PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Returning to Pacers in some capacity?..........

MagicRat
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
From the business section of this morning's Star......

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080420/BUSINESS07/804200327/1104/BUSINESS07

April 20, 2008

John Ketzenberger

New Pacers exec is veteran of tall tasks

Jim Morris' staff poked waxy candles in a head of lettuce surrounded by broccoli and carrots Friday to celebrate his 65th birthday.

The vegetables are a concession to age and the need to eat better, but Morris isn't slowing down. He proved that when he said yes to Herb Simon's request to take over Pacers Sports & Entertainment.

Why would Morris want to take on the dysfunctional Pacers, a team that is losing games on the court and money off of it?

Because the team needs him and he wants to help. It's the same attitude that caused a much younger Morris to join then-Mayor Richard Lugar's staff. The same drive that put him atop Indianapolis Water Co. and Lilly Endowment.

And it's the same instinct that he took to the United Nations' World Food Program and all over the world for five years.

Make no mistake: Morris knows the Pacers' problems pale compared with finding ways to feed 850 million malnourished people. But Morris remembers the time 30 years ago when the Pacers were in crisis and he, David Frick and Ted Boehm persuaded Herb and Mel Simon to buy the team.

The Pacers have been integral to much of what has happened Downtown -- the commerce, the renovation and the community. Now the team's at rock bottom again -- out of the playoffs, with the league's lowest attendance and a poor reputation.

With fans and business owners wondering aloud why they would want to support the franchise, Morris sees it as his mission to remind them. He recalls the glory days of Mel Daniels and Darnell Hillman. He drops the name Reggie Miller and suggests we may see more of 31.

Morris talks about character and teamwork and honor. He knows it's important to restore respect for the Pacers. Without it, fans won't come and businesses won't pay to sponsor the team. And the city won't give the Pacers more control of Conseco Fieldhouse like the Colts have with Lucas Oil Stadium.

Morris praises Larry Bird ("he's got a knack for business") and Herb Simon ("he's brought new energy to this place").

Morris, the second man on the organizational chart, does not mention himself. A good coach doesn't. Morris never was associated with a sports team, but he always has operated like John Wooden in the huddle. "I used to say at the WFP, we have to do more, do it better and do it together," Morris said.

Indianapolis has always had to work harder than other cities, Morris says. The challenge is no different with the Pacers.

"For us to be an extraordinary place," Morris said, "we have to work especially hard."
Rejigger three words and you get what makes Morris tick: "Extraordinary, hard work."

granger33
04-20-2008, 11:19 AM
This article makes no sense to me?

What's happening?

Hicks
04-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm trying to decide if this suggests using his name and image, or actually getting him to literally become involved. I'd think as long as he's with TNT it will mostly be the former.

Kofi
04-20-2008, 11:55 AM
It seems it's more a matter of when, not if, Reggie returns to the team in some way.

slyder
04-20-2008, 12:42 PM
it would be relatively easy to incorporate him into the mix in a consultant kind of way. and smart business, too.

carpediem024
04-20-2008, 01:30 PM
it would be relatively easy to incorporate him into the mix in a consultant kind of way. and smart business, too.

;)

grace
04-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Eh, if Mark Jackson becomes coach of the Knicks I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie did something with them.

Don't shoot! Just sending it out there into the cosmos. That way if it does happen you people won't be blindsided by it.

Los Angeles
04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't read too much into this. To meet the language used in the article, all reggie has to do is show up and do a seminar or just watch a few games from the stands.

duke dynamite
04-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I agree with Los Angeles. That statement was just a hook to keep the reader well...reading.

Roaming Gnome
04-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I can blame the focus group for this one. Out of the 14 members that participated, 12 demanded the franchise offer Reggie a position.

I was one of the 2 holdouts. I just feel that it only adds up to being a P.R. move and a waste of time. Bringing Reggie back in some capacity that isn't coaching or running the show is not going to put butts in the seats.

Tom White
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I can see the Pacers using Reggie in commercials/promotional spots.

I can see a promo with Reg looking at the camera as if he is looking through it and seeing his old fans:

"Hey, Hi, haven't seen you for a while. Where've you been? Did you think that just because I'm not playing anymore you could just set at home instead of going to the games?"

"Well, if you're thinking that way, you're gonna miss some really good times at the Fieldhouse. Oh, and one other thing. Dale Davis still knows where you live!" (Camera cuts to a picture of Dale looking menacing as ever. As the scene fades you hear Reg cackling with laughter in the background.)

Suaveness
04-20-2008, 08:35 PM
They should do reggie in a commercial where there is an old feel, they talk about the Indiana great legend...but then they show it as Granger instead laughing at Reggie

I miss Scot

JayRedd
04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Statue?

grace
04-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Wasn't Reggie already in that DVD the team sent out to season ticket holders last year? I don't think it did a very good job of convincing people to go to the games.