PDA

View Full Version : Bruno’s Blog> In search of greatness

Will Galen
04-21-2008, 10:52 PM
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=580002078

In search of greatness, or at least very goodness (http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=580002078)
By Conrad Brunner

Apr 21, 2008
Dozens of highly skilled, experienced professionals have spent the better part of the past year traveling around the globe to scout talent, assembling detailed reports on every facet of the skill sets of hundreds of prospects big, small and in-between, so that the Pacers will be fully prepared for the NBA Draft.

Which is nice, but I watched quite a bit of the NCAA Tournament (not to dislocate a shoulder patting myself on the back, but I did have Davidson reaching the Sweet 16 in my bracket) and have spent several minutes on draft Websites and I've already got the thing pretty much figured out.

Though the draft is a couple of months away, it's a very big deal indeed for the Pacers. Assuming they don't pull one of the top three picks from the lottery on May 20 (they have a 3 percent chance of one of the top three picks, less than 1 percent at No. 1 overall), they'll almost certainly be picking No. 11 in the first round and No. 41 in the second round.

Which brings up what might be the biggest question of this offseason: is there any greatness available at No. 11 -- or anywhere else, for that matter?

Though there are clearly identifiable needs, both from a positional and a skill-set standpoint, what the Pacers need more than anything else is a player with greatness. They have plenty of good young players to build around, most notably Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy. Granger is on the verge of stardom, but he's a few steps away from greatness.

By greatness, I mean the ability to take over a game at either end, the skill to either get or create a shot under pressure, the professionalism to set an example for the rest of the team, the thoroughness of basketball savvy to be able to make his teammates better. The great player is the sun around which all others revolve.

You know, the guys whose names always come up in the MVP discussion.

The Pacers, then, have two options as it relates to their lottery pick. They can keep it, draft a young talent, give him time to develop and hope he rises to the elite level. Or they can treat it as a liquid asset and package the pick in a trade to acquire more immediate help.

If they choose to keep it, I've already determined exactly who they should select. Given the stated needs of point guard and a big man – not to mention mental and physical toughness – and the nature of the prospects available, it seems the Pacers will be able to fill one need in the first round and the other in the second.

SCENARIO ONE

First round, Kevin Love, PF, UCLA – Love has the potential to develop into a very effective offensive force around the basket and has worked on extending his range. He's big, strong and tough and has a solid basketball IQ. The questions center on his athleticism and defensive.

Second round, Lester Hudson, G, UT-Martin – A first-round talent who ranked third in the country in 3-pointers per game (10) and first in steals, Hudson has the size, strength and all-around game to be a second-round steal, even if he isn't a pure point guard. Really, how many pure college point guards make it in the NBA? Remember Phil Ford? There are red flags about his background but, in the second round, it's worth rolling the dice.

SCENARIO TWO

First round, Russell Westbrook, G, UCLA – If you're looking for defense at the point of attack, this is your guy. Westbrook has the look of a lockdown defender with excellent size and strength. He isn't a creator and needs work on his long-range shooting but is one of those guys that finds a way to fill up a lot of columns in the box score.

Second round, D.J. White, PF, Indiana – Though perhaps a tad undersized for an NBA post player, White has the toughness and desire to make it work. If last season was an indicator, this is a guy willing to put in the work to improve his all-around game. The next step would be to improve his shooting range.

There. I'm glad that's settled.
----------------------------
Bruno didn't mention it, but it's possible we can also move backwards and pick at 12,13, or 14.

Of course is very, very, unlikely we would pick at those spots because the teams behind us, who have less of a change than we do, would have to move into the top three. We probably have better odds of picking 1st than picking 13th or 14th. Bruno's right we will most certainly pick 11th and 41st.

I like his scenarios, although I probably like #2 the best.

Hicks
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I would like either scenario (not thrilled that Hudson has a red flag, though), but the idea of shoring up our PG defense is very tempting.

esabyrn333
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I have a feeling someone will reach on Love & Westbrook and they will be gone at 11. I think someone is going to fall into our lap that we did not expect. I just don't know who.

Young
04-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm starting to get on the Russell Westbrook bandwagon here on PD.

I just think that he is the right guy. If you look at talent level and needs he is the guy for us. He has a strong character and work ethic. Mostly though he gives us something we haven't had since who knows, a big point guard who can defend.

As far as i'm concerned DJ doesn't improve our defense and the bigs likely avaliable at 11 have some character question marks such as DeAndre Jordan.

pwee31
04-22-2008, 01:24 AM
I think the Pacers will trade #11, but who knows?

Kemo
04-22-2008, 01:24 AM
shoot, I REALLY want us to draft Westbrook if he is available, and if possible trade up to be able to get him...

IMHO he is gonna be the closest to the next Jordan/Kobe/Lebron that the NBA is gonna see in awhile

CableKC
04-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Anyone else find it odd that Bruno ( aka Pacers mouthpiece ) mentions specific players that he wouldn't mind the Pacers drafting?

I also agree with esabyrn333, I think that someone is going to reach for Kevin Love and pick him by the 7-9 spots. As for Westbrook......there is a chance he could get picked early as well....but not as likely as Kevin Love being drafted before the 10th pick.

Robertmto
04-22-2008, 02:37 AM
shoot, I REALLY want us to draft Westbrook if he is available, and if possible trade up to be able to get him...

IMHO he is gonna be the closest to the next Jordan/Kobe/Lebron that the NBA is gonna see in awhile

ummmmmmm no. He isn't/ More like Tayshaun Prince

Kemo
04-22-2008, 04:28 AM
sorry , but Tayshaun prince isn't a monster on the dunks...

Westbrook is gonna be like an early , in his prime vince carter .. watch

Erik
04-22-2008, 06:23 AM
D.J. has heart, the type of toughness that will make him better than Ike even though Ike has more talent. I hope he is there for us when we pick second.

Unclebuck
04-22-2008, 08:16 AM
If the Pacers take Love from UCLA, I might get sick. So he is the guy we get rewarded with for missing the playoffs. I'd rather lose to the Celtics by 30 in 4 straight games. Wow this draft must really be bad.

One thing to keep in mind over the years, a much greater % of busts and horrible picks were big men

Vince Neil
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
If the Pacers take Love from UCLA, I might get sick. So he is the guy we get rewarded with for missing the playoffs. I'd rather lose to the Celtics by 30 in 4 straight games. Wow this draft must really be bad.

One thing to keep in mind over the years most a much, much greater % of busts and horrible picks were big men

Who would you take with the 11th pick then?

BillS
04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
One thing to keep in mind over the years most a much, much greater % of busts and horrible picks were big men

To be fair, that would be because a larger number of big men get picked higher than they probably should due to their rarity and because a larger number of big men get shoved into heavy service before they are probably ready. Makes it easier to get bad habits/nagging injury/bad reputation early in a career and show out as a bust or bad pick.

Kegboy
04-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Regarding Hudson, Conrad didn't do any great research, he just listened to Jimmy's last radio show:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=701435&postcount=55

Unclebuck
04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Who would you take with the 11th pick then?

I probably should stay out of the draft discussion, because I watch very litle college basketball. But I did see UCLA and Love didn't impress me at all and I think that is the type of player we don't need.

Pacers in general must get quicker

Kegboy
04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I probably should stay out of the draft discussion, because I watch very litle college basketball. But I did see UCLA and Love didn't impress me at all and I think that is the type of player we don't need.

Did you just see him in the tournament when he was playing hurt?

I've heard a number of people say he should go 3rd behind Rose and Beasley. Not saying I agree with that, just throwing it out there.

Vince Neil
04-22-2008, 09:49 AM

Love does run a little goofy, to say the least.

I want the Pacers to take a point guard but not sure who will be left at the 11th slot. DJ Augustine maybe, but his height (5'10", I think) scares me a little.

Evan_The_Dude
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Bird says we need experience at the point guard position and that leads me to believe we won't be drafting one. I see a better chance of us using that pick along with a player as leverage in a trade and maybe picking a bit later or possibly not at all in the first round. I'm with UB though, I'm not a Kevin Love fan.

Tom White
04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
D.J. has heart, the type of toughness that will make him better than Ike even though Ike has more talent. I hope he is there for us when we pick second.

I second that. DJ has not only worked hard on his game, but with all he went through at IU over his time there, showed just what a class act he is.

Heck, he is still at it helping IU recruit new talent. Check out this link:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/SPORTS0601/80421063/1069

Jonathan
04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I would like either scenario (not thrilled that Hudson has a red flag, though), but the idea of shoring up our PG defense is very tempting.

Hudson's red flags are as follows
He never graduated highschool. You do not have to pass a literacy test to play in the NBA.

MyFavMartin
04-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Mayo has that potential, though, more like a DWade.

Bayless could be like Billups.

Rose will be a cross between DWade and Kidd with outside shooting.

Westbrook, I think, has the potential to be more like Gary Payton with less PG skills and more scoring punch.

With Beasly, I'm thinking, a Melo-like PF.

I really like Eric Gordon's shooting range.

Don't think DJ White will still be on the board at the Pacer's second pick. Do like his heart and energy and hard work, and this is coming from a Purdue alum. I would be happy to see him in Blue and Gold, or whatever color you want to call it (maize?).

Anybody see Patrick Ewing in Brook Lopez?

MyFavMartin
04-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Hudson's red flags are as follows
He never graduated highschool. You do not have to pass a literacy test to play in the NBA.

I thank God that I came from a family that supported and emphasized education. Not everyone has that blessing.

Red flags could be viewed as adversity that a player overcame. He did go to a community college and got his GED his first semester. He seems to be very talented on the court. After everything the Pacers have gone through, they will be sure to do their homework on every draft candidate.

mrknowname
04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
hoping anthony randolph falls to us at 11.

would be the perfect PF in JOB's offense

Tom White
04-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Westbrook, I think, has the potential to be more like Gary Payton with less PG skills and more scoring punch.

Don't think DJ White will still be on the board at the Pacer's second pick. Do like his heart and energy and hard work, and this is coming from a Purdue alum. I would be happy to see him in Blue and Gold, or whatever color you want to call it (maize?).

You set some pretty high expectations there with your comparisons.

That is the great thing about the NBA draft. It is ALWAYS filled with all stars in waiting. That is, until they actually play and the high ecpectations come back down to Earth.

Speed
04-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll say this again and get knocked for it, but with regards to Love.

Who is the best american white player in the league?

Whatever your answer is, I'll respond with "exactly!"

It doesn't mean Love won't end up being an allstar I suppose, but recent history is way against him.

Bash away.

MyFavMartin
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM

He's one guy that I could see falling to us. I don't know much about him. I've read that he's a potential Lamar Odom. I've not seen him play. Would seem redundant with Shawne?

MyFavMartin
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
You set some pretty high expectations there with your comparisons.

That is the great thing about the NBA draft. It is ALWAYS filled with all stars in waiting. That is, until they actually play and the high ecpectations come back down to Earth.

That's why I put a lot of coulds and potentials. A lot of it depends on hard work (individual desire and work ethic) and luck (injuries). Guess some could come down to coaching and mentorship too.

There are two guys I have seen that I do think will be special is Rose and Mayo. (I've not seen much of Beasly, so he could be in there too.)

(This from a guy who saw Granger in his conference tournament championship game and just dreamed of him being a Pacer... Anybody who saw that game should have known his knee was fine and that he was going to be special.)

Major Cold
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
seriously folks Bruno has no clue. They are name that have been tossed around by all the "real experts".

I like Love and I do not think he will be a bust but we do need athleticism in the front court. And that is not Love.

d_c
04-22-2008, 01:43 PM

Lopez is far closer to what Chris Mihm was in college than Ewing.

NapTonius Monk
04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
sorry , but Tayshaun prince isn't a monster on the dunks...

Think more Monta Ellis.

NapTonius Monk
04-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Yeah, it looks like it. If we took him, the perfect plan would be to keep JO, and have him groomed for the post JO years.

Anthem
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
More scoring punch than Gary Payton? The guy who used to score 25ppg and whose defense was so good they called him "The Glove?"

No way Westbrook is in the same atmosphere as Payton, unless you've only seen him as an old man.

NapTonius Monk
04-22-2008, 02:32 PM

Now...we've made some 2nd round maneuvers to get several players in the past, but this is one I think we should give some serious consideration if he slips to the 2nd round. This would score some PR points, and I think DJ would be a nice big man off the bench.

Speed
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Its pretty much that every year there is 4 or 5 maybe all stars in a draft. 1 or 2 or zero frachise guys, maybe. And every once in a while you get a Carmelo or D Wade. Maybe once a decade you get a Lebron or Shaq.

Saying there are guys or several guys who are freshman who will picked and comparing them to HOFers isn't likely.

NapTonius Monk
04-22-2008, 02:48 PM
More scoring punch than Gary Payton? The guy who used to score 25ppg and whose defense was so good they called him "The Glove?"

No way Westbrook is in the same atmosphere as Payton, unless you've only seen him as an old man.

Not totally off though. Westbrook's numbers this year mirror Payton's freshman year pretty close. No doubt if Westbrook were the featured guy next year, he could put up close to the same production (except for the insane 3.4 steals Payton averaged his Senior season).

OakMoses
04-22-2008, 02:57 PM

It'll be at least 3 years before Randolph's able to contribute anything more than bench minutes. Who knows if O'Brien will be here by then?

Anthem
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Not totally off though. Westbrook's numbers this year mirror Payton's freshman year pretty close. No doubt if Westbrook were the featured guy next year, he could put up close to the same production (except for the insane 3.4 steals Payton averaged his Senior season).
Plenty of guys are big scorers in college that can't get on the court in the NBA. Westbrook doesn't even have an NBA position yet, so comparing him to one of the best 2-way players of the past 20 years seems a tad premature.

Naptown_Seth
04-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Anyone else find it odd that Bruno ( aka Pacers mouthpiece ) mentions specific players that he wouldn't mind the Pacers drafting?

I also agree with esabyrn333, I think that someone is going to reach for Kevin Love and pick him by the 7-9 spots. As for Westbrook......there is a chance he could get picked early as well....but not as likely as Kevin Love being drafted before the 10th pick.
No, not odd at all. Clearly Bird doesn't want those players and is now trying to spin them into higher picks so his guy falls through.

My guess, Gordon for the hometown bump. Not my choice, my guess.

I just wish Bruno or Bird would talk up Chase Budinger to ease my mind a little bit.

Payton-Westbrook - could there be two guys less the same on the court. Why do I find myself, Mr. Stats, having to trash out all these "I looked at the stats" opinions on these guys, especially W'brook?

Kid's got NBA talent, but it's not PG talent or particularly pure SG talent. He's all energy and scrap with the quickness and hops to make an NBA impact in those areas. Loose ball, rebound a guard shouldn't get, getting out on a break, driving for your own score...this is what he does. And I also don't get the cringe factor when I compare him to Fred Jones. Fred had plenty of impact nights for the Pacers, especially in the 03-04 playoff run to the ECF. I think vs both BOS and MIA he had games where it was his steal, 3, drive and 1, etc that sparked a burst of 8-10 points and broke the game open.

So calling him Fred is not a bad thing, it simply points out that an energy guy with some handles doesn't instantly become a PG just because you give him the ball. And as for Payton, he doesn't even D up in the same manner. Good defensive player, just not a Glove type of defender. I like him more than Augustin and perhaps Collison, just not at PG.

I did and this is even more ridiculous than the Payton thing. I saw I'd guess 12+ UCLA games. I don't think I saw one of those where the big 4 did anything different (including Shipp) here. They had nights where the shot was falling, or in Shipp's case many where it wasn't, but the roles, the styles, the go-to moves, rinse and repeat. Not one single time did 'brook do anything Vince like. Never. The kid doesn't even have Vince's outside shot at this point.

As said, think Ellis when talking about his UPSIDE. Medium is Fred Jones. Low end and he's deep bench. It's pick 11, not pick 2.

You know I've jocked Brandon Rush since JAN, but I've said all along bench/upside Bobby Phils. I'm not adverse to discussion HOF comparisons, as seen with Pippen/Granger discussions, but these are flipping college kids and apart from Beasley and Rose not a single one of them has shown NBA HOF hints yet. Heck, Kenyon Martin makes me adverse to pointing out the Karl Malone aspects to Beasley's game even.

NapTonius Monk
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Plenty of guys are big scorers in college that can't get on the court in the NBA. Westbrook doesn't even have an NBA position yet, so comparing him to one of the best 2-way players of the past 20 years seems a tad premature.

Given, college success doesn't always equate to pro success. I'm not saying he's the next GP. I'm just saying that Westbrook fits that mold of player. His biggest attribute is defense, he's athletic, and he'll wind up being a better shooter than he is now.

Shade
04-22-2008, 04:27 PM

One thing to keep in mind over the years, a much greater % of busts and horrible picks were big men

And now you're seeing why I would have preferred tanking and getting a higher pick. ;)

Shade
04-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Btw, how about option #3:

Trade into multiple first-rounders and shore up all of our holes there.

Naptown_Seth
04-22-2008, 04:29 PM

:eek:

Did you see him play prior to the tourney? Not that I think he had a bad tourney though. I mean what part of playing smart D on Lopez and consistantly forcing him into a lower PCT shot in their NCAA tourney game bothered you? Was it when he flat out took the ball out of Brook's hands when he tried to face up in the post? Was it when he took the made shot out of the net and had it to a guy scoring within 2 seconds, if that?

He's played smart as a whip, shows really strong drive to work on his game, and already does things that are applicable at the NBA level. He NEVER bites a ball or shot fake.

I think I still have a few games on the Tivo. Maybe I should get a package together for you and show it at the pre-draft party (if there is one that is). And I don't mean that as a smart *** at all. I know you take this stuff serious and take the time to look. I'm thinking that I read you saying that you didn't really follow the NCAA this year till part of the tourney, so maybe your impression is skewed.

The Pacers won't get him, but if they did I'd buy the jersey that day. He WILL NOT BE the next (insert HOF here). I've said all along he's a capable starter or possibly a 7th man type. Just like Murphy is (different skills), but younger and a lot cheaper.

I mean this kid is a freshman and most people would guess him as a senior by the style he played and the poise he showed.

Shade
04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
:eek:

Did you see him play prior to the tourney? Not that I think he had a bad tourney though. I mean what part of playing smart D on Lopez and consistantly forcing him into a lower PCT shot in their NCAA tourney game bothered you? Was it when he flat out took the ball out of Brook's hands when he tried to face up in the post? Was it when he took the made shot out of the net and had it to a guy scoring within 2 seconds, if that?

He's played smart as a whip, shows really strong drive to work on his game, and already does things that are applicable at the NBA level. He NEVER bites a ball or shot fake.

I think I still have a few games on the Tivo. Maybe I should get a package together for you and show it at the pre-draft party (if there is one that is). And I don't mean that as a smart *** at all. I know you take this stuff serious and take the time to look. I'm thinking that I read you saying that you didn't really follow the NCAA this year till part of the tourney, so maybe your impression is skewed.

The Pacers won't get him, but if they did I'd buy the jersey that day. He WILL NOT BE the next (insert HOF here). I've said all along he's a capable starter or possibly a 7th man type. Just like Murphy is (different skills), but younger and a lot cheaper.

I mean this kid is a freshman and most people would guess him as a senior by the style he played and the poise he showed.

Seth, you're wasting your time. UB doesn't watch college ball. ;)

With that said, however, I think Love is a reach as a Top 10 pick. He's a solid player with excellent fundamentals, but he's never going to be a superstar. And we need a superstar.

Since86
04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Love's shortcomings will be because he's not athletic enough.

He won't be able to step out and guard anyone farther than 5ft from the rim, and I'm not so sure he'll be able to really defend bigger stronger post players than what he's seen in college.

Okay, he made other college post players look silly. Most won't sniff the NBA.

The Pacers need someone to really help interior defense, and that's going to be his big question mark. The team needs athletic players who can block shots, Love can't do that.

I think his stock will drop quite a bit once the camp rolls around and numbers can be attached to his athleticism.

Hicks
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I'll say this again and get knocked for it, but with regards to Love.

Who is the best american white player in the league?

Whatever your answer is, I'll respond with "exactly!"

It doesn't mean Love won't end up being an allstar I suppose, but recent history is way against him.

Bash away.

I don't think it's too much to ask to rate him on his ability and not his skin color.

Major Cold
04-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Seth, you're wasting your time. UB doesn't watch college ball. ;)

With that said, however, I think Love is a reach as a Top 10 pick. He's a solid player with excellent fundamentals, but he's never going to be a superstar. And we need a superstar.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO GET A SUPERSTAR IN THIS DRAFT.

owl
04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Good call intrid. The Pacers if they pick well and have a little luck will end up with
a very good player. I would be very happy with Love. He reminds me a little of Wes Unseld.
Block out, rebound,turn and throw a two handed pass down the court for a lay-up.

Anthem
04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
but he's never going to be a superstar. And we need a superstar.
You won't get one with the #11, either in the draft or through a trade. If we get a solid starter out of this draft I'll be thrilled.

ABADays
04-22-2008, 10:46 PM

I'm glad we got Harrison when we did then.

Naptown_Seth
04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
WE ARE NOT GOING TO GET A SUPERSTAR IN THIS DRAFT.
Exactly. What I like about Love is how he reads the action and makes the most of situations. I also like his below the rim game which reminds me a bit of McHale, the gym rat moves that still work in the NBA, up and under, underhand flips, a little bump to clear space, stuff like that.

I want him on the team to adjust how the team plays ball, as in SMART. I agree that at times Thabeet or Jordan show athletic ability, but at the same time they aren't any younger than Love. So why don't they "get it" like he does? Why can't a guy with Thabeet's talent avoid chasing block attempts that he has no shot at, why can't he rebound as well, why can't he score as well, why was he often a non-factor for UConn despite being their "best" player? Why can't Jordan break his own team's starting lineup?

That's my issue on these bigs. I like Arthur because he showed that he can be the go-to post scorer even if the rest of his game is meh. And I like Dorsey because he showed he can get in there and bang with the best of them and brings that Dale fire. But other than that I'm not all that blown away by the bigs.

Love is likely to just be sufficient, but given the nature of busts a lot of these guys are likely to be totally out of the game because the thing that will make them bust is their ability to apply their gifts to the sport and without that they are nearly useless.

To me they are swing for the fences picks, especially Jordan, and I just don't see how the team can risk it. I also don't see how anyone saw Jordan vs Love and thought Love was the guy to avoid.