PDA

View Full Version : Official GTA IV Discussion Thread

ajbry
04-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Just remembered that it was coming out in a couple days (I'm not exactly a big gamer but GTA is the *****) so I pre-ordered it from EBGames.com with the overnight shipping and as long as it arrives by Friday I'll be satisfied.

How is everyone else getting it and when?

What will you do initially - roam around and explore the unrestricted areas of the city or start the storyline and immerse yourself in the missions?

Normally I don't dabble in much multiplayer but apparently there are unlimited possibilities - you can join up to 15 other players and do specific activities or just leave the entire city open and hunt each other down...

Hicks
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I pre-ordered it on Amazon.com a few months ago. I think I'll have it in the mail Thursday, maybe Wednesday.

Since with past GTA's I just ran around like a maniac and never got far into the stories, I want to try to go the other way this time and hit the story pretty quickly. It sounds like this is the best one to do that with, anyway.

I will also be hitting the new multiplayer on Live. I'm really looking forward to that.

Trader Joe
04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
I'll do the story first. Its more fun to wreak havoc once you own the entire city anyways.

bellisimo
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I'll be waiting till it hits the PC :(

duke dynamite
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
The question:

If you are getting it, will it be for Xbox 360 or Playstation 3? Special Edition?

I am just curious in seeing who has what...

(LET'S NOT HAVE THIS TURN INTO A "WHICH ONE IS BETTER" ARGUEMENT)

Hicks
04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
360 here

Trader Joe
04-27-2008, 07:55 PM

ajbry
04-27-2008, 07:59 PM

I forsee some PD multiplayer action, it would be fun hunting some of you guys down in Liberty City. Who might be up for it?

Hicks
04-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Definitely.

rexnom
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
360...I dont get lots of games (I have Halo, Madden, Rock Band) because I don't really have time/monet but this is kind of a must.

Trader Joe
04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
IGN.com gave it a 10/10. Its the first ten they have given since Soul Calibur in 1999. In their review, they said it was the best game since Ocarina of Time. That is just incredibly high praise. For anyone who isn't a big gamer, Ocarina is quite possibly the greatest video game of all time.

ajbry
04-27-2008, 08:50 PM
IGN.com gave it a 10/10. Its the first ten they have given since Soul Calibur in 1999. In their review, they said it was the best game since Ocarina of Time. That is just incredibly high praise. For anyone who isn't a big gamer, Ocarina is quite possibly the greatest video game of all time.

Yeah, I was talking about it yesterday with my best friend and he had played the Zelda one and said it was the best of all-time - he's a much bigger gamer than I am so I took his word for it.

GTA IV seems to be flawless.

First thing I'm doing is jacking one of the 300C looking whips.

Trader Joe
04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Ocarina was a religious experience. Anyone who has played the game remembers pulling out the master sword in the temple of time. (That sounds gay.)

Hicks
04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
GTA4 isn't flawless, but it's close. I hear there's some mild issues with the cover system, and the aiming system is still not as good as a straight-up shooter, but it's still supposed to be much better than any previous GTA, and apparently you still get used to it as you play more.

So I'd say the 9.8/10 reviews are being more honest, but that's still an incredible score.

Robertmto
04-27-2008, 09:31 PM
You can download it already...some ppl already have :devil:

ajbry
04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
That makes zero sense to me, even as an almost broke college student.

Rockstar North took 4 years to produce a nearly perfect game and did everything a fan of the GTA series could want. They deserve to collect a very sizable profit as far as I'm concerned. It's a hell of a lot better than a company like EA Sports putting out a ***** product every year like NBA Live as of late and showing the consumers no respect.

Robertmto
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
That makes zero sense to me, even as an almost broke college student.

Rockstar North took 4 years to produce a nearly perfect game and did everything a fan of the GTA series could want. They deserve to collect a very sizable profit as far as I'm concerned. It's a hell of a lot better than a company like EA Sports putting out a ***** product every year like NBA Live as of late and showing the consumers no respect.

I didn't dl it, i don't have all the right software to get it backed up for my 360.

I was just letting those ppl know who mite want it, that it is available, however i WILL NOT say where

Stryder
04-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Ocarina was a religious experience. Anyone who has played the game remembers pulling out the master sword in the temple of time. (That sounds gay.)

I quote this because I feel the same way...

Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time...I refuse to sell/trade/get rid of my copy of it.

Eindar
04-27-2008, 11:57 PM

I forsee some PD multiplayer action, it would be fun hunting some of you guys down in Liberty City. Who might be up for it?

360, and I'm in. I'll be Jamaal, and you can be Jack!

tora tora
04-28-2008, 12:23 AM
I'll be getting it for the PS3, since I won't be getting my 360 back from repair in nearly a month. I can't wait that long.

duke dynamite
04-28-2008, 12:48 AM

360, hands down. I have both consoles, but I really like Xbox Live.

360...I dont get lots of games (I have Halo, Madden, Rock Band) because I don't really have time/monet but this is kind of a must.

I rarely buy games. My friend's brother-in-law works at our local EB and we're having a birthday party for him during the GTA launch party there. I am tempted to buy it, but I don't have too much money. Then again I don't have much to trade in, either.

rexnom
04-28-2008, 01:36 AM
I'd be totally down but I can't really afford XBox live/i dont see myself using it if I got it.

Haggard
04-28-2008, 01:41 AM
PS3 special edition.. I preordered it a while ago and went down to the shop just then at lunch to see if the guy would sell it to me early..

travmil
04-28-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm renting it from Gamefly for 360, but once I have the achievements I'll return it and buy it for PS3.

ajbry
04-28-2008, 07:12 AM

If by being Jack you mean hitting up a strip club and making it rain for a little while and then pursuing some known delinquents and emptying my array of automatic weapons into the darkness...

Looking forward to it!

Who's going to use cheats? First time around I'm tempted to go for the achievements like I did for Saint's Row, but GTA with cheats is almost tradition.

Trader Joe
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM

We ride together!

Natston
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I'd be totally down but I can't really afford XBox live/i dont see myself using it if I got it.

Oh you can get 1 month cards for 8 bucks...

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-Month-Gold-Card/dp/B000B9RHZQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1209406678&sr=8-5

Natston
04-28-2008, 02:21 PM
360, and I'm in. I'll be Jamaal

Lord Helmet and I will chase after you guys and meet at the hotel...

Hicks
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I'll play the GTA skin that's missing fingers!

As for cheats, eventually hell yes I will, but I'm going to wait until I've had my fill of the story mode first to get the most out of working towards bigger/better guns.

Shade
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Does this actually release tomorrow, or just ship tomorrow?

I may hit Wal-Mart and pick up a copy for the PS3.

duke dynamite
04-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Does this actually release tomorrow, or just ship tomorrow?

I may hit Wal-Mart and pick up a copy for the PS3.
Tonight at midnight you can go get it at Wal-Mart or EB/Gamestop.

Shade
04-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Tonight at midnight you can go get it at Wal-Mart or EB/Gamestop.

Cool.

I need to go pick up Mario Kart Wii as well. Thank God this semester is almost over. :dead:

duke dynamite
04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I need to go get Mario Kart for the Wii, too. I just don't have the scrill for any games right now, that and the fact that I got MLB 2K8 for 360 when it came out and only have touched it once...

Lord Helmet
04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm feeling it.

I'll be seeing you guys online. Add me if you have not.

I hope to get it at Wal-mart at midnight, tonight.

duke dynamite
04-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I won't buy it until the first price-drop, or if I magically find something to trade in twards it.

But add me to XBL if you all want to.

travmil
04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I won't buy it until the first price-drop, or if I magically find something to trade in twards it.

But add me to XBL if you all want to.

i added you duke, my Xbox ID is a cleverly travmil. Any yahoo can add me too. I don't currently have Xbox live gold but I have saved up like 10 48 hour trials waiting on GTA. I checked with Gamefly it shipped out today. Might make it here by tomorrow and definitely Wednesday. I have to work all weekend though grumble grumble...

duke dynamite
04-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah, cool. I'll accept you.

I guess I'll get GTA tonght...geeze.

Haggard
04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I just picked my special edition for PS3 up.. now i gotta spend the whole day at work before I can play it tonight.... oh well..

Hicks
04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Mine shipped from Amazon today, I expect to see it Wednesday on my doorstep.

duke dynamite
04-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Well, I lucked out. My brother went ahead and bought it tonight. He said he isn't playing any video games until classes are over so I get it for two weeks. By then I will get paid and have my own copy.

w00t

tora tora
04-29-2008, 04:06 AM
I'll be getting it for the PS3, since I won't be getting my 360 back from repair in nearly a month. I can't wait that long.

Well looks like I'll be waiting after all. The game reportedly freezes quite a bit on 60 gig PS3's from the launch date, which I have.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=370613&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

http://kotaku.com/385183/rockstar-support-no-gta-freeze-fix-in-sight

It's ironic because when Rockstar released Bully for the 360 there were freezing issues too. Don't they play test these games before they release them? Idiots.

duke dynamite
04-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Yeah, there have been a few games that would brick the launch PS3's.
They mentioned that Call of Duty 4 killed a lot of Playstation 3's. I think I read about that happening, but I don't remember the specific games. I'll try and find something.

I've got a 40 gig PS3 and I just use it as a Blu-Ray player mostly, but I'd rather get it for the 360 for the achievements and an expanded DLC cataloge.

tora tora
04-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Now 360 owners are reporting disc read errors and freezing issues... unbelievable.

Eindar
04-29-2008, 06:47 AM
My Gamertag is Camping Jerk, for those who want to add me. I should mention that I'm currently embroiled in a bitter, bitter feud with AT&T, so I won't be online till they fix my modem for free. I'd start a "Rot in Hell" thread on it, but I'm waaaay too lazy for that :)

ajbry
04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
My copy has shipped, hopefully I'll get it either tomorrow or Thursday.

I should probably do some heavy schoolwork today though...

Shade
04-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Hmm...I was gonna pick it up on my way home tonight, but now I'm thinking maybe I should wait if there are a bunch of buggy copies out there (I have a launch PS3). I wouldn't be able to play it for a few days anyway.

Trader Joe
04-29-2008, 01:10 PM
This is why I finally replaced my launch 360 with an Elite.

travmil
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
This is why I finally replaced my launch 360 with an Elite.

The Gamefaqs forums are full of stories of Elites even choking on this game, and that's something I have not heard before at all.

Trader Joe
04-29-2008, 01:14 PM
If elites are choking on this game then the blame is 100% on Rockstar. My elite has never had a single issue with any game.

ajbry
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I have the newer model 360, seeing as it's only 5 months old. Hopefully I won't have any problems.

It could just be the discs though, right? I would assume R* would replace any faulty or scratched discs to consumers who got a bad one. It would be a PR nightmare for R* if the game is messing up consoles...

Trader Joe
04-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I mean if its messing up elites then there is something wrong with the game itself.

bellisimo
04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
*insert PC>consoles comment here*

i kid...i kid...i kid... ;)

Shade
04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
*insert PC>consoles comment here*

i kid...i kid...i kid... ;)

PC gaming still feels...unnatural to me.

I'm a console gamer through and through, boy. :cool:

Shade
04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Btw, my friend just got GTAIV for his 360. He said it took a couple of tries for him to get past the "read error" screen, but the game plays fine once he does.

Sounds like this is a wide-spread problem. I wonder who long it will take for second shipments to arrive...?

duke dynamite
04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Its a sad time for PC gaming. Online support outside MMORPGs isn't all that good.

Games for Windows Live is really helping that out with extending the Xbox Live service over to PCs.

ajbry
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
My game arrived about an hour ago and I've had no problems.

Driving is pretty clunky, will take some time to get used to.

tora tora
04-30-2008, 03:21 AM
I got it for the PS3, 3 hours in the game no freezing whatsoever.

travmil
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Well, here's what I've noticed on the Gamefaqs forums. The folks who are coming in and complaining either have a history of doing so at EVERY major game release, or they registered just to complain about it. This leads me to believe that the problem isn't really a problem at all, it's just a bunch of jackasses that hate either the PS3 or the 360 and trying to cause trouble.

Brian
04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
The game has frozen up on me on my 80gig ps3. I had to replay 4 missions to get it to let me take michelle on a date.

Natston
04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I've been fairly unimpressed by the multi-player so far...

Hicks
04-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I've been fairly unimpressed by the multi-player so far...

Eh, you're just not doing it right. (TWSS)

Is voice chat enabled during online play? I'd assume so, but I've yet to have it confirmed. If so, then what you, Bisker, and I need to do is just use that as our playground when we chat.

My copy arrived in the mail today, and when I get home tonight I'll start playing the campaign.

Lord Helmet
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Eh, you're just not doing it right. (TWSS)

Is voice chat enabled during online play? I'd assume so, but I've yet to have it confirmed. If so, then what you, Bisker, and I need to do is just use that as our playground when we chat.

My copy arrived in the mail today, and when I get home tonight I'll start playing the campaign.
Voice chat is enabled, I think for just about anything multi player and you have an option to turn it off if you'd like.

Mal, hit me up on it tonight.

travmil
05-01-2008, 01:49 AM
OK I've been playing it now for a few hours and all I can say is, I REALLY hope it gets better.

Natston
05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
OK I've been playing it now for a few hours and all I can say is, I REALLY hope it gets better.

Yeah it's a good game, but in terms of improved game play and the like, I'd compare it to Vice City. You had the greatest jumps going to GTA3 from 2 and San Andreas from Vice City. Vice City itself had minor tweaks and slight improvements over 3 but didn't have significant additions like San Andreas did with the increased map size, turf wars, airplanes (which I guess are gone now?), tractors, combines. etc.

With all that being said I've gotten 4 and 6 hours of sleep respectively the last couple of nights.

:thatswhatsshesaid:

Hicks
05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I admit last night I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. I still need to get used to it, but I was surprised at how many things bothered me. Doesn't mean the game sucks or anything, but I'm not wow-ed as of this moment.

Still, just being able to dick around in Liberty City with Lord Helmet and his friends was bizarre and cool (occasionally hilarious). If nothing else I've purchased the ultimate voice chat room for talking with friends.

But tonight I want to give the cops/robbers game a try.

Trader Joe
05-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I like Vice City more than three or San Andreas. I thought San Andreas was the worst game of the three it was verry reptitive. Also I need to change my status. Finals are voer and I am now currently intocixated.

ajbry
05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
San Andreas had a great storyline, but I also love the gang element because it builds loyalty. Every once in a while I'd take a plane back to the hood just to kick it with the Grove Street homies.

The environment of Vice City was something anyone could enjoy and the game itself was awesome. Tons of eccentric, interesting characters.

IV still seems overwhelming and it's definitely not as casual. I'm still trying to avoid any unnecessary attention from the cops.

travmil
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM
San Andreas had a great storyline, but I also love the gang element because it builds loyalty. Every once in a while I'd take a plane back to the hood just to kick it with the Grove Street homies.

The environment of Vice City was something anyone could enjoy and the game itself was awesome. Tons of eccentric, interesting characters.

IV still seems overwhelming and it's definitely not as casual. I'm still trying to avoid any unnecessary attention from the cops.

One other thing I don't like is the increase in traffic. Is it more realistic? Yes. Is it as fun when you can't tear *** across the city on a motorcycle without crashing 47,000 times? No.

ajbry
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Agreed, and it seems as if there is a cop car everywhere at all times, which really makes you paranoid about crashing into someone.

Isaac
05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Wow. I can't believe I'm seeing people complain. The realism factor in every aspect of this game is incredible. I had ridiculously high expectations and it has soared passed them. This game is by far the best game I've ever played.

Lord Helmet
05-02-2008, 06:01 PM
One other thing I don't like is the increase in traffic. Is it more realistic? Yes. Is it as fun when you can't tear *** across the city on a motorcycle without crashing 47,000 times? No.
Well that is why they give you options.

If you do free mode or party mode or anything multiplayer you can make traffic high to low to none and the same goes for pedestrians. I don't know if you can do that for the story mode, though.....

But if you want to just screw around and drive around and stuff you can change things at least.

Trader Joe
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I love it so far. Picked it up this afternoon. The driving is easiest in the first person type view IMO. I can tear around like a bat out of hell in that view.

Hicks
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm giving the single player some time tonight. Thanks to it, I've now discovered why I initially thought the combat had devolved, but in actuality they've improved combat by expanding it during a "lock on" confrontation (two punch buttons, dodging, counters, and a kick button).

Eindar
05-03-2008, 12:43 AM
I think this is the best installment so far. I didn't care for the RPG elements of San Andreas. At All. Or, at least, I don't think they were well implemented. I like the way it's handed in GTA IV much better. I also like the realism of traffic, and it might just be me, but I'm getting in less trouble with the cops than I was in San Andreas.

One caveat: this is my first console GTA game, and while FPS and MMO games are best played on the PC, I gotta admit that the analog stick has made my ability to drive vehicles much, much better. I think that GTA is best played on consoles, unless you've got an analog controller for your PC.

Trader Joe
05-03-2008, 12:51 AM
The Turismo is a badass car. Quite possibly the best sports car in any of the GTA games. Also, the story line so far is 1,000 times better than San Andreas. There was TOO much going on in San Andreas and at times I felt overwhelmed, and also I was bored with the dumb weightlifting and stuff like that after the first few days. This one is much more story driven and with your cell phone it feels like you have more control over whats happening.

ajbry
05-03-2008, 11:14 AM
The Turismo is a badass car. Quite possibly the best sports car in any of the GTA games. Also, the story line so far is 1,000 times better than San Andreas. There was TOO much going on in San Andreas and at times I felt overwhelmed, and also I was bored with the dumb weightlifting and stuff like that after the first few days. This one is much more story driven and with your cell phone it feels like you have more control over whats happening.

I had a Turismo but never really drove it, as it was just parking space eye-candy to show how much of boss Niko was. I definitely agree with you about the cell phone, it makes everything a lot easier.

And I find myself taking a taxi pretty much everywhere now. It's so quick and cheap.

Hicks
05-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes the cell phone is a great addition.

Anthem
05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Conan's not a fan.

0kgo0VXGixk

Hicks
05-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't say he's not a fan because of that skit.

Anthem
05-04-2008, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't say he's not a fan because of that skit.
Joke.

duke dynamite
05-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Hilarious. I love it when he references video games.

Eindar
05-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Tell a stripper to do three lap dances in a row for a hell of a show. ;)

I'm trying this out when I wake up tomorrow, and also, the Tourismo is indeed the best car I've ever driven in GTA.

N8R
05-04-2008, 04:39 AM
I just got to play it today for the first time. It is awesome

Trader Joe
05-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Online is a little disappointing. I've only played deathmatch, but the maps seemed too big for 16 individual players. I played one game of cops and crooks, and the cops didn't know what the hell they were doing so that was boring as well.

It doesn't matter to me though because the game itself is so good I care less. The story line is just awesome.

Hicks
05-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I dunno,

I didn't find cops/crooks confusing because I read about it first. When you're the cops you see on your radar where the crook boss is, and you should be hunting him down. The crooks have on their radar the escape-zone, which is where their boss needs to get in one piece.

I've found death match in ANY game 90% boring for about 10 years....

I've mostly played FFA with Helmet, natston, and Helmet's buddies, and when you're playing with people you're used to talking with, it's more fun because one second you can be at each others throats, and the next you can form two sides to get at each other, or you can all pile in a car and try to escape from the police.

I haven't had a chance to try anything else yet.

I wouldn't say the multiplayer is amazing, but it's pretty cool.

Lord Helmet
05-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Online is a little disappointing. I've only played deathmatch, but the maps seemed too big for 16 individual players. I played one game of cops and crooks, and the cops didn't know what the hell they were doing so that was boring as well.

It doesn't matter to me though because the game itself is so good I care less. The story line is just awesome.
The entire map is probably too big, but can't you switch the play zone to just a certain area? Or is that just where you're going to spawn?

Trader Joe
05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
You can set the play maps to certain areas, but they are still too big.

duke dynamite
05-05-2008, 04:51 AM
I've got the 360 version...

I find the gameplay a little slow. Button pressing is hard, but it is very feature-intensive, which is neat.

Maybe I'm just used to the GTA titles on PS2.

ajbry
05-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Another thing I miss (aside from car customization and buying property) is being able to have other dudes with you helping you kill the enemy. It's just you most times and you can't recruit any homies like in SA.

duke dynamite
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
That was great. I miss my homies.

Anyway, you can't buy property in this one?

I hate that hole of an apartment that Roman lives in.

Trader Joe
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes not being able to buy more property is a big let down so far. I'm not sure what I'm earning my money for....

duke dynamite
05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I guess just guns and food.

Getting drunk is pretty fun in the game. The ability to drive drunk is quite entertaining.

Trader Joe
05-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah, the drunkeness in the game is pretty hilarious and well fairly accurate.

Still though when I was playing Vice City and even SA earning money to buy everything was part of the fun. It made you feel like you actually owned the city. Not sure why they got rid of that.

duke dynamite
05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Because of all the kids who illegally obtain the game by crying to their grandparents because they "have to have it". All they do is just steal cars, shoot people, cheat, and get killed by cops.

Games cater to people with low attention spans more lately.

ajbry
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I've been on the second island for like 3 days now and there's so much to do. It's awesome. Your cell starts blowing up and before you know it you can do missions for like 4 different people and hang out with several others.

Eindar
05-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, the drunkeness in the game is pretty hilarious and well fairly accurate.

Still though when I was playing Vice City and even SA earning money to buy everything was part of the fun. It made you feel like you actually owned the city. Not sure why they got rid of that.

This is obviously just a blind guess, but I think it might have something to do with the limitations of the DVD format. It makes no sense to just get rid of something that makes the game more immersive. My guess is that the added textures and all the buildings you can enter for missions made it too much to add in all the houses and such.

duke dynamite
05-06-2008, 12:37 AM
This is obviously just a blind guess, but I think it might have something to do with the limitations of the DVD format. It makes no sense to just get rid of something that makes the game more immersive. My guess is that the added textures and all the buildings you can enter for missions made it too much to add in all the houses and such.
They can cram a lot more than what they did onto a dual-layer format DVD.

Like I said, they probably watered it down due to the fact that they didn't want to make the game longer than it needed it to be.

Trader Joe
05-06-2008, 01:00 AM
You can walk into a bunch of homes anyway. Why not allow us to get Faustin's house as a safe house or something like that? I'm tired of only being able to park one car in front of my P.O.S. apartment safe house. I'm not sure why they did it. Even though games may cater to people with shorter attention spans (which I don't necessarily agree with BTW especially with all the amazing titles over the past year Mass Effect, Bioshock, COD4, Smash Bros., etc.) I don't see why they need to remove the parts that make it immersive for those who want it. You could still steal cars, and shoot people all you wanted in Vice City or SA, but you could also buy yourself awesome houses and safehouses. Who didn't think getting the mansion in Vice City was awesome? If you didn't think that was cool then you are un-American. The story line is amazing, the graphics blow SA out of the water, and if they had just allowed me to even have one or two cool safehouses with 4-5 car garages I would be a happy man. To me, its keeping GTA IV from being one of the greatest games I've played. Its a very, very good game, but it feels like it is being held back.

Yes, the second island is really cool. The Grotti Turismo dealership is cool and driving through Liberty City's time square is amazing especially at night.

Eindar
05-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Regardless, this isn't any different than what a lot of developers are going when creating next-gen sequels. It seems like they'd rather do it simply and emphasize the new physics and such than overdo it and make it too complicated possibly for first-time players who are buying their first system.

This is most noticeable in the new Ratchet & Clank game, which is also amazing.

tora tora
05-07-2008, 05:10 AM
Another thing I miss (aside from car customization and buying property) is being able to have other dudes with you helping you kill the enemy. It's just you most times and you can't recruit any homies like in SA.

I heard you can later in the game, just don't kill Dwayne.

ajbry
05-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I disposed of Playboy and I'm glad I did. Dwayne is a little needy but at least he gives you something, I guess if you let Playboy live he doesn't like you regardless.

How does everyone feel about the soundtrack? It's obviously not VC or SA but it's pretty respectable. I just downloaded a few of the songs from The Beat 102.7 from Amazon (Uncle Murda, Johnny Polygon, and Nas).

duke dynamite
05-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I disposed of Playboy and I'm glad I did. Dwayne is a little needy but at least he gives you something, I guess if you let Playboy live he doesn't like you regardless.

How does everyone feel about the soundtrack? It's obviously not VC or SA but it's pretty respectable. I just downloaded a few of the songs from The Beat 102.7 from Amazon (Uncle Murda, Johnny Polygon, and Nas).
Goodbye Horses made me laugh.

Natston
05-09-2008, 04:13 AM
So... I decided to kill Francis instead of his brother did anyone else go the other way?

SpADeD
05-09-2008, 09:49 PM
So... I decided to kill Francis instead of his brother did anyone else go the other way?

What happens if you make that decision anyway?

Young
05-09-2008, 11:33 PM
I have not had a gaming system for a few years. I'm actually glad my PS2 broke because I have saved a lot of money. Had that never broke i'm sure I would have went out and bought a PS3.

So I have been done with video games for probably 4 years or so. However I must admit when this game does come out on PC it will be tempting for me to buy it. No doubt.

travmil
05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
I tell ya what's funny. If you watch the TV in Roman's apartment, one of the channels has a Katt Williams stand up act on it.

artificiallydrunk
05-14-2008, 02:33 AM
I tell ya what's funny. If you watch the TV in Roman's apartment, one of the channels has a Katt Williams stand up act on it.

Oh there's a comedy club where you can see Williams live...