PDA

View Full Version : New owners INDIANA PACERS

rocket man
04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Larry Bird has some kind of deal in place with the Simons to buy the PACERS? I think that Donnie Walsh knew of this, and left because of this deal.
What other reason would he have for leaving the PACERS for N.Y.
He was making good money with the Pacers I'm sure.
To just walk away from the best 24 years of his life like he did,just doesn't add up.
I also believe that he wanted no part of the future (Larry Bird Pacers).
And Bird didn't want Walsh to be a part of them either.
I might be wrong about all of this, but I dont think so. What do you think?
Time will tell.

Raoul Duke
04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
I think it's just you.

idioteque
04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I strongly believe that Bird does not have the money to have the majority share in the Pacers. He is rich, but not I-own-like-every-mall-in-the-United-States rich.

Naptown_Seth
04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
But what if he runs the team into the ground, drops attendence to worst in the league and gets a 3rd mortgage on his Ghostbusters franchise?

Suddenly that price tag is getting within his range.

Anthem
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
But what if he runs the team into the ground, drops attendence to worst in the league and gets a 3rd mortgage on his Ghostbusters franchise?

Suddenly that price tag is getting within his range.
So basically Larry Bird is his own Hudsucker Proxy.

Ownagedood
04-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I think it's just you.
Lol, agreed. I don't think there is anything behind it. He just didn't want to be a Pacer any longer.

duke dynamite
04-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Sigmund Freud.

It's all in your head.

Roaming Gnome
04-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Honestly, I can see Larry Bird putting an ownership group together to buy the Pacers, if they are offered to him. Larry Bird was the name on the Charlotte ownership group, but I believe Steve Belkin was a main component of the ownership group. After Larry lost out to Bob Johnson, Belkin got involved in the ownership mess in Atlanta.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that a deal could be in place with Bird having a share of ownership. I thought he was offered a share when he coached?

As for Donnie, his leaving was totally unrelated to anything with the future ownership of the team. I believe that Donnie was not ready to retire, but knew he and Bird couldn't stay on here, so he moved on.

count55
04-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Sometimes, my friend, a cigar is just a cigar.

RWB
04-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Honestly, I can see Larry Bird putting an ownership group together to buy the Pacers, if they are offered to him. Larry Bird was the name on the Charlotte ownership group, but I believe Steve Belkin was a main component of the ownership group. After Larry lost out to Bob Johnson, Belkin got involved in the ownership mess in Atlanta.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that a deal could be in place with Bird having a share of ownership. I thought he was offered a share when he coached?

As for Donnie, his leaving was totally unrelated to anything with the future ownership of the team. I believe that Donnie was not ready to retire, but knew he and Bird couldn't stay on here, so he moved on.

Yep, I agree with Gnome here. Even though Bird likes to play the awe shucks I'm still poorer than dirt common guy theme he actually has alot of money connections. Been latching onto money/power brokers since he was at Indiana State.

Major Cold
04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Sometimes, my friend, a cigar is just a cigar.
I would respond to this with a joke about a former president but the content is political.