PDA

View Full Version : Wade to Olympic team

kerosene
06-09-2004, 01:41 AM
By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted June 8 2004

LOS ANGELES -- Dwyane Wade is still waiting to exhale.

For now, the Heat guard continues to breathe in an intoxicating start to his NBA career.

Less than three weeks after completing an unlikely ride to the Eastern Conference semifinals, Wade on Monday confirmed that he has been selected for the team of NBA players that will represent the United States at summer's Athens Olympics.

"It's been a whirlwind for me," he said of a remarkable year that began last June with his low-profile selection in the draft behind more-heralded newcomers LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony.

Now Wade is going to Greece, as a teammate to James, selected ahead of Anthony.

"To represent your country as an Olympian, especially being so young, is exciting," said the 22-year-old, taken with the fifth pick last June.

The selection of Wade was part of the latest scramble by USA Basketball to rebuild a program that has lost much of its luster from its initial Dream Team roots. Wade's spot became available with Sacramento guard Mike Bibby becoming the latest to step aside.

Among those who have bypassed invitations have been Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter and Karl Malone.

While some have expressed concerns about security, others cite the toll already exacted by the six-month NBA season and ensuing playoffs.

Wade, who still must fill out the required paperwork to make his selection official, said he was not fearful of security but also said he was not fully aware of the grueling schedule that requires players to report to pre-Olympic camp July 26 in Jacksonville and remain with the team on a five-country tour that does not end until Aug. 28 in Athens. NBA camps open a month later.

The last time the Heat was represented in the Olympics, center Alonzo Mourning returned from the 2000 Sidney Games with a kidney illness that eventually ended his career with the team, and point guard Tim Hardaway was sidelined by the end of that season with a foot injury.

"I love playing basketball," Wade said. "To have the opportunity is a great honor. I hope once I talk to the Heat that they're not concerned."

Wade joins an Olympic roster team that has firm commitments from Spurs center Tim Duncan, 76ers guard Allen Iverson, Nets forward Richard Jefferson, Knicks guard Stephon Marbury, Pistons center Ben Wallace, Suns forwards Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire and the Cavaliers' James. Cavaliers power forward Carlos Boozer also has been invited, with an invitation possibly forthcoming for Anthony. Heat forward Lamar Odom also is receiving consideration.

Larry Brown, the Olympic coach who is at the NBA Finals guiding the Detroit Pistons, said he welcomes the youthful outlook provided by Wade.

"The more young kids with enthusiasm that are going to be our future, in my mind, the better off we can be," he said.

"Guys like Wade and Carmelo and LeBron and Stoudemire, you name them, all of these young kids coming into the league, and some of the second- and third-year guys, if they want to play, that's great."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-wade08jun08,0,3278294.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat

sweabs
06-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Now Wade is going to Greece, as a teammate to James, selected ahead of Anthony.

:dance: Excellent!

Hicks
06-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Wait, so LeBron and Wade are officially going? Interesting.

Suaveness
06-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Well...this is turning into a very inexperienced team. It will be interesting to see if we can actually win.

clownskull
06-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Well...this is turning into a very inexperienced team. It will be interesting to see if we can actually win.

yep my thoughts/concerns exactly.
i know larry brown is ten times the coach that george karl was and he is trying to be optimistic about it but, i am worried.
this is almost like if we were throwing a group of college all-stars together.
i'm just glad barron davis isn't going to be on this team.
after the butt-kicking we got at the world championships a couple summers back, he made several remarks about karl and all that.
and i do think karl stinks but davis did not mention the 30% foul shouting he had in that tourney. and i think he was more angry about the fact that he didn't start.
i hope brown can find a way to make this work. he certainly has his work cut out.

MSA2CF
06-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Wade is on the team? Big whoop. :unimpressed:

Hicks
06-09-2004, 06:52 PM

Come on, man. You saw the semifinals; the man is terrific in the clutch.

MSA2CF
06-09-2004, 06:56 PM

Come on, man. You saw the semifinals; the man is terrific in the clutch.

Yeah, I know; I respect the man and his game, but I would rather have a guy with more experience, or simply a guy who is better than him on the team. Honestly, my comment was just displaying my lackadaisical attitude toward who is on and who is not on the team. Frankly, I don't really care until it starts.