PDA

View Full Version : Herb Simon to be Chairman/CEO of Pacers

Unclebuck
04-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Just received an e-mail from the Pacers.

Pacers Sports & Entertainment announced Wednesday that Herbert Simon, co-owner of the Pacers with his brother Melvin for the past 25 years, will serve as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pacers Sports & Entertainment (PS&E) effective immediately.

"I am committed to returning this team to its proud winning tradition as well as strengthening the connection of the entire organization to the community," said Simon. "Indianapolis and Indiana are vitally important to the Simon family and I realize how important the Pacers are to the city and state. I'm passionate to do whatever I can to enhance the franchise on the court and in the community."

As previously announced, Larry Bird is the President of Basketball Operations for the Indiana Pacers. It was announced on Wednesday that Jim Morris will assume the role of President of PS&E. Morris will oversee the business operations for the Pacers, Indiana Fever and Conseco Fieldhouse.

"I'll rely on these two strong leaders on a day-to-day basis," Simon said, adding that both will report directly to him.

Additionally, Rick Fuson has been elevated to Chief Operating Officer of PS&E. "We have a strong management team in place, and we look forward to the future," concluded Simon

Speed
04-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Whats this mean?

Is Fuson the guy who used to work for the Star?

I must have missed this too, who is Jim Morris?

Maybe it means the buck stop here, with Herb.

Unclebuck
04-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Whats this mean?

Is Fuson the guy who used to work for the Star?

Maybe it means the buck stop here, with Herb.

No Fuson isn't the guy who worked for the Star - that was Wayne Fuson. Rick Fuson I think has been in charge of security for several seasons - I think

I think it means Herb Simon is taking a more hands on approach

Rajah Brown
04-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Press con on 1070TheFan going on right now. Some dude names Miller
(no, nor Reg) is the new community PR liason or similar.

Shade
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM
So, then, Herb is taking over Donnie's old position?

Unclebuck
04-16-2008, 02:18 PM
So, then, Herb is taking over Donnie's old position?

Yes. Sounds like they will be trying everything to change the image of the franchise

Rajah Brown
04-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Some media nitwit asked LB about J.O. and got the stock response.
He then asked Herb who responded, ' if J.O. is healthy, he'll be a
BIG part of this team'.

I hope he was just deflecting the question with a superficially
upbeat, rhetorical reply.

Speed
04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
BIG part of this team'.

Everyone in the franchise needs to say that or you gonna get Darius Miles for JO straight up calls, if it sounds like a fire sale. It's really the only response they need to give. I'm glad Bird didn't say more to weaken his already bad position at the trade table.

Rajah Brown
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Speed-

Understood. Just don't want Herb anywhere near the player
personnel, decision-making process. Presumably, he knows
better than the start 'Jerry Jones-ing' things up in that
area.

Unclebuck
04-16-2008, 03:10 PM

He's on AM 1070 right now

His primary function will be to reconnect the fans to the Pacers team. "We've been embrassed by a few incidents and will rid the team of those type things" "Players will know what the standards are". "If there is a choice between character or talent, we'll take character"

Does seem like a new direction

McKeyFan
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

His primary function will be to reconnect the fans to the Pacers team. "We've been embrassed by a few incidents and will rid the team of those type things" "Players will know what the standards are". "If there is a choice between character or talent, we'll take character"

Words, words.

I'm looking forward to seeing some action behind them.

Unclebuck
04-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Words, words.

I'm looking forward to seeing some action behind them.

Yes, but no one has ever put it so bluntly before

DisplacedKnick
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Uh-oh. Surely Herb won't be THAT bad but whenever I see an owner taking a hands-on approach I think of the one, the only, Mr James Dolan.

Rajah Brown
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Herb is on AM-1070 w/ White and Kravitz at 4:00.

Unclebuck
04-16-2008, 03:54 PM
This says that Morris is taking over Donnie's position.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080416/SPORTS04/80416049/1088&template=printart

Jim Morris to succeed Walsh with Pacers

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Longtime Indianapolis civic leader Jim Morris, who joined the Indiana Pacers last spring as a special advisor, was named president of the team today as part of a sweeping management overhaul.

Morris succeeds the departed Donnie Walsh as head of Pacers Sports & Entertainment. The team also said that co-owner Herbert Simon will serve as the chairman and chief executive officer. Larry Bird remains as president of basketball operations.

"Before, I was a 'hands-on, hands- off' owner. And now I'm going to be a 'hands-on. hands-on' owner," Simon, who has owned the Pacers with his brother Melvin for the past 25 years, told reporters at a Conseco Fieldhouse news conference.

"I'll be participating with the two gentlemen (Bird and Morris) to relook at the franchise from top to bottom. To make us more responsive basketball-wise. More responsive to our fans and our sponsors. I'm getting energized myself over this."

Morris most recently was head of the World Food Program for five years, and has also run the Indianapolis Water Co. and Lilly Endowment, among the state’s largest foundations.

The management makeover follows disappointments both on and off the court – notably, the string of player escapades at local nightclubs that have included fights and gunplay.

Morris, in an article by Star columnist John Ketzenberger early last June, said he wanted to “help the community understand the importance of the Pacers to the city and the state.”

The former aide to Mayor Dick Lugar and season ticket-holder is a friend of the Simons who has worked with them in other civic causes, including Gleaners Food Bank, Riley Hospital for Children and the Boy Scouts.

"This is a great opportunity to do something that's fun and interesting," Morris said at the time. "It gives me freedom to be creative."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom White
04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
BIG part of this team'.

What I heard was Bird ramble something about talking to JO after the season to get his feelings, and (almost a quote here) Probably talk to some teams this summer to see if they are interested in him (end almost a quote).

It was not the smoothest answer you've ever heard.

At that point Herb made a comment about since he (Herb) is now a basketball guy, he'd like to answer the question. That is when Herb made the comment Rajah is reporting.

I got a bit of a chuckle out the the obvious different approaches Herb Simon and Bird have.

Tom White
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM

He had a great line on 1070 - We aren't gonna have any Bums here.

I agree with Karvitz and Eddie that that quote should be the billboard slogan for next year!

Kegboy
04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
How long before people start blaming problems on these guys instead of Larry.

Tom White
04-16-2008, 04:25 PM

Well, Morris won't have anything to do with trades, drafts, contracts etc. so he should not get any grief. Some have already blamed ownership, so that won't be anything new.

Wait, I know, we can blame Morway!

PaceBalls
04-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Probably the first week of pre season... no Bird will still get the blame no matter what. But, just think, in 8 years, when we finally make the playoffs again, these new guys (instead of Bird) will be credited for a great turn around and rebuilding process that was built on character guys not talented guys.

Ok reality check, the comment about whether a choice between character guys and talent they will choose character... That spells doom to me, and means we are gonna suck for a long time. It would be nice, but I really wonder if ANY professional basketball players could live up to community standards if all the dirt on them was aired out for the judgemental public to criticize.

On the other hand, maybe this means that I could finally make the team ;) I have a clean record, and I even go to church on easter sunday once every few years...

Ownagedood
04-16-2008, 04:38 PM
"If there is a choice between character or talent, we'll take character"

Aw, sweet!! I'm gonna be a Pacer next year!! :dance:

Lol, so, ya.. I don't think we are gonna be very good.. Ya, there are plenty of non trouble making ballers out there.. But it sounds like they are gonna grab all the no name good guys instead of taking talented guys.

grace
04-16-2008, 04:42 PM

I don't think I need to answer that question do I?

idioteque
04-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Aw, sweet!! I'm gonna be a Pacer next year!! :dance:

Lol, so, ya.. I don't think we are gonna be very good.. Ya, there are plenty of non trouble making ballers out there.. But it sounds like they are gonna grab all the no name good guys instead of taking talented guys.

You can build a team with character. Look at San Antonio, or more recently, the resurgence of Toronto and Portland.

Anthem
04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm a little confused, to be honest.

Wasn't the whole point of Donnie leaving that the management structure didn't work, and that we wanted to avoid the two-headed dragon? That Bird needed to be the sole voice?

This whole thing worries me.

MyFavMartin
04-16-2008, 04:50 PM
this is just a pr move to drum up support from those who can afford expensive/season tickets (aka big business).

Larry is still the guy in charge of talent acquisition and the coaches and scouts. these two guys will try to keep tickets selling and will, of course, help direct the expungination of negative ticket sale impacters.

this is all very technical business jargon. :D

rexnom
04-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Let's be honest. Nobody has any idea what the **** they are doing. Our franchise is a little FUBAR right now. Thank God for Danny Granger.

PacerGuy
04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm a little confused, to be honest.

Wasn't the whole point of Donnie leaving that the management structure didn't work, and that we wanted to avoid the two-headed dragon? That Bird needed to be the sole voice?

This whole thing worries me.

If they stay to their word:
Herb = Customer/ Ticket Holder/ Fan Service & Image
Larry = Players/ Contracts/ Draft/ Trades
Jim = Conseco Fieldhouse Operations

NuffSaid
04-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm listening to 1070, the Fan, and basically here's how the new hirings break down:

Herb Simon - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pacers Sports & Entertainment (PS&E). The "voice of the Pacers franchise". The final decision maker. If it has to do with policy, he makes it! If it has to do with the budget, it gets his final yes or no vote. Herb is the big cheese now when it comes to ALL things Pacers.

Jim Morris - President, PS&E (to include the Pacers, Fever and the Fieldhouse). Will run everything NOT basketball related, i.e., marketing, finding sponsors, advertising campaigns, etc. Basically, this is the guy who will make sure the franchise maintains a strong image within the community-at-large.

Rick Fuson - Chief Operating Officer, PS&E. He's the "mover and shaker" within the organization upper office. You want basketballs? This guy gets them. You want to ensure an advertising campaign gets off on the right foot? See Rick Fuson.

Larry Bird - President of Basketball Operations, Indiana Pacers. In charge of scouting teams, contract negotiations, drafting players, enforcing team policies, you name it, he does it as it relates to EVERYTHING BASKETBALL w/the Pacers.

So, Bird IS the man as far as what players come and go with the team, Jim is the "face" out in the community, Herb is the "voice" behind the overall decision making and Rick is the guy who orchestrates the "worker-bees" who do all the dirty work that makes it all come together.

Now, at first I wondered like most fans why would Herb make himself the CEO and go out and hire two people who have never had any basketball managerial experience whatsoever? The answer is simple: sometimes you need people who are outside of familiar circles who can think outside the box and tell those who have been very close to the product what they'r doing wrong or that what they've been doing is no longer working. We've read reports of how "basketball" GMs, i.e., Zeke and Kevin McKale and a few others, haven't faired very well. Now, PS&E will have non-basketball folks who should be able to bring a fresh perspective on things and run the business entities like a business should be run. IMO, Herb was smart to keep the business side separate from the basketball side and to bring in people with experience in shoring up image problems with major companies.

carpediem024
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I think he'll do something good. Pull off something that will get us back in the Playoffs. I don't know about being successful in it yet.

aceace
04-16-2008, 06:13 PM
IMHO: Herb took control to not only be more involved but also to save a lot of money. This reduces operating costs. Probably anywhere from 3-5 million a year (or whatever DW was making) and with the crowds I'm sure theres been some red ink lately.

NuffSaid
04-16-2008, 06:17 PM
BIG part of this team'.

Just listened to the press conference. When asked about JO's future w/the team, Bird basically said he'll work the phones and if another team showed interest in JO, he'd consider making the trade. But then Herb stepped up and said, "If JO comes back in better game shape and he's able to do the things he's done for the team in the past, he'll be a BIG part of the team in the future."

In other words, Herb wants JO here while Bird is very willing to let him go. My take: If Herb wants him he'll stay!

'Nuff Said.

Oneal07
04-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Jermaine is definitely gonna be healthy, his career depends on it. If he does get traded, we better get a whole lotta good **** in return

Kegboy
04-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Jermaine is definitely gonna be healthy, his career depends on it.

:eyebrow2:

Tell that to Darius Miles.

Naptown_Seth
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM

Tinsley is done I'd say. Unless they are hiring a private eye to stick to him 24/7.

I don't think I need to answer that question do I?
Not if your answer was going to be "grandfathered in as already the problem 3 months ago, not Bird's fault". ;) :D

Oh scapegoats, what can't they f*** up?
:devil:

Hicks
04-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm listening to 1070, the Fan, and basically here's how the new hirings break down:

Herb Simon - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pacers Sports & Entertainment (PS&E). The "voice of the Pacers franchise". The final decision maker. If it has to do with policy, he makes it! If it has to do with the budget, it gets his final yes or no vote. Herb is the big cheese now when it comes to ALL things Pacers.

Jim Morris - President, PS&E (to include the Pacers, Fever and the Fieldhouse). Will run everything NOT basketball related, i.e., marketing, finding sponsors, advertising campaigns, etc. Basically, this is the guy who will make sure the franchise maintains a strong image within the community-at-large.

Rick Fuson - Chief Operating Officer, PS&E. He's the "mover and shaker" within the organization upper office. You want basketballs? This guy gets them. You want to ensure an advertising campaign gets off on the right foot? See Rick Fuson.

Larry Bird - President of Basketball Operations, Indiana Pacers. In charge of scouting teams, contract negotiations, drafting players, enforcing team policies, you name it, he does it as it relates to EVERYTHING BASKETBALL w/the Pacers.

So, Bird IS the man as far as what players come and go with the team, Jim is the "face" out in the community, Herb is the "voice" behind the overall decision making and Rick is the guy who orchestrates the "worker-bees" who do all the dirty work that makes it all come together.

Now, at first I wondered like most fans why would Herb make himself the CEO and go out and hire two people who have never had any basketball managerial experience whatsoever? The answer is simple: sometimes you need people who are outside of familiar circles who can think outside the box and tell those who have been very close to the product what they'r doing wrong or that what they've been doing is no longer working. We've read reports of how "basketball" GMs, i.e., Zeke and Kevin McKale and a few others, haven't faired very well. Now, PS&E will have non-basketball folks who should be able to bring a fresh perspective on things and run the business entities like a business should be run. IMO, Herb was smart to keep the business side separate from the basketball side and to bring in people with experience in shoring up image problems with major companies.

I think you nailed it.

indygeezer
04-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Why do I get the feeling the two-headed monster just became Medusa and it will be even harder to get a deal done?

I also don't like the idea of the owner having a say in who we draft...just what insite does he bring to the table to help make better player decisions. At that point it isn't a matter of $ because that is pretty well dictated by the draft position. ATST I always thought having a Cuban type owner would make things "fun" anyway. Just not sure Herb has it in him to be a Mark Cuban.

Putnam
04-17-2008, 08:03 AM
It's good, friends. Today is the first day of the rest of your lives!

The future starts now.

Anthem
04-17-2008, 09:16 AM
IMHO: Herb took control to not only be more involved but also to save a lot of money. This reduces operating costs. Probably anywhere from 3-5 million a year (or whatever DW was making) and with the crowds I'm sure theres been some red ink lately.
Good point.