PDA

View Full Version : So Much for The Celtics Sweeping the #8 Seed

naptownmenace
04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Did anyone else watch that game last night and wonder, if only for a minute, what if the Pacers had made the playoffs and stole 2 games from the Celts like the Hawks have?

What impact would that've had on the team? I think it would be similar to how the Pacers surprised everyone in 1991 and took the Boston Celtics, the national media, and Pacers fans alike by surprise by tying the series at 2-2. Many a new Pacer fan emerged from that series - the same way that the Hawks fanbase has been re-energized by their surprising play against Boston.

No one expected the Hawks (or any 8th seeded team) to win a single game against the mighty Celts. So now that they've punched the mean green in the mouth 2 games in-a-row what are we supposed to make of it?

Yeah, I'm sure the Celts will win the next 2 games and roll through the rest of the playoffs now that they've had their wake up call but I think the Hawks still have gained a lot from this experience. I can't help but think that if the Pacers had made the playoffs and stole 2 games that this would've really established a new identity for the team - centered around Granger and Dunleavy - something that this team really needs during this transition phase.

Oh well, too bad it didn't happen but I can't help but admit that I feel a little happy for the Hawks and their 15 true fans that stuck with them the past 9 seasons.

Kofi
04-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Hawks have younger, hungrier, more talented players than us.

Playoffs or not, our season would've already been over by now.

Since86
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
No.

Athleticly the Hawks are far and away better than Indy, and that's what is keeping ATL's head above water.

duke dynamite
04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
I dunno, I would've loved to see us on national TV in HD!

Those awesome TV spots with two players from opposing teams reading off a speech. Just imagine Danny doing that. OMG.

LoneGranger33
04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I dunno, I would've loved to see us on national TV in HD!

Those awesome TV spots with two players from opposing teams reading off a speech. Just imagine Danny doing that. OMG.

Yeah, it would have been great to see the left half of Danny's face on national TV. To be honest, though, the right half leaves something to be desired.

AesopRockOn
04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
To be honest, though, the right half leaves something to be desired.

Is this a TWSS?

Oh yeah, and the players don't have anyone near the level of Joe Johnson at the end of games.

Shade
04-29-2008, 03:21 PM
The Pacers still would have been smoked in 4.

CableKC
04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Honestly, I don't think that we would have fared better then the Hawks against the Celtics.

I agree with Since86 on this......the Hawks are way more hungrier then we are. In fact....I think that we would be down 3-1 by now.

I'm glad that we actually fought to the end to try to get into the Big Dance....but I don't think that we are good enough to have tied up the series 2-2.

AesopRockOn
04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
And the Pacers don't have a homecourt advantage. The Hawks fans were out of their minds.

ThA HoyA
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
so who do you guys think gets suspended?

naptownmenace
04-29-2008, 03:28 PM
The Pacers still would have been smoked in 4.

Meh... all you naysayers said the same thing about the Hawks.

The Hawks looked like crap the last week of the season and during the first two games. This is the same Hawks team that the Pacers manhandled one week before the end of the season.

Nobody knows what's going to happen during the playoffs. That's why they play the games.

Since86
04-29-2008, 03:30 PM
ATL would have been in a lot better position had they started off the season with Bibby.

He might not be the typical PG, but he is a scoring threat and it's causing lanes to open up for both JJ and Smith that they didn't have before.

Pig Nash
04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Did someone just favor Atlanta's crowd to ours? I didn't think we could sink much lower, but we just did.

RGnome
04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm glad that the Hawks made it. Heck, I have never seen a crowd in Atlanta for any sport that fired up for a long time.

Even if the Pacers did make the play-offs and showed something, I'd be afraid that our fans would still stay at home and we would have crowds of 11,000 and a sea of green seats.

Unlike in Atlanta, our fans are not going to show up magically for the play-offs because they feel they are still sending a message to managment.

In the meantime...
Let's go Hawks!!!

spreedom
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
The Hawks play a lot harder than the P's do...

Twes
04-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I've wondered what the reaction to the Hawks winning two games would be.

I'm not a Celtics fan but I do feel it's good for the NBA to have a power team in the east.

The Hawks playing them tough in my mind detracts from the overall playoffs because it weakens the Celtics. They don't seem very good right now and therefore I have a hard time thinking they will challenge whomever comes out of the west.

Of course they could go on and look strong and all will be restored.

I understand your point about fans in Atlanta and what could have been here, but I just don't think the players that will win here are here yet. I miss that energy here and look forward to it's return.

Unclebuck
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Good question, and yes I was thinking about that.

Who knows how the pacers would have done. No one ever knows how certain players will respond to the playoffs. Certain players rise up and become monsters and other shrink. Just think if Reggie never was on a good enough team to make the playoff - just think how his reputation would be different.

But yes it would have been embarrasing to be not only the only team not to sell out, but to have as many Celktics fans there as pacers fans and still only have about 12 or 13 thousand would have been a disgrace.

Infinite MAN_force
04-29-2008, 04:33 PM
The Hawks play a lot harder than the P's do...

Yeah they were sure playing hard when we throttled them while we were still fighting them for a playoff spot...

IMO in that series I think we win one game. We do lack the athleticism, but when we have one of those nights where the outside shots are falling we become almost unbeatable. I think we would be bound to have at least one really hot shooting night in that series.

Moses
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
In terms of pure athleticism, the Hawks are probably top 3 in the league. They have the talent there to be a great team so it is no surprise they have a few games where they make you go "Wow."

Kemo
04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Good question, and yes I was thinking about that.

Who knows how the pacers would have done. No one ever knows how certain players will respond to the playoffs. Certain players rise up and become monsters and other shrink. Just think if Reggie never was on a good enough team to make the playoff - just think how his reputation would be different.

agree +1 FTW

lol

The playoffs is where legends are born and all stars formed.. even if we didn't get far in the playoffs it would be very good to see DG or Dun , or maybe even an unexpected player on our team step up and make a name for himself...

grace
04-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Did someone just favor Atlanta's crowd to ours? I didn't think we could sink much lower, but we just did.

Well, if the Pacers miss the playoffs for 8 years and then finally make it back in I'm sure the crowd will be great. But then again I remember some playoff games against Detroit where I felt like I was the only one cheering.

NuffSaid
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Did anyone else watch that game last night and wonder, if only for a minute, what if the Pacers had made the playoffs and stole 2 games from the Celts like the Hawks have?
Sure. The playoff experience the young Hawks are getting is exactly what I wanted for the young Pacers whether they got swept or not. Experience matters! And if, by chance, they did win a game or two handily that would have only been icing on the cake as far as this fan is concerned.

No one expected the Hawks (or any 8th seeded team) to win a single game against the mighty Celts. I did! The Hawks are much too athletic and play at a higher tempo than the Celtics. I saw the way they out-hustled so many team off the glass and figured as long as the don't fall into a half-court game (because they're not a very good catch-n-shoot team), they'd give the Celtics a run for their money.

So now that they've punched the mean green in the mouth 2 games in-a-row what are we supposed to make of it?
That the team that has all but been handed the title before even playing 1 playoff game isn't so invincible afterall.

Yeah, I'm sure the Celts will win the next 2 games and roll through the rest of the playoffs ....
...I'm not so sure of that...

...now that they've had their wake up call but I think the Hawks still have gained a lot from this experience. I can't help but think that if the Pacers had made the playoffs and stole 2 games that this would've really established a new identity for the team - centered around Granger and Dunleavy - something that this team really needs during this transition phase.

Oh well, too bad it didn't happen but I can't help but admit that I feel a little happy for the Hawks and their 15 true fans that stuck with them the past 9 seasons.
Well, maybe the Pacers can have some of that luck next year.

Major Cold
04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
better talented or not, our players giving the same scenario would be more postive than negative. But without a supporting crowd...That might actually convince the ownership to set sail to Seattle after the Conseco lease.

Trader Joe
04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Has nobody pointed out the fact that Joe Johnson and Josh Smith would be the two best players on the Pacers?

mb221
04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Has nobody pointed out the fact that Joe Johnson and Josh Smith would be the two best players on the Pacers?

Joe Johnson, sure...

Josh Smith, not so much...

Trader Joe
04-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Joe Johnson, sure...

Josh Smith, not so much...

Smith is better than Granger and Dunleavy. Granger might end up better than him, but Smith's D is miles ahead of Danny's.

mb221
04-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Smith is better than Granger and Dunleavy. Granger might end up better than him, but Smith's D is miles ahead of Danny's.

Meh. Granger > Smith.

Oneal07
04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
IT's the PLAYOFFS. . I'm happy the Hawks got those two wins, they out played and out hustled the Celtics.

In the playoffs you just have to show how much you want it, and hopefully get a win.

Trader Joe
04-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Meh. Granger > Smith.

How do you figure?

rexnom
04-30-2008, 01:44 AM
I'd say that Horford is better than Granger too.

BillS
04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Much as I like Johnson, I don't know that I'd trade Danny for him. I certainly wouldn't swap Danny for Josh.

Kegboy
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
I would trade rosters with Atlanta without a second thought. In fact, I can't think of one player I wouldn't trade for the corresponding player on their roster (provided that Jeff's corresponding player is Horford, not Zaza.)

McKeyFan
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Much as I like Johnson, I don't know that I'd trade Danny for him. I certainly wouldn't swap Danny for Josh.

I'd trade Danny for either. Quickly.

Moses
04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
I disagree only because Josh Smith looks like The Game (rapper).

Trader Joe
04-30-2008, 04:43 PM

I'd trade Danny for JJ in a second. Dun plays the three with JJ at the two.

Danny for Smith would also be a no brainer for the Pacers. Smith is younger with similar production and arguably a ton more upside.

Atlanta wouldn't take Danny for either of those guys, and as much as I like Danny they wouldn't take him for Horford either.

IMO, Atlanta has the best future of any team in the East right now.

AesopRockOn
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
That no one is suspended for a game in this series after the KG shoving and the players leaving the bench is a blatant demonstration that the David Stern hates the Suns (and I guess he loves Boston?).

SoupIsGood
04-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Isn't Smith kind of a headcase? Seems like I remember something like that.