PDA

View Full Version : FIBA will try to be more like the NBA....

Kstat
04-27-2008, 03:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3368944

FIBA to move back 3-point line, change key's shape in 2010

Associated Press

Updated: April 26, 2008, 1:37 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

BEIJING -- International basketball is going to look more like the NBA after two major rule changes take effect.

The 3-point line will move back and the three-second area will change shape starting in 2010, the sport's world governing body announced Saturday.

After Oct. 1, 2010, FIBA will begin using the new rules for major events such as the Olympics and world and continental championships.

The 3-point line will move from 20 feet, 6.1 inches to 22 feet, 1.7 inches. The NBA line is 23-9.

FIBA general secretary Patrick Baumann said it was likely FIBA would move toward the NBA distance in the next 10 years.

FIBA also will reconfigure the three-second area to match the NBA shape, going from a trapezoid to a rectangle.

kept
04-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Not that anyone watches international basketball, but I've always thought their games had more a of circus atmosphere because of that trapazoid shaped box. I didn't notice the three point line was closer. That could be why international players get overrated on the build up to the draft.

Kegboy
04-27-2008, 09:03 AM
They're changing the lane? Wow, never thought I'd see that happen.

Hicks
04-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I wish they'd go ahead and extend the 3 line to the NBA distance(s).

I'm surprised about the lane, too; in fact I thought the NBA might consider using THEIR lane at some point.

Trader Joe
04-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Why don't they get rid of the you can touch the ball on the rim rule?

ChicagoPacer
04-27-2008, 06:15 PM
I kind of figured we'd eventually go with the trapezoid lane over here too, but the more I thought about it, the more the NBA-style lane makes sense. The trapezoid lane makes it a little too easy to get the offensive rebound off a missed free throw. Maybe they thought free throws were enough of a reward. About a decade ago, FIBA still had the three free throws to make two rule.

Eventually, I think FIBA will move the three point line back further. The rules body said they moved it from 6.25 meter to 6.75 meters because they thought the full jump to 7.25 was too much to apply to all levels. They want to apply the rule consistently in youth, men's, and women's games so I guess it makes sense.

I always thought the NBA 3 pt line was a little silly, being 15 inches shorter on the baseline than it is behind the free throw line extended. 22-6 in the corners and 23-0 everywhere else makes a little more sense.

Fool
04-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Any word as to why they did this?