PDA

View Full Version : Mini Earthquake ... in Indianapolis?

Pacersfan46
04-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Did anyone else notice that? Just now at about 5:40 AM ... my house shook kinda crazy like. It woke my roommate who wondered what the hell I was doing to cause it ... kinda freaked me out a little bit.

:hmm:

-- Steve --

Erik
04-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Woke me up too:mad: I've never felt one like that. I'm on the east side of Indy (21st & Post) they felt it downtown at the news studio, at what area did you feel it?

Pacersfan46
04-18-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm on the north side, and my ex g/f called me and she's all the way in Westfield.

-- Steve --

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 05:52 AM
All the way in Bedford, I felt it.

I was typing in the Counting Thread as this was happening. The monitor was shaking while I was typing.

Erik
04-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Did anyone notice that it was kind of a slower "rocking" instead of a "tremble"?

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 05:56 AM
More of a rumble down here. It was a little intense.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 05:58 AM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/at00851141.php

Pacersfan46
04-18-2008, 05:58 AM
5.4 on the richter scale .... and it started in southern Illinois!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/38.40.-89.-87.php

-- Steve --

Evan_The_Dude
04-18-2008, 05:59 AM
I felt rocking. I have to make fun of the Hoosiers that say they'd never move to California because of Earthquakes. I lived there most of my life and never felt an earthquake that intense. I felt it and yelled "BACK HOME AGAIN BABY"!!! Didn't scare me a bit though.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:02 AM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/shakemap/global/shake/2008qza6/download/intensity.jpg

aero
04-18-2008, 06:06 AM
im form California so as soon as it happened i KNEW what it was. This is crazy for Indianapolis....wow. Its been years since ive felt one.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:07 AM
There was one a couple of years ago. Not as major as this though.

Pacersfan46
04-18-2008, 06:08 AM
http://mistupid.com/geology/richter.htm

I don't know about you guys, but the highest level on that scale sounds cool as hell!

"Ground surface waves seen. Objects thrown into the air."

Ground surface waves? Stuff thrown? Sweet!

-- Steve --

Trader Joe
04-18-2008, 06:08 AM
I slept through it.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:09 AM
I slept through it.
Everyone except my brother got up.

Evan_The_Dude
04-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Lmao I just realized this forum was called Club Rio! I know I'm late. Carry on...

Evan_The_Dude
04-18-2008, 06:16 AM
What trips me out is the fact that it was felt across 3 states. Even in California it seemed that if you heard about an earthquake in SoCal, you didn't feel it in Central or NorCal.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Well, it wouldn't be hard, that area is close to Kentucky as well.

Eindar
04-18-2008, 06:18 AM
I was on the 3rd floor of the North Government Center. I was thinking it was either an earthquake or a terrorist attack, and either one seemed just as likely as the other.

I made some calls, obviously, and fortunately, it was the former. Posts as far north as Ft. Wayne called in to report it!

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:19 AM
I was on the 3rd floor of the North Government Center. I was thinking it was either an earthquake or a terrorist attack, and either one seemed just as likely as the other.

I made some calls, obviously, and fortunately, it was the former. Posts as far north as Ft. Wayne called in to report it!
:-o

MagicRat
04-18-2008, 06:20 AM
I would've slept through it but it woke my wife up, who in turn woke me up.......

aero
there are reports from chicago too that they felt it. man this is crazy. it just now hit CNN as Breaking News.

duke dynamite
They have these nutjobs on TV saying that they were driving and didn't feel anything. "Oh but my wife called and told me there wuz an earthquake."

If you didn't feel it then you dont count!

Evan_The_Dude
04-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Just wait for the aftershocks now lol

Naptown_Seth
04-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Our house is 3 story and it woke me up. I had some stuff knocked off shelves. We were just off the epi of a 6.5 in Mexico a few years back which was obviously much worse, but still...when you wake up to that and it's sustained and it's Indianapolis.

Freaked me out. Glad it was only a 5.4 way west of Evansville because I was not getting to safety in time if it was worse.

Even after it ended things were still shaking around the house for a few seconds.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Just wait for the aftershocks now lol
I've been waiting. If it's going to happen it will be rough.

Evan_The_Dude
04-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Damage reported near Louisville.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Good, no one likes Kentucky anyway.

The funny this is that my mom was discussing dropping our earthquake insurance two days ago.

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:35 AM
Wow, Channel 13 is showing that damage in Louisville now.

IU Seismologist Michael Hamburger reporting.

Pacersfan46
04-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Dr. Hamburger .... Haha!

-- Steve --

duke dynamite
04-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Alrighty, finally going to bed. Dr. Hamburger said there are aftershocks happening right now.

aero
04-18-2008, 06:49 AM
im sorry but i just cant take anything said from someone named Dr. Hamburger seriously lol

RWB
04-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Mrs. RWB's pugs were yelping like crazy and we thought they were wanting to be let out for their morning relief. Did this for a good 30 seconds BEFORE we felt the shake. Guess animals really can feel something about to happen.

Twes
04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
A co-worker was out jogging this morning and he said he came across dogs that were howling like he'd never heard.

My entire house shook. My first thought was tornado but i looked outside and saw calm. It happened so quickly you question whether it happened.

Freaky.

SoupIsGood
04-18-2008, 08:41 AM
It woke me up, and I couldn't figure out why the hell my room was moving all over the place. I figured it was either an earthquake, or someone in the dorms was partying really hard. And I wasn't too sure which I prefered, so I just went back to bed.

Major Cold
04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I am north of Ft Wayne and I did not feel anything. Just checking in though.

Hicks
04-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I woke up in New Castle to a steady rocking. I figured it was either an earthquake or something very large had fallen nearby. I felt something like that while on a vacation. We were at a place the held a large bell about 30 feet off the ground (the bell was about the size of a man), and while we were eating lunch it happened to fall and the whole place rocked in a similar fashion.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
It woke me up here in Lafayette, but I dismissed the rocking sensation as a result of a sleepy stupor. I went back to bed none the wiser.

PacerPete
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
What trips me out is the fact that it was felt across 3 states. Even in California it seemed that if you heard about an earthquake in SoCal, you didn't feel it in Central or NorCal.

Two reasons for this. The epicenter wasn't very far away from 2 other states. Plus from what I've seen on TV and read about the New Madrid, our bedrock is firmer or there's more of it, something about there being a more dense underground in our area than in CA and that's what transmits the shockwaves better. They say that's why a major earthquake in New Madrid will cause devastation far away.

idioteque
04-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Obviously didn't feel it where I am, but in one of the last years I lived in Indy (2001 or 2003 or something) there was one at around 10am one morning, which shook things off of the dresser in my old room and made my dog go crazy.

What is it with freaking EARTH QUAKES in Indiana? As if you guys weren't susceptible to enough bad weather out there.

Shade
04-18-2008, 10:47 AM
It woke me up too, and I live in Pendleton. Didn't realize it was an earthquake.

travmil
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
My wife was getting ready for work and our bathroom mirror and ceiling fan shook. My wife said our cats were going INSANE for about a minute before it hit but she just thought they wanted fed. If she hadn't have woke me up I'd have slept through it, but I could sleep through a train wreck with a tornado wrapped around it. After reading the CNN article, they got reports from Florida, Alabama, Kansas, and West Virginia immediately after the quake before the news had broke. The theory mentioned above about the crust being thicker here seems to be right on. The guy in the article said to think of our area as a giant bell. If one area of the bell gets struck the entire thing rings. I guess they don't have that kind of continuity with the bedrock in other places.

Hicks
04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Did anyone else just feel that? Hell, it's happening again as I type! Aftershocks! Fascinating.

Evan_The_Dude
04-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah Mal I felt that.

Unclebuck
04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
And the aftershock.

Spicoli
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Good I'm not going crazy.

Wel, I still could be, but not due to this.

Twes
04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Good I'm not going crazy.

I wouldn't go that far, but I

Just felt it too...

RWB
04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
So much for animals being on top of things. The Mrs. just called and said the dogs didn't bark once. Since they can't predict earthquakes it's time to kill them I guess.

clownskull
04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Did anyone else just feel that? Hell, it's happening again as I type! Aftershocks! Fascinating.
yup, i felt it too just a few minutes ago. finally something cool in the natural events catagory happening around here. never noticed anything like it before.

Pig Nash
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I slept through it, I'm in Noblesville.

Unclebuck
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I feel sea sick

Hicks
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I feel sea sick

I felt wobbly walking around the house for a few minutes after it happened.

Vince Neil
04-18-2008, 11:35 AM

We felt it here in Warsaw too.

FireTheCoach
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I was in Monticello, In. fishing at Lake Shafer when it hit.

I was sitting in a lawn chair about half asleep next to my campfire when all the sudden the chair I was sitting in started jumping all around while I was sitting in it... I was like huhh, wtf was that??? My first thought was that it must be a racoon or an opposum under my chair, so I jumped up and picked the chair up sure that I would see some kinda small animal but there was nothing.... I then started looking all over the ground to see if one of the chair legs fell into a hole that I hadn't seen but that proved false again...

so I just decided that I must have been more asleep than I realized and maybe I like almost fell out of the chair just cause I was asleep.

About 5 minutes later my wife called and said.... "Did you feel that!! they are saying on the news that we just had an earthquake." I said, "Damn, I knew something happened but I thought it was racoons trying to get into my cooler again...lol." yeah, god bless us country boys, we're so blissfully ignorant.

Twes
04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
So much for animals being on top of things. The Mrs. just called and said the dogs didn't bark once. Since they can't predict earthquakes it's time to kill them I guess.

Maybe they were pointing.

:D

Suaveness
04-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I woke up and thought it might be an earthquake, but I was like nah, we dont get those.

Felt the aftershock too. Woo!

My birds went nutso in the morning, they felt it.

James Bond
04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
My dog slept through it lol.

But I woke up for about 5 seconds, the thought went through my head that the shaking was most likely an earthquake or aftershock, then i thought to myself, I hope i don't die, then went back to sleep.

It was a pretty intelligent thought for only being awake for about 5 seconds.

Naptown_Seth
04-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, felt that after about 20 minutes ago, windows at work rattled a bit. 4.5 listed, biggest after they've had on this one and about as big as the original quake from I think 2003 that we could feel.

For some reason earthquakes give me a great sense of loss of control than other bad weather.

The Toxic Avenger
04-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Slept Right through it in Crawfordsville.

:unimpress

SoupIsGood
04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm at Butler and I didn't feel the aftershocks. Were they really subtle? :/

Sollozzo
04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought we couldn't discuss news here?

travmil
04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
The richter scale moves up by an order of 10. That means that a 5.0 is ten times more powerful than a 4.0, and 100 times more powerful than a 3.0. That means that the San Fransisco quake in '89 was 100 times more powerful than what we felt this morning. If this fault ever let loose a quake like that the devastation would be enormous and widespread, and it's not exactly unprecedented. Granted it was a long time ago but over a 2 month period in 1811 crossing into 1812, quakes above 7.0 including a 7.9 (nearly 1000 times more powerful than today) were centered in this fault. The quakes rang church bells in Boston. Unbelieveable.

And I'm just going off of the information that's out there. I have no idea how they measured a quakes strength back then.

Hicks
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I thought we couldn't discuss news here?

Did you honestly believe we wouldn't make exceptions when it's blatantly obvious the topic won't lead to the problems we had with that board? (Rhetorical question)

I'm not taking down "ABADays in Iraq" either, nor would I deny a thread like VF21's or Hardrive7's.

PacerPete
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM
it's not exactly unprecedented. Granted it was a long time ago but over a 2 month period in 1811 crossing into 1812, quakes above 7.0 including a 7.9 (nearly 1000 times more powerful than today) were centered in this fault. The quakes rang church bells in Boston. Unbelieveable.

And I'm just going off of the information that's out there. I have no idea how they measured a quakes strength back then.

Jay Feldman, When the Mississippi Ran Backwards

Some people had a smokehouse out back. After the earthquake it was on the other side of the river.

grace
04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
So much for animals being on top of things. The Mrs. just called and said the dogs didn't bark once.

The probably figured you didn't pay attention the first time so why should they bother.

Los Angeles
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
We get plenty here, but 5's are rare.

I don't get sea sick when they happen, but I do get that kind of sensitivity, where I'm acutely aware of every little sound and vibration.

It's spooky. The one thing you know and take for granted is the ground you walk on.

There was a huge earthquake in LA in 94 that wrecked huge portions of the city. The mountain ranges are solid rock, and vibrations are dampened by them easily.

By contrast, the midwest has a continuous layer of soft earth that acts kind of like a soft blanket. if you lift one end of the soft blanket, the energy ripples outward for quite a distance.

This map shows the idea, there are two earthquakes of equal magnitude, but the LA quake is "contained" by the stone mountains. The lack of geological dampeners give the New Madrid Fault quakes a very big reach.

http://whyfiles.org/094quake/images/new_madrid.gif

Twes
04-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Maybe they were pointing.

For those that might need some visual support

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/3/8/Thomas-Blinks-Pointers--Restrike-Etching--38093.jpg

Ownagedood
04-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Lol, I slept through it too..

I also didn't feel any of the aftershocks.. I was up, but still didn't feel it.

Sollozzo
04-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Did you honestly believe we wouldn't make exceptions when it's blatantly obvious the topic won't lead to the problems we had with that board? (Rhetorical question)

I'm not taking down "ABADays in Iraq" either, nor would I deny a thread like VF21's or Hardrive7's.

Hicks, I was merely just inquiring. The top of the board says "not a news/politics/religion board", and I was under the impression that an earthquake was news. But your response cleared it up for me, thanks.

Hicks
04-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Hicks, I was merely just inquiring. The top of the board says "not a news/politics/religion board", and I was under the impression that an earthquake was news. But your response cleared it up for me, thanks.

My apologies.

Twes
04-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I always thought the concept of earthquake insurance was a joke in Indiana.

I'm starting to understand a little.

Trader Joe
04-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I didn't notice the aftershock either. I was in class on the third floor of Ballantine and we didn't feel a thing.

N8R
04-19-2008, 05:59 AM
I didn't feel anything up in Canada. Surprise Surprise

Top 10 in Canada

http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/historic_eq/top10_e.php

Kraft
04-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Hell, I was in Central Illinois and still barely woke up. I figured the apartment complex was doing some construction. Yeah, at 5 in the morning, sure. Sometimes, it's a gift to be a heavy sleeper.

duke dynamite
04-21-2008, 01:57 AM
We just had another one. We felt it here in Bedford...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2008rcar.php

SoupIsGood
04-21-2008, 02:47 AM
Didn't feel it here...

Hicks
04-21-2008, 10:34 AM
I didn't feel this one either.

indygeezer
04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I was driving in Bloomington this AM. While sitting on a bridge at a stop light (rd 48 I think) my car started rocking back and forth. At first I though my engine was missing out real bad then I realized that I could see both mine and the cars around me rocking. I don't like being on a bridge during an earthquake.

(funtimes....hey Spicoli....better get packing)

Spicoli
04-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I was driving in Bloomington this AM. While sitting on a bridge at a stop light (rd 48 I think) my car started rocking back and forth. At first I though my engine was missing out real bad then I realized that I could see both mine and the cars around me rocking. I don't like being on a bridge during an earthquake.

Working on it! (Did I ever mention you are damn good)

I didn't feel this quake at all, my dog even slept right through it.

Twes
04-21-2008, 01:49 PM
You guys are like blood brothers now.

Twes
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
What's with all of these earthquakes man.

duke dynamite
04-21-2008, 02:19 PM

The bridges in Bloomington, especially the ones right over 37 (3rd street) (bloomfield rd.) all sway. I always freak out even though I know that it is just the bridge.

indygeezer
04-22-2008, 09:31 AM
The bridges in Bloomington, especially the ones right over 37 (3rd street) (bloomfield rd.) all sway. I always freak out even though I know that it is just the bridge.

There's a strip mall on the west side of 37 with a Lowe's in it, I was on the bridge just south of the mall going over 37. It was rockin' and rolling pretty good.

Putnam
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
There's a strip mall on the west side of 37 with a Lowe's in it, I was on the bridge just south of the mall going over 37. It was rockin' and rolling pretty good.

Have you seen the video of the bridge in Tacoma that collapsed back in the '40s?

HxTZ446tbzE

Spicoli
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM

Yep the swaying on that bridge is very noticeable when you are stopped at that light. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...

Hicks
04-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I could have sworn I felt some very light tremors at about 5:30 this morning. Also later in the morning, though I didn't note the time.

Los Angeles
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Have you seen the video of the bridge in Tacoma that collapsed back in the '40s?

HxTZ446tbzE

That was from ****-poor design that didn't account for wind catching on the walls.

indygeezer
04-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Yes, I had seen that....:o.....and yes, I thought of it at the time.....:o....and of the San Fran bridge collapse. Sure glad we don't have quakes of that magnatude around here. (crossing fingers)

BillS
04-23-2008, 09:56 AM
That was from ****-poor design that didn't account for wind catching on the walls.

Actually, it was from a poor design that allowed a standing wave to be set up without damping down. You want a structure to flex but you don't want it to start reinforcing any single frequency.

Twes
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Actually, it was from a poor design that allowed a standing wave to be set up without damping down. You want a structure to flex but you don't want it to start reinforcing any single frequency.

What does "reinforcing any single frequency" mean Bill?

avoidingtheclowns
05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
sorry in advance if this is too newsy Admins... but since this was on here...

obviously the earthquake in china is dominating news right now. several producers and two hosts of NPR's All Things Considered were actually in chengdu, china for a weeklong broadcast but are now reporting from the scene of the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck today. ATC host Melissa Block was in the middle of recording an interview when the quake hit. she then fled the building and reported on the scene in the city's streets.

if you're interested in listening you can hear the earthquake hit clicking the link below:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90366623

Major Cold
05-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Unjulating? Wow.

People went nuts!!!