PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle to Chicago?

Basketball Fan
04-16-2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51990/20080416/carlisle_the_target_for_chicago/

Unclebuck
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Last night on ESPN's fast break show they said that Rick is the leading candidate for the Bulls and Bucks

JayRedd
04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
This will help in his quest to become the Damon Jones of the Central Division. Minus the mohawk and zoot suits of course.

CableKC
04-16-2008, 03:44 PM
With Carlisle's relationship with Reinsdorf, I'm guessing Chicago.

Should we just create a "JONeal for Hughes+filler+9th pick trade" thread and get it over with? :zip:

Tom White
04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
With Carlisle's relationship with Reinsdorf, I'm guessing Chicago.

Should we just create a "JONeal for Hughes+filler+9th pick trade" thread and get it over with? :zip:

I have seen Hughes' name on a couple of threads recently. Why do you want him?

I've never been impressed at all with his play. To me, he has always come off as an I-Me-Mine sort of player. What am I missing here?

avoidingtheclowns
04-16-2008, 04:05 PM

I've never been impressed at all with his play. To me, he has always come off as an I-Me-Mine sort of player. What am I missing here?

i don't think any one especially wants hughes.

advantages i can see:

perimeter defender -- we're seeing with cleveland right now he actually made a difference
true SG
seems to work better in a faster-paced game, which JO'B encourages
breaks up JO's contract (instead of 21 and 23 mill over the next two seasons you get larry's 13 and drew's 7 the first year and then just larry's the following).disadvantages:

he is going to cut into mike and danny's minutes
$26mil for two years of larry freaking hughes
injury-prone
we have an offense that encourages shooting and larry hughes cannot

idioteque
04-16-2008, 04:18 PM
i don't think any one especially wants hughes.

advantages i can see:

perimeter defender -- we're seeing with cleveland right now he actually made a difference
true SG
seems to work better in a faster-paced game, which JO'B encourages
breaks up JO's contract (instead of 21 and 23 mill over the next two seasons you get larry's 13 and drew's 7 the first year and then just larry's the following).disadvantages:

injury-prone

So it comes down to the question of whether you want an over priced perimeter lock down guy in Larry Hughes or a overpriced presence in the middle in JO. Both seem like they are going to be offensive voids and both seem like they will be injury prone.

I assume if we get Hughes we will either use him as a very expensive backup to Dun or we would try to start him and trade Dun for a good post player and a backup SG. The second option is pretty risky, starting Hughes at SG scares me. Besides, Dunleavy is our #2 offensive threat and we don't really have that many players who can score consistently other than Dunleavy and Granger. You have to get points from somewhere.

rexnom
04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
In theory, Hughes could work decently with Danny as well as Mike considering he's a decent defender and a decent penetrator. I just think we can do better, for less money. However, I think that a 9 pick and Hughes and filler for JO would be great for us.

carpediem024
04-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Wonder if he will work in Chicago.

ABADays
04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
So we will have to climb over another 50-win team.

CableKC
04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
[/LIST]disadvantages:

injury-prone
Are you sure that you did not mix up Hughes disadvantages with JONeal's disadvantages? :rimshot:

Unfortunately, the very reasons that avoidingtheclowns suggested are the very reasons that any team would not want or ( at the very least ) give up too much for JONeal.

Believe me....I don't want a player like Hughes for the very reasons that avoidingtheclowns suggests......but given JONeal's relatively low-trade value....I wouldn't be surprised if Bird did make some deal centered around "Hughes+Gooden for JONeal" type of deal. To me....that fits the type of trade that is more realistic only because I believe that JONeal's trade value is that low.

[start rant]I was really hoping that JONeal would have come back at 100% ( or as close as possible to that ) after sitting out for a few months to showcase to GMs that he's recovered from whatever injury that he sustained earlier. Unfortunately, JO'B and the Medical Staff didn't help his cause when they deemed it necessary to limit him to 20 minutes a game. Although I'm not suggesting that he should have played more minutes even if he was injured.....I think that his injury is much worse then we were led to believe. Instead of coming back in "game form" after sitting for 2 1/2 months, it became apparent that he hasn't fully recovered...which doesn't help any possible trade talks that I am sure that Bird will revisit in the offseason involving JONeal.[/end rant]

At best....I can hope for an "Expiring Contract+Prospect ( or acceptable Backup player )+1st round draft pick" type deal for JONeal ( much like the rest of the All-Star trades netted the Nets, Grizzlies and Lakers :banghead: ), but I'm realistic enough to expect that we won't get that given JONeal's injuries. Unless some No-Brainer comes along....given Bird's penchant for "winning now" as opposed to "rebuilding now"....I think that he is looking for Players with Experience/Talent that can help the team now ( likely over the next 2 seasons ) instead of hoping for some prospect to get us over whatever "hump" that we got ourselves stuck behind while giving us some SalaryCap Flexiblility in the next season.

In theory, Hughes could work decently with Danny as well as Mike considering he's a decent defender and a decent penetrator. I just think we can do better, for less money. However, I think that a 9 pick and Hughes and filler for JO would be great for us.
Although I would ( obviously ) prefer a "Hinrich+Gooden for JONeal" pick, I could possibly consider a "Hughes+Gooden+9th for JONeal+11th pick" IF there is a player on the board that the Pacers wanted that won't be available at the 11th spot that will be available at the 9th spot.

Young
04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Rick is such a damn good coach. I would love to see him back in the league again but I also love to see him on ESPN. One of the best they have.

The Bulls have some talent for sure. I think he would do well there. They have some issues to work out yet but I think they will be fine and even better if they get Rick as their coach.

Naptown_Seth
04-16-2008, 11:13 PM
So we will have to climb over another 50-win team.
I think most on here know this is my reaction too.

I mean is it out of the question after seeing him have huge win total jumps twice before. By his history you'd reasonably expect Chicago to get back to 46+ wins next year.

Oh, and he's done well with Ben Wallace on his team before. I also think Noah is his kind of player.

All I know is it won't make me feel better to say "see I told you" if Rick's team is putting the Pacers behind him. Can't a West team give him a shot?

wintermute
04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
ben wallace isn't on the bulls any more ;)

rick is too good of a coach to not get another chance. it's just a bit weird that only central division teams seem interested (though he was rumored for the seattle job last year)