym was more messed up than Stark after a while.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/movies/stories/D_IMAGE.118eaf352b3.93.88.fa.d0.b0d32e18.jpg

Pic doesn't go with the story below but this one:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/movies/stories/MYSA043008.0P.boxoffice.b0c97dd5.html

http://www.filmfodder.com/scifi/archives/2008/05/new_marvel_movi.shtml
New Marvel Movies!
Spurred by the success of "Iron Man", Marvel has announced a new set of movies that will be released in 2010 and 2011.

The first movie planned to hit the theaters is the "Iron Man" sequel, creatively titled "Iron Man 2" at the moment. The release date will be April 30, 2010. A "Thor" movie will be released in the summer of 2010 also. I like "Thor", but it's clearly a set up for something bigger.

The 'something bigger' comes in 2011. "The First Avenger: Captain America" will be released in early 2011. Now, although I agree with the ScreenRant guys that they should "...lose the front-half of that title...", I am really stoked for a Cap movie. "Captain America" is an iconic figure; sure, he will probably be fighting terrorism of some kind, but with Cap, it will be believable and interesting. I know that Cap can come off as corny or old-fashioned, but the incarnations in the last few years have all been very strong. Is it too early to call this the "Iron Man" of 2011?

I'll answer my own question and say - yeah, it's too early. The real "Iron Man" of 2011 will be "The Avengers"!!!

"The Avengers" movie has been highly anticipated for years. But, with the introduction of "Iron Man", "Thor" and "Captain America", they have the basis of the team. I can do without the addition of the "Hulk", as I started reading those books well after he was gone from the team. Notably, there is no mention of the "Hulk" in the press release, so Marvel may be thinking along the same lines. To be honest, I hope they skip forward in time a bit and complete the team with the "Scarlet Witch" and "Quicksilver" (or even Vision), rather than go with the more traditional starting team membership (i.e. "Hulk", "Ant-man" and the "Wasp"). But, that's just me.

Hopefully, this will be a franchise for years!

Here is another link to a Marvel movies preview. I won't cut and paste since it has pics. By the way, the Ant-Man write up is incorrect. Pym was Giant Man before he was Ant Man if i remember my old comics correctly.

http://thebraxcave.com/2008/02/19/upcoming-marvel-movies-2/

rexnom
05-08-2008, 12:14 AM
The Avengers was my first Marvel comic, I love Iron Man and the Vision, before he got all emotional. I'm looking forward to the Avengers movie in the future. They are even making an Ant-man one. I wonder if it will be Pym or the guy that took over for him. Pym was more messed up than Stark after a while.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/movies/stories/D_IMAGE.118eaf352b3.93.88.fa.d0.b0d32e18.jpg

Pic doesn't go with the story below but this one:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/movies/stories/MYSA043008.0P.boxoffice.b0c97dd5.html

http://www.filmfodder.com/scifi/archives/2008/05/new_marvel_movi.shtml
New Marvel Movies!
Spurred by the success of "Iron Man", Marvel has announced a new set of movies that will be released in 2010 and 2011.

The first movie planned to hit the theaters is the "Iron Man" sequel, creatively titled "Iron Man 2" at the moment. The release date will be April 30, 2010. A "Thor" movie will be released in the summer of 2010 also. I like "Thor", but it's clearly a set up for something bigger.

The 'something bigger' comes in 2011. "The First Avenger: Captain America" will be released in early 2011. Now, although I agree with the ScreenRant guys that they should "...lose the front-half of that title...", I am really stoked for a Cap movie. "Captain America" is an iconic figure; sure, he will probably be fighting terrorism of some kind, but with Cap, it will be believable and interesting. I know that Cap can come off as corny or old-fashioned, but the incarnations in the last few years have all been very strong. Is it too early to call this the "Iron Man" of 2011?

I'll answer my own question and say - yeah, it's too early. The real "Iron Man" of 2011 will be "The Avengers"!!!

"The Avengers" movie has been highly anticipated for years. But, with the introduction of "Iron Man", "Thor" and "Captain America", they have the basis of the team. I can do without the addition of the "Hulk", as I started reading those books well after he was gone from the team. Notably, there is no mention of the "Hulk" in the press release, so Marvel may be thinking along the same lines. To be honest, I hope they skip forward in time a bit and complete the team with the "Scarlet Witch" and "Quicksilver" (or even Vision), rather than go with the more traditional starting team membership (i.e. "Hulk", "Ant-man" and the "Wasp"). But, that's just me.

Hopefully, this will be a franchise for years!

Here is another link to a Marvel movies preview. I won't cut and paste since it has pics. By the way, the Ant-Man write up is incorrect. Pym was Giant Man before he was Ant Man if i remember my old comics correctly.

http://thebraxcave.com/2008/02/19/upcoming-marvel-movies-2/
Pym was ant-man then Giant Man then Goliath then Yellowjacket.

I think it would be great if they could do the Ultron saga somehow. Maybe change it so that Stark invented Ultron or something.

Peck
05-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Well from what I gather with the whole Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury thing, my guess is this version of the Avengers will be the Ultimates and not the traditional Avengers of the Marvel universe.

I will also assume that Steve Rogers will be Captain America.

campy
05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Iron Man was good. I enjoyed it as did my lady friend.

As for the Advengers Movie that could either be really good or bad. Think about it. Combining superheroes isn't always a good thing. Look at the mid-90s Batman movies once Robin hit the scene. I'll go and see it but I am much more pessimistic after seening the Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Clovefield. Add Waterworld to that movie and you have the list of the sorriest movies ever.

Iron Man was good. Let us all hope that it doesn't peak with the first one.

MyFavMartin
05-08-2008, 02:46 PM
A GI JOE movie is currently being filmed! :dance:

Possible Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow spin-off movie? :dance:

rexnom
05-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Iron Man was good. I enjoyed it as did my lady friend.

As for the Advengers Movie that could either be really good or bad. Think about it. Combining superheroes isn't always a good thing. Look at the mid-90s Batman movies once Robin hit the scene. I'll go and see it but I am much more pessimistic after seening the Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Clovefield. Add Waterworld to that movie and you have the list of the sorriest movies ever.

Iron Man was good. Let us all hope that it doesn't peak with the first one.
I think multiple superheroes is always tough. The only way to pull it off is if you have a definite lead, like Wolverine. And even in the X-Men's case, some of those last battles were awkward (especially in the first one).

Shade
05-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Pym was ant-man then Giant Man then Goliath then Yellowjacket.

And now he's a Skrull.

Shade
05-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Well from what I gather with the whole Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury thing, my guess is this version of the Avengers will be the Ultimates and not the traditional Avengers of the Marvel universe.

I will also assume that Steve Rogers will be Captain America.

The movies are in their own continuity, though it does seem like they're trying to cross the 616 universe with the Ultimate universe somewhat. Probably explains SM3's Eddie Brock.

rexnom
05-09-2008, 02:41 AM
And now he's a Skrull.
He's what?!!

I haven't read marvel in years...god, I'm so behind.

SycamoreKen
05-10-2008, 05:32 PM
The wife and i saw Iron Man yesterday and it was very good. She did not think she would like it, but after it was over she said that she had. Downey was dead on and did a great job. GP was very good as well. Good chemistry between the two of them. I even liked the guy that played Rhodes. Hopefully he suits up in the next one.

Saw the preview for the new Hulk flick and liked the looks of it. It seems a little deeper than the last one looked. The special effects look better too.

SoupIsGood
05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I just saw it. No way is this as great as either of the first two Spidey movies, but it was still pretty good. Some pretty lame parts of the movie though, especially the main villain.

RDJ was good, but sometimes he got a little annoying. He always talks in that quiet, whispy little voice--gets old.

Since86
05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Watched it online, so the quality was a bit grainy, but I liked it a lot.

I've never been into reading actual comics, so I don't know how it fits with the story line and all, but I thought it was highly entertaining.