PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: Did He or Didn't He?

PacerGuy
04-11-2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIWeEFV59d4

What do you think?

Stryder
04-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Fake.

If you cannot tell the difference, then well...good luck to you in life.

Major Cold
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
he could but didn't. There is no way he would film it if he did. The Lakers would be ticked.

PacerGuy
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Fake.

If you cannot tell the difference, then well...good luck to you in life.
It' easily done for someone w/ his leaps, but I agree it's likely fake. This stunt is done in HS & college parking lots all the time. Q is, is Kobe egotistical enough to do it for real - on film, & during the season. No doubt in my mind he has done this for real at some point.

Gyron
04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
You can see his shadow on the side of the car. Totally fake.

Los Angeles
04-11-2008, 01:33 PM
You can see his shadow on the side of the car. Totally fake.

Technically, that's the shadow of the streetlight.

But it doesn't matter, there are so so many elements that just don't pass the "smell test" - Like the fact that it's filmed on top of a parking garage (doesn't matter how fast the car goes, it better be able to stop in a hurry) and the MULTIPLE product placements and mentions.

One more corporate produced "viral" video to throw on top of the smelly heap. :unimpress

PacerGuy
04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
It is suppose to be used for a NIKE comercial, thus the product/ shoe hype. Thus too the skeptical objections.
The car for these type of jumps are usually goinh 20-30 mi/hr. The shadows of the light post & Kobe himself actually add to the support, but at close look, the angle of the wheels support that while very close, the car was just off to the side, & never actually "under" him - thou Kobe is more then capable of this.

grace
04-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Fake, fake, fake, fakety, fake, fake, fake.

tdubb03
04-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Doug Collins asked him about it on TNT, his response was something like "It's Hollywood baby." This whole viral marketing thing is getting rampant.

Shade
04-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Just FYI, when you see it suddenly, with no time to observe every little shadow or inconsistency, it's easy to believe it may be real.

I thought it was fake (which, in hindsight, it obviously is), but part of me believed that there was a chance Kobe could be this stupid. He's never struck me as the brightest crayon in the box, and as PacerGuy said, this stuff does happen in real life.

idioteque
04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I thought this thread would be about something entirely different....

N8R
04-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Me too

It is totally fake. He wouldnt risk it for one and two look at the shoes the whole time. Before he goes to jump they actually go into the ground as in below the level of cement on take off and landing. Watch the slow motion version and just look at his feet and you will be able to tell without a doubt that it is obviously fake.

bellisimo
04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
i thought that was a shadow of the MICROPHONE and not the LIGHTPOST...

tora tora
04-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Did Kobe claim it was real? Nope...

heywoode
04-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't know what newman is talking about in regards to his feet, but on the slo-mo one it looked like the car was offset from him slightly. That is the only thing I can gather that would tell me it was fake.

It would be kinda cool if the people who seem to instantly know, without a doubt, that it's fake would just give an explanation rather than be smug and remind me how much of a loser I am for not knowing immediately.

It's okay, you're still cool without ridiculing anyone else to prove it......

Erik
04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't know what newman is talking about in regards to his feet, but on the slo-mo one it looked like the car was offset from him slightly. That is the only thing I can gather that would tell me it was fake.

It would be kinda cool if the people who seem to instantly know, without a doubt, that it's fake would just give an explanation rather than be smug and remind me how much of a loser I am for not knowing immediately.
It's okay, you're still cool without ridiculing anyone else to prove it......Thanks for saying that, I feel the same way and my feelings are hurt:(

bellisimo
04-12-2008, 11:41 AM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1811089

just watch that video...and you'll see what the reasoning some people are going with ;)

seriously...if you have watched the first one...you gotta watch this...

Basketball Fan
04-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Just FYI, when you see it suddenly, with no time to observe every little shadow or inconsistency, it's easy to believe it may be real.

I thought it was fake (which, in hindsight, it obviously is), but part of me believed that there was a chance Kobe could be this stupid. He's never struck me as the brightest crayon in the box, and as PacerGuy said, this stuff does happen in real life.

Maybe before he was on the Lakers he may have tried it but I don't think he would do it now because its too risky he usually is careful when it comes to conditioning etc. That and we would've heard Buss fine him by now.

ajbry
04-12-2008, 02:58 PM
It's obviously fake...

1) It's one of those informal and cool viral marketing schemes that are all over the damn place and seems exactly like something Nike would do.
2) Kobe would never do it on tape and probably wouldn't do it period. Basketball is his life and all the time and effort he spends conditioning his body would make an act like this an incredible risk to the hard work he puts in.
3) Notice the car in the background and it's small size, relative to Kobe. The parking lot is obviously pretty wide and the depth perception makes you think the car is closer to the camera than it actually is, but it could quite easily be a few feet away from Kobe and you wouldn't be able to notice a tangible difference.

Kstat
04-12-2008, 06:39 PM
This is so sick and so funny at the same time...

Vl869Jx3U4s

Kstat
04-12-2008, 06:44 PM
This is awesome.

UTZPETb9oYY

grace
04-12-2008, 07:32 PM
I thought it was fake (which, in hindsight, it obviously is), but part of me believed that there was a chance Kobe could be this stupid.

I dislike Kobe as much as the next guy, but even I don't think he's that stupid.

Indianapolis_girly
04-13-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't think it's real, but it looked cool the first time I saw it.

PacerPete
04-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I dislike Kobe as much as the next guy, but even I don't think he's that stupid.

I think it was stupid to even fake doing it.
Does anyone really think NO ONE will try this now?

:dance::dance::dance: just waitin' for the lawsuit.

LoneGranger33
04-13-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIWeEFV59d4

What do you think?

I can't believe they put the rape video on youtube. :devil:

Basketball Fan
04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
I think it was stupid to even fake doing it.
Does anyone really think NO ONE will try this now?

:dance::dance::dance: just waitin' for the lawsuit.

Please.. how many people have done stupid stunts before this? Ever heard of a show called Jackass? How is this worse. Its a marketing campaign nothing more I mean if Peyton Manning jumped off a bridge in a commercial would you do it?

I mean if you or anyone is that dumb the world is probably better off without you for not grasping fantasy vs. reality.

They couldn't sue him either because he does say in the beginning "Do not try this at home"

bellisimo
04-14-2008, 09:58 AM
They couldn't sue him either because he does say in the beginning "Do not try this at home"

well obviously...who has a house big enough to have a speeding car go through it?

duke dynamite
04-14-2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1811089

carpediem024
04-16-2008, 05:35 PM
LOL Who would be dumb enough to sue a Superstar because they attemted to jump a car and failed? Even if it works!

Oh and yes, Kobe did. :)