PDA

View Full Version : I like these comments made by Bird and Herb Simon.

Will Galen
04-17-2008, 03:30 AM
I really like these comments by Bird and Herb Simon. Especially Bird's comments in the last paragraph.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080417/SPORTS04/804170485/1088/SPORTS04

Team's co-owner takes over as CEO, will consult with Bird on basketball decisions
By Mike Wells
Posted: April 17, 2008

Simon, 73, sticking to his word that he would make managerial changes to fix a franchise that has fallen on hard times, announced Wednesday he will become chairman and chief executive officer of Pacers Sports and Entertainment and consult with Larry Bird on basketball decisions.

Simon also announced former Indianapolis civic leader Jim Morris will become president of Pacers Sports and Entertainment and oversee the business operations of Conseco Fieldhouse, the Pacers and Fever.

Bird remains Pacers president of basketball operations, but Simon said he will be involved in the "major basketball decisions," such as whom the Pacers draft, trade or sign.

"The franchise has gone through many good years, but the last few years we've been at a crossing point and it's important for me to have a viable franchise in this city," said Simon, who owns the Pacers with his brother Mel. "The city has been real good to me, my family, brother that we don't ever want to disappoint this city and the people, the fans. With (former CEO) Donnie (Walsh) leaving, it would be an appropriate time."

Simon's increased role is surprising considering he preferred to stay behind the scenes and leave Walsh in charge of the day-to-day operations. Walsh became president of basketball operations for the New York Knicks on April 2.

Simon told The Star last month that he planned to address "everything but the owner right now." Simon said he will travel between Indianapolis and his home in Southern California.

"Before, I was a 'hands-on, hands-off' owner. And now I'm going to be a 'hands-on, hands-on' owner," Simon said.

"I'll be participating with the two gentlemen (Bird and Morris) to re-look at the franchise from top to bottom. To make us more responsive basketball-wise. More responsive to our fans and our sponsors. I'm getting energized myself over this."

The Pacers, who ended their season Wednesday, missed the playoffs for consecutive years for the first time in nearly 20 years and finished last in the league in attendance.

Fixing their situation won't happen overnight. The Pacers have an early first-round pick in June's draft but lack salary cap space to sign a prominent free agent, and Bird has had trouble finding a suitable trade for Jermaine O'Neal.

"It's tough, I understand the situation," Bird said. "My job here is very clear, to try and get this franchise back to winning. But I know what's going to happen before we get there.

"The first thing I want to do is really take a look at the things that have happened in the past off the court and address them. Then get into the team and really get after it through the draft and this summer. We have to change some players on this team because a lot of things have happened."

Jose Slaughter
04-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Larry is staring to sound like Charlie Brown's school teacher.

Anthem
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Holy cow, Bird's now a consultant? Talk about a vote of no confidence.

Regardless, I get even less excited by Larry's words than Donnie's. Larry has talked big and delivered small since he got here.

rexnom
04-17-2008, 10:53 AM
What does Herb Simon know about basketball? I don't mean to be a smartass or a douche...I'm genuinely asking. It seems that Bird won't have the final say on anything.

avoidingtheclowns
04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
What does Herb Simon know about basketball? I don't mean to be a smartass or a douche...I'm genuinely asking. It seems that Bird won't have the final say on anything.

aceace said this in the other thread about herb simon...

IMHO: Herb took control to not only be more involved but also to save a lot of money. This reduces operating costs. Probably anywhere from 3-5 million a year (or whatever DW was making) and with the crowds I'm sure theres been some red ink lately.

this tends to make the most sense to be because lets face it: everything donnie did or larry will do would have to have ultimate approval by the owners. i really don't see this as being any different.

aero
04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
it starts from the top, this summer will be the time to clean house. I see maybe 3 or 4 roster moves like Harrison, Tinsley but if they really want to shake things up we'd move O'Neal. It will be interesting this summer for sure.

grace
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM

He's owned the team for over 20 years. I'd like to think he knows something. As for Bird having a say I don't like pretty much everything he's done since he got the job so the less decisions he makes the better.

CableKC
04-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Who is this Jim Morris guy?

Does he actually know something about Basketball?

or

Is he some Paper-pusher?

I forget....there is a guy in the Pacers FO that most of you mention that should be taking over as CEO cuz he does alot of that Basketball Operations stuff anyways....I forget his name...is that the same guy as this Jim Morris guy?

Since86
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I think you're talking about Morway, who was created for getting the TE from NO in the Peja deal, along with some other pretty good moves.

Tom White
04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Who is this Jim Morris guy?

Does he actually know something about Basketball?

or

Is he some Paper-pusher?

I forget....there is a guy in the Pacers FO that most of you mention that should be taking over as CEO cuz he does alot of that Basketball Operations stuff anyways....I forget his name...is that the same guy as this Jim Morris guy?

I'll repeat what others have already said.

Morris is NOT involved with the team in terms of contracts, trades, drafts, anything to do with player selection.

That is not his function with PS&E.

Young
04-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Maybe with Simon there now we will see changes.

But every year, hell about every week, we hear about how this franchise is going to make the changes needed. Blah blah. I'd like to think we will but it just hasn't happened.

I won't try to get rich betting we make big moves this summer.

DgR
04-17-2008, 05:50 PM
the main point is to make smart moves- not big moves. and if there are no smart moves available, than we shouldn't make any.

i wouldn't throw JO away for garbage. tinsley on the other hand i would. right now JO is pretty untradable anyway- his salary next year is monsterous.

CableKC
04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
I think you're talking about Morway, who was created for getting the TE from NO in the Peja deal, along with some other pretty good moves.
Morway...that's the guy. He sounds like he's a solid FO Basketball type of guy. I hope he has a bigger role in the FO now that DW is gone.

skyfire
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Wasn't the last publicized instance of the owners overruling DW and LB when they decided against trading Artest before the brawl?

NapTonius Monk
04-17-2008, 09:44 PM

I wondered the same thing. How strong of a basketball mind is Simon? I'd hate to see us turn into the Bucks or Clippers in the front office.