PDA

View Full Version : Magic Now Open To Trading J.J. Redick

granger33
04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
The Magic appear to be more open to trading guard J.J. Redick now, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

GM Otis Smith refused to trade the former Duke star before the season and at this year's trade deadline.

However, Smith is now open to dealing Redick around this June's draft - but he hasn't ruled out keeping all the team's free agents and players.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52018/20080417/magic_now_open_to_trading_jj_redick/

I think he'd be a great addition to the Pacers. He reminds me of Diener...but better!

Any thoughts?

Im thinkin Larry might go 4 him...would be a good inclusion if Rush goes.

Shade
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Nope. He has back issues. Always bad news, especially for a shooter.

And we've already filled our Dookie quota. ;)

mrknowname
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
we need perimeter defenders more than shooters

JayRedd
Shocking.

QuickRelease
Nope. He has back issues. Always bad news, especially for a shooter.

And we've already filled our Dookie quota. ;)

I'd love to have Reddick. Did he and Dun ever play together, or was Dun gone before JJ got there?

granger33
we need perimeter defenders more than shooters
Who do you suggest then?

Apart from Artest because obviously we aren't gonna get him back.

Shade
04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Who do you suggest then?

See my avatar. :nod:

mrknowname
04-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Who do you suggest then?

westbrook

Vince Neil
04-17-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52018/20080417/magic_now_open_to_trading_jj_redick/

Any thoughts?

Um.....No.

Brian
04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Pfffffff....no way.....ever.

rexnom
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I'd trade a second round pick for him

Naptown_Seth
04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Shocking.
Pacers now open to trading Ike Diogu.

When will this insanity end? What's next, Vince Carter on the block?!?

Weaver as a late 1st/early 2nd makes more sense than trading that pick to get Reddick. Defender issue solved, better than Orien since he can actually handle the rock.

esabyrn333
04-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Ike for JJ????

Whats wrong with his back? I really don't know much about him since he has been in the NBA. But if he is not happy with playing time there I just don't see him getting much here. He is a shooting guard not a PG right? I don't think he would do much for this team. We need to go after Hinreach from chicago or Kyle Lowery in Memphis.

Anthem
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Gag. No way no how do we trade for Redick.

And his only similarity to Diener is that he's white. Please don't start the "like Diener" stuff.

Speed
04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I think he would be sucessful here just due to Obies style, but isn't he one dimensional. I don't think he addresses one need for the Pacers, at all. And I agree, Deiner and him are completely different.

Anthem
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I think he would be sucessful here just due to Obies style
The moment JJ stepped onto the Conseco court, his spine would split in three places.

No injury-prone players, please. Hard to be successful in Obie's system when you're in a full-body cast.

count55
04-17-2008, 12:56 PM
The moment JJ stepped onto the Conseco court, his spine would split in three places.

No injury-prone players, please. Hard to be successful in Obie's system when you're in a full-body cast.

Well, we can't be sure until we try.

esabyrn333
04-17-2008, 12:58 PM
The guy is still on his rookie contract right. So he is not high risk IMO. I just don't think we really need him.

Doug
04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, IMO, the list of the types of players we need goes like:

Perimeter defender that can stop dribble penetration.

[very big gap]

Big man that can defend power players.

Nowhere on my list do I find "Slow, injured, defensive liability that can shoot the ball".

OnlyPacersLeft
04-17-2008, 01:26 PM
lol another shooter who can't defend? Yeah that's what we need. JJ trys on defense but it's just not good enough. He'd be good off the bench though. He's trying to free up some $$$ since the magic owe rashard lewis a fortune.

CableKC
04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Who do you suggest then?

If we had the Salarycap space....I wouldn't mind pursuing Chris Duhon, Quinton Ross or Ira Newble as FA. They are decent perimeter defenders. None are lockdown perimeter defenders....but they are better then what we have now.

I would also hope that Bird will try to talk to the Sonics to try to acquire Adrian Griffin or give McHale a call to try to get Greg Buckner.

CableKC
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Weaver as a late 1st/early 2nd makes more sense than trading that pick to get Reddick. Defender issue solved, better than Orien since he can actually handle the rock.
That move would only make too much sense for TPTB to actually make.....besides......we all know that the Pistons will draft Weaver. For some reason, they have this crazy notion that drafting players with solid defensive skills is a good thing :banghead:

Doddage
04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd do a 2nd for JJ Suckdick too, but then again you can probably find someone more useful there

Young
04-17-2008, 04:04 PM
No to JJ.

As someone already said we need some perminter defense.

Greg Buckner is high on my list. I'd love to have him on the Pacers. I think he could bring a lot of positives to this team. He wouldn't start or win us a championship but if you are talking about bench players to add GB is at the top of my list. He doesn't play in Minny, they are going young.

Others who come to mind are Trenton Hassell, James Jones, Adrian Griffin, Mickael Pietrus, Quinton Ross, and Ira Newble.

I think that any of these guys would make a better addition then JJ Reddick. JMO though.

CableKC
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
No to JJ.

As someone already said we need some perminter defense.

Greg Buckner is high on my list. I'd love to have him on the Pacers. I think he could bring a lot of positives to this team. He wouldn't start or win us a championship but if you are talking about bench players to add GB is at the top of my list. He doesn't play in Minny, they are going young.

Others who come to mind are Trenton Hassell, James Jones, Adrian Griffin, Mickael Pietrus, Quinton Ross, and Ira Newble.

I think that any of these guys would make a better addition then JJ Reddick. JMO though.
Is James Jones a solid perimeter defender?

As for Trenton Hassell...maybe....but after reading that the TWolves wanting to move him a long time ago ( for whatever reason ), it raises some "red flags" for me. As for Pietrus.....he doesn't have the Basketball IQ to be effective on this team.

As for everyone else, I agree with you. I really hope that Bird gives McHale a call ( assuming that he is still there in the offseason ) and tries to get Buckner. With their youth movment and the sheer # of young players that they have to give minutes to ( especially at the SG/SF rotation ), I don't see where Buckner fits in.

Evan_The_Dude
04-17-2008, 06:52 PM
If we're going to take a risk on a player with an injury issue, I'd want it to be Shaun Livingston (depending on his status). He could be had on the super super cheap right about now, and I think he's even a free agent this year.

Doddage
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
If we're going to take a risk on a player with an injury issue, I'd want it to be Shaun Livingston (depending on his status). He could be had on the super super cheap right about now, and I think he's even a free agent this year.
How do you figure?

Evan_The_Dude
04-17-2008, 07:04 PM
How do you figure?

Injury prone.

Doddage
04-17-2008, 08:34 PM
I doubt that the Clippers' front office has given up on him though, seeing as he's still young and has a lot of potential. Maybe if his injury issues persist, I could see that as being true, but until then, I wouldn't say that he could be gotten for cheap.

QuickRelease
04-17-2008, 09:14 PM
See my avatar. :nod:

I don't think Luigi Chalmers will do much as a pro (aside from being a Pacer-killer on another team). But, you never know. Is he coming out this year?

QuickRelease
04-17-2008, 09:17 PM
I think he would be sucessful here just due to Obies style, but isn't he one dimensional. I don't think he addresses one need for the Pacers, at all. And I agree, Deiner and him are completely different.

I don't think you can ever have too many shooters. He'd make a nice backup shooting guard.

Anthem
04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
He'd make a nice backup shooting guard.
Dude played 30 games this year. Pass.

Taterhead
04-18-2008, 01:02 AM
When are people going to figure out that your guards have got to defend if you want any chance at success in this league?

No thanks to JJ, VC, or Marcus Williams.

JayRedd
04-18-2008, 04:12 PM
When are people going to figure out that your guards have got to defend if you want any chance at success in this league?

Yeah.

I mean, look at Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Jason Terry and JWill.

PaceBalls
04-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I'd do a 2nd for JJ Suckdick too, but then again you can probably find someone more useful there

why would you call him that? that's a bit over the top dude

PaceBalls
04-18-2008, 04:43 PM
As much as I like JJ, as many have already said, we need a defensive minded SG. We have the wings pretty much covered with Danny and MDJr. Though I could see adding JJ to our roster if we traded MDJr. this off season.

Taterhead
04-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah.

I mean, look at Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Jason Terry and JWill.

I never said you can't have a guard that doesn't defend well, I said you can't have guardS that don't defend.

Besides, JWill had Shaq to cover for him. San Antonio is the best defensive TEAM in the league over the last 5-6 years. The horrid defense of Nash is exactly why Pheonix hasn't won a title so far. And Jason Terry isn't even a bad defender, he is actually pretty good.

Are you saying we would do well with Tinsley, Diener, Dunleavy and Reddick as our guards? Please!

What has Reddick ever shown even in the limted number of games he has played to make anyone think he is worth giving up anything?

JayRedd
04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I never said you can't have a guard that doesn't defend well, I said you can't have guardS that don't defend.

Besides, JWill had Shaq to cover for him. San Antonio is the best defensive TEAM in the league over the last 5-6 years. The horrid defense of Nash is exactly why Pheonix hasn't won a title so far. And Jason Terry isn't even a bad defender, he is actually pretty good.

Are you saying we would do well with Tinsley, Diener, Dunleavy and Reddick as our guards? Please!

What has Reddick ever shown even in the limted number of games he has played to make anyone think he is worth giving up anything?

I have zero interest in JJ. I'll be shocked if he ever has a 1500 minute season. He's poor.

Just pointing out that you don't need both your guards to be good defenders to be a successful NBA team as that's how I read your post to imply.

Also...not that this is really relevant, but I disagree on Terry. And I don't think Nash's poor D is the reason the Suns haven't gotten over the hump; their defensive problems have always come from the interior, IMO. And as good as the Spurs have been as far as PPG and FG% against over the years, neither Tony nor Manu have helped out much.