PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Melo busted for a DUI

Basketball Fan
04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6301551&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

:censored:

I hate it when people drink and drive!

Putting that aside I would like to point it for once it is not a Pacer that got busted ....

idioteque
04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Denver Nugget Carmelo Anthony was charged with a DUI last night. Anthony, 23, visited Indianapolis on November 10th, 2007 for the Denver game against the Pacers, and was seen fraternizing with Jamal Tinsley before tipoff. ;)

Basketball Fan
04-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Well of course he was hanging out with the Tinman how come nobody got shot?

Jonathan
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=6301551&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

:censored:

I hate it when people drink and drive!

Putting that aside I would like to point it for once it is not a Pacer that got busted ....

This hurts the Stop Snitching Movement!!!

Indianapolis_girly
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
tsk tsk tsk.
I thought 'Melo was smarter than that.
I wish LeBron would get busted for SOMETHING. Hate that dude.
:P

Basketball Fan
04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
tsk tsk tsk.
I thought 'Melo was smarter than that.
I wish LeBron would get busted for SOMETHING. Hate that dude.
:P

He had a speeding ticket a few months ago that was about it.

grace
04-14-2008, 04:13 PM

Oh please, I'm sure somewhere there's a headline that says "Just a mere 4 months and 18 days after playing the Indiana Pacers Carmelo Anthony arrested for DUI."

duke dynamite
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but I bet you this doesn't get as much attention in the league that we would say if one of our players did this...

Indianapolis_girly
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
He had a speeding ticket a few months ago that was about it.
Yeah, I remember that. He was goin 100 mph or something like that.
He's such a bad*ss lol.

Indianapolis_girly
04-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, but I bet you this doesn't get as much attention in the league that we would say if one of our players did this... Yeah, that's pretty much a true statement, sadly.

tdubb03
04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Melo's PA is in this week's ESPN The Magazine and she says something about being on call 24/7 and fielding calls at all hours of the night. Talk about timing.

NuffSaid
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
That's the third negative report I've observed concerning Melo since he came into the league.

1st - possession of marajuana (wasn't much...just a joint...no big in the grand scheme of things...)

2nd - reckless driving (speeding)

3rd - DUI.

None them trump the SJax "gun slinger" episode or the Tinsley drive-by incident, but one may start to suspect Memo of having a substance abuse problem, and in the long-run that could be far worse than any recent Pacers off-court incident published to date.

AesopRockOn
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Should have happened a week ago before the Warriors were practically knocked out. Melo's only thinking about himself. :mad:

JayRedd
04-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Anyone know what he blew?

King Tuts Tomb
04-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Listening to Rich Bucker on ESPN now, saying toxicology reports haven't been released yet. Also says Melo failed some roadside tests but was released a few hours after being picked up.

I don't know the specifics of DUIs, does anyone else?. If you blow over the limit is it just automatically a DUI, or are there varying degrees of what you can be charged with?

Kaufman
04-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Its a state to state thing - the standard though is that if you blow a certain level, it is called a DWI driving while intoxicated. A DUI is something that is moreso at the discretion of the police officer - who can say that the person in question was acting erratic, and there is a presumption that that erratic behavior is due to the influence of a substance.

My guess is that he blew under the legal limit and the cop cited him on the basis of erratic behavior in conjuntion with supporting evidence, such as the smell of alcohol, etc.

A cop might be on this board and better be able to clarify but the above is my understanding of the standard laws around the country.

duke dynamite
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
http://images.t-shirts.com/jpegs/internal/Brian%2Fangry%20old%20man.jpg

That darn kid! He's a bad seed!

JayRedd
04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Every state law now has .08% and up as illegal. There used to be pretty wide disparities but then some federal highway funds became tied to maintaining the .08 standard and every state conformed.

In Colorado, DUI is based solely on body chemistry (.08 and you're guility) or you can get a DWAI (driving while ability impaired) when "the prosecution is only required to prove that the defendant was affected to the slightest degree, so that the person is less able than he or she ordinarily would have been to exercise clear judgment."

King Tuts Tomb
04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Well I hope that it was a DWAI. Although there's no good reason to drive after drinking, but I'd much rather he had only a couple drinks instead of being completely trashed.

Shade
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
So, does this mean we'll be trading Danny and our draft pick for Melo? :innocent:

Brian
04-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Theres so many places I could go with that one...

Young
04-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Every state law now has .08% and up as illegal. There used to be pretty wide disparities but then some federal highway funds became tied to maintaining the .08 standard and every state conformed.

Just curious, but does anyone know about how many drinks you have to have for a .08%? Granted it depends on the type of drink I guess.

Roaming Gnome
04-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Just curious, but does anyone know about how many drinks you have to have for a .08%? Granted it depends on the type of drink I guess.

As for how many it takes, it is going to be different due to weight (body mass) and amount (% of alcohol) and amount of time.

It's been a long time since I seen the chart, but I believe they equal 1-12 oz beer = 1-8oz glass of wine = 1- 1 1/2 oz. shot of 100 proof spirits (hard liquor). I believe they said it took less then 6 beers in an hours time for a 200 lb man to be over the legal limit.

I'm sure that someone else on here can give you a better idea, but that is just what I can conjure up from memory.

Honestly, anyones best move is to not drive if you are planning a night of drinking or know that you are going to be drinking more then that one beer with your dinner. Hell, keep about $40 or someones phone number tucked away that you know will come and get your limey arse. DUI's are expensive! They will either cost you thousands of dollars in attourny fees or in alcohol related classes mandated by the state.

I know quite a few friends that have been jammed up on DUI's and one thing the School of Hard Knocks and Murphy's Law will teach you... You don't have to be drunk or even buzzed to get caught. One friend got popped on a bad brake light, another friend got drilled on a license plate light that was burned out, and my neighbor didn't use a turn signal. Then you know what comes next..."Sir, have you been drinking alcohol tonight?"

Dece
04-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Depends on body weight as well. For a guy of Melo's size, it'd take 8 beers over the course of 3 hours to be .08 according to this: http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm calculator. Now, I figure an NBA star is probably not drinking beer, so it really depends, but when you are weighing in at over 2 bills, it takes a pretty serious amount of drinking to push the limit, more than you can be mistaken about in my opinion.

Trader Joe
04-15-2008, 01:35 AM
I bet a guy of Melo's size would be over the legal limit at about 4-5 shots in an hour.

Roaming Gnome
04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
I bet a guy of Melo's size would be over the legal limit at about 4-5 shots in an hour.

I think an elephant would be drunk with 5 shots of some strong stuff in an hours time.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
melo already was busted for having weed in his bag...that oopz my friend borrowed it a few days ago. Must be his...

Naptown_Seth
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Well obviously the Denver fans will now boo him until management feels forced to trade him away. Should be a pretty brutal playoffs to watch because of this.

Or are you saying this doesn't happen in all these other cities? Are you saying that because they are in the playoffs and winning and that because he's playing well enough that they are just going to forget their high moral stance and let him slide?

Outrageous.

I say we offer Denver a way out with moral salvation player A, Mike Dunleavy. Get some character and class into that place. With AI, Smith and Melo, plus all those tats, they need a little milk. Melo for Dun, if only to save them from the bad PR they might be asked to endure for the sake of winning (and no one wants that).

* it's true, I've never met a horse I couldn't kill again. I've seen too many zombie flicks to risk it.

Naptown_Seth
04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Well the cop gave him a ride back to the hotel instead of making him sit in the drunk tank if that gives you some idea.

Oh, on the meter you mean. IDK.

BTW, since I don't see the details here. He called his fiancee and she refused to come pick him up. :D If this doesn't ring the bell of "repeat situation" I don't know what does. Then instead of being put in the tank till he sobered up since no one would come claim him, a sheriff took it upon himself to give Melo a ride back to the hotel they were staying at (his fiancee and him, not the cop and him...AFAIK).

And people were uptight here when the Pacers players weren't strung up and "got away with" probations and fines. Imagine a cop driving over to Shawne's house and saying "oh, we figured you overslept so I came to give you a lift. Take your time, we postponed till this afternoon." Ala the Chappelle joke about black criminals getting the white collar criminal treatment (turn yourself in at your discretion).

JayRedd
04-15-2008, 07:56 PM
He also fights like a girl.

OnlyPacersLeft
04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Well obviously the Denver fans will now boo him until management feels forced to trade him away. Should be a pretty brutal playoffs to watch because of this.

Or are you saying this doesn't happen in all these other cities? Are you saying that because they are in the playoffs and winning and that because he's playing well enough that they are just going to forget their high moral stance and let him slide?

Outrageous.

I say we offer Denver a way out with moral salvation player A, Mike Dunleavy. Get some character and class into that place. With AI, Smith and Melo, plus all those tats, they need a little milk. Melo for Dun, if only to save them from the bad PR they might be asked to endure for the sake of winning (and no one wants that).

* it's true, I've never met a horse I couldn't kill again. I've seen too many zombie flicks to risk it.

exactly...they should trade him away cause bad PR is horrible. You can't compare it to winning...wins do not take away the fans bad perception of your team.

Kaufman
04-15-2008, 08:59 PM
subjectively, his apology today didn't sound very convincing