PDA

View Full Version : DA_SMASH - General Forum Question

Twes
04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
SOmebody just recycled an old thread it looks like was started by DaSmash.

That's a name that goes way back to the mid 90's on the Star Board.

I know Smash was banned from here.

Smash had great passion for the Pacers and would often ruffle feathers.

I'm guessing because he was banned the majority reaction on here will be good ridence. We don't want that type of abrasivness on here etc etc.

I just have one question for you. When DaSmash was posting whether you agreed with him or not, believed in sources or not... did you find yourself always reading those threads?

Were'nt those some of the most entertaining threads even if all you or others did was to log in to argue with him.

Admittedly I'm biased...I always enjoyed Smash back in the day and was sorry to read he was banned from here.

There are those of us that believe having some spice to the forum makes it more entertaining.

Thoughts?

JayRedd
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I thought he was annoying, which may or may not be ironic.

ajbry
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Who dat?

The admins here are EXTREMELY tolerant and give multiple chances before banning. Their decisions are usually right on the money.

avoidingtheclowns
04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I thought he was annoying, which may or may not be ironic.

i guess it depends on what you think of free rides when you've already paid.

Speed
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Annoying, yes, but I always read it for pure entertainment value. When I first saw his posts on the Star back in the day, I'd be all mad. He acted like he was David Morway, if David Morway was a professional wrestler.

Then you realized he was just some guy trying to get attention, it made it a little different perspective.

Then the more you read it, you realized what it was and you enjoyed it for the entertainment value.

I had no idea he was banned, I knew he hadn't been here in awhile.

I kept waiting for a post about something like how Kyle Korver will dominate for Philadephia next year (he's in Utah now) and how the Charlotte HORNETS really won't be good with Chris Paul and Adam Morrison playing for Micheal Jordan, unless they trade with the Vancouver Grizzles. And then get all mad when people disagree.

I didn't like the constant Laker fans who kept shoving Crittenden down our throats last summer, but the Smash was harmless to me.

Maybe he went over the line and deserved being banned, I'm sure, but I miss his nonsense.

Tom White
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Obnoxious is the first word that comes to my mind.

Arcadian
04-18-2008, 03:41 PM
The poster who said were going to trade for Gerald Wallace and then cut him?

Kofi
04-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Whatever happened to that Jermainiac kid?

JayRedd
04-18-2008, 03:44 PM
i guess it depends on what you think of free rides when you've already paid.

I meant more that it depends on how annoying you think I am.

But, yeah, I also have waaaay too many spoons.

Speed
04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
The poster who said were going to trade for Gerald Wallace and then cut him?

Yep! it was part of his team by team break down of trades for the Pacers I think. There were some other things in there that were from like 2 months before, if I remember. It was like he was writing an article, put it on hold, and then came back to it and posted it. Weird stuff.

avoidingtheclowns
04-18-2008, 03:45 PM

unclebuck owed him a lot of money from gambling debts so UB shoved him in a woodchipper.

JayRedd
04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
unclebuck owed him a lot of money from gambling debts so UB shoved him in a woodchipper.

Dontcha know.

ajbry
04-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Your presence in this thread is pretty damn ironic.

Doddage
04-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Wasn't this guy one of the Laker trolls?

On the note of this topic, I call for a return of Y2J. Not sure why he was banned, but I enjoyed his posts.

avoidingtheclowns
04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Wasn't this guy one of the Laker trolls?

no.

On the note of this topic, I call for a return of Y2J. Not sure why he was banned, but I enjoyed his posts.

Well... scroll up.

Doddage
04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Elaborate.

Shade
04-18-2008, 03:55 PM
DaSmash dared us to ban him one too many times, and we finally obliged.

I didn't have any problem with DaSmash personally, but his overwhelming sense of entitlement and talking down to everyone as if they were morons did not mesh well here at all.

Speed
04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Ya elaborate?

:drama:

Speed
04-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I'll take a look over at Rats occasionally and I don't think I've seen him there either.

Los Angeles
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM
There are plenty of Pacers boards out there, Real GM, RATS, etc.

Many of those boards enjoy a looser feel where insults and hyperbole are commonplace. Some members who enjoy that kind of environment might be better off elsewhere.

PD just goes its own way, and I for one appreciate that.

Twes
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM
I wasn't giving you guys feedback as much as I was attempting to generate conversation.

I feel like this being moved is out of line.

Los Angeles
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I wasn't giving you guys feedback as much as I was attempting to generate conversation.

I feel like this being moved is out of line.

Well, this doesn't have anything to do with the pacers or even sports for that matter. :shrug:

Twes
04-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Well, this doesn't have anything to do with the pacers or even sports for that matter. :shrug:

Thanks for your opinion.

Hicks
04-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for your opinion.

He's right. The feedback board has always doubled as a public place to ask questions such as the one you raised.

SoupIsGood
04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Were'nt those some of the most entertaining threads

No.

I thought he was annoying

Yes.

Twes
04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
He's right. The feedback board has always doubled as a public place to ask questions such as the one you raised.

Ok Mal. Thanks for the clarification.

Twes
04-18-2008, 07:30 PM
The purpose of this thread was to take a step back and look at this subject. Sometimes when you are close to something and react to it you lose perspective of the big picture.

What makes a better forum- highly controlled or a little looser. I don't don't think you can control what people have to say. You can have rules no question. In Smash's case I have no idea what went on. Maybe he was warned 50 times. I don't know. I used him as example because I know he could be rough but yet was a hard core fan that seemingly would fit right in on this board.

I just think it's an interesting topic and I was anxious to hear more about how people feel.

What I like is pure honest exchange. It relates to Pacer talk or society as a whole. I'm seeing some trends toward censorship in society that are a little disturbing to me.

idioteque
04-18-2008, 08:03 PM
DaSmash is simply too busy to post here now, besides, we're not worthy.

It's a sad time in PacersDigest that we can't get the inside word of DaSmash, who was always privy to the goings on of the offices in the Fieldhouse. :rolleyes:

idioteque
04-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Related question: Is there any list on this board of banned members?

Arcadian
04-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't really miss DaSmash. He didn't add to my reading pleasure.

On to the broader question. Either you choose to go by the rules here or you don't. You don't go to Canada and complain about the snow, go to Indiana and complain about blue laws, go to California and complain about sunshine...you know what you are getting into.

Personally, I have never managed not to get my post deleted, censured or warned so I feel able to fully express myself here. I think the mods do a great job, try to hear what people thing and earn every penny they get.

Twes
04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I believe if you're a Canadian and you love your country and you feel it's on the wrong path it's healthy to say so.

And in a democracy you communicate disagreements when you have them. We are in a democracy aren't we? :)

I've been posting on this board or it's linear predecessors for a long long time... meaning I've got connections on here with people that mean something to me. This place means something to me.

But when I have something to say I say it.

Arcadian
04-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I know. I was just expressing how I felt. Just as you are doing.

Mods are doing a great job. I feel no restrictions to say what I want. No complaints from me.

Twes
04-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I know. I was just expressing how I felt. Just as you are doing.

Mods are doing a great job. I feel no restrictions to say what I want. No complaints from me.

At least we know the sunshiners are ok.

:D

Shade
04-19-2008, 03:02 AM
The purpose of this thread was to take a step back and look at this subject. Sometimes when you are close to something and react to it you lose perspective of the big picture.

What makes a better forum- highly controlled or a little looser. I don't don't think you can control what people have to say. You can have rules no question. In Smash's case I have no idea what went on. Maybe he was warned 50 times. I don't know. I used him as example because I know he could be rough but yet was a hard core fan that seemingly would fit right in on this board.

I just think it's an interesting topic and I was anxious to hear more about how people feel.

What I like is pure honest exchange. It relates to Pacer talk or society as a whole. I'm seeing some trends toward censorship in society that are a little disturbing to me.

Like I said before, DaSmash would talk down to and belittle everyone as if they were morons. He felt that just because he supposedly has connections with the Pacers, that gave him the right to walk around with a sense of entitlement and everyone else was privileged to bask in his presence.

He literally DARED us to ban him on several occasions. He finally went too far and we had had enough. If anything, he was given more leeway than most. Funny thing, actually. The people who get the most chances often turn out to be the nastiest ones on their way out the door (DaSmash, Jermaniac, Sassan, etc.).

Los Angeles
04-19-2008, 03:25 AM
What are you gonna do about it? BAN me?!? GO AHEAD, IDIOT!!! SEE IF I CARE!!!

;)

Twes
04-19-2008, 07:22 AM
On the face of it the guy sounds like a prick. But believe it or not I can actually "imagine" a set of circumstances - in response to private message threats that this makes more sense.

Of course you'd never know that.

The word on the street would be that he must have wanted to be banned. He had every chance. He just didn't follow the rules.

Tom White
04-19-2008, 10:10 AM
I believe if you're a Canadian and you love your country and you feel it's on the wrong path it's healthy to say so.

And in a democracy you communicate disagreements when you have them. We are in a democracy aren't we? :)
I've been posting on this board or it's linear predecessors for a long long time... meaning I've got connections on here with people that mean something to me. This place means something to me.

But when I have something to say I say it.

Yes we live in a democracy. But that refers to the country, not a fan forum. Much like paying taxes gives us a right to voice our opinions on how those taxes are spent, I think if we were being charged a membership fee to be a part of this forum we would then have a right to a greater say concerning the rules.

Twes, I have always had respect for your opinions, and your posting style. Part of that has to do with what I am going to now say.

The difference between someone such as yourself and Smash is in the way you choose to express your disagreement with others.

On one hand, you have always managed to show respect and restraint when you have entered into a....let's say intense....debate with another poster. You have shown class and thoughtfulness on any occasion that I can recall. Oh, you might throw a barb someones way once in a while, but generally in a way to introduce humor into an otherwise non-humorous situation.

On the other hand, Smash, when finding himself in the same situation, was much more likely to be condescending to the opinions of those he did not agree with. All the way to the point of name calling and generally insulting others.

I've been the recipient of some of those insults, both here, and in the old days at Indystar.

In total fairness, let me say that I have also stepped out of line before, and Mal let me know about it. I got the forum version of a warning ticket for that little episode.

I may not have agreed with my "warning ticket", but I understood his point of view, and appreciated the private way it was handled.

I have to think that Smash was given the same treatment as I was, and given ample opportunity to think about his words. My guess is his reaction to his "warning tickets" was different than mine, and that eventually got him banned.

We've also got to remember why this board was started. It was the utter lack of control exibited by the Indystar moderators that gave birth to Pacers Digest.

Anyway, I just wanted express my opinion in a more than a "first word that comes to my mind" format.

Twes
04-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Yes we live in a democracy. But that refers to the country, not a fan forum. Much like paying taxes gives us a right to voice our opinions on how those taxes are spent, I think if we were being charged a membership fee to be a part of this forum we would then have a right to a greater say concerning the rules.

Twes, I have always had respect for your opinions, and your posting style. Part of that has to do with what I am going to now say.

The difference between someone such as yourself and Smash is in the way you choose to express your disagreement with others.

On one hand, you have always managed to show respect and restraint when you have entered into a....let's say intense....debate with another poster. You have shown class and thoughtfulness on any occasion that I can recall. Oh, you might throw a barb someones way once in a while, but generally in a way to introduce humor into an otherwise non-humorous situation.

On the other hand, Smash, when finding himself in the same situation, was much more likely to be condescending to the opinions of those he did not agree with. All the way to the point of name calling and generally insulting others.

I've been the recipient of some of those insults, both here, and in the old days at Indystar.

In total fairness, let me say that I have also stepped out of line before, and Mal let me know about it. I got the forum version of a warning ticket for that little episode.

I may not have agreed with my "warning ticket", but I understood his point of view, and appreciated the private way it was handled.

I have to think that Smash was given the same treatment as I was, and given ample opportunity to think about his words. My guess is his reaction to his "warning tickets" was different than mine, and that eventually got him banned.

We've also got to remember why this board was started. It was the utter lack of control exibited by the Indystar moderators that gave birth to Pacers Digest.

Anyway, I just wanted express my opinion in a more than a "first word that comes to my mind" format.

Thank you Tom. I appreciate the response.

Twes
04-19-2008, 02:32 PM
One thing I always liked about the board was when you posted a thread you'd hear from everybody. That's part of the reason I was disappointed it got moved to the back porch here.

Big Smooth
04-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Has Dancing Harry ever registered here?

Hicks
04-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Has Dancing Harry ever registered here?

I thought once upon a time someone registered that name here, but I could be mistaken and even if he did, I don't know if it was *that* Dancing Harry.

Twes
04-20-2008, 12:11 AM
I think I saw that he posted something on Star News recently. I hadn't seen that name for awhile.

PacerPete
05-01-2008, 12:43 PM
I've always considered that the #1 rule of boards like this should be --

Disagree without being disagreeable.

There are people who cannot or will not do that. There are also people who refuse to post because of it and others who just go silently away, never to return. Those people have weighed the benefit of somebody who COULD carry on a decent reasonable discussion with having to put up with that person's inhumanity to others and decide to go elsewhere.

Others have monstrously large Ignore lists.

The internet in many cases has evolved into a place to make a fist without the fear of being punched back.

grace
05-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Others have monstrously large Ignore lists.

Is 47 considered monstrously large?

I've also come to like the Ignore Thread feature.

Twes
05-01-2008, 04:46 PM

How does that work exactly?

Grace?

Grace?

:D

PacerPete
05-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Since you quoted me, I must not be on your list.......yet.
No, 47 is not large IMO, it depends on your personal tolerance for :bs:

Twes
05-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm sure it's them. All 47 of them.
:rolleyes:

SycamoreKen
05-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Da Smash must be one of the guys I decided to just not read anymore becouse his name brings back nothing. I didn't put him on ignore, I just ignored him.