PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley Stepping Down As Coach

AesopRockOn
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
It looks like suffering through a 15-67 season is enough to move Pat Riley off the bench and back into the front office.

According to multiple media reports, the future Hall of Famer is expected to step down as the Miami Heat (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mia)'s head coach at a news conference set for 4 p.m. ET.

The reports -- from the South Florida Sun Sentinel, the Miami Herald and The Associated Press -- say Riley will stay on as team president.
The Sun Sentinel reported that current Heat assistant coach Erik Spoelstra would replace Riley.

Riley has been Miami's head coach since taking over just 21 games into the 2005-06 season for Stan Van Gundy. That season, Riley helped lead the Heat to an NBA championship. Just two years later, his team owned the league's worst record.

The .183 winning percentage this season matched the worst mark in franchise history originally set by the 1988-89 expansion team.
In working on his dual role as coach and team president, Riley missed four games this season to scout players who may be available to the Heat in this year's NBA draft. Miami has the best chance of obtaining the No. 1 pick in this year's draft, and by having the league's worst record is assured of getting a top-four selection.

During his career, Riley owns a 1,210-694 regular-season record and has five championship rings. He has amassed 171 playoff victories and a career .632 winning percentage. Riley has had only three sub-.500 seasons in his NBA coaching career.

Riley will join several other distinguished members of the 2008 class that will be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame later this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3372092 from ESPN.com

This is weird considering that they could have a Rose, Wade, Marion core coming back in the East. Then again he can always change his mind.

Kstat
04-28-2008, 02:50 PM
If they get a top-2 pick, he'll suddenly be back.

cgg
04-28-2008, 03:07 PM
If they get a top-2 pick, he'll suddenly be back.

Or they'll "continue searching" for a new coach while he stays on as interim coach.

Naptown_Seth
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Good lord has he jumped the shark. Remember when he was an elite coach that showed he could go uptempo or grind it out (Lakers to Knicks) and still win?

This isn't enough to remove his credibility over his full career, anymore than Brown has done to his own, but it sure ain't helping the legacy either.

maragin
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I'd think this time he'll wait until they're in the second round of the playoffs before he swoops in.

Hicks
04-28-2008, 04:58 PM
My opinion of him continues to drop.

idioteque
04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
When the going gets tough...Riley sure as hell gets going...as in going as far away from the bench as possible. He might as well have stayed, his reputation is already ruined in the eyes of many.

tdubb03
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey, at least Erik Spoelstra becomes the first Filipino head coach in NBA history.

BoomBaby31
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
My opinion of him continues to drop.

Mine too, you chase off a very good coach in Stan Van Gundy to steal a ring out from underneath him then flee so you don't have whether the aftermath. I used to like Riley too, but my opinion is consistently dropping over the last couple years.

Oneal07
04-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I feel bad for D-Wade, everyone ran away and left him to clean up the mess

Shade
04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
"Pat Riley" will forever be synonymous with "bandwagon jumper."

Kofi
04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
He'll be back in a few season, once Rose/Beasley/Lopez/Bayless has matured into a star and the Heat have signed so valuable FA's.