PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the 2008 Indiana Pacers newcomer of the year- Travis Diener

Kstat
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Figured I'd start it off today, and do 2 polls a week.

Have at it, folks.

BPump33
04-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Diener, hands down.

Kaufman
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Diener>>>>>Rush>Flip>>>Owens

Erik
04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Diener

idioteque
04-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Diener. He did a respectable job as starting PG in the crappy circumstances. I think he'll be a solid backup for awhile.

Infinite MAN_force
04-13-2008, 08:24 PM
How about graham. I guess he played the least minutes but had better showings than owens anyway...

Diener gets my vote either way.

Hicks
04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
In the immediate I could have gone with Flip, but I chose the slightly broader approach and went with Diener. Our best backup PG since Anthony Johnson. Kudos to Larry Bird for getting him.

Kstat
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
How about graham. I guess he played the least minutes but had better showings than owens anyway...

I kinda forgot he was a new guy, my bad. I can add him if enough people want to vote for him.

Young
04-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Has to be Diener.

Kareem and Flip have been solid but to me Diener had the toughest job. He was the unknown on the team being asked to start at the toughest spot in the lineup, point guard. We had no good backup for him until we signed Flip and now start him.

I'm pretty happy though with what all of those three have given us. But to me Diener is the newcomer of the year.

AesopRockOn
04-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Wow, Diener is cleaning up. I didn't think his nicknames were that good.

Kraft
04-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Travis Diener, your major offseason addition, boys and girls. Ugh.

wintermute
04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
agreed with mal that flip has had more immediate impact, but diener is the only one who is likely to be here long term.

i have had bad things to say about diener after his horrible start but he has really turned his game around. he's a great backup pg.

i would have considered graham too except that his minutes were really too low to make an impact.

LoneGranger33
04-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Kareem Rush had his moments, but without Diener this team grinds to a virtual standstill.

duke dynamite
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Diener. Hands down.

pig norton
04-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, gotta go with Diener.

BlueNGold
04-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Where would we be at PG without Diener?

Kegboy
04-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Kudos to Larry Bird for getting him.

Now now, I thought Larry's regime didn't start until two weeks ago? Wasn't that what everyone said? New start and all.

:devil:

Kegboy
04-13-2008, 10:27 PM
As for the poll, where's Stanko? It'd just be some crappy foreign restaurant without Stanko!

SoupIsGood
04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
On the 'mobile since day one. : )

t1hs0n
04-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Gotta go with T-rav on this one.

PacerGuy
04-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Deiner played the most by default, thus the votes.
Rush, IMO, was key during streatches t/y, & proved he belongs in the NBA. I feel we under-utralized him. When he played consistant minutes, he was very good. Had Dunleavy not unexpectedly become a stud, I have no doubts Rush would have gotten the PT, & would be now getting the same kinda love that Deiner is getting here now. That's whi I vote Rush.

Young
04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Where would we be at PG without Diener?

Keith McLeod.

duke dynamite
04-14-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm sorry my name is Travi and I'm pretty much a big deal. You never heard of me? That sounds absurd to me. The way I stole your attention was flat out burglary.

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2003/03/26/image546204x.jpg

Kaufman
04-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Maybe we shouldn't have gotten rid of Anthony Johnson. Maybe we shouldn't have gotten rid of James Jones.

duke dynamite
04-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Should'a could'a, kauffy.

Doddage
04-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Kareem Rush. I'm going to be very disappointed when he leaves the team this offseason since he provides the team with perimeter shooting and surprisingly good perimeter defense when he's on his game. Sure, Rush may not be starting material, but I think he's an excellent backup when we gain stability at the 2-guard.

My choice is with all due respect to Diener. You gotta admire what the kid's done and how he's developed throughout the season. He's getting comfortable and you can gain a sense of confidence when he has the ball. Again, this is another case of him being a great backup once we get settled with a starting PG. But, I still have to give Rush the props here because of the D.

PiratePrincess
04-14-2008, 01:03 AM
I would say Diener along with everyone else, just cause he's had the most playing time in the PG position (tenure wins I guess). I think a case could be made for Flip too, although his impact has been short term (and has also been dwindling in the last couple of games). I think Travis has been very effective playing off the bench, and with a strong starting PG (be it Flip or someone else) the two could pack a strong punch next season. (That and he's adorable as all get out :D)

Naptown_Seth
04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
I went with Flip, a real steal considering the situation. Zero defense and I'm not sure that even bothers him, but he's a better off-dribble scorer/penetrator than Quis or even Jackson before him. Diener's been a solid backup and if you consider full season impact then he has a case obviously, but from night to night currently I expect Flip to have the most impact.

I hate the perimeter defense still, especially from Flip/TD, but at least at this point I feel like they are fielding an NBA PG tandem (finally).

Flip isn't Tinsley due to passing, but he's not all that different overall. I'd keep him (and TD) even if you draft a PG. Flip can combo for you a little and gives you depth while a rookie figures it out.

One nice thing on Flip and TD, not a lot of cost to add them. If only they added someone of equal value but at the 8-10m level (or if Tins/JO had been that).

Unclebuck
04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Diener, without question. I have enjoyed watching him play. One thing I've noticed especially in the past 10-15 games or so - his defense isn't that bad . Sure there are times when he gets overpowered by the bigger point guards - but Travis really tries and he never quits on a play.

He provides instant energy, and knows how to run a team.

Sure, I wish his shooting and ability to blow by defenders was better - but overall, I'm glad he's on the Pacers team.

One thing that is never mentioned about him is his leadership - his teammates respond to him, they enjoy playing with him. He is also popular with his teammates just as a person - he must be a funny guy because he often has his teammates laughing on the bench

Hicks
04-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Maybe we shouldn't have gotten rid of Anthony Johnson. Maybe we shouldn't have gotten rid of James Jones.

No thanks to AJ. There's a reason he keeps getting traded, and I think attitude is a big part of it.

Oneal07
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Both Diener and Rush!!! Diener mostly tho

Shade
04-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I went with Diener primarily because I believe he'll be the only one of those four still here next season. And if we hadn't picked him up before Tinsley went down... :uhoh:

Dr. Goldfoot
04-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm going with Rush. Diener has the lowest shooting percentage on the team. They had to sign a free agent mid-season to shore up the point spot and he lost his starting job to that guy within two weeks.

Mourning
04-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Diener and to me it's not even close. Rush is the runner-up for me with Murray beying third who could have gone second if he had played here for a longer period.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Kegboy
04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
No thanks to AJ. There's a reason he keeps getting traded, and I think attitude is a big part of it.

Just like Mark Jackson. What a jackass.

Kegboy
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I went with Diener primarily because I believe he'll be the only one of those four still here next season. And if we hadn't picked him up before Tinsley went down... :uhoh:

Considering he's the only one with a contract next year, of course he'll be here. And one would hope if we didn't sign him we would have signed another PG.

NuffSaid
04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Diener, hands down.
Ditto!

Hicks
04-14-2008, 05:06 PM

No.

Roaming Gnome
04-15-2008, 12:09 AM

Not exactly... AJ was savy enough with the local media here, but it was implied that he was a flat out cancer in that locker room. Considering the grumblings comming out of Atlanta, sounds like AJ was just being AJ.

duke dynamite
04-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Not exactly... AJ was savy enough with the local media here, but it was implied that he was a flat out cancer in that locker room. Considering the grumblings comming out of Atlanta, sounds like AJ was just being AJ.
AJ was always bitter that he would be a second string for his whole NBA career. He didn't like it.

QuickRelease
04-15-2008, 12:21 AM

Dude, what is up with your Chalmers man crush? :-p

duke dynamite
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Dude, what is up with your Chalmers man crush? :-p
Because he is such a hottie.:p

Kegboy
04-15-2008, 08:54 AM

I really wish somebody would actually post articles about these things. Yes, he had a tiff with Woodson early in the year. Then he had a great stretch and everyone in the locker room was quoted saying what a great leader he was and he got them believing in winning. Then they traded him for Mike Bibby. Wow, that's a real slap in the face, getting traded for Mike Bibby.

McKeyFan
04-15-2008, 09:30 AM
This was a difficult choice.

I would have voted for Rush, except that he got benched in the last few games when we made our best run. I still am not sure what that was about, but it makes it clear that the nod must then go to Diener or Flip, both of whom made an impact on our last run.

I voted for Flip. We desperately needed his ability to create off the dribble. He is also a dangerous shooter and we finally got some respect on the perimeter from our point guard.

However, I almost voted for Diener. Because routinely Flip would get into a funk where his lesser passing skills could not get the team flowing. In comes Diener, and the team makes an immediate recovery and a run, despite Diener's poor shooting much of the time, and despite his inability to drive and score (he does drive and pass, however).

I guess I'll have to ascribe it to UB's notion that Diener is a true leader out there for the team.

I like the idea of Diener as a backup for the point guard we MUST get over the summer. And I like the idea of Flip as a combo backup at 1 and 2, and also a kind of Vinnie Johnson microwave player to give us an offensive surge when we need it.

Go Pacers.

Unclebuck
04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I have to side with kegboy on the AJ issue. Overall I believe he was a plus in the locker room for us, and a plus as far as leadership was concerned. Was he perfect - no - did he think he should have been starting over Jamaal - sure - but then so did I.

grace
04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Not exactly... AJ was savy enough with the local media here, but it was implied that he was a flat out cancer in that locker room.

If he was a cancer he wasn't the primary disease, but rather one that metastasized from the original source.

jeffg-body
04-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I had a difficult time with this one as a few others did. I picked Flip because when he came in there was a renewed sense of energy and chemistry with the Pacers. Right behind that was Diener and Rush

Kstat
04-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Diener wins with %79 of the vote.