PDA

View Full Version : Stackhouse: "I was about to kick [Byron Scott's] @$$"

Shade
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
http://startelegram.typepad.com/mavs_fullcourt_press/2008/04/stackhouse-no-f.html

Jerry Stackhouse has never been one to hold back an opinion and that was the case Wednesday night on the 105.3 FM radio program, "Above the Rim" a semi-regular weekly show with Stackhouse and local sports personality Brady Tinker. When asked his thoughts of the New Orleans Hornets, Stackhouse chose to make it personal with coach Byron Scott.

Stack's take:

"I think it's just about having personalities that mesh and I think Chris (Paul) is such a great guy, I think he's been able to kind of deal with Byron Scott. I don't think Byron Scott is the best coach or I don't think he's the best guy to deal with -- you know what I'm sayin? -- from some things that I've heard from other players and just some dealings that I had with him earlier in the season. I was about ready to kick his *** -- you know what I'm sayin? He was sitting on the sideline and we just got into a little conversation or something and he was going to tell me, you know, 'Talk to me when you get a ring.' I was like, I told that fool, 'If I played with Magic and Worthy and Kareem I'd have a ring, too. So, you know, he's a sucker in my book, but that's a whole other story."

Well, nothing like firing up a team that's already got you down 0-2, that is if you believe a little trash talk can inspire even more a young team with nothing to lose. For the record, Stackhouse in the first two games has made 6-of-19 shots.:laugh:

Kaufman
04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
wow sounds like stack has some hostile feelings towards the Lord Byron

Ownagedood
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Hmm.. Ya, I would probably side with Stack on that one with the ring..

AesopRockOn
04-26-2008, 08:05 PM
They're all just jealous of Soulja Boy.

Kegboy
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
You'd think people would realize that Byron's not that bad of a coach after seeing the train-wreck the Nets turned into after he was gone. At the very least Kidd should, unless he blames himself for not being half the player he was back then.

Shade
04-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I would very happily take Scott over O'Brien.

Eindar
04-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Maybe, but I'd take Avery Johnson over either of them.

I'd say let's see them throw down. They're about the same age, right? :D

grace
04-26-2008, 11:21 PM

He's the coach I wanted before the Pacers hired Larry Bird.

idioteque
04-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Screw Stackhouse. Sure, Byron was really mostly a complementary player when the Lakers had their heyday, but at least he knew his role and he didn't just chuck up silly shots like Stackhouse does. Stackhouse is a just a black hole type player who has never been a superstar but tries to play like one.

Kstat
04-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Stack is a thug, but he does it in a way so funny it's almost admirable.

From an Akron beacon-Journal beat writer...

http://thebiglead.com/?p=4187

I wasn’t there, but the story is legend. During a game in Dallas two years ago, Jerry Stackhouse got pissed at Kirk Snyder, who was playing for the Utah Jazz. Stackhouse told Snyder during the game he was going to kick his ***. Then, just as the game ended Stack warned that he’d be waiting for Snyder at the bus. So Stack goes into the locker room, takes off his uniform and asks the equipment manager to get him some workout clothes. He puts those on, walks out to the Jazz bus and when Snyder shows up he indeed whips him as promised. Snyder gets taken to the bus, bleeding, by security guards. Stack goes back to the locker room and puts on his suit. He didn’t want to get blood on it. Classic! Sort of like the scene in Goodfellas when Pesci and DeNiro beat the guy to death and then Pesci says he sorry for getting blood on Henry Hill’s floor.

Chris McCosky, Detroit News...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071225/SPORTS0102/712250371

21. April 27, 2000: Down 2-0 in their first-round series against the Heat, Pistons forward Jerome Williams made critical remarks about teammates, challenging their work ethic and commitment. When told of the comments, Jerry Stackhouse broke off his interview, stormed into the locker room and pummeled Williams. Teammates, annoyed with Williams, let Stackhouse pound away for several minutes before Terry Mills broke it up.

Naptown_Seth
04-27-2008, 01:25 PM
And yet the Pacers are thugs.

How about this title:
"Former Pacer Scott involved in potential brawl with Mavs player"

Since you guys are jocking Scott (hey, I'm not against that myself) let me also jock Rick by reminding everyone that with Stack as his #1 option he put the Pistons into the division title and the 2nd round of the playoffs, which included an eighteen wins improvement.

Of course they did get rid of Williams and brought in Uncle Cliffy, and I'll assume that Stack couldn't kick Cliff's butt or didn't want to which probably improved the locker room situation.

Kstat
04-27-2008, 01:32 PM
To be fair to Stack, he's always been a really nice guy off the court, and he doesn't have any off-court problems I know of.

It's just that when it comes to other NBA players, he doesn't pull any punches...literally. He's old school. You cross him, and he will beat you senseless.

He's the only guy I've ever seen that Ron Artest wanted no part of.

When crazy people are scared of you, you're one tough dude.

Hicks
04-27-2008, 02:01 PM

Ron Artest wants no part of anyone that isn't significantly at a disadvantage.

Lord Helmet
04-27-2008, 02:32 PM
To be fair to Stack, he's always been a really nice guy off the court, and he doesn't have any off-court problems I know of.

It's just that when it comes to other NBA players, he doesn't pull any punches...literally. He's old school. You cross him, and he will beat you senseless.

When crazy people are scared of you, you're one tough dude.
I thought while Stack was with the Wizards during an off-season he got into it with a local Washington realtor.....

Anthem
04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Ron Artest wants no part of anyone that isn't significantly at a disadvantage.
I'm not saying he's well in the head, but I'm not sure that's fair to Ron.

Stryder
04-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Stack is a thug, but he does it in a way so funny it's almost admirable.

From an Akron beacon-Journal beat writer...

http://thebiglead.com/?p=4187

Chris McCosky, Detroit News...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071225/SPORTS0102/712250371

If those are actually true, they are CLASSIC. I especially love the first one.

Unclebuck
04-28-2008, 09:05 AM
I've heard, and read that yes Bryon is a jerk to deal with at times. Not the easiest coach to play for. That doesn't make him a bad coach

andreialta
04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Heck Most Players hated their coach when they are playing for them. they sometimes think they are better and tend to find everything the coach does goes against them or ****s the team up.

i hated my high school coach. but realized what he was teaching was good after 4 years outta high school. lol

Stack is crazy. rage problems maybe?

spreedom
04-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Stack is the man! I'd love to see him in a Pacers uni because he isn't going to take junk from anyone... he takes losses like a man, and clearly isn't against beating the hell out of anyone.

SycamoreKen
04-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Stack is the man! I'd love to see him in a Pacers uni because he isn't going to take junk from anyone... he takes losses like a man, and clearly isn't against beating the hell out of anyone.

Those are the very reasons I'll take a pass. None of that has anything to do with winning.

spreedom
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
See, I don't think Stack has ever (at least recently) been an off-court distraction, and THAT is what this team needs to avoid. I see Stack as a guy with the perfect attitude -- he leaves it all on the court and hits huge shots, and off the court does a lot of great community/charity work and stays out of trouble. When was the last time you remember Stackhouse being in the headlines for a negative reason other than shooting his mouth off in a half-serious way (like I suspect this Byron Scott issue is)?

I treat those stories that were posted above more like urban legend... it's really fun to (pretend to) believe that they're true, but they're almost too ridiculous to take seriously. Even if those stories are both true, have either of them ever lead to suspensions, locker room turmoil, or on-court chemistry issues? I feel like having a tough-minded vet that is willing to lay the lumber on a guy in the parking lot is a nice piece of mind to have.