PDA

View Full Version : Soulja Boy to possibly attend Game 3 or 4 in Cavs/Wizards series

Basketball Fan
04-19-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1208593924262640.xml&coll

Soulja Boy feels disrespected by Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James, but he feels important because of comments
Playoff series is music to Soulja Boy's ears Saturday, April 19, 2008Branson WrightPlain Dealer Reporter
DeAndre Way is not much of a basketball fan, and he surprisingly has never seen LeBron James play. So when Way saw that James mentioned his stage name, "Soulja Boy," in a recent article, Way was caught way off guard.

"Someone from Interscope Records called me and sent me the quote," Way said. "I looked and didn't really think much about it. LeBron said something like he was Jay-Z and DeShawn [Stevenson] is Soulja Boy. I took that as [disrespectful]."

Following the Cavaliers practice on Friday in preparation of today's Game 1 of the first round of the playoffs against the Washington Wizards, James said he was not trying to be disrespectful to Way.

Advertisement
All James attempted to do was respond to the slight given to him by Wizards guard Stevenson. Today's game is the first time Stevenson and James have competed against each other since the Cavs lost last month to Washington. After James missed a 3-point shot that would have won the game for the Cavs, Stevenson told reporters, among other things, that James was overrated.

Shortly after those comments, James said: "With DeShawn Stevenson, it's kind of funny. It's almost like Jay-Z [responding to a negative comment] made by Soulja Boy. It doesn't make sense to respond."

Jay-Z is one of the top hip-hop artists, while Soulja Boy -- though wildly popular -- is considered by some reviewers as a one-hit wonder. But the catchy tune "Crank That" remains a popular hit.

The single was initially self-published on the Internet, and it became a No. 1 hit for seven non-consecutive weeks starting in September 2007.

The "Soulja Boy Dance" is performed in night clubs, socials and in sports arenas across the country. Even James was caught on camera doing the "Soulja Boy Dance" during a game this season.

"When I first came out, there [were] a lot of people that did my dance from football players to basketball players to soccer players," said Way, 17. "So this makes me feel like a very important individual. I'm in the middle of this conversation in the playoffs, and that makes me feel good. I knew my name was going to come up in sports, because of the song, but I never thought it would come up in a conversation like that."

But it has.

In fact, Stevenson responded to James' comments by inviting Way to an upcoming playoff game. Stevenson promised to have Way at courtside in a Wizards jersey. Way said he will accept the invitation. He is expected to attend either Game 3 or Game 4 in Washington.

"I'm all for it," Way said. "He invited me out, and I don't have a problem coming . . . I'm [cheering] for whoever backs me. I can't go for whoever's going against me."

Way said he has never seen James play because he's not much of a basketball fan. Working on new music takes up most of his time. Way, who grew up in Atlanta, is more of a football fan. Since the Atlanta Hawks are in the playoffs and since he has been invited to the playoff series between the Cavs and the Wizards, basketball will become more of a priority.

Although Way even admitted he doesn't have much of basketball talent, he would not oppose a 2-on-2 basketball game for charity between himself and Stevenson against James and Jay-Z.

"Oh man, let's do it," Way said. "I can't hoop, but we all have money, and I can quickly get some training."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

bwright@plaind.com, 216-999-4671

OnlyPacersLeft
04-19-2008, 08:40 PM
lol james/jay z vs stevenson/soulja boy would be such a slaughter house...LOL

Dece
04-19-2008, 08:41 PM
If he feels disrespected does that mean he thinks he's as good a rapper as Jay-Z? Yea, good one kid.

Trader Joe
04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Soulja Boy is a disgrace.

ajbry
04-19-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd rather invite Immortal Technique, get him courtside and give him free reign to destroy both of these clowns...

Why is this news?

Infinite MAN_force
04-19-2008, 08:49 PM
God do I hate modern rap. :puke:

ajbry
04-19-2008, 08:49 PM
God do I hate mainstream rap. :puke:

Fixed.

I have a feeling this thread is headed towards Club Rio.

AesopRockOn
04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I'd rather invite Immortal Technique, get him courtside and give him free reign to destroy both of these clowns...

Why is this news?

His new joint out yet?

Infinite MAN_force
04-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Fixed.

I have a feeling this thread is headed towards Club Rio.

good call actually, I can enjoy myself some mos def, jurassic 5, roots, etc... along with some of the early 90s and 80s stuff... but the current popular "in da club" crap just makes me ill.

ajbry
04-19-2008, 09:05 PM
His new joint out yet?

The Third World should be out fairly soon (due in the "spring") and Middle Passage will probably be a while longer, I'd assume 2009.

Trader Joe
04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
I love how on Soulja Boy's wikipedia page they say that 50 Cent is one of the rapper's who has blamed Soulja Boy for watering down mainstream rap.
That is the highest of high comedy.

Robertmto
04-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Stevenson > Soulja > no one

carpediem024
04-19-2008, 09:28 PM
SouljaBoy is Garbage.

AesopRockOn
04-19-2008, 09:42 PM
The Third World should be out fairly soon (due in the "spring") and Middle Passage will probably be a while longer, I'd assume 2009.

Sounds good. Feels like I've been bumpin' Caught in a Hustle and Bin Laden for years now. Wonder if he likes Obama.

ajbry
04-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Sounds good. Feels like I've been bumpin' Caught in a Hustle and Bin Laden for years now. Wonder if he likes Obama.

I would bet he doesn't, simply because Obama in reality still represents partisanship and the political machine. Although I can't picture him supporting anyone who's not a revolutionary...

Hicks
04-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Moving to Club Rio....

JayRedd
04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Middle Passage was supposed to be out like three years ago. So frustrating.

Isaac
04-19-2008, 11:24 PM

Why is this news?

Good call, been listening to Tech for years now, its great for me to see him really blow up in the underground scene.

To anyone who thinks all modern hip-hop is bad, try listening to Mr. Lif, Talib Kweli, Del (especially the album Deltron 3030), Mos Def, Jurrasic 5, The Roots or Wu Tang's newest album 8 Diagrams.

The problem is people don't know any good hip hop anymore. Too many people say they listen to underground hiphop and then when you ask them who they like they say Kanye West or Lupe Fiasco. Depressing.

Robertmto
04-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Good call, been listening to Tech for years now, its great for me to see him really blow up in the underground scene.

To anyone who thinks all modern hip-hop is bad, try listening to Mr. Lif, Talib Kweli, Del (especially the album Deltron 3030), Mos Def, Jurrasic 5, The Roots or Wu Tang's newest album 8 Diagrams.

The problem is people don't know any good hip hop anymore. Too many people say they listen to underground hiphop and then when you ask them who they like they say Kanye West or Lupe Fiasco. Depressing.

Lol @ *no one, because we respect our fellow PD brothers & sisters ;) - Mal *saying IT is better than Kanye or Lupe.

All he raps about is conspiracy theory and btw he has a good vocabulary but NO delivery and horrible music to go with it. Andhis audio quality is pretty bad too, IMO

bellisimo
04-20-2008, 10:08 AM
There is nothing wrong with making hits for the clubs...but compared to the club hits of the 90s and todays "hits"...its such a watered down garbage...you can't really enjoy it :(

idioteque
04-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Soulja Boy is the worst rapper of all time. I would rather listen to Vanilla Ice. Soulja Boy deserves no respect.

AesopRockOn
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Lol @ *no one, because we respect our fellow PD brothers & sisters ;) - Mal *saying IT is better than Kanye or Lupe.

All he raps about is conspiracy theory and btw he has a good vocabulary but NO delivery and horrible music to go with it. Andhis audio quality is pretty bad too, IMO

I got respect for LF, none for Kanye (he's an above average sampler, that's it). But Tech would absolutely crush either in any field of hip hop except maybe a strict club banger. No offense, but you're totally wrong on his flow; it's a little too lined up to be considered really unique, but it suffices when he spits. And why are you saying that the samples have anything to do with the rapper? It's irrelevant. In any case, I'd much rather listen to the instrumentals to Caught in ahustle, You Never Know and Leaving the Past than any of th ebeats on Kanye's last ******* child. You're still cool though. ;)

AesopRockOn
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Soulja Boy is the worst rapper of all time. I would rather listen to Vanilla Ice. Soulja Boy deserves no respect.

While this is true, you've got to remember that he's only a kid. He obviously has no idea what's going on and he's just being used as a tool for the labels, MTV, etc. I point more anger at the labels and the rappers who are actually thirty and making this level of crap. IOW, Soulja Boy has no idea that he's part of a contingency that is destroying hip hop music and setting black Americans back to the days of the minstrel shows (1840's ish). The record companies know though.

idioteque
04-20-2008, 07:41 PM
While this is true, you've got to remember that he's only a kid. He obviously has no idea what's going on and he's just being used as a tool for the labels, MTV, etc. I point more anger at the labels and the rappers who are actually thirty and making this level of crap. IOW, Soulja Boy has no idea that he's part of a contingency that is destroying hip hop music and setting black Americans back to the days of the minstrel shows (1840's ish). The record companies know though.

Record companies are obviously out to exploit people for a profit, there is no doubt in my mind about this. What angers me the most is that Soulja Boys parents or guardians or whatever allow him to continue to make this kind of crappy music, probably to line their own pockets. I doubt at his age Soulja Boy sees all of the money that is coming his way.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gtc9f2WBcKg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gtc9f2WBcKg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That has been my favorite video for a long time. Immortal Technique never did it for me, but I respect his following.

rexnom
04-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Isn't talking about how bad modern rap/hip-hop is something that white people love to do? It definitely should be.

idioteque
04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Isn't talking about how bad modern rap/hip-hop is something that white people love to do? It definitely should be.

Well, they already love Mos Def.

Robertmto
04-21-2008, 12:06 AM
I got respect for LF, none for Kanye (he's an above average sampler, that's it). But Tech would absolutely crush either in any field of hip hop except maybe a strict club banger. No offense, but you're totally wrong on his flow; it's a little too lined up to be considered really unique, but it suffices when he spits. And why are you saying that the samples have anything to do with the rapper? It's irrelevant. In any case, I'd much rather listen to the instrumentals to Caught in ahustle, You Never Know and Leaving the Past than any of th ebeats on Kanye's last ******* child. You're still cool though. ;)

Do you hear the things Kanye says? He's a lyrical genius. Lupe too.

IT's music just sounds low quality, and his rhyme scheme is awful.

Moses
04-21-2008, 02:47 AM

IT's music just sounds low quality, and his rhyme scheme is awful.
Kanye is not a lyrical genius at all, although he is a good producer. I do agree with you about IT..I hate how he raps.

rexnom
04-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Yep...they love it.

AesopRockOn
04-21-2008, 02:30 PM
There are white people on this board?

Okay, try listening to this track by Tech for the people who aren't feeling him. If you don't like it, then we'll forget about it. (This is from five years ago so he could be awful now but this is what I think of when dude comes to mind.)

5pqiqrnZE44

Dc, I feel ya. I love Talib but it's kind of disappointing that his first LP was his best. I think he just needs to do another one with Hi Tek.

idioteque
04-21-2008, 04:11 PM
There are white people on this board?

Okay, try listening to this track by Tech for the people who aren't feeling him. If you don't like it, then we'll forget about it. (This is from five years ago so he could be awful now but this is what I think of when dude comes to mind.)

5pqiqrnZE44

Dc, I feel ya. I love Talib but it's kind of disappointing that his first LP was his best. I think he just needs to do another one with Hi Tek.

Yes, Eardrum was terrible. I actually own his first LP but I do like some of the older Blackstar stuff as well.

Kanye is good, but somewhat overrated lyrically in my opinion. His production skills are top notch though, he's so good that he actually got me to enjoy that silly Twista "Overnight Celebrity" song.

I don't know if anyone here has heard of the Cool Kids, but that's decent stuff from Chicago as well. They could be pretty popular, I don't know, I am pretty disconnected from what's hot. And Tabi Bonney, most of his rap is pretty poppy, but his videos have some good scenes from DC so I gotta love it.

ajbry
04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Eardrum was definitely a poor showing by Kweli (except Hostile Gospel and Country Cousins are good tracks).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3u3JSEqNtlg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3u3JSEqNtlg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This is IT's best work. Better than Dance with the Devil, better than Bin Laden.

2nd verse >>>>>>>>>>>>>

ajbry
04-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Ludacris is excellent at turning a cute phrase as well... Is he a lyrical genius?

Lupe is sometimes tolerable and Kanye is extraordinarily overhyped. If he didn't dress like he does and come across as some eccentric personality his rap career would've ended 4 years ago.

EDIT: I am very much looking forward to Rhymefest's new album though so I shouldn't talk that much ***** about Kanye.

Robertmto
04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Rhymefest writes for Kanye...i think thats what u mean so...

Isaac
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM

There isn't a single aspect of hip-hop where Lupe or Kanye come even close to Tech's level.

Robertmto
04-22-2008, 07:29 PM
There isn't a single aspect of hip-hop where Lupe or Kanye come even close to Tech's level.

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. PS I'm right. lol. If Tech was any good he would have been signed and or known by now. If he had ANY talent, which IMO he doesn't.

ajbry
04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Taken from http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=887...

Is signing with a major label something you’ve considered?
They keep trying to sign me as an artist and throw money at me without realizing that this isn’t about just paper for me. It’s about principle and about my success rate as the president of my own label. As the VP and then the president of Viper, I sold 80,000 copies of Vol.2 and I sold about 35,000 of Vol.1. SoundScan might give you some numbers that are lower, but the first 30,000 of Vol.2 I moved on my own and through a series of smaller distributors. I mean, before I even had distribution I moved about 10,000 on my own for $8 to $10. I don’t need to pretend to be paid for anyone. Even though I’m from Harlem, I’m not really flashy. I got a Third World country work ethic, like the Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, Colombians. I’m mostly Peruvian, so I put my money into investments. I own three apartments and a house I bought for my grandmother in South America. I own over 50 acres of farmland in Peru. I’m putting my sister through school and now medical school. I get as much as many major label artists for shows. I mean, my agent won’t call me unless we’re talking $5,000 to $15,000. I’m not starving and broke and willing to sell my soul to them along with the rights to my masters and publishing. I’m not looking for the big advance. I’m looking for what a record deal—or rather, a P&D deal—should be. A deal, not some piece of paper written in legalese that makes me a slave.

Tech is crazy talented and can articulate things into spoken words most people can't even imagine in the first place.

Robertmto
04-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Taken from http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=887...

Tech is crazy talented and can articulate things into spoken words most people can't even imagine in the first place.

I'd like to see proof of the labels that tried to sign him, and bragging about selling less than 100k records is pretty bad, especially when you guys are saying he's better than one of the best lyricists ever (Lupe)

AesopRockOn
04-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see proof of the labels that tried to sign him, and bragging about selling less than 100k records is pretty bad, especially when you guys are saying he's better than one of the best lyricists ever (Lupe)

At this point, Lupe might be close to top 75 emcees ever, at best. C'mon he's released two damn records so far. Hip hop has been around a lot longer than you're thinking.

ajbry
04-23-2008, 07:20 PM

What is your fixation with Lupe? I don't think he's anything special relative to the best rappers of all-time. Dude is lucky that hip-hop is so saturated with low-quality content so that his ***** seems amazing just by comparison...

Stryder
04-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Best lyricist ever? Provide me with some of these supposed "best lyrics" ever? I seriously do not know any of Lupe's music.