PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reporting Larry Brown to Charlotte....

Taterhead
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Great hire by the Bobcats. I think this will definately help them lure a big name free agent. Kinda surprised Larry isn't going to hold out to see what happens in Dallas and Pheonix. But a big move by Charlotte, they should definately make the playoffs next year.

Major Cold
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Does Felton get better or benched?

LoneGranger33
04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Neither. I don't think there are any options at backup.

CableKC
04-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Is having 2 strongwilled individuals in Jordan and Brown ( that both have their own vision on how to run a team ) going to be a good or bad thing?

Brown seems to be the type of Coach that seems to do better if he is left to do what he does best without interference from the FO.....but having Jordan ( who wants things done his way ) as a very hands on Boss seems to be a fight/conflict waiting to happen.

count55
04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Is having 2 strongwilled individuals in Jordan and Brown ( that both have their own vision on how to run a team ) going to be a good or bad thing?

Brown seems to be the type of Coach that seems to do better if he is left to do what he does best without interference from the FO.....but having Jordan ( who wants things done his way ) as a very hands on Boss seems to be a fight/conflict waiting to happen.

I think it ultimately depends on what he (Larry) thinks of the FO. He did well in Indy and Detroit where there were strong FO guys (Walsh & Dumars) that he would defer to. He was a train wreck in NY where the FO guy (Isiah) was weak, meddling, and unworthy of respect.

Jordan will have to basically keep him in line. Don't know enough about Jordan the GM to say whether that's likely or not.

spreedom
04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I think Jordan and Brown have actually been pretty close over the years. I'd expect Jordan will seek input from Brown and vice versa.

CableKC
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I think it ultimately depends on what he (Larry) thinks of the FO. He did well in Indy and Detroit where there were strong FO guys (Walsh & Dumars) that he would defer to. He was a train wreck in NY where the FO guy (Isiah) was weak, meddling, and unworthy of respect.

Jordan will have to basically keep him in line. Don't know enough about Jordan the GM to say whether that's likely or not.
There's a fine line in a meddling FO guy like Zeke and having a strong FO guys like Walsh/Dumars that he had to defer to.

I'm not saying that Zeke is worthy of carrying Walsh or Dumar's jock....I'm just saying that it can easily go both ways when it comes to having Jordan as a Boss that Brown would respect when it comes to GMing a team.

I can see Brown respecting MJ as a player and even friend.....but IMHO....I have seen nothing that MJ has done that would garner any respect ( one way or another ) for MJ as a GM.

I'll just say that I think that there is a greater chance that MJ and Brown will butt heads then be "buddy buddy" when it comes to their working relationship and how the team should be run. Both are "my way or the highway" type of personalities when it comes to basketball.

LoneGranger33
04-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I can see Brown respecting MJ as a player and even friend.....but IMHO....I have seen nothing that MJ has done that would garner any respect ( one way or another ) for MJ as a GM.

Uhh, hello!? He drafted Adam Morrison!

...oh, yeah, no, no you're right....

Shade
04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Riley and Brown doing what they do best.

Young
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I think that if they really respect each other have trust they will be ok. Certainly you have to believe that MJ knows what he is getting in Brown. I think that MJ is smart enough to know what he is getting into and know what he has to do to make things work.

Speed
04-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Dude is a great coach, but I loved the stories where he would basically beg Donnie to have most of the Pacers traded pretty often. Then there was the Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller for Vernon Maxwell trade request, if I remember right.

Guys a hell of a coach though.

Naptown_Seth
04-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Does Felton get better or benched?
Better. Unless Brown has really jumped the shark this is a perfect hiring. CHA and Seattle are the 2 places I think he'd work out the best due to the college level youth in place.

Ammo returns, May returns, Wallace is a defensive attacker. He's got just the kind of pieces I'd think he'd want to work with. If he truly was critical to his previous turnarounds (and I'm not sold he was) then this team should be expected to hit the playoffs next year.

Or maybe Brown needs the Cats to win the lottery and bring in Rose in order to "salvage" the situation like he did in SA (got Robinson and Elliot for "magic" fix).

tdubb03
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
How do you guys see this effecting Emeka Okafor? He's a FA, so he needs re-signed first of course. He fell off a bit last year.

heywoode
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Riley and Brown doing what they do best.

Amen, brother.

I think it will be a train wreck. Brown is over the hill and doesn't have what it takes to reach the players anymore. At least the Bobcats are young, so he may be able to BS his way through for a couple of years.

After that, the act will wear thin, they will have little success, and Brown will either do his signature disappearing act or will be fired.